Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 16:21   #1

Mirror Vibration and isolators for RE Classic 350

I recently bought a Classic 350. I love the bike. The only challenge I am facing is the vibration especially of the mirrors when driving above 80 kmph. I understand that I can reduce it using vibration isolators. However, I am unable to locate any online source for it.

Any pointer to where I can get vibration isolators for mirrors for Classic 350 will be very helpful. Any other tip to eliminate the issue including replacement mirror options, will be very good too.
Sattam Dasgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 19:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Mirror Vibration and isolators for RE Classic 350

The issue you are facing has plagued almost every single Bullet/Electra/CL350 owners and there is no real fix for this.

Hence do not invest any money in this direction, the RE bike itself is meant for leisure riding and not above 80kmph.
SS80 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 20:38   #3
BANNED

If you don't mind the aesthetics then do give the new Dominar mirrors a shot, they're made of solid aluminium.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 23:53   #4
BHPian

You can also try changing the stock handlebar to the RD350
type handlebar which comes with a rod in between. It helps in reducing vibrations and also improves riding posture since you tend to sit upright. Also, some people tend to replace the stock mirrors with the ones that come with the Bajaj Avenger for better visibility but personally I feel they look horrible.

Vibration is an inherent issue with the RE 350's so you'd have to deal with it. The bike really feels unconfident after 80km/h so it's better not to exceed that speed.
carfreak7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 03:40   #5
BHPian

I've come across 3 suggested ways to reduce RE vibration. Heavier handle bar end weights, filling handle bar with sand and Carberry vibration reduction plates.

Just how effective is each in real use?
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 07:40   #6
CSA

I also had this issue in my bike. Try using Motul 5100 15w50 it will seriously help you in reducing engine vibrations.
CSA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 14:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
filling handle bar with sand

One random day you will suddenly realise that the handlebar has become very light and before you appreciate how the bike has aged, the handlebar will be free in your hand since due to the sand inside the handlebar, it will increase the pace of rusting unless you are using a very exotic, dried variety and ensure no moisture can get into the handlbar. If this happens while riding it is going to be catastrophic. Hence please do not try such stuff and discourage someone you know who has done this. Go with some other ideas like a different mirror, and rest of the things you mention
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:46   #8
BHPian

Just pickup Avenger mirrors from any spare part shop. Cheap and effective solution. Tried and tested by me as well.
Old 19th October 2020, 14:05   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
I've come across 3 suggested ways to reduce RE vibration. Heavier handle bar end weights, filling handle bar with sand and Carberry vibration reduction plates.

The Carberry Plate has been proven to be ineffective without any scope for doubt. All it does is add an oil seal to support the crankshaft, but as logic would make it glaringly obvious, we're living in 2020, for the plate to be effective your Motorcycle would have to be really beaten out of whack or RE's QC should be way way off than it already is.

The RTR 180's is the heaviest bar end weights I've used to date. It's an insert type, if RE comes with a bolt on type handlebar which I'm assuming so then you'd need to go for a pre-weights era model bar as well. The TVS weights aren't cheap as well, they cost a premium.

Again to fill handlebar with sand you need a hollow bar, the ones from RE seems to be the types that sport bolt on bar end weights, these types have their ends sealed with a nut in place to mount weights. Then again there is possibility of accelerated corrosion so not really worth it.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 19th October 2020 at 14:19.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:11   #10
BHPian

A redneck method used to stiffen engine mounts in USA is to fill up the vacant space in the mount with windshield sealant. When it dries, it acts as a very good vibration damper.

Filling the handlebar with windshield sealant and allowing it to set, may act as a very good dampener.
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:32   #11
BHPian

I own a classic 500 and in the initial months of ownership I spent quite a lot of time and effort in looking for a solution to vibration issue. Trust me you will see hundreds of discussion, videos and write ups about this and some so convincing that you will give it a try and for initial few days, you will feel there is a perceptible reduction but at the end leant to live with it. This is then terms as an experience. So much so that a few people who have moved on to buy RE650 twins have stated that you no longer get that feel of owning a bullet anymore. No vibrations and good breaking are virtues single cylinder bullets should not possess.

Jokes apart, I see many of our fellow bhpians have already stated most of the known solutions. Timely oil changes (moving to a synthetic engine oil), regular servicing and maintaining the chain slack and oiling do seem to help somewhat. I heard about using spring washers instead of solid ones as they seem to absorb vibrations on handle mounts as well as engine mounts. Some resort to heavier weights on bar ends or welding a piece of iron bar between the curves of handle bar. These seem to work somewhat for most riders I know.

Personally I have started enjoying the feel. Waiting for 650 cruiser as I would definitely like to ride an RE with better breaking someday.

Do let us know about your experiences and ride safe.
Old 19th October 2020, 14:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattam Dasgupta View Post
I recently bought a Classic 350. I love the bike. The only challenge I am facing is the vibration especially of the mirrors when driving above 80 kmph. I understand that I can reduce it using vibration isolators. However, I am unable to locate any online source for it.

Any pointer to where I can get vibration isolators for mirrors for Classic 350 will be very helpful. Any other tip to eliminate the issue including replacement mirror options, will be very good too.
As many have pointed out , you can't reduce vibrations on a thumper.

Instead ride a diesel greaves engine powered bullet and you will sing praises to your bike

Last edited by srini1785 : 19th October 2020 at 15:16.
srini1785 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 15:19   #13
BHPian

If you think the Classic 350 has vibrations, wait till you ride the Classic 500. I own one since last 7 years and have learned to live it. They do somewhat reduce with timely oil changes and also after crossing few thousand KMs, but still enough to give you tingling hands and feet after a long ride.

I guess owning an RE comes with the good and bad experiences (its nowhere clsoe to a honda or a triumph smooth). Having said that, I have learnt to workaround the vibrations. Keeping RPMs in a smoth zone in the middle range and changing gears more often. Also coasting momentarily when using the mirrors is useful. These things are almost second nature now.
Old 25th October 2020, 19:37   #14
BHPian

I have a few friends who have upgraded to Avenger 220 street's mirrors. The mirrors themselves are big so vibrations do not hinder the view much.
Old 28th October 2020, 09:27   #15
BHPian

Bullets have vibration. Mirrors are pretty much unusable above 80 Kmph. But then again why would you want to go above 80 kmph on a Bullet? As a Bulleteer you just get used to the vibrating mirror and develop the skill to identify shapes and sizes on your mirror.

Dont look for a solution to remove Vibration. There is no logical reason to buy a Bullet when there are far better made bikes available cheaper. You, like me, must have purchased the Bullet for its feel and not for any logical utilitarian reason. So immerse yourself in the feel for the bike!

I had a Hero Honda Hunk for 3 years before I bought my Bullet. Hunk never crashed, never left me stranded. Bullet has left me stranded on multiple terrains, multiple conditions. If it was a regular bike that would have been logical reason to ditch the bike. But with Bullet that just increased my love affair with the bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks