Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 22:15   #1
BHPian

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke

I have been looking for a small visor for my 390 since the time I bought it in 2019. Unfortunately, most of the visor in the market are for the previous generation 200 & 390. There is 1 visor for the 390 Duke but its too big for my liking.

So had to think of a way to make a visor as per my requirements. It so happens that the speedocover of the previous generation gixxer 150 is perfect for the 390s display.

However, you need to get the front indicator brackets from the RE classic and use it as a bracket on the indicator of the duke. Make 2 holes on the cover in line with the holes of the bracket adjusting the height of the cover with respect to the display as per your liking. Use spacers and long M6 bolts with rubber bushing to mount the cover on the bracket.

I have fixed the number plate on the cover itself just like the gixxer. I haven't found any other suitable location for the number plate as of now.

Parts used:
1. Gixxer speedo cover.
2. RE classic indicator brackets
3. Rubber bushing from Yamaha RX100 side cover
4. Number plate bracket from gixxer
5. M6 bolts
6. Spacers (its jugaad)

I hope this helps whoever is looking to do something about that bare empty look on the front end of the Duke.
Attached Thumbnails
Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-20210310_114308.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-20210318_215604.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-20210304_184330.jpg  

Shonith is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 15:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke

To me, it looks like someone put a toupee on Johnny Sins

The install is clean though and I am sure it will find many takers

Ride safe!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 19:32   #3
BHPian

Alternatively, you can also use Bajaj AS200 Visor.

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-inked20201205_15461102_li.jpg
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 19:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of the modifications made by a fellow tbhpian and a good friend of mine rider60:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post1868559 (Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9))

Hope this thread helps in getting new ideas.
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 19:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Clean mod for the bits included. The bike would look better if the license plate is removed and the number stickered on the visor (just my liking). As I always say, self help is the best help.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 5th April 2021, 19:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The bike would look better if the license plate is removed and the number stickered on the visor (just my liking). ...
However, per current rules, the licence number must be on a separate plate.

Do keep an eye out

Old 5th April 2021, 19:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
However, per current rules, the licence number must be on a separate plate.

Do keep an eye out

Cheers!
VJ
Old 5th April 2021, 22:38   #8
BHPian

Or you can buy this one from Amazon for Rs 1900. It's a simple DIY, took me half an hour to bolt it on the bike. Wind buffetting up to 100kmph or even 120kmph is good. Anything beyond these numbers is felt directly on the neck and head. Comes in Orange, smoke, transparent and black colored options.

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20200619_180644.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20200620_163901.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20200802_165416.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20201024_082926.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20201118_082835.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20201122_133741.jpg  

EshanS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 00:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
t's a simple DIY, took me half an hour to bolt it on the bike. Wind buffetting up to 100kmph or even 120kmph is good. Anything beyond these numbers is felt directly on the neck and head. Comes in Orange, smoke, transparent and black colored options.

Attachment 2141010
I think the OP may have meant this when he said he doesn't prefer the one which he finds too large for his liking

I have the same one as you but in black. Yes, the visor is rock solid at speeds around 130 km/hr
Attached Thumbnails
Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-img_20201213_140941_6932.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 6th April 2021 at 00:54.
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
I have been looking for a small visor for my 390 since the time I bought it in 2019. Unfortunately, most of the visor in the market are for the previous generation 200 & 390. There is 1 visor for the 390 Duke but its too big for my liking.

So had to think of a way to make a visor as per my requirements. It so happens that the speedocover of the previous generation gixxer 150 is perfect for the 390s display.

However, you need to get the front indicator brackets from the RE classic and use it as a bracket on the indicator of the duke. Make 2 holes on the cover in line with the holes of the bracket adjusting the height of the cover with respect to the display as per your liking. Use spacers and long M6 bolts with rubber bushing to mount the cover on the bracket.

I have fixed the number plate on the cover itself just like the gixxer. I haven't found any other suitable location for the number plate as of now.

Parts used:
1. Gixxer speedo cover.
2. RE classic indicator brackets
3. Rubber bushing from Yamaha RX100 side cover
4. Number plate bracket from gixxer
5. M6 bolts
6. Spacers (its jugaad)

I hope this helps whoever is looking to do something about that bare empty look on the front end of the Duke.

I am giving an update on the visor mod done on my 390 duke, It seems like a logical thing to do. After using the visor for a couple of months It was quite evident that the set up didn't work as well as i hoped it would . For one, both the mounting points are a bit too low hence there is a lot of vibration on the top part of the visor. It tends to vibrate against the display It's annoying to see the visor vibrating like that .
And due to the excessive vibration one of the mounting bolt came loose on a ride and the rest of the ride I had to make sure that the visor didn't come off completely, an unnecessary ordeal. This was fixed by using self locking nuts. But I couldn't fix the vibration issue of the visor.
After a few months, I decided that the set up wasn't worth keeping on the bike. Since, it made the set up look not all that well put together. So I decided to remove the visor.
Visor has been since removed and the number plate is directly mounted on the bracket that I used to fix the visor
Attached Thumbnails
Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-20211024_172325.jpg  

Made a small visor / display cover for my KTM Duke-picsart_112111.59.22.jpg  

Shonith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 14:49   #11

Quote:
I am giving an update on the visor mod done on my 390 duke
You can use the MT-15's aftermarket visor. They fit the Duke 390 without any major hassle.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd December 2023 at 17:06. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Dave495 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 19:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave495 View Post
You can use the MT-15's aftermarket visor. They fit the Duke 390 without any major hassle.
Thanks Dave I'll definitely take a look.
Old 2nd December 2023, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am giving an update on the visor mod done on my 390 duke, It seems like a logical thing to do. After using the visor for a couple of months It was quite evident that the set up didn't work as well as i hoped it would . For one, both the mounting points are a bit too low hence there is a lot of vibration on the top part of the visor. It tends to vibrate against the display It's annoying to see the visor vibrating like that .
And due to the excessive vibration one of the mounting bolt came loose on a ride and the rest of the ride I had to make sure that the visor didn't come off completely, an unnecessary ordeal. This was fixed by using self locking nuts. But I couldn't fix the vibration issue of the visor.
After a few months, I decided that the set up wasn't worth keeping on the bike. Since, it made the set up look not all that well put together. So I decided to remove the visor.
Visor has been since removed and the number plate is directly mounted on the bracket that I used to fix the visor

Shonith, are you using the gen 1 390 Duke mirrors? The mirror arm looks noticeably smaller. Are they any better in visibility or worse? I prefer these shorter arm mirrors over the ones on my bike.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 13:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dave I'll definitely take a look.
Please make sure the visor is plexiglass and has some flex. These days tons of visors are acrylic made which can Crack and result in sharp edged pieces.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 01:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Please make sure the visor is plexiglass and has some flex. These days tons of visors are acrylic made which can Crack and result in sharp edged pieces.
Plexiglass and acrylic are basically the same for the most part. Polycarbonate are comparatively stronger but the only grouse being they get scratched far easier than an acrylic. Acrylic visors are simply a waste of money. They fade, they become brittle exposed to sunlight, they also incur fissure cracks and look garish over time. Polys are the best choice.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed