Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 13:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Preparing a motorcycle for a long highway journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You have not evinced a desire to be a tourer. Keep life simple - My repeated advice:
- Service the bike
- If tubeless, learn puncture repair. If not tubeless, get new tubes + slime
Great advice.
I would suggest you carry a spare tube (give priority to the rear wheel).
I don't know what the weather is like in the area, but make sure you are warm, cold can slow your reflexes and also make you stiff - you may suddenly find yourself unable to press the brake lever. So like people have advised, take breaks and stretch often.
Another experience, the wind will put a big load on your neck at high speeds, again take short breaks often and stretch.

Enjoy your trip!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 01:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Please buy some reflector strips (the neon yellow ones)

visible to cars / trucks in the late evening or night if they come from the rear.
Brilliant Idea. This is my lifelong obsession. Go to any neighborhood flex printer and INSIST on 3M reflective tape.

Every angle / corner of my bike (even car) including my tailbag has reflective stickers done tastefully, blending into the company decals.

I must have installed almost 10 feet of it on my bike in every possible corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Another experience, the wind will put a big load on your neck at high speeds, again take short breaks often and stretch.
Thoughtful sensible advice. Agree!
Despite having 1.5L km under my belt when I toured with my heavier SOL helmet, my cervical issues flared up. This is non trivial. But OP is a young turk who has just graduated college else I would have asked him to undertake 3 hours of yoga on a daily basis till he leaves!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 01:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Every angle / corner of my bike (even car) including my tailbag has reflective stickers done tastefully, blending into the company decals.

I must have installed almost 10 feet of it on my bike in every possible corner

A close friend of mine with artistic bend of mind uses a paper cutter to cover most parts of his vehicles. They just blend in and reflect with light. Don't have any pictures though...
Can you please share a few to provide inspiration?
OPMaurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
Hello friends, my college has come to an end and i'll be moving from Delhi to my hometown in UP and I need to take my motorcycle back with me. I can transport it by train but I am considering riding it back. Its a roughly 500 kilometer trip, and I think even if I go slow it shouldn't take more than 10 hours which means I won't require a night halt.
Heyy SkylineGTR, I really love the adventure you're about to take. I myself used to go on pretty crazy bike rides and at one point of time, my darling was a Honda Unicorn Dazzler which I bought pre-owned. I have went on many 600km trips (to and fro). The first thing I would advise before starting is have your engine oil level checked. If you feel that the accelerator cable and clutch cable might snap, better change them since they are old anyway. It's not gonna cost much. A maximum for both should set you around Rs400. I really hope you're having tubeless tyres, if yes, I would advise you to carry a cycle tyre pump in case of any puncture (This is optional, I myself never carried one and expect once never had any issue). Finally, make sure you wear comfortable clothes. Since in is the North, I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty cold this time if the year, so make sure you have a good jacket and a pair if good gloves. Don't go with the cheap ones, your hands are gonna freeze like hell. Most importantly, make sure your tyres are in good condition. If they are not, I would advise on getting tubeless tyres so that when there is a puncture, the tyre won't go flat immediately.

P.S.: I always used to take only one break in my journey, and by end of the journey, I used to get severe headache, make sure you take breaks at regular intervals and drink plenty of water. This is really important. Please take plenty of pics on the journey, I really love travel stories with pics. I'll be looking forward to read about your adventure. Have a save journey.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th September 2021 at 13:03.
Old 24th September 2021, 13:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant Idea. This is my lifelong obsession. Go to any neighborhood flex printer and INSIST on 3M reflective tape.

Man, that is something I've been thinking about for some time for my scooters. Could you please post some pics so as to get an idea about placement of reflective tape.
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 23:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Man, that is something I've been thinking about for some time for my scooters. Could you please post some pics so as to get an idea about placement of reflective tape.
Here you go.

Apologies for the seemingly late night terribly underexposed photos. I wanted you to appreciate the truly high visibility of these stickers.

Preparing a motorcycle for a long highway journey-img_20211004_225415__01.jpg

Preparing a motorcycle for a long highway journey-img_20211004_205418__01.jpg

Preparing a motorcycle for a long highway journey-img_20211004_205359__01.jpg

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th October 2021 at 23:12.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks