Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 15:22   #16
BHPian

re: Quality of parts on the Royal Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
Hi Ry der,

RE recommends engine oil change once in 6 months or 3K kms of running. Any reason you follow just 1 annual service ? Do you use Synthetic Oil ?

I just checked the manual for reference and it also highlights the same.
I have tried many permutation and combinations but found this schedule appropriate for my usage. I use my bike for office commute only with annual running around 7000 KMs. So, more or less its approx the same as prescribed by the RE if we go by the KMs. I feel that the bike gets unreasonably louder just after the oil change and this behaviour lasts for around 600 KMs or a month. I use Motul 3000 4T Plus which is not a synthetic oil. Things get pretty smooth once these annoying 600 KMs pass and remain like this till next oil change. However, after using Liquid Gun(RE Recommended) its vice versa. The bike feels smooth only for first few hundred KMs.

May be its all in my head but I generally go by this.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ry_der : 17th September 2019 at 15:23.
Old 17th September 2019, 15:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I am wondering if there was any other part that also had to be replaced along with the cluster that the service advisor may not have articulated properly or if the SA had mistakenly quoted Rs 12,000 for the new cluster. Either ways, the good thing is thanks to this thread, we were able to help Pramod with the correct cost of the replacement part. Now I hope RE does the right thing and replaces it without any fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
However, in my last 6.5 years of RE ownership, I have realized that ASC people can not be trusted with your bike. Almost every time I gave my bike to ASC, I had to visit them again within 2-3 days. I prefer MOTUL but they deny pouring MOTUL citing company policy.
Unfortunately for us customers, Royal Enfield has taken up a strict no outside oil policy at the service centres. Apparently they realized that a lot of customers were bringing oil for the services and hence they were losing out on the revenue from that consumable. What I do is I get the service done at the company SVC minus the oil change and I buy an oil filter from them over the counter and then get the oil changed at a FNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Oh sure, they also ask you to fill in a form at the service center when collecting your bike. Once after a particularly crap service at the Indiranagar center (they didn't even bother to reconnect the fuel line so when I opened the tap, fuel started leaking!), I filled in the form and gave low scores. Saw the service advisor walk away with it, crumple it and throw it in the dustbin. He thought I didn't see him do that. Called up the RSM using the number displayed on the board and things got sorted out pronto.
I am sure that Royal Enfield has created the current processes to ensure that errant service advisors dont repeat the same mistakes that you highlighted. In fact, not only does the receptionist from the SVC call you but the company also sends you an SMS through which you can send a reply regarding your service experience with a rating. I believe they get in touch with you if you are unhappy and send a poor rating through the SMS route.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 16:29   #18
BHPian

Have been a RE rider for more than a decade now.
RE is now becoming known for for bad QC and SVCs are known for being incompetent.
I have been visiting mainly Wakad and Baner SVCs in Pune which are owned by the same group and my experience has been good so far. (Apart from a few not so serious goofups)
But I am certainly aware of and know people getting frustrated with RE service.
A lot has improved over the last 7-8 years but certainly not as much as it should have.
My suggestion to you would be to ask around in riding groups on which SVC has a good reputation and stick to it.
Talking about quality of parts, the less said the better.
I had the opportunity of working on premise with a manufacturer of one of the critical components of 2-wheelers, around 2015. The company is a major supplier of that component to almost all 2 wheeler brands in India.
RE's QA is something even they laugh at.
So you can guess orders from which customers are taken up seriously in-terms of QA and which are not.

What the Japanese or even Bajaj won't even let in from their gates, RE would happily bolt it on to their bikes and sell it to their fan base.

Quality aside, we do not really have a choice in the segment and price band REs are in.
In 2012 when I bought the TB350 there was no other choice.
In 2019 when I bought the Interceptor there was no other choice.

So lets wait and see what Bajaj-Triumph guys are up to and hopefully it will compel RE to improve on QC.

Last edited by ishan12 : 17th September 2019 at 16:31.
ishan12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 01:40   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually yes, Royal Enfield has all the rights to reject the claim since 2 service intervals were mixed. The speedometer developed a crack since due to the following reasons:
1. Oil change not done
2. Air filter not cleaned/ changed
3. Chain lube and cleaning not done

Failing to do all the above at the stipulated time may have caused the wear and tear of the Speedo console.

For future RE buyers, please ensure you stock to the service intervals, so your Speedo doesn't crack or your parts don't rust.
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quality of parts on the Royal Enfield Thunderbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Failing to do all the above at the stipulated time may have caused the wear and tear of the Speedo console.

Still, the above reason is more than sufficient for RE to reject the claim.

Skipped services --> Poor NVH --> Excessive vibration transferred to the speedo console --> Crack developed
Skipped services --> Missed the early detection of issue (during road test or static checks) --> No preventive maintenance --> Part failure
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 21:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Actually yes, Royal Enfield has all the rights to reject the claim since 2 service intervals were mixed. The speedometer developed a crack since due to the following reasons:
1. Oil change not done
2. Air filter not cleaned/ changed
3. Chain lube and cleaning not done

For future RE buyers, please ensure you stock to the service intervals, so your Speedo doesn't crack or your parts don't rust.
I must disagree with the reasons you mention.

Yes, Royal Enfield can reject the claim because the service intervals were missed but changing the oil, the air filter and lubing the chain would not have prevented the damage. None of these would do much if anything to reduce vibration.

The only reason RE can refuse to repair the problem under warranty is because of legal technicalities and in my opinion, their doing this was a huge mistake.

If the engine was damaged or the sprockets were damaged because the services were not done, they would be justified in their decision. The services missed could have a direct bearing on a failure.

Cracks and similar problems that can be caused by faulty design or manufacturing problems on the other hand and have nothing to do with the missed services fall under a different failure mode so they should be covered.

RE's failure to fix the problem reminds me of the insurance companies who lead people to believe a problem will be covered and then point out some small text that excludes the coverage when the customer needs it.

All in all, I must say, "Bad show Royal Enfield. You could have fixed the problem for very little expense and gained respect of thousands of people. Instead, now there are thousands of people who are now aware of your failure to follow up on your promises of protection."
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 22:22   #22
BANNED

Sad that the part prematurely cracked, but a contract is a contract, you can't blame RE for not honouring the claim in spite of how petty the reasons might be.

Personally I would've skipped the ASC services and DIY'd at least for regular service, over a period of time(not that much considering what they charge) you'd have saved up enough to buy a brand new speedometer.

That's how I operate with all my motorcycles, not worth paying a premium for shady workmanship. That's just my take.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 09:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I must disagree with the reasons you mention
I hope you are missing the sarcasm in v12 reply
Old 20th September 2019, 21:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I hope you are missing the sarcasm in v12 reply
I did, and my apologies to v12 for saying I disagreed with him.

I will however, stand by my comments about Royal Enfield's handling of this and other similar cases where they blamed unrelated things to the problem as a way to avoid living up to their commitments .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks