Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 13:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Workers fit scooter engine to a cart & reach home 1200 km away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
When they had to travel 1200 km's to reach their hometown and public transport was off limits they got down and dirty to come up with their owns means of transport, a cart powered by a scooter engine!
This Jugaad system is extremely common in north India, earlier there were a lot of jugaads with the 5HP local generator stuck to bullock carts, usually seen in villages.

More recently, the scooter engine and transmission stuck to rickshaws have become dime a dozen in Noida and around. It almost looks like a cottage industry now. Surprised that the RTOs haven't caught on to these non-homologated vehicles.

These are really unsafe too given the lack of 4th wheel and the high seating of the driver/operator. Have seen a fair few going flying on encountering potholes.
Old 6th April 2020, 14:22   #17
BHPian

Apologies I am commenting more on Juggad then on the workers who fit the scooter engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
This Jugaad system is extremely common in north India.
Absolutely. In fact in Western UP you will find Juggad's made out of brand new motorcycles. This has become a SME/Cottage industry

Search on youtube and you will find a way to build one as well. Check this for example -

The safety or lack of it has been a concern for sometime. The courts have been ordering their removal till govt. forms a policy from as back as 2013 if not before. https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...-court/1245710

Having said all this, I also see this as a necessity. People in our village need these innovation (including the Motrocycle powered Tractor, Thrasher etc.) because they can't afford the legal alternatives. What is needed from Govt. is a compassionate look and forming rules that gives them option to use it within a certain limit but not on highways/city roads where it become a security/pollution challege.
satishchugh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
Absolutely. In fact in Western UP you will find Juggad's made out of brand new motorcycles. This has become a SME/Cottage industry
I was referring to Western UP too when I said Northern India. Loads of these contraptions to see in the Meerut - Khatauli - Muzaffarnagar belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
Having said all this, I also see this as a necessity. People in our village need these innovation (including the Motrocycle powered Tractor, Thrasher etc.) because they can't afford the legal alternatives
The government already offers threshers etc on loans and also supplies loans to buy farm equipment. While these may be more expensive than the locally manufactured stuff, it is far more safer. Both for user and the the other vehicles on the road.

However in the same breath would also say there is something to be said for local ingenuity. The scooter contraption is literally making usable vehicles out of junk.
Old 10th April 2020, 09:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

In what could be considered as a truly epic but absolutely foolish journey, a woman in Telangana rode her two wheeler for 1400 kms amidst the lockdown to bring her son back home.

Workers fit scooter engine to a cart & reach home 1200 km away!-img_20200410_090246.jpg

(Don't ask me where the mirrors and helmets are )

The Approximate Route

Workers fit scooter engine to a cart & reach home 1200 km away!-img_20200410_090355.jpg

Quote:
Love for her son, courage and determination made a woman in Telangana ride nearly 1,400 km on a scooter over three days to bring him home after he got stuck in Nellore in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh owing to COVID-19 lockdown
Source

dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 14:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The Approximate Route
She started from Bodhan, which 50 Kms from Nizamabad. So the round trip would be 1400 Kms, done in 3 days on a scooter. Would have required 6 fuel stops (5L tank capacity, 50Kmpl).

Another link: https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1248466122287923200
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 14:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, it was not the most intelligent thing to do, but somehow felt good. Parents have a way of suddenly transforming themselves into superheroes when their kids get into trouble.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 19:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
In what could be considered as a truly epic
This is really really epic. Most men would shudder at the thought under normal circumstances but this woman did it in these lockdown period.
Imagine who could be out now in these empty roads robbers, muggers or even wild animals.

I don't think she broke any rules as it mentioned she took permission from ACP.

Even if rules were broken, I would appreciate because it is for a humane just cause, unlike some other news like film actress' crashing their luxury cars link in their midnight joy rides and money bags moving around by having connections with higher ups link.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 21:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandmv View Post
1,700 km in 7 days, roughly 242 km a day on a cycle . Suffered on average one or two punchers per day, got it fixed in the nearby villages and kept going.

Quote:
He was enjoying the unhurried cadence of his cycling, the solitude of the road. He kept going.

He noticed that his route was becoming particularly beautiful, often densely forested, hilly, the roiling Krishna river on his right. He was going past the reserve forest of Kondapalli.

“There was lots of beauty, it was amazing,” he said. “I felt like I could die doing this alone, and if I did die, it would be okay. If I lived, great, I would cycle.”
msdivy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 08:36   #24
BHPian

27 migrant workers belonging to Odisha sail back in a boat from Chennai amid lockdown. These 27 fishermen bought a boat for 1.27 lakhs and sailed towards Odisha for 5 days and reached Srikakulam in AP. They were now kept under quarantine.

Needs lot of guts, mental and physical stamina to do this. Bravo guys.

Source

@Mods any idea of changing the thread title. We are talking about different means of travel people are taking in this lockdown

Last edited by saisree : 21st April 2020 at 08:45.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 08:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

A tale of two more epic journeys - although without any jugaads and most likely without too many difficulties - has been reported in today's newspapers.

The following report is from Deccan Herald.

Quote:
With air and rail passenger services suspended due to a COVID-19-induced lockdown, two judges have embarked on a road journey, each of them covering over 2,000 km, as they gear up to take charge as chief justices of high courts in separate corners of the country.

The judges -- who were elevated to the position of high court chief justices only recently -- hit the road amid the nationwide shutdown to ensure trials and justice delivery system do not go off the track.
Quote:
Justice Dipankar Datta, a judge at the Calcutta High Court, is taking turns with son to sit behind the steering wheel, as the family moved to Mumbai, where he would be taking over as the new Chief Justice of Bombay High Court, sources privy to the development said.... Justice Datta left for Mumbai from Kolkata on Saturday morning and plans to reach the country's financial capital by Monday afternoon with overnight breaks on the way.
Quote:
Allahabad High Court judge Justice Biswanath Somadder, who has been elevated as the Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court, is driving to Shillong via Kolkata.

Justice Somadder, who had served at the Calcutta High Court before being transferred Allahabad, set out on the journey from the north Indian city along with wife on Friday evening in an official car, the sources said.

He had a chauffeur by his side, who took charge of the wheels from time to time. The judge reached Kolkata on Saturday afternoon, and left for Shillong in the evening, after a few hours of rest at his Salt Lake residence... He is scheduled to reach the Meghalaya capital on Sunday afternoon.
Quote:
President Ram Nath Kovind had on Thursday elevated Justice Dipankar Datta, senior judge of Calcutta High Court, as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court, and appointed Justice Biswanath Somadder of Allahabad High Court as Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 15:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Now this takes the cake.

With social distancing becoming the new normal, people are coming up with innovations that would surely be the stuff of future folklore. While a gram panchayat in Kerala has mandated compulsorily carrying umbrellas in public, here is a father who has come up with a social distance friendly motorcycle to enable him to drop his daughter to school.

Keeping aside aspects of legality, safety and questionable necessity (schools aren't open yet), this is a jugaad that surely deserves a place of pride in this thread.

Last edited by dailydriver : 2nd May 2020 at 15:42.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 10:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Another 2-wheeler journey - Disabled woman rides 1200 kms for 18 hours to bring son home amid lockdown in Maharashtr

Quote:
A distress call from her 14-year- old son forced a disabled woman, an accountant with a private firm, Sonu Khandare from Pune to travel 1,200 km to Amravati on a two-wheeler to bring him home amid the COVID-19 lockdown.

Khandare approached district authorities, applied for a travel pass online and even considered hiring a car for the journey, which would have cost her an exorbitant sum of Rs 8,000.

"When I was granted a travel pass for 48 hours on April 24, I just headed home, packed some food and water and left on my two-wheeler without thinking twice," the 37-year- old said.

The trip proved to be a test of her grit and perseverance, as she had to encounter harsh weather conditions and dry terrains of Marathwada and Vidarbha along the way.

"I kept riding my two-wheeler even at night, with no light except the dim one coming from the headlight and to make things worse, I was stopped and questioned at every check-post along the way," she said.

In order to break the journey at night, Khandare managed to make a pitstop at a petrol pump along the highway near Khamgaon, where she slept on the sidewalk under the watchful gaze of a CCTV camera.

"When I noticed the CCTV cameras near the petrol pump, I decided to rest there on the open ground, as I believed that if anything were to happen to me, it will be recorded," she said.

Khandare made an early start on April 25 and reached her in-laws home in the afternoon.

"I hardly spent a couple of hours there, as I kept thinking about getting back home safely, before my travel pass expired," said the mother of three, who had to tackle dehydration and hunger, apart from the rough terrain and potholed roads.

Khandare managed to reach her home in Bhosari area of Pune, with limited stops, at around 11 pm on April 26, just an hour before her travel pass expired.

However, knowing that her son was under the same roof during these unprecedented times, made the journey worth it, she said.

The trip took a toll on Khandare, who is pursuing her post-graduation in commerce in a bid to get a government job.

However, knowing that her son was under the same roof during these unprecedented times, made the journey worth it, she said.
Workers fit scooter engine to a cart & reach home 1200 km away!-speciallyabledmumrideshondaactiva715890085211589018836.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 11th May 2020 at 10:47.
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 21:54   #28
BHPian

Every day there are thousands who are starting on foot, cycles, push carts, autorickshaws or whatever mode they could find.

How one wish these guys had kept notes of their epic journeys which I know is impossible in the circumstances.

Here is one journey of four friends, all auto drivers from Mumbai taking an auto to UP. Their auto is a CNG one with a 2 litre petrol tank. They had to refill petrol every forty kilometers for their till now 1400 km of the total 1700 kms link.
fordday is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:28   #29
BHPian

15 year old girl cycling 1200 km with pillion

Another one of those epic journeys. A 15 year old girl riding bicycle with her injured father as pillion for 1200 kms from Gurgaon to Bihar.

And to think that we complain of our calf muscle pain from pressing accelerator or clutch in our road trips.

Acknowledging her feat, Cycling Federation of India has asked her to appear for trials at Delhi. Hope she makes good of the opportunity.
Link
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks