Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 07:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review

Thanks boss!! You're one of the core members who influenced me to go-ahead for Interceptor. I'm still learning the language of Inty; one profound truth it taught me (and Wife was to learn it first) - This is a motorcycle to be ridden slow, as slow as 80 or as slow as 140!! More to be treated like a gentleman's way of speeding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The only point that...or slippers while riding
Every time I ride out, I have this question on ATGATT on how practical it is. I ride to a near by grocery on my Activa, will ATGATT work? How will I be looked by folks at groceries? Ok, forget that, I attend a function at school the large hall is non AC jam packed with plastic chairs. Where to I hang the jacker, riding pants & store that shoes that soak sweat in my feet? Ok, let's say I ride to city having 4-5 stops, each time I make a stop, it takes 5 min to wear & remove them, so 10 min X 4 stops = easy 40 minutes gone.

I'm not counter arguing, I'm also seeking answers whether ATGATT is possible all the times!! Now there's a simple choice - drive a car. Yes easy; city? drive car? I lost 1:40 hrs easily

For now my conclusion is, ATGATT is not practical, atleast in India. Now coming to shoes, yes possible, takes very less time (besides I love wearing shoes); I won't say I ride every time with shoes; but for errands slippers, otherwise anything inside city or over 5-6 Km, shoes for sure.

Quote:
I am sure that your upcoming years and tens of thousands of kilometers with the Interceptor 650 will also result in a similar sharing of your real world experiences and wisdom. I look forward to more updates on this thread and congratulations once again!
Many thanks for your kind words; I'm totally unsure if Inty will even see beyond 25K, primarily due to responsibilities even if you discard the age. Like Andy & Red were wondering where their years went, I'm wondering how it used to be a decade ago, where I was simply running away with CBR at a drop of hat; these days all the planning remains only as a digital copy. Atleast no one says no to holidays these days, especially office, but the responsibilities are grounding me

Last edited by aargee : 23rd December 2021 at 07:53.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:20   #32
BHPian

Re: Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
but for errands slippers, otherwise anything inside city or over 5-6 Km, shoes for sure.
Hello, I just want to add that I am a part of the helmet and shoes no matter what brigade because you never know what can happen on the road no matter how short the distance. I do realise that it's not the safest or the most convinient way to ride but you're feet are the closest thing to the road and slippers fly away on impact faster than an unstrapped helmet. Wearing shoes is a small price to pay for minimizing painful roadrash.

In terms of people staring, people stare at absolutely anything. it's upto us to look out for our own safety regardless of whether we ride a 100cc bike or a 1000cc bike.

Now obviously, it's not my place to tell you what to wear while riding. I'm just here to say that I try to wear as much gear as I can when I venture out and you learn to live with the minor inconviniences over time
2legit2quit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:25   #33
BHPian

I personally also think a minimum of helmet, gloves, and shoes are a good practice at all times on a motorcycle, though I don't always follow this, say, on weekly visits to the market or to temples.

Atleast for riding motorcycles which have a predictable throttle and handling response in everyday situations, I don't think we need to worry ourselves too much. The onus of being mentally aware, senses on alert, physically prepared is anyway always on us, whether we're in gear or not, whether it's a bicycle or a 200+ kg Madrasi cannon.

Even an expert dancer can sometimes slip and fall. Freak chances of things going south are always there. But to hinder oneself in other ways just to prepare for some freak occurance doesn't seem like the best thing to do for everyday riding situations.
drt_rdr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
Hello, I just want to add that I am a part of the helmet and shoes no matter what brigade because you never know what can happen on the road no matter how short the distance. I do realise that it's not the safest or the most convinient way to ride but you're feet are the closest thing to the road and slippers fly away on impact faster than an unstrapped helmet. Wearing shoes is a small price to pay for minimizing painful roadrash.

In terms of people staring, people stare at absolutely anything. it's upto us to look out for our own safety regardless of whether we ride a 100cc bike or a 1000cc bike.

Now obviously, it's not my place to tell you what to wear while riding. I'm just here to say that I try to wear as much gear as I can when I venture out and you learn to live with the minor inconviniences over time
I'm with you on this 500%.

If it's too inconvenient to put these two on, the inconvenience of coming off the bike 100 meters from your gate is a lot more.

Plus old bodies heal slower.

I'd choose to not ride if putting on a helmet and shoes is too much of a hassle for that moment.

Ditto a pair of jeans. No shorts. That for me is the bare minimum to go out on a bike. Even for a test ride of a friend's bike around the block, when I'm always in shorts, a T and my Hawaii chappals.

I've ingrained this into my son as well. He rides a Gixxer 250 SF. The day I see him without a helmet I take away his keys.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd December 2021 at 12:38.
ebonho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 08:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

A simple baptizing ceremony on Christmas
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-image-20211225-08.40.17.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-image-20211225-08.40.19.jpeg
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 10:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

With the riding plans gone unfavorable due to the unruly undetectable virus, have been riding very less. But each time Inty never fails to put up a wide grin on the face. Considering this is precisely a month after assuming ownership of Inty:
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-sp1.jpg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-sp2.jpg

Sadly couldn't capture 1357 & 1357.9

Some of my observation in last 1 month

UpshiftsDownshifts
  • Rider ergonomics is not designed for high speed on this motorcycle - This point is about to be upshifted in forthcoming days. Although I still maintain the point on flickability, as humans as constantly endeavored through difficult times, the ergo can also be dealt with. Too early, but still, will review this point after few more months
  • Pillion ergonomics, has to be re-engineered for sure - Work in progress & some early results are absolutely positive. Will post a detailed review once things are in place which should be very promising for many long distance riders
Neutral
  • Weight - This is again to upshift again; weight isn't that bad, unless the bike falls down or may be as we keep riding, we're getting used to?
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 08:19   #37
BHPian

Many congratulations Aargee on getting a wonderful machine. I think you were spot on about this being a machine to ride slow, even if it's near 140!
That's the thing about REs, but especially the classic/bullet models. I used to enjoy riding one even at speeds of 30-40 before i developed a raging antipathy to RE that I hope to get over in probably a decade
That has never kept me though from ogling at the sheer beauty of RE models. If there is one thing that RE knows, it's how to make a pretty bike.

Also, here is my take on the 2 side topics that were touched upon earlier on the thread.
1) Foot positioning and use of rear brakes:
Coming from riding REs and my Impulse, I would ALWAYS use both brakes simultaneously and could brake very effectively even at speeds between 90-100.
It's only with the ABS enabled Xpulse that I ride now that I use the rear minimally and keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. I bring my right for forwards only once I'm already engaging the front. A big reason for that is that I now ride dirt wearing MX boots and it's not safe to ride with the foot hovering near the brake pedal nor for the toes to flare out. All things said though, there is no denying that simultaneously using both brakes is far more effective.
2) ATGATT:
I always wear a helmet, riding jeans and short cuff gloves. Even during the worst of the terrible North Indian summers, I don't see any significant discomfort using these. The Jacket I skip if it's a very short ride or one interspersed with multiple breaks, but then I do make a point to ride slower where that itself doesn't become a safety hazard. However if it's a longish ride where you essentially have to visit just one or two places, i always at least consider wearing a jacket, a mesh one of course.
KayEss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

This post is for you boss -> Going to Pudupet
Quote:
Do share more details on the comfort for the pillion etc, after the improvement to the OEM seat.
During the dilemma for a new motorcycle, I learnt from our esteemed friends here that the pillion comfort can be ameliorated by switching to Touring Seats from RE.

When I requested to add the Touring Seats & Engine Sump Guard at the time of purchase, the showroom folks didn't bill, instead they passed the buck on RE stating, if the stock is available, we will fit & bill you Sir. All RE owners here knows what that means!!

Post purchase, I was chasing the showroom for a touring seat & all the response I got was:
Name:  NoResponse.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  69.3 KB
from the showroom each time. Even they couldn't find one single Inty or GT650 with a touring seat either. Pics on internet?

And, I'm not Andy, nor have patience for 6 years & most importantly not in prison either!! So I started exploring Sahara Seats. No matter Sahara or Kalahari, the biggest threat I felt was - WIFE!! I don't want to land up buying a seat & (b)eaten to within an inch of my life that she despises. Wife already knows I'm in a little more in love with motorcycles than her, but still, I realized, if my Wife has to be, if not,

mad on Inty, atleast don't hate, then the seats has to be
made one for her, otherwise, she's going to be
mad about Inty

Start with the known sources
Went to a nearby shop, they said - "bulletna pannalaam, idhu madhiri vandi mudiyadhu" (If it's Bullet we can do, not for motorcycles like this), another shop - "bulletta? night vaanga" (Is it Bullet? Come at night); another shop - we don't do bullets; Son was infuriated with people misinterpreting Interceptor to Bullet. Went to another shop, conversation went like this:
Me: Do you make seats for Bullet (I had to acclimatize with locals)
Boy: Yes, where's the bike?
Me: (Pointing finger) There
Boy: Oh!! This one? Ask owner
Me: Where's owner?
Boy: He's not here
Me: So where is he?
Boy: He's gone out
Me: When will he come?
Boy: Call him sir
Me: Give me the number
Boy: 9xxx
(at this point I felt like simply walking away as my neighbor's 8 year old was more matured than him in responding )
Called up the owner, he said he can do it (thankfully he understood Interceptor), he asked me to fix a date & show-up. I felt some professionalism in it; fixed it on a Saturday morning 10:00 Am.

Saturday 9:55 Am - went to the shop, owner wasn't there, called up & he turned up in 10 minutes; said he was weary due to overnight work & he said something that I would be hearing more than bullet in next couple of day, little did I realize it then. He said

Go to Pudupet

Although I was mustering to give him a wordage of dosage for wasting my time, I simple said OK & left the place. I'm now back to level 0 again; went again to RE showroom totally dejected. They said

Go to Pudupet

Told them, it's a cumbersome effort besides I don't know any shop for which they say any shop in Pudupet is good. Asked for any reference & obviously got none. Asked them where they would recommend for any seat modification locally & they asked to visit a shop about 1.5 Km away.

Went there, showed them the bike & they said

Go to Pudupet

Came home wearily; slept it off; woke in the evening, took the bike & was determined to find some shop who can do the job. Went to one shop near the market, they spoke nice, showed them the bike, they said it's a costly affair to modify the seat, asked them how much, they said Rs 1000 max, which was fine by me. They asked to show a pattern & I showed them the models from Sahara Seats, that is when they said

Go to Pudupet

If you mutter Holy crap!! when reading this, please be assured, that's exactly what I felt too at the height of frustration!!

Then simply rode away in an attempt to find another shop; found another one near by; found a young man, must be in mid 20s, told them my requirements, showed some pics from Sahara Seats, by now you guys know what the answer would be

Last edited by aargee : 29th January 2022 at 15:34.
Old 29th January 2022, 15:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Go to Pudupet

He said. This was the last straw!! I said OK & attempted to move; but got irked & told him...

boss, I'm giving you a business & you're saying you don't want & I respect your professionalism

He replied stating, he's not done for this motorcycle before & doesn't want to make a mistake on such an expensive motorcycle & spoil his reputation; besides if the outcome wasn't as expected it would tarnish the looks of the motorcycle as well; fair enough!! Asked what might be the total cost for which he said it would not exceed Rs 1200, worst case Rs 1500; told him I'm willing to plunge into the risk & encouraged him to take up the job

Basically this is the job to be done (at this shop & everywhere else)
  • Remove the existing foam from stock seat from the base plate
  • Use a new foam (that costs anywhere from 600 to 800)
  • Shape the new foam suitably to fit to the base plate
  • Smoothen the shaped up foam, wrap it up with thick cloth, paste it to the base plate
  • Stitch up the foam with an art leather & staple to the bottom with patterns suited to taste

Our additional requirements were
  • Use the hard foam of Rx
  • Incline the seat from back to front with topmost at the backend
  • Finally the seat must give a slight feel of forward leaning posture for the pillion
  • At the backend the seat must be tapered to 125 degree angle so that the Inty's grab rail can be held with right hand

Best part was, he wanted only the seats, not the entire motorcycle to be parked in front of the shop. Fixed up 11:00 Am on a forthcoming Saturday, showed up at 10:40 Am with the seat. Removed the seat cover that is when we got an idea, why not put the new foam over the existing seat instead of ripping away the stock foam while adjusting to the required height for the pillion? He was fine by that. And thus the seats were custom made for the first time; costed about Rs 1500.

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s14.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s15.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s16.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s18.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s6.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s10.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s11.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s3.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s9.jpeg
Notice how small the rear portion of the seat to withhold pillion; little did I realize then

Last edited by aargee : 29th January 2022 at 15:38.
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Went by evening as he had committed, collected the seats, came home & fixed on Inty. It was a perfect fit. But there were 2 problems:
Minor - There was a good 1 inch gap between the tank & front of the seat because I had asked him not to stitch the rear part of the seat for aesthetics due to which the wrapped art leather shrunk the foam unexpectedly (Unfortunately I lost those pictures, so pls pardon)
Major - Wife complained the length of the seat wasn't adequate

This time, took measurements, told this is how it needs to be fixed & he obliged; costed Rs 500 more, but OK, job done satisfactorily per customer's requirement

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-m4.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-m5.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-m6.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-m1.jpeg
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

So this is how it looks today
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t1.jpeg

Measurements
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t2.jpeg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t3.jpeg

The ugly stitch that had to be done inorder to keep the art leather from compressing the foam
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t4.jpeg

Was apprehensive about the seat obstructing the hand from holding the rear grab handle; quite happy it was not even h of hinderance
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t5.jpeg

No more gaps
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t6.jpeg

Overall view
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t7.jpeg

The kind of incline we wanted
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-t8.jpeg

Finally the shop; the brave owner who was skilled enough for the job was shy enough to pose for a pic
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-s19.jpeg

Last edited by aargee : 29th January 2022 at 17:05.
aargee is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 00:55   #42
BHPian

Hello Aargee, how has your ownership coming along? Would be nice to let us know of your experiences in the last 8 months.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Starting with some milestone pictures
Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-img_20220208_164902.jpg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-img_20220212_205707.jpg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-img20220416071108.jpg

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-img20220812180555.jpg

Yes, 5555 & 7K are missed.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Hello Aargee, how has your ownership coming along? Would be nice to let us know of your experiences in the last 8 months.
In May 2022, made a deliberate monotonous ride to Trivandrum just because Inty asked for it. Royal Enfield & events always thump together!!

Started early morning from home, rode till Perambalur, 307 Km, refuelled for 12.37 liters with FE of 24.82 Kmpl as it was a spirited ride. Then started riding like how an Interceptor needs to be ridden; neat, clean, gentleman's speeds.

Around ~286 Km, after crossing Kayatharu, suddenly the bike stopped while descending a bridge; no warning, no symptoms, the engine just stopped working just like that. While panic was raising, I pulled the clutch & the bike to extreme left inorder to keep the bike moving in momentum as much as possible while shifting down the gears to neutral. All the attempts to start the vehicle were gone in vain.

The very thought of pushing Inty on a hot afternoon in the month of May started sweating profusely; adrenaline & cortisol were taking their turns along with circadian rhythm. Took a deep long breath, accepted the fate that I'll have to push the bike & will treat with Maaza & perhaps 2 strawberry cheese cake from Hatsun replaced those 2 hormones with doses of dopamine. The bike came to full halt after a Km or so after which I decided to give a start one more time before pushing.

BOOM!! The engine started it's sweet rumbles as if nothing happened; absolutely nothing happened; I felt Interceptor is giving me a disgusting look as if I had switched off the engine for a Km to run in momentum as if to save some fuel!! Never mind, I didn't want to argue with that fatty anymore, so, shifted to first & rode off to find the next fuel station. Essar, Mercy Rajan appeared at 302 Km on ODO. Went & refueled for 12.5 liters with 24.22 Kmpl.

What nonsense I thought!! The former readings of FE, distance & fuel capacity were near identical to the latter, yet the engine didn't die between Chennai - Trichy, while it let me down after Kayatharu. I don't know what had happened, why it happened, but that shook the reliability of the bike. Never, never, never once C250R let me down like this.

There were 2 similar incidents with C250R in Dec 2013, one was between Chinnar, TN - Davangere, KA, after slowing down to 80 Kmph, C250R still gobbled 8 liters of fuel. Another one was while in GJ; although I don't remember the places, I had filled at 58784 & the next refuel was at 59175 a whopping 391 Km & the bike still took only 10.27 liters. Ofcourse I started riding ultra slow (and praying without beads) post 325 Km.

But after this incident, I'm little careful as well & that fat fellow also behaves a little decent!! Apart from this ride, Son & I went to Vellore for a short breakfast ride last month; fatty Inty didn't ask more than a full tank for that ~270-280 Km round trip.

Some observation until now
  • Suspensions - internet has all the complaints, I don't intent to repeat
  • Weight - Although internet says it doesn't matter, it does matter if you're someone who does high speed curvy turns. Inty nearly killed me for treating him the same way as how I treat C250R
  • Maintenance - I will simply refer the June 2022 sales chart of vehicles sold >500cc where RE captured 85% of the market in this segment be it the cost of vehicle or the ownership cost

Am I happy or do I regret? - Despite the suspension, pillion seat & mild unreliability, I will say, its THE BEST value for money. If I had bought even an used Striple, it would pain to see the bike sitting in garage most of the time even if I don't bleed for a footpeg costing Rs 23K. For my useage it's a best cost of ownership but I'll have to compromise on 1 major item - comfort & ofcourse live in a constant fear of a simple stupid puncture!!

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd September 2022 at 13:50. Reason: Minor typo. As requested.
aargee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

What's a CBR doing on Interceptor's thread?

Intercepting the Drag to Downtown | My Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Ownership Review-c1.jpeg

With the rains almost ceasing from Chennai, realized, it's also the time to switch the motorcycles. I've said this before & I'm still saying, Interceptor is gentleman's way of speeding; calm, composed, gentle, matured & virtous (for the spiritual side ) way of flying low.

CBR made me realize as a serene, respectful cavalier when riding the Interceptor & that calm Hindu cow is going on hibernation for sometime awakening the Arabian Horse within!!

Edit - BTW, I had to painfully press my right thumb on the START button for 2-3 seconds to bring CBR alive & fill some 8-12 PSI of air in front & rear after nearly 2 months of hibernation hehe

Last edited by aargee : 28th November 2022 at 11:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks