Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2022, 12:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Stolen & found after 25 years - Dad's 1971 Bullet!

What a wonderful real life story of a bond one shares with their vehicles which is also inherited by the next generation.

I am glad that you are lucky enough to find a stolen motorcycle in India close to it's original form and more so able to acquire it once again. I say it's big of Mr. GK to sell it back after knowing your history with the bike.

Here's to another 25 years of this bike with you and hopefully your daughter/son keep riding this for another 25 years and more.
ranjith_cbz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 13:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Speechless!! Just fantastic story. You are really lucky to get your Bullet back in good condition. Your efforts to get it back and restore deserves a big salute.

All the best and happy riding this old beauty. I can imagine how much happy your dad would be, PRICELESS!!
aniketi is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 13:42   #33
BHPian

Almost like a movie! Thank you for sharing this joyous life event.
Your dad's smile says it all.
When you ride it in the 4th gear at about 25 kmph, the engine beat kind of matches with the heart beat. Talk about simple pleasures in life!
I sorely miss mine. Wish I hadn't sold her. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Stolen & found after 25 years - Dad's 1971 Bullet!-whatsapp-image-20220118-1.39.15-pm.jpeg  

jeeva is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:05   #34
BHPian

Very cool story and thanks for the walk through of your restoration process. These are the kind of stories that makes TBHP interesting for me.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:11   #35
Team-BHP Support

Two pictures sum it up for me. Your father having a hearty happy laugh, and him looking back at the parked bike.

Kudos for reuniting them!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:23   #36
BHPian

Wonderful story!

Your patience and persistence has really paid off!

That is one thing about bullets. They survive for decades with inconsistent maintenance. In your case the other owners had take reasonably good care of the bike
Mafia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:52   #37
BHPian

What a lovely story and heartfelt congratulations to the entire family on being reunited with a long lost family member.

Your naration reminded me of what my 82 bullet has been through. Mine's a funny story, I was still in school and about to give my 12th boards when a close older friend decided to go abroad to finish his college education and wanted to sell the bike. I was already in love with the bullet by then and thanks to my friend had learnt to ride it pretty well. To end a long story short my dad agreed to buy it for me on the condition I did well in my boards and 'officially' ride it on turning 18. The first part I managed to do, the second part was fudged when possible.

I finished my bachelors, worked for a couple of years, got married early and then decided to to abroad to do a masters. Now what, no point hanging on to the bike so reluctantly sold it to someone we knew. Now the fun begins, my wife who had to stay back initially for a year started missing the bike, so without informing me she bought it back by paying 10% more.

I still have my 82, though it's in no way stock anymore. I wanted to upgrade to the 650 and went and paid the booking advance but the better half said not in her life, which was the end of my premature anticipation on owning a new bike. Now that I think about it, it's probably for the best as I don't think I would have got the same enjoyment and frustration from a newer RE, plus I couldn't have got my hands dirty as I now do with the 82.

71 bullet means the worm for the speedo is on the rear wheel and yours has the heavy crank?

Enjoy the 'New' old ride.
keroo1099 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:56   #38
BHPian

That was a wonderful story and I really admire your passion and investigative spirit, Arun. It was great to see the pics and the restoration you did. I am highly tempted to search for my Bullet with Registration number KRU 1484 (Kollam, Kerala) which I bought new in 1986. The last time I searched for it, the RTO website said it is in Thrissur. The assistance from Team BHPians is highly laudable and I am proud to be here.

By the way is the body paint metallic green?
Could you check the availability of the original clutch and front brake levers with chromium plating? That would give more originality to the bike.

Wishing you many many years of riding the good ol' thumper.
sureshkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:57   #39
BHPian

Superb composition of thrilling events.
My dad purchased a 1976 model Bullet Deluxe which was sadly sold in 1982 as my grandmother wanted to buy a VCR then. They were not available in India in those days (I believe) so dad bought an imported & expensive Hitachi VCR for her mother in exchange of his beloved Bullet.
When I wanted to purchase a Bullet in 1997, I was too thin to have the confidence, so settled for a Yamaha RXG instead. Few years later (2002), I got my Bullet Electra. Thought did come to my mind to find my Dad's Bullet but may be the intent was not as strong as yours.
KkVaidya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:48   #40
BHPian

Man!! who's cutting onions out here!!! This is by far the best story I have come across. I loved it! And the last picture with your dad as well as the complete family on wheels, the Padmini, Chetak and the Bullet along with all the joy you got to experience was absolutely beautiful!

I own a Bullet and tried selling it many times but I couldn't. I can imagine how much your father must have been missing it. Not any more! Cheers to everyone who help you and your hard work in fishing it out from quite literally an ocean. WOW!

God bless you all.
ron_9191 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 16:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

We rarely get to hear of such events in real life, therefore feels very nice. Some cinematic twists - sold, stolen, seized, auctioned, and then found.

The good old times being back - very few people might get such a chance!
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:12   #42
BHPian

Beautiful thread and the way the bullet came back is the highlight! You have inspired me to find my Dad's RX100 back with these steps. The only info I know is that the bike is registered in Bantawal.

I'm sure your classic bullet will be well cared and is obviously way better (in terms of build and charm) compared to today's bullets.

Last edited by jithin23 : 18th January 2022 at 17:15.
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 17:56   #43
BHPian

Some efforts never fail to amaze and this one is truly remarkable. Hats off to you for being so patient and dedicated for the search. Thanks for sharing and motivating many of us.
sukhbirST is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:01   #44
BHPian

What a heart touching story.

Your dad must be so happy and also proud of you for having gone through the trouble to find his ride back for him.
Also, you are setting a great example for your daughter. Cheers.
vasanthn21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 19:11   #45
BHPian

Fantastic read... Arun! Wow can imagine the amount of happiness your dad must have felt on seeing his bike that night.

Great gesture on the part of the current owner who was willing to sell it to you.

Nicely restored to stock condition by the same old mechanic adds the final touch.

All the Best to enjoy the Beast.
7heaven is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks