Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Electra 350 as someone's first motorcycle?

The UCE is dependable compared to the CI or AVL. If kept with diligence and care it carries on effortlessly. I have a UCE TB running at 1,15,000 kms with stock crank and pistons.
The weight is something you will get used to in sometime. But ride the RE as a RE and not as KTM or other sport bikes. I know people who complain being a 350cc it does not reach 100kmph effortlessly.
The sweet spot for touring is 80-90kmph. Put slime in the tubes and attach an extra clutch cable to the existing. The throttle cable does not break easily.
Use a grade of semi-synthetic or synthetic for slightly better performance. Keep the chain lubed and tightened every 500kms.
You can customize the bike to your needs if you are in Delhi-NCR at Karol Bagh. You can literally get any iteration out of it.
With RE mechs more available roadside nowadays it has better support. The UCE is probably discontinued but spares will not be a problem.
Compared to the current gen RE's the UCE (Electra) is a simple machine which gives less headaches in city or highways.
Its a love-hate relationship with the old RE's. You cuss it or love it but might not stop riding it !!
SidharthaN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 10:41   #17
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions !
I recently took a long test-ride of the Electra 350. It has actually has 30K kms on the ODO. Here were my observations from the ride:
  1. The vibration are subdued till 75kmph after which the Electra vibrates like crazy.
  2. The suspension is composed and soaks up bumps pretty well
  3. There is froth collection or something in the fuel tank. The inner walls of the tank appear reddish. This appears really problematic.
  4. The rear drum brakes are working just fine, but the front disc brake has no feel left. Could be an issue of just the brake pads or something deeper.
  5. The horn isn't working, but that's just a matter of changing the horns.
  6. The engine feels amazing. Still pulls like a locomotive, barring the vibrations

While riding the Electra in the traffic, I could easily manage the weight. The main problems for me I think were that -
  1. The cruising speed if below 80kmph. Modifications would have to be made to make it even a 90kmph cruiser.
  2. The inner walls of the tank were covered in some layer which looks troublesome.

Can anyone tell me if the tank-washing, and subduing the vibrations would be expensive on the pocket ?
Old 28th December 2020, 17:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubodhRage View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions !
I recently took a long test-ride of the Electra 350. It has actually has 30K kms on the ODO. Here were my observations from the ride:
  1. The vibration are subdued till 75kmph after which the Electra vibrates like crazy.
  2. The suspension is composed and soaks up bumps pretty well
  3. There is froth collection or something in the fuel tank. The inner walls of the tank appear reddish. This appears really problematic.
  4. The rear drum brakes are working just fine, but the front disc brake has no feel left. Could be an issue of just the brake pads or something deeper.
  5. The horn isn't working, but that's just a matter of changing the horns.
  6. The engine feels amazing. Still pulls like a locomotive, barring the vibrations

While riding the Electra in the traffic, I could easily manage the weight. The main problems for me I think were that -
  1. The cruising speed if below 80kmph. Modifications would have to be made to make it even a 90kmph cruiser.
  2. The inner walls of the tank were covered in some layer which looks troublesome.

Can anyone tell me if the tank-washing, and subduing the vibrations would be expensive on the pocket ?
No matter what modifications you do the UCE will not relieve you off vibrations post 80 kmph. The best I can think off is using a semi-synthetic or synthetic grade engine oil, and using the soft cushion handle grips, along with wearing hard soled shoes. Do not go by suggestions of changing the handlebar etc. I really think the stock handlebars are the heaviest, tunes down the vibes to the max extent. You can try the original Thunderbird handle for better seating position, but its a matter of choice and comfort. can suggest you more touring mods depending on your preference.

For the tank you can just get a replacement tank from Karol Bagh to save you of current or future headache. Jeetu at Naiwala is your go to shop.

Btw, I am also from Kharagpur and reside in Noida. PM me for more details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks