Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 10:16   #1
BHPian

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)

Hi folks.
After a couple of failed attempts in installing a self start for my Vijai Super, the longing for a geared scooter with self start didn't settle. Thats when I started exploring options like Eterno and Select 2. As the daily routine starts with screening olx up and down, most of the scooters of my interest were available outside Tamilnadu, while I still haven't recovered from the shock of transferring 4 of my vehicles from MH to TN. You know transferring vehicles from other state has not been an easy job.

In the month if June I found an LML select from Nagercoil, TN. Priced at 24k but without FC. After getting it renewed, bringing it to Chennai and transferring ownership would sey me back by 30k at least. So I didn't really pursue it seriously. And screening olx became a routine.

In the first week of August there was one new listing from Erode TN. Listed for 15000 and looked good too from the pictures. Little did i hesitate to call up the seller and was glad to know that 12k was his last offer and FC valid till 2024. What more do I have to ask for, at this price? But I had to question myself if there is something fishy in this deal. That's where the whatsapp community friends came to my rescue. Found a friend's friend from Erode and was good at 2 strokes. So he set off with his mechanic to assess the vehicle. Except for a few scratch marks and regular wear and tear he certified that the scooter is driveable and fully functional. Thanks to him as he saved me a leave and travel to Erode.

With all technical hurdles overcome, now is time to convince my better half. Not an easy thing and not a new thing too to many of us, right??😊 So I started off with gifting this thing for myself for the upcoming birthday. Though she didn't say No, she was reluctant as what our house owner would say about parking one more vehicle. So we settled at a deal. I ll use my Vijai Super and this LML alternatively, till then one of them stays at a friend's place close by. Now I got a "Go".

With the money transferred to the friend, he fixed up an appointment with the seller to pick up the scooter. The best part was the seller engaged an RTO agent and right at his desk he generated the transfer of ownership receipt and also paid for the smart card. Thanks to the new vahan online system. All I had to do was sign the form and submit it at the RTO office for my locality.

Here are few pics on the day it was picked up. Thanks to the Amirdesh and Sarvesh. There are the folks who helped me in closing the deal and shipping the scooter to Chennai.

Regards,
Ilango P
Attached Thumbnails
Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img20190821wa0027.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img20190821wa0028.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img20190821wa0030.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img20190821wa0034.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img20190821wa0035.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 10:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)

Congrats, Illango ! Looks to be in good shape.

Btw, are you in Chennai now ? Else inter-state transfer is a pain. ( I had tried to get a KB100 from Chennai to BLR, but RTA refused to give NOC).
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:56   #3
BHPian

Side mirrors installed

As seen in previous post, the scooter didn't come with side mirrors nor did have the brackets for mounting them. Guess, previous owner had them removed. As for any other body part, this bracket was also different from the Bajaj Chetak or LML Nv150. And hence I wasn't able to use the Chetak mirror clamp which was available for Rs20 at a shop near by. So I have to Do it Myself.

With he help of my colleague who had a good contact with a laser cutting centre I got a mirror clamp done. As I had seen the handlebar and mirror vibrate a lot in Bajaj and LML scooters I just wanted to keep the clamp short and heavier than factory specs. It looked more like a triangle. However the short length was suitable for the mirrors I had bought. So once again did some design changes and got another pair made from him. And now things are in place. The mirror is positioned correctly and I could driver safer.
Installed the side mirrors of Suzuki Max 100R. Also thanks to Karthik Makam (Funkykar) for helping me with a new speedometer from Bangalore.

Regards,
Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img_20190904_091815.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img_20190908_170101_hdr.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img_20190908_201442.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img_20190908_201408.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-img_20190904_091759.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:50   #4
BHPian

Re: Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)

Congratulations on your new ride Illango!
What all things / modifications have you planned for the LML?

I have found memories of this scooter, as one of my uncle's had it and I got to be ridden on it on multiple occasions!
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 20:03   #5
BHPian

Lml rr unit, problem and solution

My year 2000 LML select 2. Original RR unit didn't charge the battery. AC side was OK.
Bought a replacement part online. AC side output voltage was too low and lights were too dim. Couldn't take the scooter out in the evenings.
Bought one more. This time the AC and DC voltages were good, but there was an internal short that made the horn and self start work even without the key.
Gave on the 5 pin rr units and resorted to isolate the AC and DC regulation.
For the AC side I installed a 3 pin bajaj scooter AC regulator. And for DC side I used the old pulsar 4pin RR unit but wired only for battery charging. Took care not to cut and of the factory wiring harness.
Now all work fine and peace of mnd restored.
Attached Thumbnails
Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-20221009_164753.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-20221009_173318.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-20221009_163201.jpg  

Scooter bug bites again - this time a Wasp (LML Select)-20221009_164745.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks