Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2022, 12:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki W175 coming to India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 1.47 lakh

This bike takes me back to the old days but the real question is do I really want to go back? especially with that absurd pricing!

Looks like engine and driveability will be the key with lower weight and a slightly longer wheelbase, but I still feel it is a little too expensive for what it offers.
NiInJa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 13:22   #62
BHPian

The bike, for sure, is an insult to the Indian customer. For keeping costs low, at least Kawazaki could have provided more mature body panels and a bare basic retro look, fit for customisation. This one always brings the picture of the old Bajaj Boxer to my mind.
Ashley Nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 13:31   #63
BHPian

Seems more like a stock clearance move to me than an actual launch. Specs are 10-15 years old at this point and this is not going to play the "neo-retro" tag. This is not how it's done. Only people who don't know much about bikes can fall for this or those who are die hard Kawasaki fans
Boringrider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:17   #64
BHPian

In terms of design, this doesn't look anything neo-retro but plain simply old. Kawasaki could have at least worked better on the design front and made it much more appealing.

For reference, this is 'OLD'
Kawasaki W175 coming to India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 1.47 lakh-kawasaki-w175.jpg
The Kawasaki W175

And this is 'NEO-RETRO'
Kawasaki W175 coming to India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 1.47 lakh-lambretta-x300.jpg
The Lambretta X300

A great design language makes an instant impact, drives numbers, builds brands, invokes emotions, forges communities, and creates everlasting memories. A poor design only gets lost in space with time.
Herschey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:22   #65
BHPian

Kawasaki could have at least provided a bigger engine, bigger forks, and better wheels for that price, it would have made some sense. This is not a niche product hence to make it mass market acceptable the bike needs to be on par with peers, which unfortunately it isn't. Those front forks and rear wheel hub looks like they have been taken out from a moped. Look at all that wiring mess below the tank, even Royal Enfield is doing a better job now a days with their wiring. Those tank pads looks hideous. Overall a very cluttered design, reminds me of some of the cheap Chinese commuter bikes sold in other countries.
ArTigor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:26   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The only figure that stands out is the kerb weight - at just 135kgs.
True. But the price-tag is heavier, for what it seems to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
I don't think this bike is that bad. I mean, even though a cursory look would give a lacklustre impression, I think this holds some promise..
Good points, @drt_rdr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Target Audience for this motorcycle - People who know nothing about motorcycles!
Or a micro-niche segment. There will be people like me who want a light bike, had enough juice to take a person around, that is not a commuter brand but definitely not the jazzy stuff that are available today which are styled for college kids and the younger youth age-group. Middle-aged folks like me find it difficult to get a bike that has just the right styling. We would look funny on a R15 or a NS etc. But then, this one isnt a looker - it's too plain. May be when I ready to give up my KB100, I will find a used one going cheap
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 15:15   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

To add-

Full Chrome Exhaust.
Smaller RX100 sized headlamp.
Chrome mirrors.

It has the basic silhouette of a good motorcycle but I hope they do not park it outside their showroom by mistake.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 15:28   #68
BHPian

I think the bike is quite sensible for what it is.
Let's look at the bike from a positive point of view.
The bike is retro and unashamedly so. Its main competitors, namely Ronin and Hunter both has their fair share of issues.

Potential customers looking for a retro themed bike is ready to pay a premium just for the styling, appeal and heritage. Case and point, the FZ-X costs nearly 20k more over the FZ, despite being nearly identical.

The Ronin has a very confused design language, doesn't really have the heritage (no offense) and is designed to appeal more to the head than to the heart.

The Hunter doesn't look retro at all and is aimed at luring newer, younger customer rather than diehard RE fans. Their true retro, the Classic is again 50k more, for what is a very similar bike.
Also, in terms of engineering, I would prefer a Japanese brand over an Indian brand any day (sorry again )

Now, the W175 has the Kawasaki heritage, engineering prowess, true retro theme and just the right amount of flair. The bike looks understated, minimalistic and yet elegant, something very hard to achieve (I hate too much chrome and golden shock absorbers). It has a 175cc engine producing 13bhp, which should give it relaxed, refined performance. It has a large, flat seat, which looks to be very comfortable, it has a simple instrument cluster, which looks elegant and should keep the rider's focus on enjoying the bike and the road (I can't imagine needing ride modes and lap timers in this). It has minimal panels and graphics. It has been in the international market for a while, meaning it is somewhat tried and tested. Last but definitely not least, it is very light at 135kg, meaning everyday usage will be a joy and performance and fuel efficiency will be decent.

Honestly, if one wants a better bike, there are Pulsars, Apaches and Gixxers, having much better performance, for much less.
But for the ones looking for a true retro, nothing else will do. I think it is the only truly retro bike in this segment. It has everything I need and nothing that I don't. I will be lining up to buy it, as soon as my pocket permits, since my heart is already sold to this beauty .
Ritkon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 16:52   #69
Senior - BHPian

I have a question. Will this bike rub shoulders with Ninjas at Kawasaki service stations in the City?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 17:37   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
In terms of design, this doesn't look anything neo-retro but plain simply old. Kawasaki could have at least worked better on the design front and made it much more appealing.

A great design language makes an instant impact, drives numbers, builds brands, invokes emotions, forges communities, and creates everlasting memories. A poor design only gets lost in space with time.
Very true. It look straight 20 years old at the showroom itself. Certainly not modern retro.
Bullfrog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 19:43   #71
BHPian

What a sorry excuse for a motorcycle! This feels like Kawasaki is mocking the Indian public, and I am sure they will face the wrath for it with its sales numbers.

Unfortunately, even their loyalists might not like to see this abomination alongside the real Kawasakis; and that means it will appeal to nobody.

I wonder how such glaringly wrong product decisions get made, and worse, approved!
Vibhav-Van is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 21:10   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Now, the W175 has the Kawasaki heritage, engineering prowess, true retro theme and just the right amount of flair.
If that be the parameters of a neo- retro, then why not the "CD Dawn"? Honda heritage, retro looks, bullet proof reliability and gives a hundred for a litre

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 26th September 2022 at 21:12.
Ashley Nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 21:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
If that be the parameters of a neo- retro, then why not the "CD Dawn"? Honda heritage, retro looks, bullet proof reliability and gives a hundred for a litre
Sure, why not?

Why is it that only RE gets the retro badge of honor and all their elephantine shortcomings get pushed under the rug in the name of "character"? Let's give room for underperforming, underwhelming bikes at premium prices from other makes too. Let's demand Hero re-release the Splendor Cafe Racer.

Kawasaki claims top notch build quality from segments above. If that's the truth, the quality of materials used, the engineering thought put into it, and durability could possibly make the premium hurt less. Better to wait for the bike to arrive at showrooms and check it out rather than jumping to conclusions based on internet bla bla, no?

Last edited by drt_rdr : 26th September 2022 at 21:57.
drt_rdr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 11:09   #74
BHPian

Curious to see what Kawasaki is attempting to do with this bike and where it will fit into their scheme of things? Also how will they be sold. If they wanted retro they should have got back the KB100 of old that was so cool!

Last edited by clementw : 27th September 2022 at 11:10.
Old 27th September 2022, 11:37   #75
BHPian

Day by day I am beginning to feel kawasaki getting desperate to bring in some sales number. They have relaunched the ninja 300 and now this. Who will go to a kawasaki showroom and say "I don't like any RE 350 models, I don't like honda 350s and I also don't like the jawa and yezdis". It looks like this will be a tough sell, even if they do it will be in initial days of launch.
I have a gut feeling if the drop in sales continue kawasaki might leave India.
Shonith is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks