Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 14:49   #31
BHPian

Re: 17" wheels conversion on my Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Nope. Meteor has a 19" front wheel.

Exactly!
Have you tried the stock 18" rear with the current 17" front combo? I have a hunch this might aid in a sharper turn-in but not sure about stability at speed.

Some 90s superbikes used to have a 17 rear and 16 front combo for faster turn-in since they were heavy pigs back then. No harm in trying it out since you have all the parts at disposal.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 16:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
how does it ride? Any red flags?
Absolutely no red flags whatsoever. No doubts or fears at the back of my mind either since all are OE components. The only thing I have noticed is more tyre rolling noise from the rear alloy wheel. Maybe because of the hollow and open nature of the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Have you tried the stock 18" rear with the current 17" front combo? I have a hunch this might aid in a sharper turn-in but not sure about stability at speed.

Some 90s superbikes used to have a 17 rear and 16 front combo for faster turn-in since they were heavy pigs back then. No harm in trying it out since you have all the parts at disposal.
Interesting, have not tried it. let me see if I can check it out. I love the current setup of the bike and is a riot to ride. The only upgrade to the chassis I would make is improving the damping of the front suspension.
man_of_steel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 17:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely no red flags whatsoever. No doubts or fears at the back of my mind either since all are OE components. The only thing I have noticed is more tyre rolling noise from the rear alloy wheel. Maybe because of the hollow and open nature of the wheel.

Interesting, have not tried it. let me see if I can check it out. I love the current setup of the bike and is a riot to ride. The only upgrade to the chassis I would make is improving the damping of the front suspension.
Check with the folks at zedling if they have any custom springs for your needs. They're quite knowledgeable when it comes to suspension tweaks.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 14:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Hey, could you also upload a picture of the meteor rim where it has the rim width, etc written?
Old 23rd January 2022, 17:47   #35
BHPian

Read somewhere KTM Dukes 17 inch 10 spoke front alloy wheel can be fitted to the Interceptor with some minor alterations. Looks similar to meteors rear one you are using currently.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 11:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
Hey, could you also upload a picture of the meteor rim where it has the rim width, etc written?
Sorry for the late reply. Couldnt locate any such markings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Read somewhere KTM Dukes 17 inch 10 spoke front alloy wheel can be fitted to the Interceptor with some minor alterations. Looks similar to meteors rear one you are using currently.
Involved somewhat extensive modifications to the hub. Dont want to go that route.

UPDATE: The bike is running flawlessly and I am pushing it more and more. Further dropped the front end along the forks by around 10mm for more feel and feedback in corners. Worked really well. Also, I am doing thorough shakedown on the setup and noticed that there is a slight bend on the front rim and a couple of spokes are actually loose but the important point is that still the bike is rock steady in any speeds.
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. Couldnt locate any such markings.

Involved somewhat extensive modifications to the hub. Dont want to go that route.
Thank you man_of_steel for sharing your experience and keeping the thread updated. I too agree with the practicality over looks!

I have a question - Will the combination of stock front 18 inch spoked tyre and rear meteor alloy tubeless tyre work well, in your opinion what will be the challenge?
Meer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 09:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
I have a question - Will the combination of stock front 18 inch spoked tyre and rear meteor alloy tubeless tyre work well, in your opinion what will be the challenge?
Hi, yes. There will be a definite improvement in the handling even if you switch to meteor alloy for the rear. Have seen some bikes like that which rides way better than stock. No challenges at all IMHO!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 15:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
I have also changed my stock rims to some local Mild Steel 17 inch rims but they started to rust in under 6 months, so I bought alluminium rims from Dismotech because I couldn't find anybody who sells 4.00 17s Excel rims.
Hi, if you don't mind me asking how have the Dismotech rims been holding up after 10 months?

I'm looking to buy an Interceptor soon and I wanted to swap out the 18 inch rims for 17 inch ones once the stock tyres wear out and while I could wait for the Super Meteor 650 to launch and use those rims I don't want to lose the classic look of spoked wheels on a Royal Enfield.
Old 31st July 2022, 01:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hi, if you don't mind me asking how have the Dismotech rims been holding up after 10 months?
Hey mate no major complaints till now other than the paint chipping off, I plan to anodize or powdercoat the rims to protect it. The 17s are really worth it, transforms the bike into a fatter Duke!
Old 23rd September 2022, 09:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Anybody tried the Hunter alloy for the front end of the Interceptor? Interested to see how things go in that direction. Although the brake rotor is in the opposite side, the alloy could be flipped and it should be more or less a direct fit if the rotor mounting points are same.

Unfortunately, I sold the INT650 a while ago would have loved to try out this mod too on it.
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody tried the Hunter alloy for the front end of the Interceptor? Interested to see how things go in that direction. Although the brake rotor is in the opposite side, the alloy could be flipped and it should be more or less a direct fit if the rotor mounting points are same.

Unfortunately, I sold the INT650 a while ago would have loved to try out this mod too on it.
There was a YouTube video, problem was the speedo hub sensor, Hunter doesn't have one, it calculates from the ABS ring! Right now you can fit the flipped Hunter front alloy without the speedo meter working.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 15:47   #43
BHPian

Just saw a video of the new Zontes 350s. The 350 T Adv comes with tubeless spoked rims that look like 17 inchers - if so they should be a great option for the interceptor, no idea about their price though.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 06:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, lot of valuable information here. A basic question. How many spokes does the front and rear wheels have in the GT650 / INT650? 36? Apologies if this has been discussed before.
Old 25th November 2022, 12:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hi guys, lot of valuable information here. A basic question. How many spokes does the front and rear wheels have in the GT650 / INT650? 36? Apologies if this has been discussed before.
It is indeed 36 spokes.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks