Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2021, 09:05   #16
BHPian

re: Bought a Royal Enfield Interceptor | Got a brotherhood for free

Such a refreshing write up! Inspiring wanna be riders to take the plunge. Wishing you many many decades of unbridled motoring joy brother!
ram1kv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 15:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Bought a Royal Enfield Interceptor | Got a brotherhood for free

Being one of the active motorcycle community engaging in trips, short rides and overall form factor, RE has a separate community dedicated to this. Being a brand that has its unique fan base be it mechanically and ride oriented, a union with a short is always cherishable and as they say you ultimately expand your motorcycle brethren.

Being an ex-RE owner, one thought I would leave you with is, always know what can go wrong and be prepared irrespective of their range. Enjoy the ride and good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:33   #18
NTO
BHPian

Re: Bought a Royal Enfield Interceptor | Got a brotherhood for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
Congratulations on your Inty and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trips! Very thoughtful of you to post links of your mods too.
Thank you very much. With so many Interceptor ownership posts already on team-bhp, I though of adding some value with the links to the mods with their reviews as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Amazing story NTO! Welcome to the club.

T QQ: The pilot lights seem to be mounted near the forks. How did you mount those? I'm looking for a good set as well.

One interesting thing I noted in my riding group as well as a lot of other 650 riders is that we all buy the MT Thunder 3 for some reason. Coincidence or maybe it just sits in the right price bracket like the 650s.

Many more happy miles to you.
Thank you GrandTourer. Coming to your question, the clamps are specific to interceptor and available on the maddog website itself. It is a very easy installation.

You are right about the MT thunder 3. I too have many folks having the same helmet. In fact, two people have the same color as well! It is of very good quality and hits the sweet spot in price as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Well written thread! Loved the pics.

The close call due to the niggle you mentioned - I’ve faced the niggle too, only, on my Gixxer. I haven’t gotten it diagnosed properly yet, but I suspect the power loss and jerky fuelling issue is due to a faulty relay. Gotta get it checked soon…
Thank you. Please get the issue checked soon. It took a while for me to gain confidence after this incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
Great log and the story behind it. I had a TB350 before my current ride and I loved it. Now, only thing that has kept me from owning the 650 twins is the bench seats. I just can’t stand them, specifically on long rides. The seats on TB were the best. Eagerly waiting for any tourer version from RE maybe next year or so.

I too have experienced RE brotherhood and even though my current group is excellent, have fond memories of earlier one. Thanks for sharing the story and wish you many more rides on this one.
I too loved the thunderbird seats. They were phenomenal. However, the GT touring is a sweet compromise. In addition to these, I know a lot of folks who have customized their seats to their liking. There are a lot of options if you're willing to explore. In addition to this, there are air cushions and padded shorts for added comfort. Do check them out and do not reject the 650 twins just for the seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post
Congratulations on the new ride!

Looking forward to reading your travelogues in the future.
Thank you very much. You can see the next travelogue in the first week of Jan after our trip to Araku Valley and Lambasinghi in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Such a refreshing write up! Inspiring wanna be riders to take the plunge. Wishing you many many decades of unbridled motoring joy brother!
Thank you very much. A small kick back to the biking community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Being one of the active motorcycle community engaging in trips, short rides and overall form factor, RE has a separate community dedicated to this. Being a brand that has its unique fan base be it mechanically and ride oriented, a union with a short is always cherish able and as they say you ultimately expand your motorcycle brethren.

Being an ex-RE owner, one thought I would leave you with is, always know what can go wrong and be prepared irrespective of their range. Enjoy the ride and good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Thank you VJ. I have owned three REs in the past and as you rightly mentioned, I am constantly on the lookout for issues.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 12:54   #19
NTO
BHPian

5 Days and counting to fix a puncture by Royal Enfield RSA

I purchased 3 years RSA along with the motorcycle since I planned to tour extensively on my Interceptor.

I met with the inevitable, a puncture on the rear wheel on my Interceptor on Saturday 12th February. I was close to my house so, I took all the strength in my body to push the bike back home and parked it safely. Since I had the Road side assistance package, I called the toll free number.

Surprise, Surprise, my phone number was not linked to the RSA and they asked me to read the chassis number. Post this, I got a confirmation of available RSA facility and the RSA team agreed to help. The complaint registration process was a long and strenuous one and took close to 30 minutes.

The RSA request was directed to Rudraa Motors, Anna Nagar, Chennai, the dealership from where I bought the motorcycle. Two gentlemen from Rudraa visited, removed the wheel and took it to a nearby puncture shop to get it repaired. Apparently, the nail that got in tore the tube at multiple places and the tube had to be replaced. These gentlemen, returned the wheel, without fixing it, took the tube with them and left. They said that, it will be replaced by the very next day, 13th of February.

On 13th, post afternoon, I contacted Rudraa motors to follow up regarding this and they said that, the spares department is closed on Sunday and hence the replacement will happen on Monday, 14th of February.

On 14th of February, I contacted Rudraa motors again and they said that they are looking to source a compatible tube and would get it replaced the very same day.

On 15th, I again called them to get the same response. I called the Royal Enfield Toll Free number, 18002100007 to register a complaint regarding this issue. The gentleman who spoke assured me that this issue would be resolved immediately. However, it is not resolved yet.

Today, on 16th, I called the toll free number to see the status of the complaint and the action taken. They have linked me to the local territory service manager, one Mr. Surya. He spoke to the dealership, collected all the necessary information and suggested that they will get this fixed by today if the Tube is available or, they will place an order with Ceat and get it replaced within two days.

Now, I have purchased a flagship model (as of now) from Royal Enfield and their RSA takes over 5 days (not sure how many more) to fix something as simple as a punctured tube. I would not have minded if the part that failed was something more complex and needed back ordering etc. It is a simple puncture and this is how I (a customer) am taken for granted by Royal Enfield.

I myself could pick up a spanner, buy a new tube and get it fixed. I have toured extensively on motorcycles and I have sufficient training on basic and emergency vehicle maintenance. But,
What if I was not trained?

What if I was in a similar situation in the middle of nowhere?

What if I was in a dangerous territory?

What if all of the above happened to a lady riding a Royal Enfield?

Would Royal Enfield still be this lethargic?

I do not want to fix this on my own and want to wait and see how Royal Enfield responds and also bring an awareness amongst the many Royal Enfield Enthusiasts here.
NTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 13:55   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Now, I have purchased a flagship model (as of now) from Royal Enfield and their RSA takes over 5 days (not sure how many more) to fix something as simple as a punctured tube.
While I'm not a fan of RE service- I've had several bad experiences with that with my bike since 2007, but IMHO it is better not to depend on any service brand for something like a puncture and better to get it done yourself. I'm not trying to say don't hold RE accountable, if this is something covered under the RSA package that you have paid for, then by all means take it up with them. But as a practical thing, for something like a puncture, better to handle it rather than keep the bike unused for that. Just an opinion.

Quote:
Again, while road-side assistance packages are good to have, practically it is better to know how to do the simple stuff like change a tube, change cables before attempting to tour on a bike to remote places solo. (I know you mentioned that you already know how to, just posting this point in general.)

Last edited by am1m : 16th February 2022 at 13:57.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 14:19   #21
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
IMHO it is better not to depend on any service brand for something like a puncture and better to get it done yourself. I'm not trying to say don't hold RE accountable
I agree to what you say Sir. But how would you hold RE accountable after the issue is sorted? I agree that this is a simple puncture but, what will happen to someone with a bigger problem?

I am anyway going to fix the bike one my own if RE delays beyond today but, I wanted to voice out my concern on how the entire thing is handled by a company with so much cult following and Brand value in our country. I wanted to highlight how a customer, is being treated by the Company. Nothing else.
NTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I myself could pick up a spanner, buy a new tube and get it fixed. I have toured extensively on motorcycles and I have sufficient training on basic and emergency vehicle maintenance. But,
What if I was not trained?

What if I was in a dangerous territory?

What if all of the above happened to a lady riding a Royal Enfield?

Would Royal Enfield still be this lethargic?

I do not want to fix this on my own and want to wait and see how Royal Enfield responds and also bring an awareness amongst the many Royal Enfield Enthusiasts here.
Royal Enfield's RSA has quite a few terms and conditions. Things which are covered under RSA:
- Minor onsite repairs
- If motorcycle cannot be repaired, towing to the nearest RE service center (Free of cost)
- Towing to nearest RE service center in case of accident (Free of cost)
- Dead battery: Tecnician will attempt a jumpstart with the battery he brings. If battery needs to be replaced, he brings a new battery
- Puncture: Tecnician will come to the site, removes tyre, takes it to nearest puncture-wala, brings it back and fixes it. You pay for the puncture repair only
- Run out of fuel: If you run out of fuel on the road, the technician will come with 5 litres of petrol and fills your machine up. You pay the petrol cost alone.

The puncture repair per se is not a part of RSA. That part is outsourced to the local puncture wala. Damaged tube and unavailability of a new tube are matters beyond the scope of RSA actually.

What I would do in your situation would be - go to the local tyre/tube shop, procure the tube and then call the RSA guys again to come and get it fixed and fitted.

None of the scenarios you've mentioned can be helped by RSA! Being in the middle of nowhere, in dangerous regions, being a lady on a motorcycle in India - are all choices the rider makes. There's no way I'd make any of those choices depending on RSA provided by the manufacturer!!

I've documented my tryst with RE RSA for a puncture in my Himalayan ownership thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4826302 (Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS - One year of blissful ownership!)
Geo_Ipe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 16:09   #23
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Royal Enfield's RSA has quite a few terms and conditions. Things which are covered under RSA:
- Minor onsite repairs
- If motorcycle cannot be repaired, towing to the nearest RE service center (Free of cost)
- Towing to nearest RE service center in case of accident (Free of cost)
- Dead battery: Tecnician will attempt a jumpstart with the battery he brings. If battery needs to be replaced, he brings a new battery
- Puncture: Tecnician will come to the site, removes tyre, takes it to nearest puncture-wala, brings it back and fixes it. You pay for the puncture repair only
- Run out of fuel: If you run out of fuel on the road, the technician will come with 5 litres of petrol and fills your machine up. You pay the petrol cost alone.

The puncture repair per se is not a part of RSA. That part is outsourced to the local puncture wala. Damaged tube and unavailability of a new tube are matters beyond the scope of RSA actually.

What I would do in your situation would be - go to the local tyre/tube shop, procure the tube and then call the RSA guys again to come and get it fixed and fitted.

None of the scenarios you've mentioned can be helped by RSA! Being in the middle of nowhere, in dangerous regions, being a lady on a motorcycle in India - are all choices the rider makes. There's no way I'd make any of those choices depending on RSA provided by the manufacturer!!

I've documented my tryst with RE RSA for a puncture in my Himalayan ownership thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4826302 (Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS - One year of blissful ownership!)
Thank you for highlighting so much in Detail.

Apparently, procuring the tube and replacing was in the scope of RSA. After pursuing complaint with Royal Enfield twice, waiting for 5 days and after getting connected to the territory service manager Mr. Surya, Rudraa motors procured a tube and got it fixed today. I had to pay for the tube alone. I waited as I was promised by the RSA call centre and the service centre guys that I will get a tube replaced the very next day. If they had told me clearly that they would fix it once I procure the tube, I would've done it all by myself.

You are absolutely right about the fact that, being in all of the situations I have mentioned, is absolutely the rider's choice and decision but, my concern was different. If Royal Enfield's RSA can handle only in this lethargic manner, why to even get a RSA? Why to pay for it? We can as well live without RSA.

Last edited by NTO : 17th February 2022 at 16:19.
NTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 17:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
If Royal Enfield's RSA can handle only in this lethargic manner, why to even get a RSA? Why to pay for it? We can as well live without RSA.
Absolutely! RSA just gives a fake sense of security. Practically, it's quite useless. That's precisely why I stopped renewing RSA after my second year.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 21:54   #25
BHPian

Excellently informative write-up!
I have one question for all Int650 owners here or any RE bike owner really:
Did the showroom compel you to purchase the ext warranty, extra RSA, some "compulsory" accessories and the insurance from them only with their super inflated margins on top?
A friend of mine is facing this issue right now as he's trying to buy a Hunter and I'm also going to face a similar problem once the deliveries start for the Meteor650 in a couple of weeks' time.
I hate when we don't have any options in such shitty sales tactics for popular vehicles with long delivery periods meted out to us by these showrooms.
I've also raised this issue with their customers care call centre and even elevated to the next level but to no avail, all the customer care department wants to do is get us off the phone and then not follow up at all.
Any insights would be highly appreciated TIA
mpp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks