BHPian

Re: Which scooter for my wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post

1) Budget - 65 to 75 K
2) Mileage - 40 to 45 KMPL
3) ABS - Desirable
4) Daily commute : 30 KM
5) Height - 5'4". Legs should be reachable ?

In the quoted budget of 65-75K, most 110cc scooters fit well e.g. Activa 5G, Jupiter, Wego,Hero Pleasure, Yamaha Ray etc. Most of these scooters are fuss free and do well in most city conditions. Mileage will be mostly 40-45 kmpl within city limits.

The next segment will be 125 cc which have Activa 125, Grazia, Access and TVS torq. I would recommend this if you would also be riding this often. These will have CBS as do most of the 110 cc scooters. The mileage will be sub 40 kmpl and will be around 5-15K on a higher side depending upon the variant.

The only commuter segment scooters to sport ABS is Aprilia and Vespa 150 cc engine versions. These will be 90K + on road.
Old 20th August 2019, 16:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
So finally I recommend Yamaha Fascino for your wife.

Your Requirements :

1) Budget - 65 to 75 K - CHECK
2) Mileage - 40 to 45 KMPL - CHECK
3) ABS - Desirable - NO ABS but it has UBS (similar to CBS)
4) Daily commute : 30 KM - CHECK (pretty comfy)
5) Height - 5'4". Legs should be reachable ? - CHECK
She loved the Fascino when we saw a couple of them on the streets specially the Black one. But after my experience with Fz 25, I am not really inclined towards Yamaha, nevertheless we will decide post her TD. If she likes it, we will take it.
Basis my experience of 8 years with Apache 160 - 65000 KMS, TVS has been good. The bike just refuses to give up. So I personally prefer Wego or Zest. Again, anything will be decided post the TD
Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 17:24   #33
BHPian

Try tvs Jupiter and hero pleasure. Hero pleasure is very light and the height is slightly less compared to other scooters.
Old 20th August 2019, 17:45   #34
BHPian

I understand all these scooters suffer from early morning starting problem. There is even a complete thread on it, if I recall correctly. Would be really painful for a lady early in the morning. Would suggest you wait a couple of months for the FI version & BS VI to be launched or also check out the only current FI scooter Hero Maestro Edge, looks good though personally I am yet to ride one.
Old 20th August 2019, 17:58   #35
BHPian

Adding my 2 cents:
If you can stretch your budget a little more, Go for Vespa. It has a classic/retro look, Strong body and refined engine. If you can, Check out Aprilia SR150 ABS too.
PS: Service Center is not that widespread when compared with competitors.
Old 20th August 2019, 19:38   #36

Every scooter has its pros & cons, but i liked the Activa in terms of its braking performance. Not once did i ever experience skidding because of its tandem braking system. I hope all others have been updated to the same level. Driving a TVS Jupiter has always raised the hairs on my back because the wheels always locked up in the case of panic braking. And believe me in Delhi i have to panic brake every day. Keep the braking performance top most on your mind and you will be set.

Cheers!!!
Old 20th August 2019, 20:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Adding my 2 cents:
If you can stretch your budget a little more, Go for Vespa. It has a classic/retro look, Strong body and refined engine. If you can, Check out Aprilia SR150 ABS too.
PS: Service Center is not that widespread when compared with competitors.
Aprilia's ride is bone jarring. Took TD for a good amount of distance and liked it a lot as an enthusiast. But for commuting to office on a daily basis its a big no-no unless the person riding it is fit.

Own a Vespa for 3 years now and for all the good that this scooter has a couple of things that a prospective customer needs to know.
  • -- For shorter riders Vespa can be handful due to its height
  • -- In the pre ABS era I found the brake bite to be too hard to the point of skidding. My father and wife complain of skidding every now and then. I have adjusted to it and though nothing untoward has happened yet but the smaller 10 inchers couple with sharp brakes is a recipe for disaster
  • -- The maintenance is on higher side and quality too is nothing to rave about. Its pretty ok. I am sure its better than other commuters from Honda, Hero etc. though

I still repent not picking up Wego or Jupiter. They had the best balance of performance and dynamics.

As a sporty or premium vehicle nothing beats either the Vespa or Aprilia but as a family commuter I would lean towards a Wego or a Jupiter
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 21:24   #38
BANNED

Quote:
She loved the Fascino when we saw a couple of them on the streets specially the Black one. But after my experience with Fz 25, I am not really inclined towards Yamaha, nevertheless we will decide post her TD. If she likes it, we will take it.
Basis my experience of 8 years with Apache 160 - 65000 KMS, TVS has been good. The bike just refuses to give up. So I personally prefer Wego or Zest. Again, anything will be decided post the TD
Thanks
I was in the same situation 2 years ago. Finally bought a Yamaha Ray Z for my wife after extensive research.

The main reasons were ride and handling. Its the best handler among the Indian scooters.

Handling is of primary importance for ladies or older people although Indians blindly choose the horrible handler(Activa) because of herd mentality.

I won't recommend Fascino because its a front heavy scooter and you will feel it after riding the Ray.

If you want a 125cc, go for Ntorq.

What's the reason for your dislike of Yamaha?
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 21:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She loved the Fascino when we saw a couple of them on the streets specially the Black one. But after my experience with Fz 25, I am not really inclined towards Yamaha
Would like to chip in here since we have a Yamaha Ray Z primarily used by my wife and by me for short errands. While I have had a horrible experience with the FZ16 making me sell it within a short span, the Ray Z has turned out to be just the opposite!! We have one from 2014 and has done a meager 15k kms so far. But all it needs is a service once in 2.5-3k kms and apart from regular oil and filter changes, very recently I changed a clutch nut costing 150/-. I have a FNG mechanic who services it for me and I have not got the company service done except for the first 2 free services. So dont strike off the Yamaha scooters from the list yet. Take an elaborate TD and then decide. The con with the Ray Z is that being an all fiber body scooter, there will be rattles once it ages. But this is what makes it light and nimble on its feet and help the ladies handle it easily. Also since the headlight is on the front panel and not the handle bar, it will be very easy for the ladies to handle the scooter. In fact I find it very easy to handle and anything apart from the Ray that I ride i feel the scooter is very heavy in the front!! Hope this helps.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 20th August 2019 at 21:31.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 22:19   #40
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
My wife is in the market for a two wheeler for daily commute. Having never owned or purchased a gearless scooter, I have no clue of what I am looking for or what should I look out for. I just have the requirements and trust BHPians to provide me the answer. Also if current owners in this segment can give a heads up on recurring issues on certain models, it will be of great help ! Thanks in advance
I also recommend Access, my wife's vehicle for a decade and I also drive on weekends.
It's having bigger tyres (TVS and Aprilla has even bigger ones though) making handling uneven roads better. Combi breaks, ABS option, some new goodies like mobile charger in new version has made it the best choice in the segment.
Most importantly the niggle in the form of low positioned air filter has been rectified in new version

Last edited by MMV : 20th August 2019 at 22:26.
Old 21st August 2019, 07:23   #41
BHPian

I have a Jupiter ZX, Jupiter Classic and NTorq at home. You cannot go wrong with any of those.
Good suspension, excellent storage space and external fuel lid are the three big plus points of these scooters.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Would like to chip in here since we have a Yamaha Ray Z primarily used by my wife and by me for short errands. While I have had a horrible experience with the FZ16 making me sell it within a short span, the Ray Z has turned out to be just the opposite!! We have one from 2014 and has done a meager 15k kms so far. But all it needs is a service once in 2.5-3k kms and apart from regular oil and filter changes, very recently I changed a clutch nut costing 150/-. I have a FNG mechanic who services it for me and I have not got the company service done except for the first 2 free services. So dont strike off the Yamaha scooters from the list yet. Take an elaborate TD and then decide. The con with the Ray Z is that being an all fiber body scooter, there will be rattles once it ages. But this is what makes it light and nimble on its feet and help the ladies handle it easily. Also since the headlight is on the front panel and not the handle bar, it will be very easy for the ladies to handle the scooter. In fact I find it very easy to handle and anything apart from the Ray that I ride i feel the scooter is very heavy in the front!! Hope this helps.
Ditto, I have had the same story with my FZ 25, sticking to it since the vehicle is a silent performer just the opposite of what their showrooms are. And sir, you know what ? We both drive Fords and Yamahas
Old 21st August 2019, 08:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I have a Jupiter ZX, Jupiter Classic and NTorq at home. You cannot go wrong with any of those.
Good suspension, excellent storage space and external fuel lid are the three big plus points of these scooters.
Wow ! You look like a TVS Fan boy. Wego and Jupiter are in the probables list. Will definitely have a look and let my wife decide post her TD experience

Last edited by Sk8r : 21st August 2019 at 08:55. Reason: Additional points
Old 21st August 2019, 09:10   #44
BHPian

1. If you are on conservative lines - Access fits your requirement. It offers good punch, good ride quality, decent mileage and excellent reliability. I bought Swish (isotope of Access) for my wife 5 years back, and over the time the scooter has earned our love & trust!
2. If you want to go bit funky, NTorq is a good choice - it has got a modern shape, more electronic toys and a lovely exhaust note.

I havent considered Vespa, Ather and Aprilia keeping your budget in mind.
Honda 2 wheeler showroom folks have a superiority complex and I simply avoid them. No fun in spending 75k and getting lost in ocean of Activas. The scooter is meritorious no doubt.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:44   #45

Quote:
My wife is in the market for a two wheeler for daily commute. Having never owned or purchased a gearless scooter, I have no clue of what I am looking for or what should I look out for. I just have the requirements and trust BHPians to provide me the answer. Also if current owners in this segment can give a heads up on recurring issues on certain models, it will be of great help ! Thanks in advance

Requirements :

1) Budget - 65 to 75 K
2) Mileage - 40 to 45 KMPL
3) ABS - Desirable
4) Daily commute : 30 KM
5) Height - 5'4". Legs should be reachable ?

Should I go Electric ? I am really tempted to get the Ather 450 even though it is way out of my budget ( I get to ride over weekends ), but one issue back of my mind is the charger installation. Considering we might relocate in a year or two maximum, will installation be required from Ather once again? I really wish they had a provision to remove battery and charge at home !

Handling Charges : We visited Honda showroom the other day and got a quotation for Activa 5G which included Handling Charges for INR 1600 and Accessories worth INR 5700. Is it legal to mandate these ? Have sent an email to honda, awaiting response
I will strongly recommend latest Access 125.
Better suspension and handling than the competitors.
Competitive pricing & running economy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks