Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2021, 19:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: 650cc single-cylinder engine to power BSA bikes

Sorry but looking at how Classic Legends and Mahindra managed and marketed Jawa, I have zero faith in them. It could've been the biggest threat to Royal Enfield. 3 years since launch and they cannot even get 10% of Royal Enfield's numbers. People waited months for deliveries when it was launched and now dealers have unsold stock. There was immense hype surrounding it when it was launched. It all died because of such poor marketing. Sales numbers were so low, they were hesitating to even declare them as sales were barely a fraction of their expectations.
udaikalra01 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 19:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
A 650 single in this day and age sounds downright awful. I’d say they’ve well and truly buried a really legendary brand with this.
I think this is harsh. It is making roughly the same power figures as RE twin which are currently so hot and BSA has been making similar capacity bikes for decades now - so I will say this engine size is rather perfect and keeping in line with the heritage.
It clearly won't have benefits of a twin engine but who is to say this won't perform well unless we actually see real world performance tests? Let's wait and watch IMHO.
amol4184 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 23:29   #33

I simply don't understand why people are expecting the BSA Gold Star - a legendary name especially in the UK, in fact more popular popular than the Bullet in its hey day, would have a 650 twin. The gold star's defining character was that it was a 650 single, as opposed to the twins that other BSA models offered. I love that they have honoured the original with the 650 and i just hope it won't be vibey, I mean with modern tech and engineering large singles can be made properly smooth and fun (especially because of that torque a thumper produces, case in point - the KTM 690).

I just hope Classic Legends gets the execution and marketing right, they should start by hiring actually competent and experienced people to fill their ranks. If done right I'd definitely own this over the interceptor (hell I'm dreaming about it right now).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th December 2021 at 09:17. Reason: typo edited
koyomi_araragi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 16:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Making of the BSA Gold Star

Gold Star TVC

Old 5th December 2021, 19:12   #35
BHPian

BSA Goldstar colours by TMF.

amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 20:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Having a mixed feeling with the Technical Spec. The 5 speed gearbox is totally unacceptable!! The P2WR being 227 Bhp per tonne compared to Interceptor's 235 Bhp per tonne. Close enough!! In real world, not sure if owners can enjoy the 29 Kmpl.

Rumour: 650cc single-cylinder engine to power BSA bikes-bsa.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2021 at 05:13. Reason: As requested
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 08:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyomi_araragi View Post
I simply don't understand why people are expecting the BSA Gold Star - a legendary name especially in the UK, in fact mroe popular than the Bullet in its hey day, would have a 650 twin. The gold star's defining character was that it was a 650 single, as opposed to the twins that other BSA models offered. I love that they have honoured the original with the 650 and i just hope it won't be vibey, I mean with modern tech and engineering large singles can be made properly smooth and fun (especially because of that torque a thumper produces, case in point - the KTM 690).
Exactly!! I was amused with all the expert comments about how the goldie should have been a twin. A big classic single thumper was the essence of the dbd 34 and I think they’ve done well by sticking to that format.
howler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 09:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Im a little surprised that the showcasing of the BSA Gold Star hasnt elicited a bigger reaction from the motorcycling community in India. On international forums, motorcyclists seem to be quite keen on the elegant looking bike. The styling is authentic, the colours are tasteful and a 650 single will be different. Now for the wait and watch to figure out how these bikes will be made, whether they will come to the Indian market and how they will be priced.

Mahindra finally seems to be learning from its fumbles with the Jawa brand and for the motorcycling community, that is a big win.

There is an interesting tidbit in this video regarding the existence of a much more powerful Gold Star prototype in India. Now that could be something worth drooling over.

neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 09:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Mahindra finally seems to be learning from its fumbles with the Jawa brand and for the motorcycling community, that is a big win
I think Mahindra is craving for a piece of pie from 600cc segment seeing the sales of RE twins
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

After Classic Legends repeatedly dropped the ball with the Jawa brand and more or less botched the Yezdi triplets, I had little faith in their ability to capture any magic with the BSA Gold Star. I was pleasantly surprised to find an early review of the Gold Star from the UK. Just look at the fit and finish of the modern Gold Stars! Well done, Classic Legends.

I find it hard to believe that this is the same Classic Legends that gave us the shoddily built and uninspiring Yezdi triplets. Why couldn't they have put the same effort in manufacturing the Jawas and Yezdi motorcycles? Its like all the best engineers and designers from Classic Legends were forced to work on the BSA Gold Star project, while everyone else who didn't make the cut, was demoted to work on the Yezdis

Prices of the Gold Star range from GBP 6,500 to 7,000. For reference, the price of the Interceptor 650 ranges from GBP 6,039 to 6,539. So the BSA is around 8% higher.

For the UK market, they are importing an initial batch of 50 units, followed by sets of 200 to 250 motorcycles every month.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 15th July 2022 at 12:11. Reason: As requested
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 06:50   #41
BHPian

I've been following this bike keenly

Pre-Launch interviews with some UK publications-

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...bsa-gold-star/

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...est-of-british

First ride reviews -

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/your-rid...gold-star-650/

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...old-star/2022/

Summary -

Decent performance and good torque spread. Surprisingly smooth for a big single!

This is one bike that needs to be ridden!
AlQuazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 16:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

After the Jawa and Yezdi....... Mahindra's throws the BSA at RE.

Third time lucky I guess.

shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 06:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
After the Jawa and Yezdi....... Mahindra's throws the BSA at RE.
Why would someone buy a single cylinder 650 for 5 lakh plus when you can get a same capacity twin cylinder at around a lakh less?

Plus, the sales and service of Classic Legends owned brands : lesser spoken the better

Yes, I agree, brand value and retro charm does matter. But then it won't be something practically for the masses which isn't the case with the RE twins.

Hence, not a fair comparison.
Old 2nd September 2023, 11:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Why would someone buy a single cylinder 650 for 5 lakh plus when you can get a same capacity twin cylinder at around a lakh less?
The charm and feel of a big single cylinder is something else - cannot be captured by spec sheet

However I agree with the rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks