Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 11:51   #1
BHPian

Does an Electric Scooter make sense for me?

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the market for a 2 wheeler scooter. I have a Dominar 400 which is used for my long rides but I'm in dire need of a new scooter to replace our our >11 year old activa. I have currently considered the Ather 450x and also booked it. But after going through their own forum, it feels like they have a lot of bugs in the inital 450X models (I don't know if it is resolved now). Now I'm in dilemma whether to go ahead with the 450X or go for a traditional ICE scooter? I can't wait for the OLA as I would need a new scooter in the next 2-3 months. Also I'm sure OLA will have it's own bugs/issues to be resolved in the first batch as it is evident from test rides. I'm okay with the range Ather 450X provides as my daily commute is less than 50 KM, but I don't want to compromise on the quality of the product. Please suggest if I should go ahead with Ather or should I consider ICE scooters. I'm looking for a fun to ride vehicle and hence haven't consider TVS iQube and Bajaj Chetak.
Old 28th November 2021, 21:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Does an Electric Scooter make sense for me?

Given that your daily usage is 50Kms, an EV Scooter does make sense.

However, please keep in mind that you will need charging facility at your residence.
And also please take in consideration that the Ather 450x costs a whopping Rs 52K more than a mainstream scooter like the Activa.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

User fuming on high cost of ownership today
Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm currently in the market for a 2 wheeler scooter. I have a Dominar 400 which is used for my long rides but I'm in dire need of a new scooter to replace our our >11 year old activa. I have currently considered the Ather 450x and also booked it. But after going through their own forum, it feels like they have a lot of bugs in the inital 450X models (I don't know if it is resolved now)
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 23:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest if I should go ahead with Ather or should I consider ICE scooters. I'm looking for a fun to ride vehicle and hence haven't consider TVS iQube and Bajaj Chetak.
I would suggest you get a Suzuki Access 125 which is well settled in the market and is fun to ride. Why complicate life with an electric scooter which may or may not suit your needs and possibly be riddled with teething problems. Stick to the tried and tested, keep it simple.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 02:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you plan on keeping the scooter for even half as long as you have the Activa, then just stay away from electric scooters. Battery degradation, means that just like your phone, the capacity and as a result the range, will end up dropping pretty significantly over 3-5 years time. The reliance on coal for electricity in India, means that if anything you would be doing more harm to the planet.

Pick up something like the Access or the Burgman. I myself am eyeing the Aerox perhaps it might suit you as well
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 02:43   #6
BHPian

Electric is not an option I would recommend, unless it can replace the convenience of an ICE scooter. The technology is at a nascent stage and improving every year. It is not a good option in terms of longevity as well. The current Electric tech will be obsolete if you plan to keep it as long as your Activa.

If you want fun to ride, get either a Aprilia, Vespa or Aerox.

Last edited by omar : 29th November 2021 at 02:44.
omar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 03:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

An electric scooter makes perfect sense for what you have mentioned manubg92.

IF POSSIBLE, What makes even more sense is to eke out some more life out of the Activa, celebrate 12+ years and then replace it. By then the Indian EV two wheeler market will look very different and you'll have much better options.

By then expected more sorted and easier available electric scooters from OLA,.Ather, Bajaj, TVS as well as Hero's first scooter (real Hero).
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 09:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm in dire need of a new scooter to replace our our >11 year old activa...Please suggest if I should go ahead with Ather or should I consider ICE scooters
Just sharing what we went through with our 15 year old Activa - we just refurbished it so good (ofcourse got shoddy work in between which was another expense) that it now looks like brand new Honda Activa

I think we spent Rs 20K for strip & paint job, then 7K for carb, engine oil, fork bend, fuel meter (this was the job done shoddy), 1.3K for battery, 6K clutch overhaul, fuel meter, carb cleaning, engine oil, brakes, 1.3K for tires & another 1K for FC. All put together some ~38K

So for 38K we got a brand new scooter that's good enough for another 2-3 years atleast. That should give us some time to breathe, save some money to see if buying an EV is cost efficient ownership than fossil fueled scooters or not.

So, if you have lot of money & want to have some fun, EV makes perfect sense, especially Ather 450X, which is fantastic EV scooter in market today

But if you're like someone like me, trying to find value for what you're paying, then here's a simple calculation to show the ownership cost between fossil fueled scooter & EV
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 13:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Given that your daily usage is 50Kms, an EV Scooter does make sense.

However, please keep in mind that you will need charging facility at your residence.
And also please take in consideration that the Ather 450x costs a whopping Rs 52K more than a mainstream scooter like the Activa.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes setting up the charging facility is a pain (have to get permission from the apartment association) and since its a rented house I might change it at some point and have to go through the process again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I would suggest you get a Suzuki Access 125 which is well settled in the market and is fun to ride. Why complicate life with an electric scooter which may or may not suit your needs and possibly be riddled with teething problems. Stick to the tried and tested, keep it simple.

Cheers
Yes I'm considering Access 125. But I'm more interested in Burgman as it looks more comfortable (yet to take test drives). Any suggestions on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you plan on keeping the scooter for even half as long as you have the Activa, then just stay away from electric scooters. Battery degradation, means that just like your phone, the capacity and as a result the range, will end up dropping pretty significantly over 3-5 years time. The reliance on coal for electricity in India, means that if anything you would be doing more harm to the planet.

Pick up something like the Access or the Burgman. I myself am eyeing the Aerox perhaps it might suit you as well
Aerox is not suitable due to no luggage space in the front and also lesser FE. How does the burgman hold in terms of ride comfort and handling compared to Access 125? Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Electric is not an option I would recommend, unless it can replace the convenience of an ICE scooter. The technology is at a nascent stage and improving every year. It is not a good option in terms of longevity as well. The current Electric tech will be obsolete if you plan to keep it as long as your Activa.

If you want fun to ride, get either a Aprilia, Vespa or Aerox.
Yeah I think its too early for e-scooter looking at my usage and I definitely want to keep this for at least 5 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
An electric scooter makes perfect sense for what you have mentioned manubg92.

IF POSSIBLE, What makes even more sense is to eke out some more life out of the Activa, celebrate 12+ years and then replace it. By then the Indian EV two wheeler market will look very different and you'll have much better options.

By then expected more sorted and easier available electric scooters from OLA,.Ather, Bajaj, TVS as well as Hero's first scooter (real Hero).
Well that was my initial plan, to use the Activa at least till 2023 and then look at e-scooters but unfortunately due to the age and increasing maintenance price I have decided to give it to my brother to use nearby home and it won't suffice my 50KM commute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Just sharing what we went through with our 15 year old Activa - we just refurbished it so good (ofcourse got shoddy work in between which was another expense) that it now looks like brand new Honda Activa

I think we spent Rs 20K for strip & paint job, then 7K for carb, engine oil, fork bend, fuel meter (this was the job done shoddy), 1.3K for battery, 6K clutch overhaul, fuel meter, carb cleaning, engine oil, brakes, 1.3K for tires & another 1K for FC. All put together some ~38K

So for 38K we got a brand new scooter that's good enough for another 2-3 years atleast. That should give us some time to breathe, save some money to see if buying an EV is cost efficient ownership than fossil fueled scooters or not.

So, if you have lot of money & want to have some fun, EV makes perfect sense, especially Ather 450X, which is fantastic EV scooter in market today

But if you're like someone like me, trying to find value for what you're paying, then here's a simple calculation to show the ownership cost between fossil fueled scooter & EV

Thanks for that calculation. Looks like ICE scooters have the advantage looking at the numbers and the ease of re-fueling they provide. Will look for ICE vehicles and then probably after 4-5 years will consider e-scooters. Hopefully the battery range and the cost would have come down then!

Mod Note: Use multi-quote feature as explained here.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2021 at 15:18. Reason: Use multi-quote feature
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:19   #10
BHPian

Re: Does an Electric Scooter make sense for me?

The general understanding is that there are only 3 Electric Scooter Companies in India which are Ather, Bajaj Chetak and Ola. However, it is to note that many other small players like Hero Electric, Ampere, Okinawa, Pure EV, Benling, Bounce, Gauss, Gemopai, Rowett, TES and others have been in the market for many years and quietly selling Electric Scooters all over India. While their Scooters may not come with all the bells and whistles which these 3 players provide, it does the job of moving people from point A to point B nonetheless without any major issues. I think in case you are planning to go electric, check out the dealers of all the Electric Scooters near your place before making any decision. You will be surprised that some of the Electric Scooters from these companies are not only cheaper but some of them gives much greater range and good speed as well.
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I'm considering Access 125. But I'm more interested in Burgman as it looks more comfortable (yet to take test drives). Any suggestions on this?
Hi Manu, Burgman would be much better than the Access from a comfort and even power point of view. Even though it’s the same engine, I believe it’s tuned differently. I have ridden the BS4 Burgman, it was very comfortable and smooth, the current BS6 model must be much better. Go for it.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Manu, Burgman would be much better than the Access from a comfort and even power point of view. Even though it’s the same engine, I believe it’s tuned differently. I have ridden the BS4 Burgman, it was very comfortable and smooth, the current BS6 model must be much better. Go for it.

Cheers
Thanks, have booked the Burgman BS6 BT version.
manubg92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:45   #13
BHPian

I cannot suggest a scooter, but I am curious as to why you do not use the Dominar for your ~50km commute. I would think it's well suited to that purpose.
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:31   #14
BHPian

At first glance the Ather 450X seems like a good choice given the daily commute of 50km.

But if you plan to keep the scooter for years like the Activa then I'd stay away from Electric Scooters.

My uncle owns a BS6 Access 125 and for daily use and as an Activa replacement it should be perfect.

But you have other alternatives:

1. Burgman Street - Same basic guts as the Access 125 but in a more spacious package.

2. Aerox 155 - If you have 1.7 Lakh to spare (OTR Bangalore) and want the most explosive scooter on sale today.

3. SR/SXR 160 - If you have 1.7 Lakh to spare (OTR Bangalore) and want an Italian scooter
Old 3rd December 2021, 23:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, have booked the Burgman BS6 BT version.
Great Manu, congratulations in advance.

How soon are you getting delivery? Please update this thread when you do and after using it for a while it would be good if you can put up an ownership review. It may help out someone in a similar predicament as you. I think there is only one review for the Burgman BS4 on our forum.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks