Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 21:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?

I think this is another example of Honda's conservative approach in general. It's annoying for many, but these could be the points they're considering.

#1. Strong as its sales potential is, this won't make a serious dent in Royal Enfield's volumes anytime soon. RE's fan base and community strength is something that helps them sell bikes, often with greater effect than product competencies.

#2. Selling it through big wing automatically makes it more appealing to those interested. It's the difference between having an 'Africa' next to the bike instead of an 'Activa'. Basically MS Arena vs NEXA.

#3. Honda's strength in the premium bike space is its strong after-sales reputation. Good customer experience, affordability and knowledgeable mechanics are things Honda Big Wing offers (from what I've heard from owners). For other brands, it's 2/3 of these at most.

Addendum to #3, given that Honda's ownership experience is arguably one of their strongest selling points, they may want to take things slow with their first premium bike that has serious volume sales potential. Getting too many customers too soon might leave service centres unprepared and damage a carefully developed reputation. This, in turn, can negatively impact the bigger premium bike sales too since it's vital customer bait to begin with.

I think the Hness is both, a revenue driver and a long term gauge for future product launches too. Honda's going to get aggressive with high end bike launches from now on, so they'd want to make sure any goodwill is permanent.
Tushar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 08:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Just the other day, I read this somewhere.

"American companies think of the next quarter. Japanese companies think of the next quarter of a century".

Working at a major component supplier, I have had the chance to closely work with all the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers here in Japan over the past several years. This has given me a clearer picture of what each company prioritizes, how they think and what drives them.

Although I have never been a Honda fan (always been a Yamaha fanboy), having worked with the Honda Japan R&D team, I have a newfound respect for their way of thinking.

Yes, they are slow in their actions, and they are not always cost competitive when compared to their Indian counterparts who are much more agile in responding to the market needs. Honda knows this, and they have a solid strategy to change this over the coming years.

Compared to any other Japanese motorcycle manufacturer, I have come to trust that Honda prioritizes the quality and also the usability of their motorcycles. May be this ends up making their motorcycles a bit 'universal' or 'generic', but that's what most of the market needs.

As far as their strategy of selling the CB350 only via Big Wing outlets goes, it is understandable how annoying it is for potential customers who don't live in a big city. Honda knows this as well, and I am sure that the number of Big Wing outlets will multiply over the coming months and years.

Even if I didn't live near a Big Wing outlet, and I really wanted a CB, I would have just gone ahead and got one. I really don't think the bike will need frequent visits to the service center. And for sure, the sales and service experience will be much better as compared to buying from a regular Honda outlet full of Activa riders.

As for me, I do dream of owning a shiny new CB1100EX in the next 2 years or so. That shall be my forever bike.

Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-capture.jpg

Although Honda has clearly benchmarked RE for the CB350, the genes of the bigger CB model is unmistakable, in my humble opinion at least.

Last edited by Viju : 26th October 2020 at 08:29.
Viju is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 08:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Honda spoke to Indian customers and took feedback while developing the CB350 at all. They did maintain secrecy, and kudos to that. Besides, the engine will remain solid as ever and I have zero concerns regarding that. I'm talking about other matters; The paint scheme on Pro versions are a clear miss (Base versions with solid single tone looks the part). I feel RE got this right. Look at the bike you've shown. It looks really elegant. Why not bring in this scheme? There is no rev counter. Regarding ride quality, Bike is slightly on the stiffer side. The much talked about Honda App works only on Android. Version2 should be interesting. They should also have Honda branded Helmets (High-end) and Jackets. Slightly OT, Will the CB1100 EX be your India purchase or in Japan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Although I have never been a Honda fan (always been a Yamaha fanboy), having worked with the Honda Japan R&D team, I have a newfound respect for their way of thinking

Last edited by Sebring : 26th October 2020 at 08:59.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Slightly OT, Will the CB1100 EX be your India purchase or in Japan?
Definitely here in Japan. The CB1100EX costs the equivalent of 9.85 lac INR, and I feel it is good value for money. Having ridden one for 3 days, I was really impressed by the fit and finish, and the overall attention to detail. It's not high on bhp, but it's the kind of machine I would want to keep for the rest of my life. As I turn 40 next year, I am no more keen on getting a screaming liter class superbike.

I am in India for only 3 weeks in a year. I have devised a cunning plan to gift a CB350 to my father-in-law, so that I can have an enjoyable ride while I am there.

Just waiting for Honda to iron out any niggles in the first batches, and may be get a 2021 model, with a better color scheme. Hope they don't jack up the prices too much by then!
Viju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 01:06   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Definitely here in Japan. The CB1100EX costs the equivalent of 9.85 lac INR, and I feel it is good value for money. Having ridden one for 3 days, I was really impressed by the fit and finish, and the overall attention to detail. It's not high on bhp, but it's the kind of machine I would want to keep for the rest of my life. As I turn 40 next year, I am no more keen on getting a screaming liter class superbike.
Sigh. The forever bike. I'm totally in line with your thinking. I had to sell off my Honda CBR650F earlier this year (due to personal reasons) and I always keep fantasizing on what the next bike is going to be.

I end up telling myself that it should be a Honda and it should be something I keep with me till the end of the line. I guess it will be be a relaxed naked / UJM Honda. Honda showed off a retro CBF concept based on the CB1000 earlier this year which was very interesting but i guess i want something slower. The CB1100 EX / RS should do very fine if at all they decide to bring it here. They also have a CB1300 in Japan which you could consider.

Last edited by loki : 28th October 2020 at 01:09.
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:19   #36
BHPian

Hyderabad now has a Big Wing dealership! Honda's on the right track, I believe.
Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-screenshot_20201030223501902_com.microsoft.emmx2.jpg
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 19:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Kerala have the most number of Big Wing dealerships?? This, when most states just scrape thru with 1 or 2 dealerships at the max!
Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-screenshot_202010311543112.png

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st October 2020 at 19:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 10:37   #38

These guys are not professionals, The new Import mechanic from Harley Davidson is good. I had my worst nightmare from buying the bike from them. Selected the bike paid money that bike was sold to someone, had to take another one and from day one their is an issue with the handle/steering issues. The problem got worse after my 1st service and then more problems after fixing the accessories.
They misaligned the rear wheel due to which the chain slackness was uneven and Honda never bothers to contact the customer directly, Instead the dealer gets in touch. Honda If it was USA under Lemon Law you had to replace the bike or give back my money.

After many emails with Honda, no proper response only after I posted my complaint number on the Big Wing Twitter handle, the other dealer Fortune Honda AGM contacted me.
somehow I didn't wanted to escalate the matter and Fortune Honda did repair some of it. AFter 1700 Kms engine oil started leaking, weird sound comes in cold start. Handle/Steering issues still there.
Autofin Honda must be evaluated by Honds that are they really capable of being a Big Wing dealer.
Ismail Swim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 19:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Honda BigWing opened two new showrooms in Meerut and Kollam.

Honda BigWing Meerut Address

Honda BigWing Meerut South
135, Punjabi Pura, Near Ramlila Ground, Delhi Road, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh – 250002

Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-20210327_194106.jpg

Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-20210327_194110.jpg

Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-20210327_194117.jpg

Honda BigWing Kollam Address

Honda BigWing Kollam East
NH 208, Near Town Limit, Kadappakada, Kollam,
Kerala – 691008

Your thoughts on Honda's BigWing strategy with the CB350 H'ness?-smartselect_20210327194052_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks