Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2007, 14:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which bike: Upgrading from CD100ss

Guys need your help in choosing my next bike,

these are my requirements:

1. upgrading from CD100 ss, so around 125cc.

2. good fuel economy.

3. should cruise around 60kmph to 80kmph with ease in top gear so a 5-gear tranny. (honda shine and glamour are ruled out for this reason)

4. Should have a front disc break.

5. should be able to fit in a decent sized side box, and hence not a sport looking vehicle.

6. After sales service.

7. Tubeless-tires are prefered but not compulsion (if not i will change to dual layered tube)

8. Will own the bike for 4-5 years before further upgrading, so reliablity for atleast 5 years is required.

Bikes I am considering:

Suzuki Zeus,
Bajaj Wind 125(if it is still available)
kinetic GF 125
Yamaha Gladiator.
Old 18th March 2007, 14:36   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

2. good fuel economy.

3. should cruise around 60kmph to 80kmph with ease in top gear so a 5-gear tranny. (honda shine and glamour are ruled out for this reason)

5. should be able to fit in a decent sized side box, and hence not a sport looking vehicle.

6. After sales service.

7. Tubeless-tires are prefered but not compulsion (if not i will change to dual layered tube)

8. Will own the bike for 4-5 years before further upgrading, so reliablity for atleast 5 years is required.

Bikes I am considering:

Suzuki Zeus,
kinetic GF 125
Yamaha Gladiator.
Hi..
I'll list down my observations of the bikes u have listed...

1) Bajaj wind is out of production now...

2) Kinetic bikes are not reliable (compared to the competition)...anyway, the company itself is in the doldrums for quite sometime now...

3) Suzuki zeus is a good bike, engine is very smooth & silent....but i personally don't like the styling.....the bike is noticeably underpowered...

4) Out of bikes u have listed, i believe that Gladiator suits your needs the most....U can get disc-brakes (optional), as also self-start (optional)...It has a big bike feel to it....Go for it....

Note: Other options you can consider....

Super Splendor / Glamour - It satisfies almost all of ur requirements....Pick up is comparable to Zeus....

Discover - currently the market leader in 125 CC category, but no disc brakes (not even as an option)

Happy riding....
Old 18th March 2007, 15:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk View Post
Hi..

2) Kinetic bikes are not reliable (compared to the competition)...anyway, the company itself is in the doldrums for quite sometime now...

3) Suzuki zeus is a good bike, engine is very smooth & silent....but i personally don't like the styling.....the bike is noticeably underpowered...

4) Out of bikes u have listed, i believe that Gladiator suits your needs the most....U can get disc-brakes (optional), as also self-start (optional)...It has a big bike feel to it....Go for it....

Super Splendor / Glamour - It satisfies almost all of ur requirements....Pick up is comparable to Zeus....

Discover - currently the market leader in 125 CC category, but no disc brakes (not even as an option)

Happy riding....
ok, wind and gf125 ruled out(after reading about kine in this forum and xbhp)

Suzuki Zeus, I dont mind if the bike looks bland, want to have a side box, so a sporty looking bike is not desired.

splender and glamour ruled out because they are 4-geared. i have my own doubts about their crusing ability between 60kmph and 80kmph without the engine being stressed.

Gladi was also in my mind, but only thing i am concerned is about the Yamaha talking about closing the shop here in india and was thinking about the After sales service. (yamaha is often compared with fiat here)

Another bike i was thinking about was Honda shine, but again its 4-geared; heard its comfortable only upto 60kmph after which the vibrations kicking up in. Also I feel the tyres are very thin.

I think finally I have to decide between Yamaha Gladiator and Suzuki Zeus.

Any other bike, did i missed out???
Old 18th March 2007, 15:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

I think the Suzuki Zeus makes more sense, if sporty looks doesnt matter much to you...

Although, the bike doesnt have exceptional power, the torque is more, and hence the bike is better for everyday use... And, i think the Suzuki and yamaha bikes are among the smoothest in the segment...
Old 18th March 2007, 15:25   #5

Quote:
ok, wind and gf125 ruled out(after reading about kine in this forum and xbhp)

Suzuki Zeus, I dont mind if the bike looks bland, want to have a side box, so a sporty looking bike is not desired.

splender and glamour ruled out because they are 4-geared. i have my own doubts about their crusing ability between 60kmph and 80kmph without the engine being stressed.

Gladi was also in my mind, but only thing i am concerned is about the Yamaha talking about closing the shop here in india and was thinking about the After sales service. (yamaha is often compared with fiat here)

Another bike i was thinking about was Honda shine, but again its 4-geared; heard its comfortable only upto 60kmph after which the vibrations kicking up in. Also I feel the tyres are very thin.

I think finally I have to decide between Yamaha Gladiator and Suzuki Zeus.

Any other bike, did i missed out???
I agree that Yamaha India's market share is very low..
but i don't think they are gonna shut shop here....they are trying to reorient their marketing strategy & product portfolios....
As for as A.S.S is concerned, i've heard that suzuki guys are really gud....the service guys seems to know what they are doing..(what i heard frm my friends)...I can't comment on yamaha's A.S.S, 'cause i don't know abt it...(i personally own a Unicorn)
I've seen Zeus bikes with matching side boxes, it suits the bike very well...but haven't seen one in a Gladiator...(i say, a side box won't luk gud in a gladiator)

I strongly suggest that u test ride both Zeus & Gladiator (at least 5-10 kms) before u decide...both the bikes are truly Japanese ones...reliable to the core...
Old 19th March 2007, 09:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Bikes I am considering:

Suzuki Zeus,
kinetic GF 125
Yamaha Gladiator.
interesting considerations, what I can suggested is test drive new splendor then decide if you need 5th gear.
Old 19th March 2007, 10:59   #7
BANNED

You can consider Suzuki Heat also. It is 5 speed non sporty. Looks decent with new alloys. Suzki zeus has alloys,disk break,self start and 5 speed. Suzuki heat/zeus has very good torque that will aid in good pickup. In zeus/heat the torque figures in NM are more than bhp figure compaired to other bikes(X-tra T-orque P-otential).
Old 19th March 2007, 12:29   #8
BHPian

Why not TVS victor

Why not TVS victor? Although Suzuki is really good, they dont have that good of a market share in India. Contrasting TVS, Bajaj and Hero have a great market. So spares would be cheaper and hence maintainance. Victor seems to have many variants around 125 cc. Their latest one being the Victor Sport or something (not sure of the name).

PS: I myself have a Suzuki fiero (which I bought when TVS was with Suzuki)
Old 19th March 2007, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanx guys,
heart says gladi, head says zeus.

but keeping my requirements in mind, i better listen to my head. So Suzuki Zeus it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjojo08 View Post
You can consider Suzuki Heat also. It is 5 speed non sporty. Looks decent with new alloys. Suzki zeus has alloys,disk break,self start and 5 speed. Suzuki heat/zeus has very good torque that will aid in good pickup. In zeus/heat the torque figures in NM are more than bhp figure compaired to other bikes(X-tra T-orque P-otential).
i didnt like the heat, it is too bland and do not come with a disc brake. if it is suzuki it will be zeus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
interesting considerations, what I can suggested is test drive new splendor then decide if you need 5th gear.
Are yuo talking about super splender?? if it i have to consider super splender, i will definitely go for zeus. What departments does the splender score more than the zeus???, i guess its the HH service network. Also I felt the need for 5th gear, when I was driving the bajaj caliber croma, its a decent bike which can touch 60 with ease, after that it can go upto 80kmph but felt the enigne is stressed and lot of vibrations.

as of now i am only interested in suzuki zeus. but shall reserve my decision till i find about the service centers in and around hyderabad and then decide. but as you have mentioned to take a test drive of super splendor, i shall do that as well.
Old 19th March 2007, 13:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, If you can live without disc brakes the best option is Bajaj Discover 125 ( with alloys) its a superb performer and pretty decent average as well. All other bikes in this category havent been such a hit as Discover.

I see that you like Zeus but be careful about its service options as after Samurai, suzuki has kind of faded in the background.
Old 19th March 2007, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Are yuo talking about super splender?? .... when I was driving the bajaj caliber croma, its a decent bike which can touch 60 with ease, after that it can go upto 80kmph but felt the enigne is stressed and lot of vibrations.
Yes, Splendor 125cc. As you are not conscious about the looks. You need performance and mileage. It perform well between 60kmph - 80Kmph. Do you intend to drive more than 80+ in city ? HH A.S.S will always be a major plus even after 3 years .. can we be sure about suzuki bikes or Zeus.
Also comparing it with caliber would not be right.
Old 19th March 2007, 14:01   #12
BHPian

How About Passion+ (-the 5th Gear.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk View Post
Hi..

Happy riding....
Quote:

2. good fuel economy.

6. After sales service.

Bikes I am considering:

Suzuki Zeus,
kinetic GF 125
Yamaha Gladiator.

if you are willing to forget the fifth gear(and the xtra25cc) then why not give a thought to hh passion+ well it satisfies your need of a bike for 5YEARS, FUEL ECONOMY, CRUSING SPEED, MAINTAINANCE,HAS DISC BREAK AS AN OPTION, AND ALSO THE SIDE BOX FITS IN JUST RIGHT......
Old 19th March 2007, 14:39   #13
BANNED

One more thing . Only bike with gas shock in 125cc segment is Victor GLX. It will give good comfort for long rides. So test ride that one also. Other wise put a gas shock in zeus after buying it. It will cost around 1800 Rs. The main negative with gladi is its shocks are non-adjustable.
Old 19th March 2007, 21:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

was out in the day looking for the bikes around. unfortunately only two of the five showrooms were open today.

and those two were suzuki and TVS.

experience @ suzuki: (for zeus)
the sales guy suggested me not to go for a bike with disk break for a 125cc 4-stroke bike!!!. one of the considerations for choosing zeus was the disk break. on the other hand he suggested me to go for heat if i dont mind the looks. the heat isnt that bad looking, i can consider it. also its costing only 41,000/- on road for the bike (with alloy wheels). while the zeus costs 49,000/-. ofcourse it comes with a disc break, electric start(ES) and front fairing. can live with out the fairing and ES and the disk break was not adviced.

took a test drive of zeus just for a km, it ran out of petrol!!!. the tranny is 1 down 4 up. I think it takes some pratice to get used to it. didnt notice much low-end torque, was up-shifting the gear @ 4000 rpm. will go for another proper test drive some time later in the week.

got some weird info at the showroom, I have noticed a board on which there are names of the customers and their phone numbers, who have put their FE figures. I noticed that heat has 3 to 4 km more FE than zeus, when i pointed this to the sales guy, he said thats because, heat is 4 kgs less in weight and also it is desinged for better air-flow.(i wonder which air flow they are talking about). As far as i Know zeus should be more aerodynamic than the heat.

I had a surprise at the suzuki showroom. There were 4 import bikes on display. Two were Suzuki Hyabusas!!! a 125 cc bike known as 125EN(it was of better quality than the zeus ot heat could easily make out the built quality) and a scoot. While the 125EN and scoot were not for sale. But the hyabusas are for sale!!! (though not by the suzuki india) for 13 lakhs (he said that price is bit more than usual because they have the servicing facilities for servicing hyabusa)

experience @ TVS: (for victor)

Quote:
One more thing . Only bike with gas shock in 125cc segment is Victor GLX. It will give good comfort for long rides. So test ride that one also.
there was no tvs victor gls available for display at the showroom. and that tvs victor glx, damn!!! its expensive. comming to around 51,000/- for a kick start vehicle. and the ES is comming to around 54,000/- with drum breaks ( if i add another 4000/- i can get a unicorn kick-start) the sales executive is quite a bloody liar. when i say the victor is bit expensive he says that zeus comes to around the same price, mind you its a ES for 49,000/- and further says that heat is only 110cc and further he argues with me that its indeed a 110cc bike. Either is a totaly dumb guy or trying to bluff me.

another point from this guy: 125cc isnt a segment at all, there is no potential in this segment!!!. And thats the reason tvs has only two variants in the 125cc segment while the star has 4 or 5 variants.

Quote:
Other wise put a gas shock in zeus after buying it. It will cost around 1800 Rs. The main negative with gladi is its shocks are non-adjustable.
gas shocks for 1800/-. hmmm, i can consider those for the heat as well in that case. But wont it void the waranty??? and also at a later day i can
go for a local made front fairing for the heat.
Old 19th March 2007, 22:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Bikes I am considering:

Suzuki Zeus,
kinetic GF 125
Yamaha Gladiator.
Well KK

my votes goes for Suzuki Zeus and Yamaha gladiator. you can trust on Suzuki's quality sicne my friend owns one. Smooth, simple to ride, ride posture is good. Try NOT taking Bajaj 125cc, the biggest dhimak karab is the service. There is no proper mechanic for this bike in Hyd, expect for the street ones., since you've seen different figues of heat. you might wanna check with heat owners.
I dunno why have you fazed out Glamour, the Galmour F.I system is doing well. i can always rely on Hh spares and service. Its good.
Yamaha Glad is good bike, but spares is a problem. Avg is bout 60 + i summize. Service.. I have no idea at all.

But why the disk brake? are you goint to start off stoppies now? Honda Shine disk brake is the most trusted one. I dunno about zeus and heat whether if has the diameter of Shine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks