Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 20:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Which commuter bike for city rides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Wait you've got a Ninja300 and you're looking for something else to commute on?
I did try commuting on my ninja but it would be very difficult riding to and fro from office specially in formals also, I parked it in a crowded market once or twice I found it being used as a prop for selfies and once I parked it in a mall only to come back to find a broken indicator. Hence, I decided to keep my n300 for my night/weekend rides.

I am considering cb300r as few have suggested but heavily biased towards classic 350.

Will wait for price reveal of cb300r and see how it goes.

What do you guys think of duke 250 and will it make sense to consider a pulsar 220 now in 2021?
Old 19th December 2021, 22:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Among the choices you mentioned RTR200 fits the bill perfectly. As an alternate I would like to suggest Xpulse 4v(a go anywhere bike). But if you don’t encounter too many bad roads RTR should be perfect.

Do check out the Aerox 155 though. Even am a hardcore bike lover but this is one scooter that got me hooked.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 01:32   #18
BHPian

I am in same boat as you, especially navigating bad roads and traffic in Bangalore is going to be a menace in coming months with offices opening up. Seriously no to scooters, I drove my wife's Access to office, for 3 years straight and had pretty bad issues with my health. I initially thought of Highness, Classic 350 and RTR 200, later realized, all I need in Bangalore is a forgiving suspension, an upright riding position, less weight to hassle around, and a Single Channel ABS at least. After considering everything, I am buying a Unicorn 160, my rationale below.

It's light, flickable, 160cc engine has good low end, seat is huge and comfortable, can be a grocery runner, can take bad roads, can drop kids to school, rear brake is a drum and almost has no bite, that makes front brakes to work full time with ABS kicking in now and then, there by reducing skids, fuel efficient and reliable, finally, cheap to own and maintain.

Last edited by 90Horses : 20th December 2021 at 01:33. Reason: Added one more point
90Horses is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:18   #19
BHPian

Why don't you try the Yamaha FZ 25? It is a great 250cc bike for the price of a 200. Since you are already riding the Ninja, I am assuming that it has spoiled you for its chassis dynamics and handling and most Yamahas excel in that department. After its recent massive price cut, it has no real rival in that price range. In short, you will have a great time with it, it will fulfill all your requirements, it is super reliable and you will save a ton of money and headache compared to RE. Also, it has one of the longest service interval of all modern bikes.
The only real downside is the slightly firm suspension and seat, but it aids in the sublime handling and the seats don't give backache and great for long distance touring. Also, with two on board or a heavy rider, the suspension becomes very comfortable.
Ritkon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 22:39   #20

You can consider ktm duke 200. I am a proud owner of the bike and the 200cc is a perfect match for city rides. It's nimble but powerful at the same time. It has the best power and torque figures in the 200cc segment. I highly recommend it.
Old 21st December 2021, 00:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Hi Folks, I am currently looking for a city bike and I am in a dilemma as to which bike to go for.

The thought of getting a bike for city usage came up with rising fuel prices which makes taking my car out for minor errands a costly affair . I currently own a ninja but I am not sure if it would be great idea to take it to my workplace on daily basis or for other city errands that I need to run by.

Bike should be:
  1. Equipped with Dual channel ABS
  2. Easy to navigate through traffic
Mate, you're in for a confused ride. There are too many options available.

I have recently taken up a mission to replace an inherited 10 year old unicorn, and have shortlisted the Xpulse. I found the Xpulse to be totally suited to the city rides comprising of bad roads. Its light, peppy and returns a decent fuel economy.

Before the unicorn was handed to me, the mentioned duties were done by my faithful CBR250R. Additionally I can take her on rides as well. CBR too is smooth, light, nimble and easy to ride bike. It has a dual channel ABS as well. I do enjoy her in the city as well as the highways.
Old 21st December 2021, 01:11   #22
BANNED

Enfield 350 is not a daily commuter bike. it is mostly suited for long drives, without the nuisance for city traffice, signals, pot holes etc.
Apache RTR would be best suited for city commute
Old 21st December 2021, 02:41   #23
BHPian

I have a Ninja 1000 for my touring duties and have pretty much finalized on the XPulse 4V for my commuting rides in Bangalore. Given the amazing roads in Bangalore, I can use all the suspension that I can get. Plus, the additional height will provide more visibility to read urban traffic that split second in advance.
Old 21st December 2021, 09:16   #24
BHPian

Have been riding the Apache RTR 200 since the last 5 years. Personally I am a little disappointed with the performance. The engine feels strained at around 50kmph. Not that it cannot go fast but its just does not feel at ease. I also ride a vespa and at the same speed, the ride is smooth and relaxed.

The plastic in the speedo console had started fading from year 2 of the ownership. Front fork leaked in 3.5 years. Minor instances of rust near the chassis # embossing area. Feels like corners were cut in quite a few places but definitely better than Bajaj quality. Ride a Japanese bike of similar of even lower engine capacity at speeds of 55kmph and you will realize the difference.

Overall I am just about ok with my ownership. No WOW factor in it.
Old 21st December 2021, 11:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritkon View Post
Why don't you try the Yamaha FZ 25? It is a great 250cc bike for the price of a 200. Since you are already riding the Ninja, I am assuming that it has spoiled you for its chassis dynamics and handling and most Yamahas excel in that department. After its recent massive price cut, it has no real rival in that price range. In short, you will have a great time with it, it will fulfill all your requirements, it is super reliable and you will save a ton of money and headache compared to RE. Also, it has one of the longest service interval of all modern bikes.
The only real downside is the slightly firm suspension and seat, but it aids in the sublime handling and the seats don't give backache and great for long distance touring. Also, with two on board or a heavy rider, the suspension becomes very comfortable.
+1
I was in the market for all rounder bike for city use and occasional highway rides. Finally settled for FZ25. It ticks most of the boxes. Pillion seat is also wide and comfortable. If your top speed is below 80km/h, then its a great value. Do check out Samba's excellent ownership thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...oint-view.html (Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View)
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 11:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, for a commuter inside city, the main criteria is comfortable suspension and midrange engine . And I think the Xpulse 200 fits this criteria perfectly followed by Apache RTR200
Old 21st December 2021, 16:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
Hi Folks, I am currently looking for a city bike and I am in a dilemma as to which bike to go for.

The thought of getting a bike for city usage came up with rising fuel prices which makes taking my car out for minor errands a costly affair . I currently own a ninja but I am not sure if it would be great idea to take it to my workplace on daily basis or for other city errands that I need to run by.

Bike should be:
  1. Equipped with Dual channel ABS
  2. Easy to navigate through traffic

Shortlisted bikes are:
  1. Royal Enfield Classic 350 :- always wanted one but stars never aligned to get one. With my current build I think it would suit me the best. I am biased towards it
  2. Gixxer 250 SF :- I like the way it looks but have heard mixed reviews regarding after sales service and parts availability.
  3. Apache RTR 200 :- being a naked street fighter I am sure it would be easy to navigate traffic with this one and also it would return a decent fuel economy.

Few other bikes considered but not sure about them:
  1. KTM Duke 250 : I like KTMs but never thought of owning one. Last time I was close to buying one I ended up buying my beloved ninja.
  2. Himalayan : I love it's stance and looks but again not sure if I really need it. I use my kawasaki for highway rides. How feasible is it for daily city usage?
  3. Pulsar : I didn't like the new ones and lack of dual channel abs on older models isn't appealing to me.
  4. Dominar 250 :- the power to weight ratio doesn't seem good to me. Should i consider the dominar 400?

I didn't consider R15 and I don't think it will fulfill my requirements.

Thank you!
If you already have a Ninja for weekend fun then you have 2 main options:

Aerox 155
OR
XPulse 200 4V

1. Aerox 155 - Why? Because apart from the VERY expensive BMW C400GT the Aerox 155 is the only true Maxi Scooter on the Indian market. 15hp on a scooter is unheard of in the Indian market and should make for quick and nimble city machine.The scooter form factor is the real key here. Aftermarket support is there but you may have to import parts from Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia etc.

2. XPulse 200 4V - Why? Because the XPulse is the perfect city bike under 2 Lakh IMO given our road conditions. Riding an XPulse means a pothole filled road turns into a mini Rally stage and you can glide over the bumps. Plus it has the added versatility of being a dual sport which means you can have one bike for hitting trails on the weekends and city use. Aftermarket support is quite good, being a very popular product there are many accessories on the market, plus if you feel like the 19.1hp is not enough there performance parts like Big Bore kits available for the XPulse.

And an added side bonus both these machines can handle 80-90kmph highway cruising if the need arises.
Attached Thumbnails
Which commuter bike for city rides?-gallery_02.jpg  

Attached Images

GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

You didn't mention what Ninja you have, 650 or the 300. If you're owning a Ninja and you would like to have a similar character that has linear power, stick to R15, if you would like outright torque like the 650, you have two options, the RTR 200 and the D200. The D200 is a city slayer, nothing in the 200 can match its outright acceleration and finesse. These would be my pick. Good luck on your hunt.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 21st December 2021, 23:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Well I'm in same boat as you looking for a city commute or local run about bike. I own a TB500 which is good for 20+ km rides. The reason for looking another bike is that I can't handle the weight of moving TB500 from parked places as it is an elephant. Same goes with higher CC bikes. I don't like gearless scooter as it won't give much mileage and confidence in pot holed roads. So I'm looking for a commuter segment especially 110cc bikes like Splendor+, Honda CD110, CT110 which will give not less than 65 kmpl . They offer very good torque until 60kmph which is more than enough for city errand and can cruise at 70 kmph with great mileage in return. Bikes like TVS Radeon, Livo comes with front disc and single channel ABS. Limit yourself to light weight bikes esp under 150cc. FZx isn't bad either. And such bikes have a 10 ltr tank with 650 km range as compared to 5 ltr tank / 200 km range in gearless scooters. For the occasional fun you can enjoy Ninja.
You will regret of your decision if you choose 100cc Motorcycle, it will be like riding toy after TB500.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:54   #30
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
You will regret of your decision if you choose 100cc Motorcycle, it will be like riding toy after TB500.
My TB500 will stay with me. Just that I'm spending on repairs more than our beater Alto. I was suggesting for a 110cc bike for local errands that will join big bike at garage. Yesterday I had serviced my 2007 yamaha libero G5. It is now back to butter smooth condition. I was indeed tempted to replace Libero with another 110cc but somehow my mechanic convinced me to give it another chance.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks