Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 19:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Anglo-Indian Love Affair: My Baker Express Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I know. . . but that's the sort of the 3 mad men in Top Gear would and and why we love them, dont we?
Ofcourse i love them and the show as a entertainment show - but i would never take auto advice from the content on the show :-)

PS: despite what they show on TV - all 3 of them consider Italian auto's as the one;s to own
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 23:13   #32
BHPian

Somedays I see slight white smoke from exhausts during cold starts and even the exhaust smell a little different. My bike has just covered 1300 kms. Have you noticed anything similar ?
Old 21st December 2019, 00:08   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Somedays I see slight white smoke from exhausts during cold starts and even the exhaust smell a little different. My bike has just covered 1300 kms. Have you noticed anything similar ?
That's most probably the aftereffect of condensation.

Though it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the oil inspection window.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 00:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
That's most probably the aftereffect of condensation.

Though it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the oil inspection window.
Oil levels are not changing, I will keep an eye. My bike was kept inside the parking and it was raining from morning in Trivandrum. I started the bike around 8 pm and kept in idle. Can this be due to the exhaust design that water might be entering during cold nights or during rains.
Old 21st December 2019, 01:18   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Oil levels are not changing, I will keep an eye. My bike was kept inside the parking and it was raining from morning in Trivandrum. I started the bike around 8 pm and kept in idle. Can this be due to the exhaust design that water might be entering during cold nights or during rains.
Its not a design flaw or anything of that sort, happens to all motorcycles. If your motorcycle was burning oil you'd find residue when you run your finger around the inside of the exhaust tip.

This most probably would be condensed water evaporating as the exhaust heats up, this is as normal an event as any.

So don't bother worrying.
Old 21st December 2019, 04:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I
Then they went on to drain the engine oil and replace it with used cooking oil from a burger shop. . . the little Cub roared and went on with its tasks. Finally they took it to the top of a multi-storied building and dropped it from the top.

The presenter walked up to the mangled remains of the poor Cub and thumbed the starter button . . . In one crank the Cub engine started and putted away like nothing happened..
They did this with an Old Toyota Pickup truck too, some years ago on Top Gear - something about how a Toyota was “un-kill-able” and after doing all sorts of unmentionable things to that poor vehicle and subjecting it to unspeakable tortures, that poor thing was further stretch tested as to whether it would crank to a start and it DID!
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Updating on this thread after a rather long hiatus!

I have covered a little more than 13k km with my Interceptor and I am really happy with the motorcycle that Royal Enfield has crafted. The Engine is still the highlight of the whole package with good reliability and a fitting sound track to boot.

My Interceptor is still running without any major accessories or mods. A powerage slip-on exhaust, tubeless tire conversion and a small vinyl job is all that is different from other Baker express Interceptors! Still on stock tyres, no brake pads have been replaced yet, only the lock-set along with keys were changed under warranty due to the fuel cap sealant rubber failing. Why that tiny piece of rubber is not a child-part is beyond me

I have learnt to live with the stock seat and though I have ideas to improve it, there has not been a pressing need to change them, it is still manageable for even my inter-city rides.

I honestly do not calculate the mileage very accurately, but right estimate is 22 kmpl in the City and 26-28 kmpl on the highway is what I should be getting.

Got my bike serviced this week, and paid INR 5210 - as I had to change the accelerator cable which was faulty. They also replaced the clutch cable as they said it was hard to operate - but I honestly find it to be harder now that it was before the replacement

Just wanted to update the forum as this thread was devoid of any updates for 3 years now.
aravind.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

Got my bike serviced this week, and paid INR 5210 - as I had to change the accelerator cable which was faulty. They also replaced the clutch cable as they said it was hard to operate - but I honestly find it to be harder now that it was before the replacement

Just wanted to update the forum as this thread was devoid of any updates for 3 years now.
5K sounds like a lot to me. I am not aware of the service cost of RE bikes. Can you please post the breakup of service cost and which is this ?
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
An update without a recent photograph will not be counted!

I bought a spare clutch cable and after replacing the accelerator cable, I thought of installing the clutch cable my self. I conveniently kept on postponing, yet to install it.

In the new year '23, I plan to get the seat job done also.

In Pune, there is an ongoing drive by cops for aftermarket exhausts, year end targets may be. I just skip the thought of having one, apart from the sound, weight reduction comes to my mind sometimes!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 22nd December 2022 at 15:10.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tappet? Tappet adjustments? Never done once in ~13K Km? Mine is a little over 8.5K Km & already started the jiggling noise indicating to adjust the tappets.

I've been very skeptical taking it to RE showroom as YT videos spoiled me showing the utmost care being taken during the process which I'm sure none of the RE ASC will follow for my apprehension.

Hence seeking the opinion of esteemed forum members for any tips that can be followed to ensure some care if not utmost care please.
Old 23rd December 2022, 11:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
5K sounds like a lot to me. I am not aware of the service cost of RE bikes. Can you please post the breakup of service cost and which is this ?
The standard oil, oil filter, air filter and regular consumables along with labor costs usually account for 4-4.2k as the accelerator cable and clutch cable had to be changed this time, the bill is 1k higher than usual. I will send a copy of the invoice by evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Tappet? Tappet adjustments? Never done once in ~13K Km? Mine is a little over 8.5K Km & already started the jiggling noise indicating to adjust the tappets.

I've been very skeptical taking it to RE showroom as YT videos spoiled me showing the utmost care being taken during the process which I'm sure none of the RE ASC will follow for my apprehension.

Hence seeking the opinion of esteemed forum members for any tips that can be followed to ensure some care if not utmost care please.
I guess somewhere around the second or third service I requested them to have the tappet clearance done, but there was not much improvement to find a difference after getting that done (No idea if they really did it, TBH) And I am so used to this tappet noise now that it feels normal to me

PS: I too have a CBR250R+Interceptor garage in Chennai, just like you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
An update without a recent photograph will not be counted!

In Pune, there is an ongoing drive by cops for aftermarket exhausts, year end targets may be. I just skip the thought of having one, apart from the sound, weight reduction comes to my mind sometimes!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
I do not like loud exhausts - they can be a menace inside the city and a pain on the highways. But the Powerage exhaust with dB killers installed is just throaty and not loud at all - maybe why I am flying under the radar for now. Touch wood!!

And yes, I missed attaching photos in my previous post, apologies for that and thank you for the prompt
Some recent images before I sign-off -

From the Kolli Hills ride with a close friend in September this year. The hairpins were a little less exciting than when I came here 3 years ago on the CBR250R.
An Anglo-Indian Love Affair: My Baker Express Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-kolli_1outof70.jpg

Taken during a ride to Veerur dam with few Interceptor buddies. Gun-metal grey vinyl to hide the original red colour on the Baker Express.
An Anglo-Indian Love Affair: My Baker Express Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-veeranur-lake.jpg

I have the rear mudguard removed - not very practical but definitely looks sporty.
An Anglo-Indian Love Affair: My Baker Express Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-veeranur-dam.jpg

Even thought the saddle bag does not move about or come loose, they still look very ungainly with all that sag. Thinking of getting the saddle stays from Zana to make them look neat.
An Anglo-Indian Love Affair: My Baker Express Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-somewhere-near-athur.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess somewhere around the second or third service I requested them to have the tappet clearance done, but there was not much improvement to find a difference after getting that done (No idea if they really did it, TBH) And I am so used to this tappet noise now that it feels normal to me
Oh!! Shoots!! I really don't like to live like that; let's see what they do. So far I've made 2 attempts (made booking but never showed up due to apprehension) taking Inty to ASC, but each time I don't have the guts. Partly the reason being, they ask me to leave the bike in the morning & collect it by evening. When probed, they said it's a 5 hours standard work & this is the process they follow (take in the bike morning & deliver by evening); another part reason being, I've the feeler gauge & can do it myself, but don't want to spend time trying to fiddle with the bike especially not knowing whether I need silicone when putting back the cylinder head. The reason ASC says to leave the bike by morning & take by evening, which actually makes sense, that the engine needs to cool down for tappet adjustment. But, when I told them I can deliver the vehicle in a cold state at 9:00 in the morning & whether I can wait & take, they were reluctant to finally agree added more to my apprehension. Let's see how they fare with some of them at ASC knows if they do a bad job the entire ASC will be bad mouthed here, so, I'll certainly take my chances in Jan 2023.

Quote:
PS: I too have a CBR250R+Interceptor garage in Chennai, just like you Sir!
We should perhaps do a CBR & Inty ride from Chennai for a breakfast ride

Quote:
I do not like loud exhausts - they can be a menace inside the city and a pain on the highways. But the Powerage exhaust with dB killers installed is just throaty and not loud at all - maybe why I am flying under the radar for now. Touch wood!!
Yes, please count me in on this for both - hating loud exhaust + love for Powerage; I might opt for brushed steel finish (same as yours) as I'm not a chrome lover unless the steel is treated with Zn which is very rare these days.

Quote:
The hairpins were a little less exciting than when I came here 3 years ago on the CBR250R
As the saying goes, too much of cook spoils the food, too much of hairpins also loses the interest to ride. Having discovered that in 2011 on my very first trip to Kolli, I've always loved Dhimbam, Shiradi, Charmadhi, Agumbe, Vazhikadavu more, but to me, nothing beats the Western Ghats of MH & especially my heart goes for the famous Ganapatipule, Hathkamba, Ratnagiri stretches, just love them!!

Quote:
Taken during a ride to Veerur dam with few Interceptor buddies. Gun-metal grey vinyl to hide the original red colour on the Baker Express
Very good work & it's stunningly gorgeous sir, absolutely stunning!! May be try to get the head pipe also buffed from chrome finish into brushed steel finishing & the bike will look atrociously ravishing

Last edited by aargee : 23rd December 2022 at 12:56.
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Partly the reason being, they ask me to leave the bike in the morning & collect it by evening. When probed, they said it's a 5 hours standard work & this is the process they follow
There is a place called KickStart Garage - sparted by one of the leading mechanics of Interceptor from the RE brand service centre. I haven't tried personally, but many Interceptor owners swear by him for the quality of work and technical knowledge. Maybe you should explore taking you motorcycle to them...

Quote:
We should perhaps do a CBR & Inty ride from Chennai for a breakfast ride
Yes definitely. Would be an honour to ride with CPR

Quote:
As the saying goes, too much of cook spoils the food, too much of hairpins also loses the interest to ride. Having discovered that in 2011 on my very first trip to Kolli, I've always loved Dhimbam, Shiradi, Charmadhi, Agumbe, Vazhikadavu more, but to me, nothing beats the Western Ghats of MH & especially my heart goes for the famous Ganapatipule, Hathkamba, Ratnagiri stretches, just love them!!
Wow!! Somehow I have not explored nothern Karnataka much, except for one ride to Shimoga (wife's place) and even on that ride I did not explore much. Should definitely explore more in the coming years

Quote:
Very good work & it's stunningly gorgeous sir, absolutely stunning!! May be try to get the head pipe also buffed from chrome finish into brushed steel finishing & the bike will look atrociously ravishing
Yes, I have been wanting to get that done too - especially because the shiny headers and the brushed and dull end cans look a little weird.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 20:19   #44
BHPian

Have you thought of converting to alloy wheels anytime soon ? Curious

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks