Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:33   #16

Re: Ather's charging connectors are incompatible with other EVs

I see this as the same problem that Tesla had! Tesla has always used its own proprietary charging connector in its vehicles to work with the Supercharger network in North America - And when faced with the new world reality of CCS1/ CCS2 , CHademo , - they came-up with a solution that I'd call the "Indian Jugaad"!

https://electrek.co/2019/04/03/tesla...er-first-look/

If someone from Ather is reading this - You cna come up with such an adapter - Cost effective and solves the problem.
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:23   #17
BANNED

I think these adapters will soon be dime a dozen.

Remember at one time each mobile co had its own adapter. Then USB (2.0) was adopted and now 3.0 is more popular.

Let us hope this issue is tackled soon.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 15:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiCoO2 View Post
This is for those who are considering buying an Ather scooter.
For their scooters and chargers, Ather is using this connector:
I didn't understand. The image of the charging socket on the Hyundai Kona looks as if it will accept the Ather's charger in the top portion. Pin layout seems to be identical.
Old 28th February 2023, 12:47   #19

I have been doing some research as I had booked an ather 450x. My findings.

There is three kinds of charging according the major international standards ( ccs2, CHAdeMO, tesla, GB/T)

A/C Level 1 & A/C Level 2 (Home usually ) :In both A/C charging the thing people refer to as a charger is usually just a power outlet with some safeties built in. The charger is inside the car . Level 1 is somewhat obsolete and everything new is usually level 2.
D/C (Chargin stations ) :this is the fastest standard and as it developed mainly for developed countries with little two wheeler usage they have no support for 48-72v and they only support high voltage 300 –1000 volts .

Now most cars in India including most tata and every other electric cars use those standards , however that is not so for scooters they are different in both A/C charging as well as d/c fast charging
Scooter Home charging : its similar to the standardised Level 1&2 except that the charger is outside , so you are actually giving the scooter DC power, but at 48-90v unlike the international dc standards. I think this is being done to reduce the weight or save space inside scooters/bikes..Its slow takes 4-6 hours for a scooter.
Charging stations : 48-90v but at much higher current to charge the vehicle in one hour or less.

Indian Government is aware of it. They have extended Chinese GB/T and built a standard called Bharat 001 . It uses same connector as Chinese GB/T which is supporting power levels similar to international standards . Indian standards extends these by having low voltage D/C fast charging .

The new Tigor ev runs on low voltage , 72 volts and has a GB/T connector it can also fast charge ,, so it is getting there . I have yet to see a combined charger that supports both low-voltage-dc-GB/T and high-voltage-dc-GB/T together but everything necessary seems to be in place . As its compatible voltage vice Ather finally can make an adapter for Bharat-001 with Gb/T adapter if they want to , they needn't do voltage conversion like international standards , only translate the communication protocol.
The Ather connector looks like the old European one , so it may be using the powerline standards for communication , whereas the Chinese standards use CAN bus. A small MCU for translation maybe the only thing that's needed for making adapter .

PS: I personally find the Tesla's standards most advanced and elegant but expensive to implement , but the Chinese exceeds everything else in specs and is also cheaper for everyone , CCS2 isn't exceptional in anyway. The idea of extending the Chinese standards to include lower end EV was a brilliant idea in my opinion .

Last edited by shyam163 : 28th February 2023 at 12:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks