Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:02   #91
BHPian

Re: Why is oil changed at such low intervals in 2-wheelers (~3000 km) compared to cars (~10000 km)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Was the oil changed at the first service? Highly recommend changing the oil after the first 1000 KM, this is where most of the metal particles from the initial smoothening of the cylinders would drop into the oil. Don't know if this theory is still valid in today's manufacturing environment, but doesn't hurt to change the oil after the initial "run-in".
Yes, engine oil was changed at the first service, odometer reading 1000km.
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:37   #92
BHPian

Re: Why is oil changed at such low intervals in 2-wheelers (~3000 km) compared to cars (~10000 km)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I don't think anyone does any serious research into this for Indian conditions. They want you to service the bike every 5000KM for a good reason - our potholed roads and dirty air must be throwing everything out of whack due to the vibrations and shocks to the entire chassis and related equipment. Tightening, realigning and lubing everything back to normal would certainly make the ride better.

I'm not really familiar with the new RE engines, and whether they still use their old manufacturing tech as compared to the Japanese high revving engines, but I think the tolerances are not as tight, so it may not make a difference to the performance even if the oil carries plenty of debris along with it.

This guy has quite a few videos, draw whatever conclusions you want! Watch what he says about silica. We must be in dirt bike mode at least 80% of the time.
https://Youtu.be/RGaM4vcyHlc
I am not challenging the 5000 Km service interval, I think it will help in maintaining the bike however 10K oil change interval seems to be becoming the norm specially in BS6 era. Before purchasing RE, i test rode BMW 310GS as well. It has service and oil change interval at 10K as well. I think the same engine is shared with TVS Apache RR as well. I assume they are testing it well, only times will tell us how engines hold up. You rightly said about lack of research for Indian conditions which definitely have more dust. Video was quite informative . Thx.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks