Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 21:55   #16
BHPian

Re: 2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100

So far, the readers have only seen a bike that is still being resurrected from scrap. The bike, even when running was not looking at its best. There is rust, broken panels, peeling paint and broken plastics everywhere. At one stage, it looked less like a bike and more like a wasteland abomination seen in something like Mad Max. So in the end, a decision was made to paint the bike and get it stickered.

The bike is painted in black itself, but instead of going with the standard gloss black, the bike is currently painted in metallic black. Secondly, with respect to the stickering, I have gone for a slight OEM + look for the bike, with the sticker designs taking huge inspiration from SE Asia Market Kawasaki Commuters and the GTO being sold in Pakistan. The sticker design will certainly anger the purists and I would like to apologize in advance. I have stock badging and stickers for a later time, when I eventually get bored of the present design.

Presenting to you, the KB100 in its new avatar -

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220324-9.50.52-pm.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220324-9.49.36-pm.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220324-9.49.25-pm.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220324-9.48.39-pm.jpeg

These are a few photos which I've managed to take post painting, will be putting in better photos and other aspects soon. There are slight few issues to take care of, but overall the bike is almost as good as new.

The next major changes would be in for performance mods. I do not aim to create a drag race monster out of my bike, I just want enough power to do decent highway speeds and smoke 200cc and below bikes, if needed. It would be certainly helpful if Bhpians would have suggestions for mods which I could make ideally and how much it would cost me.
TorqueMonster is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 23:00   #17

Hello to you and other people, nice resotration job of a classic machine. These deserve the love that few know how to give them.

Coming to my agenda, I recently purchased a 30 yr old LML NV scooter, due to my heart telling me.
Scooter ran 45000 kms and engine in good condition as told by people who rode it.
Currently I want to know the best ways to maintain such a vintage and robust thing so that it may serve me on short and long rides for at least another 10-15 years.
Please post your much needed advices. Regards.
spawndon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 07:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
The next major changes would be in for performance mods.
Smoking a modern day 200cc motorbike is going to be challenge. As you know, modern motorcycles are equipped with fuel injection that can very quickly adapt to a situation as throttle and conditions demand. This is not so easy to do with a carburettor based motorcycle. You can get a bigger jet, allow for more air flow, however, in the end, its still going to respond like carb based fuel-air supply system. There is always going to be some lag on the throttle. This is my limited knowledge. Folks with experience can speak about better solutions.

For improving highway performance, I can only think of a 5 speed gearbox. I am not sure if one was ever made for the KB100, in India or sold like this in other markets. I imagine the stock 4 speed box tends to keep rev's quite high. While the engine may run fine, you'll be burning through a lot of fuel and oil in the process.

Well done on restoring this motorcycle. The Kawasaki Green sticker job is also well executed. This was one Japanese motorcycle that did not quite gain the popularity of a Yamaha or IND-Suzuki. I thought it was just as dependable and had a unique exhaust-intake note. It was different to the other two Jap motorcycles.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th March 2022 at 07:13.
sandeepmohan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 08:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
For improving highway performance, I can only think of a 5-speed gearbox. I am not sure if one was ever made for the KB100, in India or sold like this in other markets. I imagine the stock 4-speed box tends to keep rev's quite high. While the engine may run fine, you'll be burning through a lot of fuel and oil in the process.
The bike was not officially sold with a 5- Speed transmission, but I've heard of a few people fitting Wind 125 gearboxes onto these bikes, but that requires a lot of money and effort, so would probably not look into that for now. As you said, the 4 speed is this one Achilles heel. The vehicle is still revving, it still can get higher speeds, but it does not have another gear.
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 21:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:

The bike is painted in black itself, but instead of going with the standard gloss black, the bike is currently painted in metallic black. Secondly, with respect to the stickering, I have gone for a slight OEM + look for the bike, with the sticker designs taking huge inspiration from SE Asia Market Kawasaki Commuters and the GTO being sold in Pakistan. The sticker design will certainly anger the purists and I would like to apologize in advance. I have stock badging and stickers for a later time when I eventually get bored of the present design.

Presenting to you, the KB100 in its new avatar -
Your efforts are paying off, the bike looks sweet and the sticker job really blends with the minimalistic theme. I would personally recommend you to source the original stickers which come on the engine side covers which will make it look even better and period.

Quote:
The next major changes would be in for performance mods. I do not aim to create a drag race monster out of my bike, I just want enough power to do decent highway speeds and smoke 200cc and below bikes, if needed. It would be certainly helpful if Bhpians would have suggestions for mods which I could make ideally and how much it would cost me.
Import 5-speed gearbox, look for KB 125 Cylinders and Head, a friend of mine recently told me about a scrap condition Kb 125 lying near his home(Trivandrum)
justin.das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 22:50   #21
BHPian

The bike looks super nice! I'm currently on the lookout for a KB100 for sale in Bangalore (for a friend), and it is really hard to find one of these in decent shape with valid papers. Would be great if someone can point me to one I can pick up!
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 21:03   #22
BHPian

In the previous post, I had just put a few photos of the bike just after I got it from painting. Decided to go to the beach and sit down for a while, also taking pictures of the bike.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220328-8.57.23-pm.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220328-8.56.54-pm.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220328-8.56.35-pm.jpeg

The bike had a slight issue with the gear not engaging for a slight bit, but that was fixed by my mechanic. After this, the gear shifts have become much smoother than before, now the only problem is the clutch and the lack of a 5th gear.

As for performance, 0 - 50 comes withing a flick of the accelerator, and you could speed up till 60 - 65 easy. There is more power left to be unleashed, but post 70 starts massive vibrations on the footpegs, which make the ride unbearable. So at this stage, the bike is just a pocket rocket best used in city. More mods will be coming soon after I get a bit more money to use.
TorqueMonster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 20:31   #23
BHPian

Nice to see your post. Just did a restore of kb100 rtz. Mainly mechanical and electrical. The bike is decent for small rides.
It was last run in 2007, hence afraid to take it out for >10 kms as of now.

How have you kept your 2T oil getting into the engine? mix it with petrol or separate oil tank?
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Nice to see your post. Just did a restore of kb100 rtz. Mainly mechanical and electrical. The bike is decent for small rides.
It was last run in 2007, hence afraid to take it out for >10 kms as of now.

How have you kept your 2T oil getting into the engine? mix it with petrol or separate oil tank?
There is a separate oil tank on the KB100 but it is not working on my bike. So I have to mix oil with petrol while filling up.
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:15   #25
BHPian

Over the past 4 months, a lot have happened with respect to the bike, some good, some bad. I had a situation where the gears on the bike were not changing, leaving me stranded for a few hours only to be fixed within 10 mins. Other than that a lot of parts were changed due to wear and tear, leavers, yokes and bits and pieces of rubber in most places.

In the previous threads, you could see how the bike had just one mirror, that too of the type seen in a Platina. I was trying my best to source the original KB100 mirrors, but replaced them with the Avenger Street Mirrors eventually. Currently there are minor electrical issues, but other than that everything is going fine.

I recently had the entire bike cleaned and after a long time, went out for a ride, managed to have a lot of fun going cruising around the city in an early Tuesday ride.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20220726-1.08.47-pm.jpeg

Next in line is just a couple of minor changes. At this stage, the restoration project is 90% complete. I currently will just make a couple of small mods, I have dropped the plans to make major performance tunes. I like the dual ability of this bike to not only be a good commuter, but also reach good speeds, and I would like to keep that quality of the bike. So there will be small changes to the bike, which will be made soon
Old 6th August 2022, 16:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Great to see another 2-stroke being resurrected and put back on the streets! Do let me know if you need any new/used parts for this bike, I keep making trips to various spare parts shops and to the scrapyard from time to time, and I'd love to help in any way possible since parts availability in Bangalore is probably slightly better than elsewhere.
Since the time I've put up my thread, I've also managed to sort out some major niggles on the bike and have completed two small road trips. Attaching a picture.
Looking forward to more updates on this thread!
Attachment 2236030
Hi boniver - would it possible to get a rearview mirror set in Blr? Am also fixing the float assembly and hence any pointers would help. Thanks in advance

Last edited by FuelInjector : 6th August 2022 at 16:10. Reason: spelling
Old 10th August 2022, 12:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Hi boniver - would it possible to get a rearview mirror set in Blr? Am also fixing the float assembly and hence any pointers would help. Thanks in advance
I'm not sure about the float assembly, but you can get mirrors everywhere. Just go to any shop that sells parts for older bikes and ask for the mirror of an RXZ. It's the KB100 mirror itself, same design and type.

If not, if you are not a fan of that type of mirror, you could get Avenger Street Mirrors, like what I've put in my bike. The ordinary Avenger Mirror is in Chrome, you can get that too if Chrome is what you need.

As for Float assembly I'm unsure since I have not faced that problem yet.
TorqueMonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 17:39   #28

That paint scheme looks sick!

It would look even better with a wide rear roller.

Honestly, not a fan of that grab handle but even how, its a KB100.

Keep up mate
royalan9321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 00:19   #29
BHPian

The last update on this bike was more than an year ago, and within this year, a lot of things happened. The first being me shifting an entire state now for studies. The second being the entry of another bike into the Garage, in the form of the Super Meteor. And when the question came to decide what bike to bring to the University, there was only one option that was considered. Bringing the KB100 all the way from Kerala.

Now, over the past year, the bike has undergone a lot of changes, be it physically or mechanically. Physically, the bike had not been ridden for a while, the Kawasaki Lime Green Vinyl faded, and spokes broken. There was also onset of rust here and there.

For bringing the bike back to running condition for the 3rd time in 33 years, this time did not take much effort. Major changes were made however. The first was regarding the Engine. The Engine earlier was lethargic, struggling till 40 and saturating at 60. A new carbuerator being fitted along with some engine tuning has now totally fixed this bike. Now it runs a KB125 Carb, with necessary engine tuning. And this has totally changed the characeristic of the Engine.

The vehicle is back to its rev happy self, and it is the smoothest it has ever been. Secondly, the bike now easily picks up speed until 60, and saturates at an 85, with a top speed being upto a 100 easily with enough straight road. The speed is adequate enough that for a recent ride, I was catching up with 300cc Jawa's despite being 200 cc and 15hp short. I now have the classic 2 - Stroke Performance, with enough usability of a 150cc. I now get decent mileage too, anywhere between a 35 to 40 easily. Considering the fact that I contemplated selling this bike for a 150cc commuter, now I have the best of all worlds, be it looks, old school charm or sheer performance. It is the one bike that is now finally making me feel like all effort I had put in earlier was worth it.

Moving on to the looks, the Lime Green Vinyls have been replaced with newer vinyls, bringing back its shiny look again, back to how I had restored it last year. And this is of massive importance, as the 2 Stroke Sound, and the looks makes it one massive attention seeking motorcycle. It is fun to see the looks of confusion, of a bike that says Kawasaki, but sounds and rides similar to the RX. This bike commands attention, from both curious onlookers unaware of the existence of such a Bike, and also 2 Stroke Enthusiasts and bike enthusiasts in General.

As of now, this bike has been part of multiple long rides, and it has effortlessly cruised at 65 - 70. Sharing a couple of recent images of the motorcycle below.

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20230826-10.37.10.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20230826-10.37.11.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20230826-10.37.11-1.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20230826-10.37.11-2.jpeg

2-Stroke Fun | My Kawasaki KB100-whatsapp-image-20230830-00.16.14.jpeg

Now there aren't any major changes to be made to the bike. If the budget permits, the next upgrade will be disc brakes in the front to deal with the recent highway rides this bike has been a daily fixture of.
TorqueMonster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 10:55   #30
BHPian

Guys

Am in Bangalore, with a AP31 registered KB100 RTZ with expired RC and insurance.
Is there any "workaround" to renew the above documents - if yes, I'll want to get that done. And then spend money to restore it.

Any guidance or person who can help!!

cheers
lazy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks