Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 12:41   #1
BHPian

Om Shakti TVS tries selling single-channel ABS bike, instead of the dual-channel version paid for

A cousin of mine was in the market for a 2 wheeler and I recommended him the Apache 200 (after considering his requirements and budget) which he booked after extensive test drives of both the Apache and other competitors.

He explicitly booked and paid for the Apache 200 Dual Channel ABS with 'Rear Liftoff Protection" (as it is termed by TVS) at Om Shakti Motors Maduravoyal Chennai a week ago.

Since this is his first ever vehicle purchase, I have been guiding him and told him to insist on a PDI before vehicle is sent for registration and after some grudging (saar never heard of PDI for bikes saar) this was arranged for him yesterday.

He checked the mileage, wanted to check the electricals but the vehicle would not switch on (Fuel Sensor Error), the service guy asked him to come back today and that this was just some connection and it will be done by the guys who work on the Apache (he works on the scooters only, fair point).

I told my cousin to take a photo of the VIN and photos of the bike from all directions, check mileage and go back today (this was yesterday). He did and surprise surprise, the bike shown to him was a single channel ABS version.

This version - https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/new-l...284-2020-09-22

Which is about 5k cheaper than the dual channel version and more importantly the safety aspect which is better in the dual channel version.

Any other less discerning customer would have simply purchased this version, paid a higher price and literally not even known about it, and unfortunately the majority of our market do not do PDI's even for luxury cars.

What gets my goat is this blatant bait and switch. My cousin has now gone back strongly to the SA, told him to get the version he paid for.

The wait begins again!

Last edited by Sheel : 27th October 2020 at 19:39. Reason: ver = version.
Stribog is online now   (49) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Om Shakti TVS tries selling single-channel ABS bike, instead of the dual-channel version paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
The wait begins again!
If your cousin wants to escalate this issue in case the situation doesn't play out to his satisfaction, every TVS showroom/service center has the regional customer service manager's phone number prominently displayed at the reception counter. All it takes it one phone call to him/her to bring these jokers in line. Another way is to submit a complaint via their website. I have tried both options in the past (albeit for servicing problems), and they definitely work.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th October 2020 at 13:03.
comfortablynumb is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 16:34   #3
BHPian

re: Om Shakti TVS tries selling single-channel ABS bike, instead of the dual-channel version paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If your cousin wants to escalate this issue in case the situation doesn't play out to his satisfaction, every TVS showroom/service center has the regional customer service manager's phone number prominently displayed at the reception counter. All it takes it one phone call to him/her to bring these jokers in line. Another way is to submit a complaint via their website. I have tried both options in the past (albeit for servicing problems), and they definitely work.
Yeah, have asked him to do just that, and not take this easy. This is a blatant attempt to cheat a customer and I think that the corporates in TVS at least need to hear about it.
Stribog is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 18:27   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Om Shakti TVS tries selling single-channel ABS bike, instead of the dual-channel version paid fo

PDI rocks . And anyone who doesn't do PDIs is a fool, especially in India where consumer protection laws are poor. People will spend 20 hours researching on their next smartphone, but not just 1 - 2 hours checking out their soon-to-be car or motorcycle????

Glad you were there to help him out as a friend .
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:11   #5
BHPian

Re: Om Shakti TVS tries selling single-channel ABS bike, instead of the dual-channel version paid fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
PDI rocks . And anyone who doesn't do PDIs is a fool, especially in India where consumer protection laws are poor. People will spend 20 hours researching on their next smartphone, but not just 1 - 2 hours checking out their soon-to-be car or motorcycle????

Glad you were there to help him out as a friend .
Not just PDI, am simply amazed at how people invest in expensive purchases including TV's in showrooms only because of whatever gyaan the sales guys feed them!

A senior in my org recently picked up a Velour (spelling?) and was proudly boasting that he never went to the showroom and how his accountant and driver did the work!

Really? You spend a crore and can't be arsed to even check what it is that you are getting?

Update - My cousin is a fairly timid chap, didn't escalate as I told him to do so, and is now telling me that the SA told him and I paraphrase,

"I spoke to the plant in Hosur, I didn't know it was single channel we sent you to do the PDI, new stock will come only by 2nd week of Nov, so please wait".

Told my cousin to get me the number of the manager (as per the escalation matrix in TVS), I plan on speaking with them and also raising hell on Twitter if TVS is on there. This is simply unacceptable.

The darned showroom is like 20 kms away else I would have marched down there myself.

Last edited by Stribog : 28th October 2020 at 17:14.
Stribog is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 09:32   #6
BHPian

I was once doing the PDI for my friends Wagon R at a dealership yard in Trivandrum.

I had spoken with the sales executive beforehand and arranged for the PDI. It also helped that it was the 3rd car in 2 years he was getting to sell through me.

But the security guard was clearly not happy. As I was going about the PDI he was pacing back and forth. Finally he came upto me and said no one has ever done this here, you are not supposed to come here. (Actually my previous 2 PDIs with the same dealer were at the same yard).

I replied brother, if you are buying vegetables for Rs. 50/- wouldn't you check them before you buy them.? Shouldn't I be checking a 5 Lakh rupee car before I buy it?

That was enough for him to leave me alone for the rest of the PDI.
Ramon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Around this time last year, I was in the market for a gearless scooter and had zeroed in on Suzuki Access and TVS Jupiter. The ride comfort and fuel efficiency had me tilting towards the latter; it was also cheaper.

The only fly in the ointment was the attitude of the dealer.

First, they wanted me to buy without a test ride. When I insisted on one, they brought in a scooter that had been left there for its first free service.

Secondly, the price list included two components - compulsory accessories and optional accessories. The former included such essentials as the side stand and mirrors. I had never heard of, or was ready to accept a fresh vehicle that comes without mirrors. There was also a processing charge of around 2K. The dealer principal wasn't ready to let go of these. Not just that, he was behaving as if I was being done a favour by being allowed to own a Jupiter.

I promptly decided to take my business elsewhere.
Old 29th October 2020, 14:34   #8
BHPian

Quite similar experience for a fairly popular Malayalam youtuber who bought
TVS Apache RR 310 , their flagship model from a dealer in Kerala.
Pathetic buying and delivery experiences for premium bike. Not posting the video here as it's fully in Malayalam.
Old 29th October 2020, 15:00   #9
BHPian

Update - Tweeted at TVS yesterday, my cousin also at my urging got the number of the manager from the escalation matrix, and gave him a piece of his mind.

The branch manager who was also around when he made that call and the SA are giving clearly conflicting stories.

SA says that from September itself no stock of Dual channel

His boss was saying that and get this, "new model launch in November saar, best features coming up, so please wait"

I was in conference with said manager, and told my cousin to demand an on the spot refund of the initial amount and booking to be cancelled.

At this point magically they said they can arrange stock from another known (to them) dealer called Lakshmi TVS and they will have the dual channel model available for PDI by Saturday.

We have agreed on this point, and will be visiting for PDI of dual channel model on Saturday, if not will be demanding full refund and change dealers or even go for the Pulsar.

Interestingly enough, not one person has apologised, they have not even accepted their error! Such is the attitude of these people.
Stribog is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 15:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Interestingly enough, not one person has apologised, they have not even accepted their error! Such is the attitude of these people.
Not just "these people", I see a pattern in whole of Chennai as such; I'm not saying folks in Bombay would fall at your feet, but, least they be in the mode of like, "yes, there's an issue, now how can we quickly close this & move forward" instead of trying to cover up & show they're helpless. I'm not stereotyping, but this is my experience. I think most folks value business of doing personal favors rather than making money; unless we know them personally, nothing moves.

IMHO, if he likes Apache 200, he should go for it, but from a different dealer. Good that they didn't register the vehicle & this whole ordeals starts otherwise you'll be forced to accept what they're throwing at you.
Old 15th November 2020, 01:21   #11

This exact thing happened with me as well. Paid for dual channel RTR on 25th Oct and took the deliver and since I did not know what to check for in ABS and stuff came home. on 30th I got a message from insurance that its done but it said 1CH.
Called the dealer asked with about he said it happened by mistake and will refund remaining amount. I refused and returned the bike and asked for dual channel variant and not the difference in amount. I also got a written note from him on the back of the cash receipt that delivery is pending.
Now on 4th of November I called him and said I want the new version with the ride modes. Here in my city Nagpur, Maharashtra its only 1k more than dual channel. He said he will place the order for that.
Still waiting for the bike. Anyway to escalate this. Have already written an email to Tvs customer care id but no response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks