Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 11:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A beginner to the Biking World | What motorcycle and gear to choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
Jacket, scimitar or Xpod is looking good but the price seems like a lot. Haven't bought any, suggest me a good one under 4K. I think body armour plus regular Jacket will be good enough. Don't know how much does it protect, just an idea.
Congratulations on your Suzuki SF250! I hope we will get an ownership review of your bike. For a jacket, just stretch your budget a little more and get something like the RE Streetwind V2 which retails for below Rs 5,000. During the RE sales, there are discounts on their jackets and you can get them for less.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 11:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
Boots? Check out the standard issue Indian Army leather DMS or the lightweight Para DMS.

The DMS is a fantastic idea. Thank you for suggesting, I will be borrowing this idea. The monsoons are coming up shortly and this can be great.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:33   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, my suggestions would be

1. Motorcycle - Yamaha MT15. Gets the same engine as the R15, looks good and takes the too committed riding posture of R15 for something easy on your back and shoulders. Gixxer SF is also a good package. My advise is to not exceed 20 bhp with your beginner bike.

2. Helmet - Don't try saving much money here. For 5k you get good helmets. I bought an Axor (don't remember the model) for 4300, which saved me from a 120+ kmph crash. It was ISI + ECE certified.

3. Jacket - I used Aspida helios. Very decent, and it saved my spine and shoulder during the crash.

4. Gloves - you get so many stuff for 300-1000 rupees. Avoid them. Buy nice ones from atleast the brands like rynox or aspida.

5. Riding pants and boots - necessary too. I skipped buying them. I should have. Don't forget them too.

Set aside 25k for riding gear & helmet when you plan for the motorcycle budget. You get budget riding gear with acceptable quality that would save you in the unfortunate event of a crash.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th June 2021 at 12:43.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
The DMS is a fantastic idea. Thank you for suggesting, I will be borrowing this idea.
Of course!

Back in 2015 after purchasing my Duke 390, an LS2 helmet, a DSG touring jacket, riding pants, semi-gauntlet gloves and a ViaTerra Claw, suddenly, out of nowhere (I swear I have no clue how! They just vanished!) my bank account had a lot less zeroes than I started out with or even hoped to end up with.

Happily, the gears whirred and clicked in my brain after a glance at my dad's boots.

I've bought proper riding boots since but the ol' DMSs are still sitting alongside em, proud. There's hardly any signs of wear and a little lick of Cherry wax, they still look as badass as they did on Day 1.

10/10 would recommend.
Singh101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 15:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Congratulations on your Suzuki SF250! I hope we will get an ownership review of your bike. For a jacket, just stretch your budget a little more and get something like the RE Streetwind V2 which retails for below Rs 5,000. During the RE sales, there are discounts on their jackets and you can get them for less.
Thanks for the info! Will check that out. I will surely write an ownership review soon, but I don't know how to start a new thread . I'm a newbie here. And also I have covered only 780 KMs till now, once when I cross 1500 KMs I will write one.
Old 7th June 2021, 15:07   #21
BHPian

Hi,

All of us have climbed up from Steelbirds/Indian made AGVs to the Sharks and Arais of the world.

I would recommend you to up the budget and get a helmet which fits you well. Yes, fitting is more imporant than brand. Which means you got to go to a shop and then pick the helmet. Once you have got your size sorted for a brand, you can next time purchase it online.

Secondly, helmets last for at least 5 years, unless you crash. In which case you might need to replace them. So, whatever your budget, divide it by 5 and that is what you're spending every year. A helmet even that is costing 20k will work out to be cheaper. Don't change your phone for the next few years, or take the helmet on EMI. Whatever works for you, but get a good helmet.

For jackets, Rynox, RE and other Indian brands are available. Go for whatever is within your budget, the higher the grade of armour the better. Go for a mesh jacket, summers become unbearable otherwise.

For gloves, go for whatever is within your budget right now, prioritising helmet and jacket. Go for Indian brands. They offer good stuff at decent prices. Maybe a few years down the line enjoy the quality of the European ones.

Jeans. Levi's launched on in collab with RE, they were on discount on myntra and even on RE site. Check them. Remember you will have to buy your own knee guards. So, overall they aren't cheap. Or that protective. But you can wear them through the day, compared to proper riding pants. If nothing works, get a good quality knee guards. Especially for long rides. And wear a thick cloth jeans, rather than the lycra ones or cotton pants.

Boots. For now, go for anything that has solid ankle protection. In the sense that they won't let your ankle or leg twist in case of a fall. If nothing else, wear proper leather boots. Tall ones.

Again, remember, all of this stuff is like insurance, mostly useless, but you want it to work when you really need it.

keep upgrading as you go along. For now, get the best helmet you can get, a decent jacket and so on and so forth. And I will repeat again, get the helmet that fits snugly, rather than the one that looks cool, or has a better brand name.

Much luck.
forty6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 21:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubodhRage View Post
Also, I prefer buying it offline, but being new to Delhi, I’m not aware of good bike accessory stores in Delhi apart from High Note Performance, Riderz Planet and a couple of other local shops near my place. I’d love if someone can let me know of offline place to buy gear in Delhi. I was hoping that if I get enough contacts of offline stores, I'll put them up in my Beginner's Guide post that I'll draft after purchasing and using the products.
Considering your budget, this should be your first stop - Chopra automobiles, Karol Bagh. They are the authorized sellers for majority of good brands sold in India. This is also one of the oldest shop in Delhi selling high quality bike gear. So expect a Chandni Chowk like experience.

Riderz Planet is good. I still remember my gloves buying experience few years back. These guys were premium and very warm at the same time. One of the owners spent an inordinate amount of time with me talking about riding gear and sharing about his trips. One of the best buying experience ever. I had gone in with a budget of Rs 1000 but ultimately bought this at Rs 3300. Glad that I did not skimp. I wouldn't suggest you do as well.

Last edited by warrioraks : 7th June 2021 at 21:02.
Old 8th June 2021, 00:16   #23

If you are on budget for boots then "Orazo" is the cheapest in the market. But my personal opinion it is only suitable for breakfast rides. It is available online so please have a look.
sagar.narasimha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 03:06   #24

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on your decision to pay attention towards riding gear. I'll talk about the motorcycle first.

Two bikes in my opinion are the best you can get under 2 lacs. (Different opinions can exist and I respect that. This is mine.)
Yamaha Fz 250 and the Suzuki Gixxer 250. Brilliant bikes both of these! Enough acceleration to keep you entertained and the top speed is enough to settle in a comfortable cruise on the highway without stressing the engine! I have ridden the Yamaha extensively and it's a gem of a machine.
Avoid 150 cc machines as you will outgrow them soon enough no matter how exciting they might seem now. If you will upgrade soon enough then something like a R15 could keep you happy, otherwise go for 200cc and above. And the final tip I will give you with the purchase of your bike is that buy the one that makes you giddy. When you ride it you feel a connection and it feels right. I know it sounds corny but no VFM or power to weight ratio aspect will give you the same satisfaction when you get the bike your heart is set on.

Coming to riding gear, make your decisions smartly and it will benefit you in the long run. With riding gear one thing you should focus on at this budget is the ability to upgrade as you go. It's easier on the pocket and smart as well. Everyone doesn't have the ability to spend outright and that is understandable.
As quite a few members have pointed out, you must increase your helmet budget, that is non negotiable. Understand that a 1 lac helmet will not provide you twice the safety over a 50k helmet but it will be better in other ways like comfort and weight and stability. Apply a similar logic at your price point as well. With riding gear there's really no ceiling when it comes to price so you'll have to do a cost to benefit analysis for yourself. If I remember correctly you will find an ECE certificied helmet by Axor for around 3.5k. I use a SMK Stellar Graffiti helmet I bought for around 4k. It is a solid helmet. ECE and DOT certified it is a stable helmet with good quality. High speed stability is good which is important on highways when you face high wind blast. Paddings are of good quality as well and the visor comes with installed pinlock visor which is a boon trust me. You'll know it when you need it. You can look into Axor, Axxis and SMK for around 4k. I prefer SMK because it is distributed by Studds which means cheaper and readily available spares and paddings. Your padding will loosen with consistent usage and the ability to easily replace the padding will allow you to keep the helmet longer if you don't put it through unecessary absue like drops from heights. Purchase the helmet from a store and try it out for a few minutes. It should feel extremely snug. It will be uncomfortable the first 100 kilometres approximately but it well fit you like second skin after a while. I had jaw ache the first time I wore my helmet but once the padding adapted to my face, it feels absolutely natural. Now I feel naked if I'm riding without my helmet and I just don't like that. That's how big a difference a good snug helmet will make.

I see you have mentioned the Fortnine video and I agree with the thought process in that video. You are likely to have smaller spills and falls in which case your arms and feet are more susceptible to damage. Case in point my friend was riding his bike in sandals (absolutely foolish) when an auto rickshaw coming towards him on a service road crashed into him. The mudguard of the rickshaw collided straight with his feet and sliced the skin and bone between his toes. He was put on bed rest for 6 months and poor guy missed his convocation.

The next peice of riding gear I want to focus on are gloves. Go full gauntlet, it will be uncomfortable at first, but again you won't be able to ride without them after a while. You will get general protection in gloves above 2k but i want you to focus on the palms. Ensure that the glove has a plastic slider at the palm instead of just a leather patch so your palms can slide in case of a fall and provide better protection to your palms and wrists. It is a natural tendency of the human body to protect itself during a fall using the hands and the palms face the brunt first. We want to avoid a scaphoid injury which is very painful and likely to occur due to our instict to break the fall with our hands. Another tip I'd like to give you is buy a waterproof glove so that you can use it in the rains as well and winters as well and you don't skip on wearing gloves in the rain when you are more likely to take minor falls and slips. Check out the range from Rynox in case of non waterproof gloves and a waterproof glove I will wholeheartedly recommend is the Shima Inverno. Shima is a quality brand but it is expensive and might not fall into your budget in which case make the cost of benefit analysis and make your decision. One glove for all seasons or a cheaper glove for fewer seasons. I'll recommend any Rynox glove wholeheartedly! I request you to wear your helmet and gloves all the time.

Next up we have riding boots. Here I want you to consider everyday riding boots by Royal Enfield that offer good heel toe protection, look good for regular wear and are comparatively comfortable enough to wear everyday. You want to ensure good heel and toe protection so your feet doesn't get crushed or twisted and you don't face an unfortunate situation like my friend. I'm not recommending proper riding boots simply out of lack of practicality. Let's be honest you are not going to wear dedicated riding boots everyday and walk around in them when you're off the bike. This will lead you to skip them altogether on everyday commutes and wear them for dedicated rides. The goal here is maximum possible protection everyday with practicality. You can later on buy proper long riding boots for dedicated rides and trips. I am not sure about the quality and longevity of the Enfield boots unfortunately so you'll have to do a bit of research there. But their boots do look very good and offer good protection on paper. Check out the website you'll find a barrage of options.

The last is riding jacket and pants. I would suggest and assume you will buy these after the other gears. This again comes out of practicality. I'm pretty sure you won't be wearing riding jacket and pants everyday or on commutes. If you can do that then that's brilliant but with most people that's not the case so we'll proceed with that in mind. Buy Rynox, any Rynox, period. Whichever Rynox gear firts in your budget, purchase it. They have great quality, durability, comfort and ergonomic design. Most importantly almost all of them allow you upgrade parts of the jacket like armours so you can increase your protection incrementally. Rynox gear is also CE certified and the abrasion resistance is good as well. Make sure jacket has good ventilation for the summer and you can always put a raincoat on top for rains so no need to worry about it too much. Most jackets will come with inner rain liners so you'll be sorted there.

This is what I can offer you after endless research and ogling at riding gear for hours. I am a student as well and slowly improving my riding gear step by step so I understand the budget you are working with! Remember, the goal here is to get gear that you can use everyday and on dedicated rides. Upgrade that gear and eventually create sets of riding gears for different seasons and riding modes, comutes to sunday rides to long tours. That's my goal anyways

Ride long, Ride Safe!
Attached Thumbnails
A beginner to the Biking World | What motorcycle and gear to choose?-img20210110wa00121.jpg  

irajput is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:55   #25

Re: A beginner to the Biking World | What motorcycle and gear to choose?

Increase your budget for the helmet. You can get Axor (ECE and DOT rated) for around 3.5k and SMK (ECE rated) for almost 4k.

I'd suggest you go for the Rynox Air GT3 jacket. You get a great jacket with CE level 2 protection for a good price.

For the boots, take a look at the Raida Tourer Boots. You'll get them from Raida's website for 4k. I just got them last week and took them out for a spin and they are very comfortable. They also provide great protection for your ankle, toes, heel and shin.
Aryansood295 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
Decide quick and buy one asap. Coming to the safety gear bought Axor Venomous for 4.3K. Good one, has ECE and DOT certification. Checkout Axor Rage, it ranges between 3.2 - 3.4K has ECE and DOT certification too! The paint schemes are crazy af.
I've bought RE basic gloves for 1200 bucks! I went for a 450 KM ride, wearing them, comfort not the best but they offer protection for sure. VFM! Buy WOODLAND shoes, they will be enough you'll don't need any other boots. Jacket, scimitar or Xpod is looking good but the price seems like a lot. Haven't bought any, suggest me a good one under 4K. I think body armour plus regular Jacket will be good enough. Don't know how much does it protect, just an idea.
Buy a bike with Dual Channel ABS, Gloves with gliders, Jacket with reflectors and Helmet with ECE and DOT certifications. My instagram handle: jap.rider.7225, incase you need some info regarding the bike or gear, ping me.
All the best for your purchase, ride safe.
Hey @theautoguy46,
I see you're a Rossi fan too! Cheers!

Thanks for the information. Yes, I was in the same boat as you, and while you took the road more travelled (buying a new bike and enjoying the lovely feeling it comes with!), I've fixated on taking the road less travelled(purchasing an old one, and loving it like a dear child of mine!).
Coming to the checklist--> yes, I've the exact same!
The only reason why I'm going the used bike-route is to soften the depriciation hit of the bike! A used one has already depriciated by the time it comes to the market and you can get it for a less amount if you haggle well!
Couldn't find your Insta. I'll try to ping you on T_BHP itself once my posts quota is fulfilled and I'm allowed to message people!

Regarding the jacket purchase, I'll agree with @ neil.jericho. A RE Streetwind V2 is a brilliant piece of equipment, especially at this time when it's discounted during the clearance sale!

Congratulations on your purchase! I see you got a good deal. I had gone to Suzuki as well and Oh! God, did I come out smiling ear-to-ear after riding the SF250! It's a brilliant piece of machine! Looking forward to staying in touch with you as there are very few owners of SF250 on Team-BHP! Looking forward to your review as well! I'm surprised that it isn't selling that well! Only 42 units sold in the last month ? That's surprisingly low!
A few questions about the bike?
What mileage are you getting with the bike during the run-in period! What engine oil are you planning to use in future ? Given that your bike is within the Suzuki recall peiod(talking about the news where around 200 Gixxer 250 units were recalled over the issue of high vibrations above 5000rpm), did you face any similar issue ? Asking this because one of my friend owns a Suzuki Gixxer 250 from that period, and he's now facing vibration issues. So, how do you plan to get it resolved(if you have any issues that is!)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
My two cents

1. My best bet would be a MT15..similar engine and character.
2. Look for SHARP or SNELL rated helmets. I believe a few are available at lower budgets (relatively).
Hey @roadrunner_nv,
Thanks for the advice!
I did test-ride, the MT15, and while it's a gem of an engine, I'd say it's definitely meant to stay in a faired bike. That's a high-revving motor, capable of high-speeds, and coupled with that slick shifter, it makes for a great track-bike. The only place where it could be utilized well outside the track is an open highway, and frankly the wind-blast you get on the naked post 100kmph is preposterous !

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
@Subodhrage,

You may also keep an eye out on the various facebook forums and marketplace where companies often sell excess inventory + riders who are looking to upgrade.
Gixxer is definitely a work horse, but the MT is a bit different from the norm.
Thanks for your response @ no_fear!
Yup looked at the Facebook Marketplace for some good 2nd hand boots, but the price some people quote is preposterous! Still, will look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
If I were you and had as healthy a budget as yours for my first ride (<2L INR is hardly trifling), I'd most definitely go for as big a displacement as I could, possibly a Suzuki Gixxer 250.
Since you're not a total newbie and have two-wheeler experience of four years, as long as you have a level head about you, the 250 Gixxer should be just right for you as a learning tool that won't bite you in the rump if you look at it wrong.
Everything else you picked out looks more than adequate for a budding motorcyclist's starter kit.
Boots? Check out the standard issue Indian Army leather DMS or the lightweight Para DMS.
Happy hunting! Stay safe!
Hi @Singh101!
Thanks for your response!
Surprisingly, we think quite alike!
My plan is to look for a good high-capacity bike in the 2nd hand market, and in case I don't find it, I had my eyes set on the Gixxer 250 SF! It's brilliant piece of machinery! I'm really surprised it isn't selling well!
Regarding the helmet, I'm planning to buy an Axor one and for the boots, I've actually gone for an Army leater DMS boots! They're heavy so people with lean build might find it difficult to use, but for me, oh!, they are so perfect for riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Considering your budget, this should be your first stop - Chopra automobiles, Karol Bagh.
Riderz Planet is good.
Thanks! I'll go to them soon @warrioraks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryansood295 View Post
Increase your budget for the helmet. You can get Axor (ECE and DOT rated) for around 3.5k and SMK (ECE rated) for almost 4k.
Thanks for the info @Aryansood295!
I plan on buying Axor! For gloves and jackets, I'm looking at Raida, RE, Rynox right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6 View Post
Hi,

All of us have climbed up from Steelbirds/Indian made AGVs to the Sharks and Arais of the world.

I would recommend you to up the budget and get a helmet which fits you well. Yes, fitting is more imporant than brand. Which means you got to go to a shop and then pick the helmet. Once you have got your size sorted for a brand, you can next time purchase it online. For gloves, go for whatever is within your budget right now, prioritising helmet and jacket. Go for Indian brands. They offer good stuff at decent prices. Maybe a few years down the line enjoy the quality of the European ones.
Much luck.
Thanks for your info @ forty6!
True! I was planning to buy helmets online, but as you said, fit is important, and I'd surely visit the store! Who knows, I might be able to haggle them a bit and get it for cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irajput View Post
First of all, I would like to congratulate you on your decision to pay attention towards riding gear. I'll talk about the motorcycle first.
Ride long, Ride Safe!
Hey @irajput, thanks for your response! This was very insightful!
SubodhRage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreakcbe View Post
My riding gears & experience:

1. My riding Jacket - RE Stormrider. 9950/- (Check for latest price). Light weight. Level-2 safety, that comes with shoulder protection, elbow protection, forearm protection, also with spine cushion. I have ridden it for all my long distances, i did not feel much heat or discomfort while riding. Of course, when you park the vehicle, its better to take off the jacket as soon as possible, but its not mandatory.

2. My Wife riding jacket - BBG Voyager Neon. 7500/- (Check for latest price). On the heavier side. Protection is very good, level-2. Comes will all protection as above. In addition, it also comes with detachable Thermal inner liner. Though not ridden on it, i have to say, its also comfortable to my wife but felt on the heavier side.

3. My Riding Glove - RE Trailblazer. 2000/- (Check for latest price). Nice fit. Comfortable to ride, grip is food and also i dont feel the heat or pain on fingers after long ride.

4. Tank Bag - Rynox Optimus M Tankbag. 3500/- (Check for latest price). Very sturdy. High quality. Lots of options to carry. Lot of space for a tank bag. Very good magnet to hold on to.

5. Puncture repair kit. Brought from amazon - starts from ~450/- you get lots of options, i went it for something which had 10 stirps of rubber, tools and cleaning materials.

Things yet to buy:

1. Riding Pants. Planning for a Rynox/RE with level-2 protection
2. Riding boots - Planning for a RE TOURING BOOTS MID RISE

Hope this helps.

Good quality information there!
Do I have to discard my elbow and knee guard if I get the Jacket?

The question is if I already get a biking jacket, are there still any further uses of the elbow guard and knee guard (that I already own)?
1985Darkkid85 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
No need to discard, you can share it with fellow riders (or sell them) or share it with pillion for their safety
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:25   #29
BHPian

People called me "The Terminator, with Beard" Putting on all the gears.

A beginner to the Biking World | What motorcycle and gear to choose?-terminator_with_beard.jpeg

Finished my Collection with a Orazo Riding Boot (5K) + Rynox Stealth Evo3 Riding pant.

When it comes to riding pants, putting it on before buying is mandatory. When i wore it on the store, the storekeeper thought its too big. But when i buckled up all the places, it was fitting exactly.

Just rode 700Km (Cbe-Blr-Cbe) with this gear on. I did not feel any discomfort, except for the seats, but it also has something to do with my riding posture. I will try to correct it.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Good quality information there!

The question is if I already get a biking jacket, are there still any further uses of the elbow guard and knee guard (that I already own)?
My personal experience, you get all the safety protection within your gears (Jacket, Pants, Boots, Gloves, Helmet). And those protection are detachable too, it is only cases where the existing protected does not fit properly or feeling uncomfortable, you can go for the right size and that too you can put it on inside the gears. So, i dont suggest to put on additional protection external to the riding gears, which i feel is more of hindrance.

To answer your question, yes, you can use those elbow guard and knee guard for small rides. For long rides, definitely proper gear is a must.

Hope this helps
silverstreakcbe is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks