Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Accelerator cable on TVS NTorq snaps while riding

Hello everyone, earlier this morning while riding my scooter to work and found that suddenly I wasn't accelerating no matter how much I twisted the throttle. I was on the Kharghar highway bridge and luckily managed to coast and stop by the side of the road without anything eventful happening. I suspected a broken accelerator cable and called TVS RSA. They sent a mechanic who immediately confirmed that it was indeed a snapped cable and that the scooter would need to be towed. My questions regarding this are:
  • I had just had the scooter serviced (paid) 4 days back and since only driven approximately 30-50 kms. Isn't this something that ought to have been checked? Could the service guys have wound it up too tight?
  • My scooter has done only 53xx kms and was purchased sometime in the last few months of 2018. It seems way too early for such a critical part to fail. Any thoughts on what would have happened?
The SA says that this part won't be covered under warranty. I plan on writing to the customer care at TVS and asking for this to be covered at no cost and claim a manufacturing defect. Looking forward to any help you guys can give. Thanks!

Last edited by Iyencar : 27th January 2020 at 15:30. Reason: Added the time of purchase
Iyencar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 15:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accelerator cable on TVS NTorq snaps while riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
I plan on writing to the customer care at TVS and asking for this to be covered at no cost and claim a manufacturing defect. Looking forward to any help you guys can give. Thanks!
In addition to writing an email to CC, call up the TVS Service Manager for Mumbai area and raise the issue through him too. His number should be prominently displayed in the ASC where you take your scooter for servicing. IIRC, it should also be there in your owner's manual, but the ASC will have the latest and correct one.

In this case, the SA is right that this isn't a part that is usually covered under warranty, but you are also right, that it shouldn't break this early in the ownership. My guess is they will replace it under "goodwill warranty". But more important than that, the root cause of why it snapped should be found out.
comfortablynumb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
[*] My scooter has done only 53xx kms and was purchased sometime in the last few months of 2018. It seems way too early for such a critical part to fail. Any thoughts on what would have happened?
I am assuming that Ntorq is a carburetor type. Cable snap during running is a serious issue. Luckily, you were not hurt.

Coming to what could have caused it, instead of blindly making some guesses, if you could post some photos of the broken cable , then we can probably make a learned guess.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I am assuming that Ntorq is a carburetor type.
Correct

Quote:
Coming to what could have caused it, instead of blindly making some guesses, if you could post some photos of the broken cable , then we can probably make a learned guess.
The cable is concealed within the front panels so I could not take a pic. The service centre has confirmed a snapped cable.
Old 27th January 2020, 17:00   #5
BANNED

Quote:
The SA says that this part won't be covered under warranty. I plan on writing to the customer care at TVS and asking for this to be covered at no cost and claim a manufacturing defect. Looking forward to any help you guys can give. Thanks!
Hi Sir,

Sorry to hear of your experience, BUT fact be told this is a consumable we're talking about and the name itself implies that its life depends upon use.

On my P220 I've had the clutch cable snap within a day or two of purchase and that too on an interstate run, I rode without declutching for close to 300kms before I could get a spare from an ASC at Karur(I'm not from TN but I still recall the Advisors name for his helpfulness, it was Mr.Dandapani) and resume my ride to Bangalore.

Whose fault was that? Mine and mine alone for being overconfident!

As for control cables diagnosing them for a fault is practically fruitless, a cable that visually looks fine could give up on you without a seconds hesitation, that simply is how it is. The only best practice to follow would be to periodically get them replaced, no lubing and reusing BS as modern cables aren't meant to be "SERVICED" as such.

As for warranty, consumables aren't covered. But if you make enough ruckus they might cave in, I've seen this happen.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 17:18   #6
BHPian

Thanks A.P.! Was looking forward to your take on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Whose fault was that? Mine and mine alone for being overconfident!
Why do you call it overconfidence? You took a practically brand new machine and rode it the way it was supposed to. I can understand preparing by taking spare tubes, repair kits, etc. but does a cable also fall in the same category? No offence meant. Genuinely curious.
Quote:
The only best practice to follow would be to periodically get them replaced, no lubing and reusing BS as modern cables aren't meant to be "SERVICED" as such.
How often would you recommend to get them replaced?
Quote:
As for warranty, consumables aren't covered. But if you make enough ruckus they might cave in, I've seen this happen.
I have already sent them an email about this .
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 17:18   #7
BHPian

Cables are consumable and are not guaranteed for its longevity. Its life diminishes on the usage. Also, in this case, accelerator cable is hidden inside the cowl and inside a outer sleeve which runs through out the length. There is no way any one can check for its life.

Did it break at the head or somewhere in the middle? If its the later then there is a manufacturing defect.

Last edited by saisree : 27th January 2020 at 17:20.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 17:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As other members already pointed out, throttle cable, but also clutch and brake cables are consumables. They wear out. How quickly depends on many factors.

You can not really inspect them. If you’re lucky, you might notice a few (broken) stands sticking out near the handle. But often that is just not visible at all. They just snap and they usually snap at the most annoying points in time.

On my Royal Enfield I installed spare cables for throttle, clutch and brake. Ran them parallel to the original cable, held in place with a view tie-wrap. Just in case one snapped, when I was out and about I could easily fix it.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:08   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Why do you call it overconfidence? You took a practically brand new machine and rode it the way it was supposed to. I can understand preparing by taking spare tubes, repair kits, etc. but does a cable also fall in the same category? No offence meant. Genuinely curious.
I knew that even though the possibility of the cable snapping was minimal it still was a possibility and yet I ignored the commonsense to never ride interstate without spare consumables.

I am used to riding without using the clutch but even the most experienced of riders would not take the risk, I say it was overconfidence cause knowing all possible outcomes I still decided to act careless, most probably due to pride.

I change my spark plug once every 10k kms and my air filter every 5k kms, no questions asked, so the chances of them fouling are minimal but even then I'd take spares along for a cross country ride, would simply be foolish to not do so.

Control cables I take with me even if I've changed them the day before, I've got them packed at the base of my tank bag, all the cables, all the time.

Accelerator cable on TVS NTorq snaps while riding-img_20200127_190454.jpg

And the above is in addition to the extra chain master link and vespa cable inner and lock I carry inside the motorcycles toolkit.

Quote:
How often would you recommend to get them replaced?
That depends on your use, before when I used to run interstate I used to change once a year, no questions asked.

But now I change them the moment I feel the slightest resistance.

Then again even if I change cables periodically I'd still carry spares on longer rides where ASC's are spread quite apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
On my Royal Enfield I installed spare cables for throttle, clutch and brake. Ran them parallel to the original cable, held in place with a view tie-wrap. Just in case one snapped, when I was out and about I could easily fix it.
Presuming that yours is a UCE model, I'd suggest its best to keep a Vespa clutch cable inner and it's lock in your toolkit, you can replace the clutch and throttle(only for CV Carbs) cable inners using it.

Reason for not recommending lining spare cables is cause the anti friction coating on the exposed part of the cable tends to wear down and as such the cables do not last as long as they would otherwise i.e when used directly from their packing.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 27th January 2020 at 19:09.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:19   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Presuming that yours is a UCE model, I'd suggest its best to keep a Vespa clutch cable inner and it's lock in your toolkit, you can replace the clutch and throttle(only for CV Carbs) cable inners using it.

Reason for not recommending lining spare cables is cause the anti friction coating on the exposed part of the cable tends to wear down and as such the cables do not last as long as they would otherwise i.e when used directly from their packing.
Yes, mine was an UCE. Drove around india for four years with these spare ones fitted and not a single problem. Never had a snapped cable either.

Obviously, the best protection against a snapped cable enroute is to have a spare available, one way or the other.

When I take my classic cars on a tour I have a boot full of spare parts. You can be 100% sure whatever breaks, its never what I have in the boot!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 20:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Obviously, the best protection against a snapped cable enroute is to have a spare available, one way or the other.
Very True. Additionally, it will be good and more satisfying if you also learn how to change the cable on your own rather than waiting for some one. I make it a practice for myself.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 21:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Additionally, it will be good and more satisfying if you also learn how to change the cable on your own rather than waiting for some one.
I have been known to fiddle about a bit now and then.
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Cables are consumable and are not guaranteed for its longevity
Quote:
As other members already pointed out, throttle cable, but also clutch and brake cables are consumables
Quote:
I knew that even....... without spare consumables.
I beg to differ from the general view on what is a consumable. Motorcycle oil is a consumable. It is meant to take the frictional stress and needs to be renewed at periodic intervals. Hence the name " Consumable".

A clutch / brake cable on the other hand has no such periodic change intervals. If such a change is recommended after say 5000kms or something then it has to be mentioned in the handbook. A OEM clutch cable undergoes rigorous testing before being fitted on the bike. A brake / clutch cable ( OEM Ones ) are designed to with stand a certain tensile stress for about few thousand cycles (or more) in what is called as endurance testing. Even things like lock set undergo such testing in the factory before being certified for use. I have seen these testing at TVS and also at other factories. Agreed , that every cable does not undergo these tests and the test is more of a design validation.

A cable snap is not a incident that can be brushed aside as "it happens". Having said that, this may be a one off incident in which case the OP was unlucky or if there is some underlying issue , then probably it may repeat.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to differ from the general view on what is a consumable. Motorcycle oil is a consumable. It is meant to take the frictional stress and needs to be renewed at periodic intervals. Hence the name " Consumable".

A clutch / brake cable on the other hand has no such periodic change intervals. If such a change is recommended after say 5000kms or something then it has to be mentioned in the handbook.

A cable snap is not a incident that can be brushed aside as "it happens". Having said that, this may be a one off incident in which case the OP was unlucky or if there is some underlying issue , then probably it may repeat.
You are quite welcome to have your own definition of a consumable. But it has nothing to do with it being mentioned in the maintenance schedule. Look up definition of consumable and you will find it is anything that is likely to wear during normal operation.

It is literally all that a car/engine/bike “eats”, hence consumes, consumable. There are many parts that wear and do not get a mention in the manual for regular checks nor do they get replaced at certain intervals.

They get replaced when worn down. E.g. clutch plates, bearings, ignition coils, fan speed control resistors, relays etc etc. The list is very long.

Cables, in any application will snap eventually. Next to brake and clutch mechanism, you will find them on opening mechanism for car hood, trunks, fuel filler cap etc. And on bicycles. I have never seen them mentioned in a manual for inspection or a regular maintenance.

Any biker will tell you brake and clutch cable snap eventually. Some will snap early in live, some late. Many carry spares with them, some even call them consumable, but irrespective of semantics they snap. And you can not predict when. Most bikers have a rough idea, based on experience and their sort of riding what to expect. Other than to make sure you install a good quality of cable, it needs to properly installed with the appropriate grease and the cable is routed properly, without short radius bends, is not squeezed anywhere etc. So that is something that can be checked, but is no guarantee for predicting it will live for ever.

Replacing them tend to be fairly straight forward, so even though it is a relative cheap part, replacing them preventive is not done very often. But I know some people who do, simply because they don’t want the hassle on the road. But it is no guarantee, nor is it mentioned in a manual.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 29th January 2020 at 12:07.
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 12:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
You are quite welcome to have your own definition of a consumable.
Thank you.

Quote:
It is literally all that a car/engine/bike “eats”, hence consumes, consumable.
In the case of a brake / clutch cable , what part of the cable gets "Eaten"?. A cable, as you are well aware , consists of an outer sheath ( tube) which is fixed between two ends while there is a inner multistrand steel wire which moves. This steel wire ( or cable as you can call ) is designed to withstand a stress. Its like the hull of a submarine which is designed to work up to a crush depth. You know better than me for anything marine.

That does not mean i am saying that it can never snap. They do snap for two reasons.

1. Being sub standard quality wise.
2. Under external fault. For eg : A struck carb spring, a broken twist grip etc.

The other side of the coin is that even after many years of use some cables do hold up. So summarily dismissing a cable snap as an eventuality is, IMHO, not correct.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks