Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 09:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj files trademark application for 'Caliber' name

My neighbor had the caliber when I was a kid. It was a hit amongst young men who had just started working and were ready to look beyond the usual splendors .

The first generation Caliber was probably one of the first bikes to have 'fatter' tanks and that 'aeroplane inspired' fuel lid that Bajaj advertised. All the bike needed was more power to become legendary which the Pulsar went on to become. I think the Caliber set a template for Bajaj on how to make and sell good bikes, be it advertising, looks, features and even build quality, they pretty much got it right with the Caliber.

I guess the last iteration of Caliber (115, hoodibaba version) was the only bike to have a color changing rpm needle (and also of speedometer if I am not mistaken). It was sweet. Hope they bring that feature back.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 08:58   #17

I had the first version of the Caliber. I still can distinctly remember that the suspension was simply awesome. It used to absorb anything thrown at it.

The next best feature was the Headlight. Even trucks used to dim their HL beams to make sure that it was not another heavy vehicle coming towards them with only one working headlight.

The engine performance was also wonderful. I used to do work related 200-300km round trips every day and there was simply no fatigue.

This was the best bike I ever owned.
vmathews is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:25   #18

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Guys a quick question. What if Bajaj is reviving the Caliber name for an electric motorcycle?

Caliber following in the footsteps of Chetak, ie Bring an all new technology package to the market under the umbrella of a tried and tested brand.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:45   #19
BHPian

Bringing back old monikers has kind of been the trend lately. A lot of new products are wearing erstwhile badges, especially in the foreign markets - Bronco, Wagoneer, Hummer, etc. Even Maruti revived Baleno and Vitara. So, it's safe to say that this trick has worked like a charm all around. Unless Bajaj messes it up big, the Caliber nameplate should receive a good hype!
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 12:09   #20

Refreshed old memories. Got it as my first and last moyorcycle in 1998 which was also a first in my city. Used to get a lot of attention. Front suspension was too good. Exhaust noise was also distinct.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:27   #21
BHPian

Man what a shocker!. Does that mean i am driving a Vintage motorcycle?. This is so since caliber is my daily runner. Except for one bore kit replacement it has served me well for over 16 years now. Yeah the bike kinda lugs weight now but for small errands, it serves well.

I don't have plans of changing it.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 13:26   #22

The initial Caliber (round headlamp) was 100cc right. The Caliber 115 (fairing) was the Hoodibaba.
Old 20th July 2021, 14:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkuplung View Post
The initial Caliber (round headlamp) was 100cc right. The Caliber 115 (fairing) was the Hoodibaba.
IIRC my RC book mentioned 111.6 cc for the original Kawasaki-Bajaj Caliber
Old 20th July 2021, 15:31   #24
BHPian

Wow! it brings back old memories. I had bought red Caliber, Hoodibaaba version, in 2004. It was excellent bike, had distinct identity in the sea of Splendours.
And how can I forget excellent advertisements! Original Caliber came with the tag line 'the unshakable', featuring Vidya Balan. Hoodibaaba version looked stylish, had great engine, pickup and comfort. It was later trolled by Bullet which went like 'Jab bullet chale to sab ruke'
Old 20th July 2021, 15:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkuplung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
IIRC my RC book mentioned 111.6 cc for the original Kawasaki-Bajaj Caliber
The first-gen Caliber, then Caliber Croma and lastly, the 115 Hoodibaba, all of them had the same 111.6cc engine.

1st and 2nd gen had the same engine while the block was heavily reworked for the 3rd gen which also resulted in increase in power.

Right after its launch in 1998, we got a 1st gen Caliber in red color. Kept it for 6 years. Then replaced it with a 3rd gen Caliber in blue color!
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 16:51   #26
BHPian

During B.tech, my dad got me Caliber Croma(Bergundy Color) in 2002. I had good time with humble reliable machine. It took me all the corners of South Karnataka be it Kudremukh or Agumbe.If I am not mistaken Caliber was premium over Splendor. As usual Bajaj is good at killing the product by launching several models with some additional paint scheme and giving new name like CT100, Platina, Discover etc. Hero did fabulous job in retaining Splendor brand and keep improvising it.

Bajaj should revive Caliber-1st gen (round headlight) as it had retro look but with 150cc engine.
Old 20th July 2021, 17:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

I do remember that the Hoodibaba ad campaign of Caliber was really good. But I did not know if the bike itself was good.

Now I read here from the owners that it was indeed a good bike. If it is so, I am curious to know why it was not as successful in the market as any good quality, well advertised bike should have been.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 20th July 2021 at 17:28.
Old 20th July 2021, 18:46   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Now I read here from the owners that it was indeed a good bike. If it is so, I am curious to know why it was not as successful in the market as any good quality, well advertised bike should have been.
As far as I remember, Hoodibaba sold in good numbers and had some waiting period too. Just like the first gen, it was a successful model.

It had the usual Bajaj gremlins - parts quality issue and rusting of exhaust pipe.

But then the Pulsar twins and Discover came to steal the thunder. And Bajaj had latched onto the idea of discontinuing models abruptly (remember Wind 125??)
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 20:03   #29
BHPian

It is Bajaj strategy to launch or upgrade models like a Garment Factory. I believe, there must be more than 10 versions of Discover, Pulsar, Platina, CT100 and Boxer. They never retained any one of these except Pulsar. They confused buyer several Pulsars- Baby Pulsar(135 cc), 150,180, 200, 200 NS, 220 etc? Do we really need these many option to choose from? Hero is still riding on Splendor but Bajaj gave away Caliber and Kawasaki 4S.
Old 20th July 2021, 22:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hoodibaba is back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
The "hoodibaba" ad for this bike used to be too good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
That Hoodibaba ad was legend. Were still talking about it to this day

I think this is the one with the 'Hoodibaba' song. Still recall back in school everyone chanting this whenever someone did something daring / mischievous. Good old days Bajaj really had some cool ads with nice jingles. The platina campaign had the 'jhalak dikhlaja' song while the pulsar ads (2007-2009) featured some insane stunt performances.

Nice of Bajaj to bank on this old nameplate 'Caliber', but I guess the term Hoodibaba is more famous than that !

Last edited by TrackDay : 20th July 2021 at 22:02.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks