Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 development begins

Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 well into development. Recent developments suggest that the Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 is getting closer to a reveal.

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 development begins-2021royalenfieldhimalayangraniteblack2.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 is said to be under development not in India, but at the brand’s UK technology centre.

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:35   #2
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 is said to be under development not in India, but at the brand’s UK technology centre.
Source
The Article seems very much speculative, more like clickbait and doesn't offer many details.
The current-gen Hiamalayan's chassis offers only 180KG of max laden weight. And was already infamous for snapping in half. No way it can handle the additional weight of a 650cc engine. The existing twin 650 engine is too wide an engines for the existing chassis.

From what we know IN our Himalayan owner groups is that RE is planning something to improve the performance of the existing mill.

So a new soft-roader(scrambler) looks more likely than a Himalayan with an existing engine
ambarkhan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 21:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 development begins

At the moment, Royal Enfield's sole offering in the adventure bike segment is the Himalayan 411cc motorcycle. However, if rumours are to be believed, a twin-cylinder 650cc version of this bike could be added to the company's product portfolio.

Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 development begins-cvul4osnf7my7yge7wc7fcfbzq.jpg

Of course, if Royal Enfield was developing a new bike, it wouldn't go unnoticed. However, we might not get to see test mules of the Himalayan 650 anytime soon as the bike is said to be under development at Royal Enfield's technical centre in the UK.

After the Interceptor INT 650 and Continental GT 650, the Himalayan 650 will be the third model based on the new 650cc platform. Besides getting a healthy dose of performance, the bike is expected to be transformed into a more capable adventure tourer.

In its current avatar, the Himalayan comes with a 411cc, single-cylinder engine that produces 24.3 BHP and 32 Nm. The unit is mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

Source: Visor Down
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 23:51   #4
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Royal Enfield Himalayan 650 development begins

Only problem with a 650 Himalayan is that it'll probably weigh around 250,000 tonnes and come with spoked wheels and tubed tyres, so that if and when you do have a puncture, you might have to call a crane.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Only problem with a 650 Himalayan is that it'll probably weigh around 250,000 tonnes .

Current weight itself is 199kgs.
I really hope they are able to keep the weight around the interceptors weight. It will become more desirable around 200 ~ 230kgs. I am sure they will not be able to reduce lower than that.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 09:06   #6
BHPian

Current 400 cc engine itself is really good for the purpose it serves. RE should atleast provide an option / accessory to support tubeless tyre. I hope RE understands safety is more important for a tourer.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 13:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post

Current weight itself is 199kgs.
I really hope they are able to keep the weight around the interceptors weight. It will become more desirable around 200 ~ 230kgs. I am sure they will not be able to reduce lower than that.
On the other hand; this weight helps to keep the bike planted on highways. I have had a good experience of the passing winds of the heavy vehicles shaking you well enough to lose your balance.
RE Himalayan 650 has to happen as it will be the most economical adventure tourer in the league helping many to achieve their purpose with a cheaper (in terms of money) yet powerful enough to maintain good speed and having sufficient torque.
But RE must ensure to keep the weight within limit and double check the chassis design.
I am sure they must have checked their lessons learnt sheet of current Himalayan in front of them to minimize/remove all weak links.

Cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 13:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Current 400 cc engine itself is really good for the purpose it serves. RE should atleast provide an option / accessory to support tubeless tyre. I hope RE understands safety is more important for a tourer.
Agree , All they have to do for 2022 Model is to reduce the weight and add little more power to the existing Mill.
Weight to power ratio will improve drastically.
Old 5th July 2021, 19:38   #9
BHPian

This topic has been debated a few times.

The Himalayan chassis AFAIK as it stands cannot accommodate the 650cc engine.

It is not on the lighter side.

This is an unlikely development.

If launched it is going to be interesting though!
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 22:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Would be interesting to see if RE will add off-road worthy bits to the interceptor instead of modifying the Himalayan's chassis. This will keep the weight around the 200kg mark.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 22:31   #11
BHPian

RE should focus on a 650 adventure tourer, which is road-biased with the ability to go mild offroad. They can realistically market it as a bike best for touring of all kinds, roads or no roads, something which they can easily sell, due to their bikes having the legacy of being "touring bikes". Their weight prevents it from being good offroad but it won't be a problem if they make it a tourer capable of bad roads, with more focus on highways. If priced right, this could be an instant seller for people wanting to go on long rides.

Even otherwise, a lighter and slightly more powerful Himalayan will also be enough for these needs.
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:27   #12
BHPian

Himalayan is already a very heavy motorcycle & 650 will make is even heavier. They will no be able to advertise the vehicle with female & short physically weak riders (like me) will struggle if the weight goes further up, especially in our city traffic.
The ideal fit is to retain the same powertrain with 420 or 450 cc displacement with little more longer stroke, hopefully a 6 speed transmission and eventually increase the power to 28 or 30 horses, grip the rear brakes little more and we'll be there.
https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product/...
This guy is selling after market camshaft for Himalayan which increases power to 20% and has posted dyno results (i have no personal relation with this guy nor tried it myself, found this while grazing through sites).
This kind of simple mod will be a low fruit for RE if they decide to increase power with less cost.
Again all in the hands of the manufacturer to decide and implement.
Living2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 14:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the Himalayan can't use the 650cc twin from the interceptor.

Weight and chassis issues aside, the width of the cylinders themselves will be the first issue. They're already quite wide and a bit irritating on the interceptor. Fitting them on the Himalayan isn't workable due to the different riding style and conditions the Himalayan which warrant a lot of rider movement and the Himalayan needs to be slimmer in profile too.
So IMHO, a straight fit is out of question.

They will need to redevelop the Himalayan as a bigger Adv, they can retain the design traits but they'll need :
- a stiffer and lighter chassis/frame
- a bigger and new engine suited to the role, like they already do with the LS410
- bigger tank to compensate for the drop in FE due to the newer engine
- lighter materials to compensate for the additional equipment and capacity to keep the weight in check (I doubt this but hope so)

Essentially a new Adv which might be called the Himalayan.
But this is seems beyond 2023 given the current situation and IIRC from Sid Lal's last interview a few months ago, they'll either start/have just started. So not happening anytime soon.

What they can however do, like pointed in earlier posts, is to tweak the existing engine and reduce some weight and launch an "updated" Himalayan as a stopgap measure probably with new colors/accessories.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 22:45   #14
BHPian

Himalayan, apart from its engine and weight, is IMHO, an excellent motorcycle. If RE ropes in Harris Performance to design the chassis, I feel we have a winner here. The ADV space is going to see competition the likes of which have never before been seen. Hope Sid Lal delivers another marvel like the 650cc twins.
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks