Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2021, 15:29   #1

Is it possible to cancel a motorcycle booking, after down payment?

This happened a week ago. I had gone to a nearby TVS showroom to test-drive and book RTR 200 4v. I liked the bike. This was my first vehicle purchase and I didn't do enough research (not about the RTR but vehicle booking in general) before making the payment (big mistake). Now, I realize that we can cancel the booking even after we pay the booking amount (5000 for 200 4v). But I had paid a Rs. 70,000 down payment to TVS directly and went from the showroom waiting for approval from finance for the balance. By evening I had received an SMS saying my loan is approved. Now, I am yet to do the e-mandate with the financier for auto-debit. The temporary registration for the vehicle is completed. Could I approach the dealer for cancellation of the vehicle now? The delivery is due on Monday.
If it's not possible to cancel I would rather accept the bike and not create an issue. Is the down payment considered as a refundable booking amount by the dealer as long as the loan is not disbursed?

Details regarding the reason for cancellation: Right after I made the payment the attitude of the salesman completely changed. I am not sure if it was because I was foolish to pay 70k before loan approval. Even the attitude of the finance person was unprofessional. After returning from the dealer I was totally disturbed looking back at how things went and 5he change of attitude especially since it is my first vehicle purchase. I had called the salesman once to know about the delivery date and he was irritated even though this was our first call and we had talked for only about 20 seconds. For the past two days, I have been regretting the purchase. I don't know if it's because of this but I also don't seem interested in TVS anymore and if given a chance wanted to buy the FZ25.

Last edited by navin : 6th April 2021 at 15:20. Reason: typos
groundhog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 16:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Is it possible to cancel a motorcycle booking, after down payment?

Hi Groundhog, do check this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l-because.html (Had a bad sales experience at a dealer? Please do NOT eliminate the car model because of that!)

If you really like the bike, just bear with the showroom and complete the formalities. If you dont like the bike, then it is a different story altogether.

1. The dealer will say that the temporary registration has been done and hence cant be cancelled now.
2. You have paid a pretty large amount. Getting it back will be hassle.
3. The bank loan part can be cancelled, unless the bank has already transferred the amounts.

Think over it first pls - if you like the bike, or if the choice of model itself was a mistake.
condor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
The temporary registration for the vehicle is completed. Could I approach the dealer for cancelation of the vehicle now? The delivery is due on Monday.
If it's not possible to cancel I would rather accept the bike and not create an issue. Is the down payment considered as refundable booking amount by the dealer as long as the loan is not disbursed?
In my personal opinion this won't be easy to do. You must have already thought about it but if not, think how poorly they will treat you once you cancel the booking and try to get back your amount.

You should ideally never have to pay anything other than the booking amount before you get to see your bike. RTR 200 sells quite well so it's not like booking a bike for you would be a risk since even if you cancel the booking someone else will already be waiting inline for it.

If you like the bike please go ahead with it and get someone experienced (a friend, colleague, relative etc.) to accompany you. Make sure that you check the bike thoroughly before picking it up. Don't be afraid to escalate any issues to the sales manager or TVS directly.

From my limited experience of involving TVS for service related issues, the service guys at least will come down on to their knees once you complain about something directly to TVS.

Edit: When I was living in a hostel I got myself the 1st gen RTR 200 and my roommate got a Fascino. My service experience was always better than his. In my personal experience in India, it's not like Yamaha or TVS are vastly different in their sales/service quality.

Last edited by JithinR : 3rd April 2021 at 17:04.
JithinR is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

It’ll not be pleasant experience to cancel this, given that the dealer has completed the ‘temporary registration’.

Like condor rightly mentions, if you like the bike, take it and enjoy the rides.

What the Sales/Finance function people at the dealership forgot is that you will be filling up a CSat form about the sales and delivery experience. You can have your say there.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Exactly and take it to some other service center for service, since you are not happy with these guys. It's a very good bike. MY RTR 160 has completed over a lakh kms and still runs great.

Forget all this, just get your bike on Monday and have a nice ownership experience.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th April 2021 at 08:47. Reason: Please proof read your post before submitting it. Thanks.
AtheK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 18:12   #6
BHPian

Been there, done it! I was to purchase Fiat Punto back in 2011 and due to showroom experience decided not to go ahead with the purchase. Got a Ford Figo instead. To this day, the regret is still there.

If you are absolutely sure that you like the bike, better don't worry too much about the showroom experience. Just get the bike and take to other service center going forward.

If in case, it's the bike itself that you don't like, then it's a different story all together. Had I been in your place, I would still take the delivery and would have put up with the bike for sometime and sold it off at the best offer it could fetch. A small price for a big learning, that is how I would consider this experience as.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

The reason you have elicited for cancellation doesn't justify cancellation.

1. Finance team has approved the loan amount within one day(I understand you have got it approved same evening.) I don't understand what is the exact issue here when you say his attitude changed and unprofessional.

2. The thread says the sales man attitude changed after paying booking amount. Can you decide the sales man has changed his attitude if he is not giving you exact delivery date? Have you asked him for delivery date while booking? Has he committed any date in writing? Has he missed the deadline? Did you ask him for revised delivery date? What exact words did he speak or respond to you in chats?

Unless you have details for all above, I personally think, these are some perceptions only and nothing is serious.

Also, my personal opinion is, since you have not done enough research on bike, you have made a wrong choice. Now you are thinking of changing the bike to yamaha. And hence your subconscious mind is searching for right reasons to cancel the booking. I wish I am wrong in forming this opinion.

But, I think we should be really fair while creating a new thread about wrong behaviour of dealers and clearly back it up with data and evidences.

No offense, if you want to change the bike, you can do if the bike is not yet registered in your name.

Just check with dealer and cancel it. May be, you may lose some small amount as penalty. But it is worth if your heart needs yamaha bike.

But be kind and fair while putting the matter on such a wonderful forum like TBHP and back it with evidences.

I am sorry, my post may seem a little Harsh. But, if you do an objective introspection, you can understand what I am trying to say.

Last edited by gkveda : 3rd April 2021 at 20:30.
gkveda is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 21:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if it's because of this but I also don't seem interested in TVS anymore and if given a chance wanted to buy the FZ25.
First of all, congratulations on the very first purchase and I understand it can be a very emotional experience from booking till delivery. While there were errors from both sides which could have been avoided, my suggestion would be to try and forget all that and prepare to welcome the new bike.

On a personal note, TVS RTR200 is a wonderful machine in the category and IMO offers better value than Yamaha FZ25. Give it a chance and you may love the ownership experience equally as you enjoyed the test ride. Good luck

PS: I'm surprised the dealership initiated the registration before receiving full payment. In my experience of buying new cars/bikes over last decade, no dealership started the RTO or insurance process before receiving complete payment
camitesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 22:21   #9
BHPian

It may be too late. I doubt if the dealer can reverse it now. This is because, a temporary registration requires a dealer to submit sales certificate and vehicle insurance. Literally, it is a sold vehicle pending registration.

As long as my ownership with TVS is concerned, I have seen they follow up on complaints quite rigorously. So your best choice would be to talk to dealership manager or owner for an immediate response. If that doesn’t help, raise a complaint with TVS customer care.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 3rd April 2021 at 22:24.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 08:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is it possible to cancel a motorcycle booking, after down payment?

Quote:
This happened a week ago. I had gone to a nearby TVS showroom to testdrive and book RTR 200 4v.

But I had paid 70000 down payment to TVS directly and went from the showroom waiting approval from finance for the balance. By evening I had received an SMS saying my loan is approved.
That went very fast. Usually for big ticket purchases it is better to wait a day before making the decision. But from what I have read it seems you really like the bike and were sold on it even before you visited the showroom. If so, do go ahead.

Quote:
The temporary registration for the vehicle is completed. Could I approach the dealer for cancelation of the vehicle now? The delivery is due on Monday.
If it's not possible to cancel I would rather accept the bike and not create an issue. Is the down payment considered as refundable booking amount by the dealer as long as the loan is not disbursed?
Not sure, but it seems like most of the paperwork is done. Usually the product is ours when we take delivery, but then again here matters seem complicated.

Quote:
Details regarding reason for cancellation : Right after I made the payment the attitude of the salesman completely changed.
Welcome to the club . This is not uncommon with certain sale guys. But this should not be a concern for ownership. Even for service, you would be dealing with a different person.

Quote:
The delivery is due on Monday.
Any update ? Today is Tuesday.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 09:15   #11
BHPian

From your post, it seems you want to cancel the deal, more due to the unwelcome feeling you got from the sales person, rather than any financial constraint or how you feel about the actual bike.

General behavior of sales persons at bike shops is abysmal. Their mentality and what they are taught is to push for sales and make commission, not to make friends and develop relationships. Trust me, what you have experienced is normal and not anything different.

Unless you have some other obligations for which you need to cancel the deal, then its a separate matter.

My suggestion - buy the bike and enjoy it. Forget about unprofessional sales people. You will probably not deal with them again and they will have also moved on from the show room.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right after I made the payment the attitude of the salesman completely changed.
That's quite unprofessional and unfortunate.

I don't have any specific knowledge about your questions but going by logic, since you've already made the payment it won't be that easy to cancel but talk to the showroom manager, see if they have any solution.
But even if that isn't possible, don't hassle yourself further, get the bike see how their workshop is and if they're on the same lines then go to another service center for maintenance and servicing.
Also give a honest feedback to TVS about your experience, you are their customer, they should be concerned.

Your decision on the RTR 200 was good, its a good bike, it will bring a smile on your face.

Happy Riding
shancz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:16   #13

Thanks to everyone but I don't agree with @gkveda. It was stupid of me to make the 70k payment, I agree. This was my first 2 wheeler purchase and I was slightly surprised by the attitude. My previous experiences have been with vehicles bought by my family (mostly maruti) and those have been wonderful. I was scared once I made payment and went back home because I started comparing this to the previous Maruti purchases. I was thinking of eveything that could go wrong. Being handed a test drive vehicle that had a disconnected meter etc.

Anyway, I did went ahead with the purchase and got the bike delivered on Monday (5th April). The sales person was really not interested in explaining the registration procedures etc (he told me I had to personally take the vehicle to the registration venue for permanent RC, which I am okay with) I was showed the bike. The bike was new (manufactured) but I don't think they cleaned it because the tank looked dusty and seats weren't that clean either. But there was no dirt and I had to return to my office so didn't bother complain. On the same day evening, while I was about to start it, it showed "low battery charge" once I turned the key. The bike also showed slight "missing (?)" in 5th gear. Like it would go smoothly and then shows a hesitation for a second but then returned to normal. The dealer was closed for next day and so went there today. They inspected and said connection was loose and that it has been rectified. I took the bike and 30 mins later the same "low battery charge" showed again when I turned the key to start the bike. The touch start hesitated at the first try but started without an issue at the 2nd try. I called the service station and asked for the manager. The person who attended told me it was normal and I should bring the bike only if I am unable to start the bike.

I have already made a thread here to see if this indeed is normal.

PS : I think the missing issue has been solved. At least, it's not showing for now. And I do love the bike otherwise.
groundhog is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:05   #14
BHPian

Congratulations.

Quote:
And I do love the bike otherwise.
That is the best thing for a rider. What happened during purchase, after purchase, etc just fades away if you love your bike.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:14   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the delivery. Knowing how possesive we all are about our new bike / car purchases, we're bound to be be worried with slightest on inconsistencies, especially technical ones. But it's pretty common that there will be some minor niggles with most new vehicle deliveries which could be solved at service centres or you have warranty to help you with. Search the forum and you'll find multiple stories of bad delivery experiences.

So I won't say ignore the low battery error but I'll also say don't stress too much about it. Cover a good ground, say 100-200 kms, follow the run-in and then post your experience if you are still seeing that error. If it still exists, TVS service centre should be able to help surely. Enjoy the ride and post some pics buddy.

Last edited by camitesh : 7th April 2021 at 16:16. Reason: Spelling error

Most Viewed