Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 21:53   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield 650 Twin engine build quality on par with German makes | Scientific Comparison

The brand new Fortnine video shows the results of an independent lab testing the concentration of particulate matter in the engine oil of brand new engines. RE ranks toe to toe with BMW. Bringing up the rear are Ducati, Aprilia, and Yin Xiang (a Chinese make). The Italian stallions do have a reputation but I'm pleasantly surprised by RE here. Well done, Team Chennai.
thebengalee is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 23:21   #2
BHPian

Scientific motorcycle manufacturing "hygiene" comparison

My YouTube subscription box had this amazing video by FortNine today.
What a wonderful comparison of motorcycle manufacturers' manufacturing prowess! I will not comment on the contents of this video to not spoil the results, but it's a very very nice surprise on the top!

Dear Mods,
I am not sure if there is a similar thread on this topic, I didn't find anything that has this kind of comparison with a reputed data source. Please merge the thread to a relevant one, if required. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 15th April 2021 at 18:03. Reason: Video removed from post - see post above.
chautob0t is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 23:37   #3
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield 650 Twin engine build quality on par with German makes | Scientific Comparison

^Damn you! beat me to it! BTW it was such heartening to see RE of all at the top. Beating the Japs!! No small feat this.
rascalangel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:56   #4
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield 650 Twin engine build quality on par with German makes | Scientific Comparison

It is already mentioned in the video but I would like to reiterate that the sample size was 1 for every company. While it is less likely that the results are wrong for every bike in the list it is highly likely that at least one bike may not be what these results suggest. Also riders style may matter a lot.
rarkit is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 12:05   #5
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield 650 Twin engine build quality on par with German makes | Scientific Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarkit View Post
It is already mentioned in the video but I would like to reiterate that the sample size was 1 for every company. While it is less likely that the results are wrong for every bike in the list it is highly likely that at least one bike may not be what these results suggest. Also riders style may matter a lot.
I agree that the sample lot is very low and doesn't paint a significant picture overall but the happiness is to find an Indian manufacturer that too of all Royal Enfield whose vehicles were crude by a large margin and refinement never featured in their books obtaining this result itself speaks a lot and honestly deserves a credit where due!

Happy to see the 650 parallel twin engine being accepted by many - not only in India but foreign markets too. Says what potential this engine has and what all products can be offered keeping this engine in mind.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 650 Twin engine build quality on par with German makes | Scientific Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Happy to see the 650 parallel twin engine being accepted by many - not only in India but foreign markets too. Says what potential this engine has and what all products can be offered keeping this engine in mind.
Indeed, it is. They have really done great work and from what I have read interceptor has been very well received in developed markets. Maybe finally they will be able to shed the unreliable tag with all the great work they have put in recently.
rarkit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 00:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post
The brand new Fortnine video https://Youtu.be/9GAUo8eUXeU shows the results of an independent lab testing the concentration of particulate matter in the engine
Just saw this video by chance on my YouTube feed and wanted to post it here for everyone. I am pleasantly surprised to see it’s already posted here. Thanks for the share seems like I don’t have to go anywhere other than Team BHP.

By the way I would edit the headline to reflect the actual result. I would use the word “beat” and not “at par”.

Last edited by pandabear : 18th March 2021 at 00:16. Reason: Added a point regarding the heading
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 00:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Italian stallions do have a reputation but I'm pleasantly surprised by RE here. Well done, Team Chennai.

Royal Enfield 650 Twin engine build quality on par with German makes | Scientific Comparison-12.png

Even I was surprised on seeing this list. It seems like RE have really worked hard to get to this level. Kudos to the team for achieving something like this.
TrackDay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 23:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Just saw this video by chance on my YouTube feed and wanted to post it here for everyone. I am pleasantly surprised to see it’s already posted here. Thanks for the share seems like I don’t have to go anywhere other than Team BHP.

By the way I would edit the headline to reflect the actual result. I would use the word “beat” and not “at par”.
You're looking only at the rankings for the finer particles. For larger particulates, Yamaha comes out on top. RE is still playing in the same ballpark as BMW, which is laudable. Needless to say, larger particles can cause more significant engine damage.
thebengalee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 11:26   #10
BHPian

This is a remarkable achievement for RE.

A few years ago, buying a new RE from the showrooms was akin to visiting a used bike dealer, in the sense that the new bikes came with so many issues from the factory.

Moving up from that level to a global level in 10-12 years is a remarkable achievement. This also sets a great benchmark for others to follow.
Mafia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 18:29   #11
BHPian

Woh! there. Surprising result for RE, atleast in my mind. I've always imagined RE bikes to be leaking oil, rusting prematurely and have seen blown/seized RE 350 Classic engines on long fast drives. So the results is quite promising for the newer RE models. Especially eyeing the Int 650 and Meteor but could never get myself to commit to buy RE.

Reckon it is time to take a hard look at RE models now and probably buy the Int 650.
snappysam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 20:21   #12
BHPian

This is tempting me to splurge on a rocker red continental GT. Wow! I am super happy that an Indian manufacturer is at the top of the chart, that too a Royal Enfiled. Well done Sid and RE.

Last edited by Godzilla : 4th April 2021 at 20:24.
Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:54   #13

It definitely is a 'vindication for RE' after their reputation of machine breakdowns.
But what we also need to consider is, probably the RE bike they tested here was an export product from the Chennai manufacturer.
It is assumed up to some level of certainty that RE has a different quality check protocol for export products as compared to domestic ones.
So will the domestic models sold here, return the same results? That's a big question.

There's a lady by the name of 'Noraly'(YouTube handle: Itchy Boots) who rode the domestic version of RE Himalayan from India(Delhi) to Netherlands.
She wanted to register her bike there, but was informed, she would've to get her bike tested for emissions at some government authorized center, before it goes for registration.
And she was advised against doing this, as the 'Indian' bike would inevitably fail the stringent tests there and she would end up losing money paid in terms of testing fees.
She also mentioned in some video the difference between the 'Indian' version of Himalayan and the 'offshore' version of it.

So, IMHO, if you're living overseas, you can definitely assume your RE to be as clean as mentioned by 'Fortnite', but if you're living in India, well, let's just take some pride in those test results.
i@M.S.K is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 12:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The brand new Fortnine video... shows the results of an independent lab testing the concentration of particulate matter in the engine oil of brand new engines.
I watched it too. I went in awe! Beautiful isn't it? Sad to see Honda and Suzuki trailing behind, nevertheless those Italians. This video inspired me to get one done on Indian soil. Hopefully soon.
benvsben is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 10:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

While the results of the test are very encouraging and are a small sign of validation for all the efforts taken by Royal Enfield over the years to transform themselves, we should remember that
- the sample size is 1 (no scientific study gets accepted with that number!!)
- samples are provided by strangers and the bikes were not ridden in the same conditions
- Royal Enfield is in the top 3 for the different sizes tested. I dont know if these are the only industry wide approved sizes that are used for testing.

At best this is anecdotal but it does make for an interesting observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
This is tempting me to splurge on a rocker red continental GT. Wow! I am super happy that an Indian manufacturer is at the top of the chart, that too a Royal Enfiled. Well done Sid and RE.
I too am very tempted by the Rocker Red !

Quote:
Originally Posted by i@M.S.K View Post
It definitely is a 'vindication for RE' after their reputation of machine breakdowns.
But what we also need to consider is, probably the RE bike they tested here was an export product from the Chennai manufacturer.
It is assumed up to some level of certainty that RE has a different quality check protocol for export products as compared to domestic ones.
So will the domestic models sold here, return the same results? That's a big question.
It is well established that Royal Enfield North America (RENA) has set up a 100 point inspection program for the bikes that are imported into the USA.

So basically, all the bikes roll off the same production lines here in India and get the same factory PDI before being shipped to the USA. There they have a second PDI (the 100 point inspection) by RENA before the bikes get sent to dealers for the dealer PDI and subsequent sale.

The bikes sold in India get the factory PDI and then the dealership PDI. There is no middle step of the 100 point inspection. I think it is fair to say that the Royal Enfield bikes sold in India are the same as that what is sold in the USA.
neil.jericho is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks