Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Mojo 300 BS6 spied testing

A test mule of what could be the BS6-compliant Mahindra Mojo 300 has been spotted testing on the outskirts of Pune.

Mahindra Mojo 300 BS6 spied testing-20200703045443_bs6mojo300.jpg

In terms of looks, the updated Mojo 300 looks similar to its BS4 counterpart. The all-black test bike seen in this image is riding on black alloy wheels and has disc brakes at both ends. It has conventional telescopic fork suspension at the front and a monoshock at the rear.

The bike will be powered by a 295cc, single-cylinder, fuel-injected and liquid-cooled engine. In BS4 configuration, this engine produced 26 BHP @ 7,500 rpm and 28 Nm @ 5,500 rpm. In order to comply with the BS6 emission regulations, the Mojo 300 is likely to get a slightly modified exhaust with a secondary catalytic converter.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Mojo 300 BS6 spied testing

Finally dual channel ABS, BS6 emission standards and we have a terrific bike back in business, with CBR250 out and no real all round winner in the ~2L price bracket Mojo can certainly catch even more buyers.

I am thoroughly excited as hopefully this gives me just the right option I needed (I was currently focusing on TB350 as no other bike was as comfy but it is heavy and less on power)
darkLightning is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 00:03   #3
BHPian

Hope Mahindra price it right. The bike is a fine bike and makes an excellent touring bike with a huge 21l tank. The problem is the Dominar 400 is better in almost every way at a similar price. The only real reason to choose this bike is if you want something a little less common on the roads. Other than that the Dominar is faster, more features, has waay more 3rd party accessories and has a huge service network available across the country

Last edited by bf1983 : 4th July 2020 at 00:07.
bf1983 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 12:48   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
The bike is a fine bike and makes an excellent touring bike with a huge 21l tank.
I actually had to google this to ensure your post wasn't a typo. Wow, motorcycle tanks are getting bigger, while car tanks are getting smaller! Some small hatchbacks have tiny tanks, e.g. Kwid & its 28L tank. Ignis has merely a 32L tank, while the 10-lakh rupee Amaze & Dzire have 35 / 37 L tanks respectively. I've noticed in a lot of new cars that tank sizes are becoming smaller for weight, cost & packaging reasons.

Good to see bikes that buck the trend
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 14:24   #5
KPR
BANNED

Thunderbird of RE has a 20L big tank. And the smallest I've seen in a bike is Honda Navi's 3.8L.
Old 4th July 2020, 14:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I actually had to google this to ensure your post wasn't a typo. Wow, motorcycle tanks are getting bigger, while car tanks are getting smaller! Some small hatchbacks have tiny tanks, e.g. Kwid & its 28L tank. Ignis has merely a 32L tank, while the 10-lakh rupee Amaze & Dzire have 35 / 37 L tanks respectively. I've noticed in a lot of new cars that tank sizes are becoming smaller for weight, cost & packaging reasons.

Actually this bike tank capacity is an aberration than a norm. Most 250 - 400CC bikes have tank capacity in range of 12- 15 litres. Dominar has 13L capacity. The issue is that most bikes have a small tank covered by a large fiber cladding to give that macho look.

The Pulsar 125-220 range have a tank capacity @ reserve of 15 litres. At bone dry, a pulsar tank can gulp in 20L till brim. If Mojo is advertised as 21L then actual capacity will be around 25L, which gives it a phenomenal range advantage!

I would have plonked my monies in this bike if it was from Bajaj stable. I have had very bad spares and service experience from Mahindra 2 wheelers with our flyte scooter which has left a very sour taste and i have no confidence of buying this otherwise amazing bike. Atleast with Bajaj, i can get spares OTC and at other auto shops and do some DIY. No such thing with Mahindra.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th July 2020 at 14:31.
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 17:10   #7
BHPian

This bike was always intended to be an out and out tourer. Hence the massive 21L tank. I have gotten 580 km of full tank range from it! (Just over 31 km/l)

While the earlier XT models had an enviable spec sheet (USDs, Dual Exhaust, Diablo Rosso II's as stock), the current ABS model has been watered down in many ways. In a spec sheet comparison with the Dominar UG, the current Mojo loses out on almost every aspect! That 21 L tank is probably the only saving grace when it comes to comparing specs. The Domi has got more power and torque, better headlights, USDs, way better service coverage and as mentioned earlier, a larger kitty of aftermarket accessories to choose from. It probably is a cheaper by a few thousands too.

Specs sheet comparisons aside, the Mojo does have some aces up its sleeve. Despite loosing the USDs, it still has the comfiest suspension setup after the Himalayan. The engine is robust with a flat torque curve and best in class refinement. The brakes on the ABS Mojo are leagues ahead of the UT and XT models and (some say) even better than the Domi.

End of the day, if you're serious about an all out tourer in the 2.2L on-road segment, the Mojo should be given a serious look, although you will probably walk out with the Dominar UG owing to its VFM tag.
AlQuazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 17:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As others have also mentioned Thunderbird and Mojo are in a different league when it comes to tank range of middleweight bikes, TB is even advertised as one bike you can do Leh Ladakh circuit on without jerry cans. Most of the other bikes are still around 15L mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
And the smallest I've seen in a bike is Honda Navi's 3.8L.
Can we call Navi a bike ? even Honda website listed it completely in it's own section.
darkLightning is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
Despite loosing the USDs, it still has the comfiest suspension setup after the Himalayan. The engine is robust with a flat torque curve and best in class refinement. The brakes on the ABS Mojo are leagues ahead of the UT and XT models and (some say) even better than the Dominar
I dont own any of these bikes but have ridden them and I can say that for my liking Mojo is an all out tourer from the time you purchased the bike. The bikes seating position is spot on. The handle bars raised sufficiently enough to have a straight riding position. Dominar has a slight forward stance and it does cause some pressure on the wrists. If I were to buy a Dominar I would have to install a handle bar riser to bring comfort. Adding handle bar risers are sometimes not sufficient to raise the handle height to a sufficient level to bring a straight forward riding stance and relieve pressure on your wrists. Also if any modification required to change the clutch cable creates reliability issues also the clutch becomes hard. Throttle wires if not matched properly can cause the engine rpms to raise during a turn.
The feet position in a Mojo are exactly below your body while in Dominar its slightly biased towards the rear. Obviously Mojo was more comfortable for me.
I am not sure about this but I find seat height of Mojo slightly less than Dominar.
I also found the Mojo less heavy to drive at slow speeds compared to Dominar. The steering effort required was also less.
When comparing both engines I found Mojo to be more silent and vibration free rather than Dominar's. I also felt the initial pickup of Mojos engine in lower engine rpms was better than Dominar. Probably would lead to slightly less number of gear changes.

The biggest advantage Mojo had from Day-1 was its soft comfy suspension. No where Dominar even comes close to it. I infact immediately developed a dislike towards Dominar's suspension on bad roads. This is one thing I would categorise as major modification and would not like modify on a brand new Dominar. Tourer by default should be designed for comfort. Dominar is a sports tourer with some compromise on comfort to enhance top end performance.

Some parts of the Dominar like Clutch and Brake levers are not of good quality they bend easily. I don't know much about the quality of parts of Mojo but feel Mojo would be better. Owners can comment.

I personally feel the Mojo is a comfortable tourer and a Dominar a Sports tourer. What Dominar lacks in comfort compensates in by giving a better top whack and with all other features, gadgetry etc. But for touring the top most priority for a guy like me who's in 40's is comfort and reasonable power both of which are available in Mojo.

What strongly goes against the Mojo is the availability of spare parts in future, considering that its not selling in good numbers.

If I get a used Mojo for cheap, I don't mind buying it for sure. If it has to be a new bike I did plonk my money on Dominar and be sensible although I would always miss the comfort of a Mojo.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:45   #10
BHPian

I own a Matt Red BS3 Mojo (that is why the user id is travelling owl, referring to twin setup headlight of Mojo ), the refinement and reliability of the engine is something which cant be compared with the competition like Dominar. My bike is close to clocking 50k and still going well without single issues! Looking forward to BS6 bikes, hopefully Mahindra comes out with BS6 Mojo very soon! So far Mahindra has been very slow in updating the bike and that is one of the reason why they lost the market share!
travelling owl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:13   #11
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
Can we call Navi a bike ? even Honda website listed it completely in it's own section.
Well it's a bike for some and scooter for others. It has a fan following for being a pocket rocket in city traffic.
Old 6th July 2020, 21:29   #12
BHPian

Great news,
Now the 250/300 budget tourer battle will be between Mojo and Gixxer 250.

Can anyone, who has ridden both, give a brief comparison ?

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 01:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Great news,
Now the 250/300 budget tourer battle will be between Mojo and Gixxer 250.

Can anyone, who has ridden both, give a brief comparison ?

- Slick
Add FZ 25/ FZS 25, Dominar 250, Jawa(especially Perak) and ever present Duke also to the mix when it comes to 250/300 budget tourer battle.

I got a very brief taste and I must say strictly between Gixxer 250 and Mojo if you want more peace of mind, touring is not your top priority and you want an all rounder then Gixxer is where your money should go.

Mojo is an out and out tourer by definition and can be termed as a quite niche product by overall point of view.

People like me who are touring biased will prefer Mojo and as I said earlier after CBR250R left our shores Mojo is the one I can consider as a worthy successor, while CBR was a great bike on every aspect and had excellent touring credentials Mojo is the other way round, great tourer with good credentials everywhere else (which is why I called it an all rounder in my opinion).

So overall if you are high on touring get Mojo, else Gixxer is much much safer option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Well it's a bike for some and scooter for others. It has a fan following for being a pocket rocket in city traffic.
Navi deserves the Karizma engine

Last edited by darkLightning : 7th July 2020 at 01:21.
darkLightning is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
Add FZ 25/ FZS 25, Dominar 250, Jawa(especially Perak) and ever present Duke also to the mix when it comes to 250/300 budget tourer battle.

I got a very brief taste and I must say strictly between Gixxer 250 and Mojo if you want more peace of mind, touring is not your top priority and you want an all rounder then Gixxer is where your money should go.

Mojo is an out and out tourer by definition and can be termed as a quite niche product by overall point of view.
So overall if you are high on touring get Mojo, else Gixxer is much much safer option.

Navi deserves the Karizma engine
Thanks,
Yes, missed the Dominar 250 (though 400 is also 2.2L or thereabouts in Mumbai). The others won't be high for someone considering touring.

I recently got a Gixxer 250SF, So I am somewhat aware of how the Gixxer feels but never rode the Mojo, so checked. Thanks for the information. I will try and get a TD of the Mojo, for experience sake, once things normalize.

I have got the Gixxer recently and not toured on it but it feels like it will be a great tourer. The riding position feels spot on, at least at the moment.

A close friend owns the CBR so a small ride to compare is on the cards.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 7th July 2020 at 14:18.
Old 7th July 2020, 14:48   #15
BHPian

I'm curious. Where is Mojo sold? In the same showrooms as Gusto and Centuro? Wouldn't it be a better idea to bring Mojo under Jawa brand or at least sell Mojo in Jawa showrooms? (Edit: Gusto, not Guso)

Last edited by zaphodb : 7th July 2020 at 15:12.
zaphodb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks