Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 22:30   #16
BHPian

Re: My Yamaha MT 15 Ownership Review

Here's a small update on the MT - It has been slow progress as the 3rd wave happened right after the last post, and I had not been able to head out till March. After that though, the MT has been on a couple of short rides, and with offices opening up again, The MT has somehow added 1k to the odo.

Its been smooth sailing so far. The MT always manages to start on the first attempt, and it's linear nature, the lightweight clutch, smooth shifting gearbox is turning out to be useful in stop go traffic. On smooth highways, 5th gear, 95 to 100 kmph seems to be the sweet spot, The engine seems happy and there's just a little more power (and a gear) if you need it.

The suspension though, it is slightly stiff and makes you slow down on patchy roads, rumble strips etc. The chain tensioner is still hanging in there and is turning out to be quite the conversation starter. The MT hasn't required much upkeep other than the usual chain maintenance, and under mixed riding - highway & bumper to bumper traffic, still manages a mileage of 60kmpl. The Liquimoly street 10w40, seems to be doing a decent job on the bike.

I do have some parts I've been planning to buy and install, but will probably write about them in the future posts. Here are some pictures for now-

My Yamaha MT 15 Ownership Review-img_20220306_155004.jpg

My Yamaha MT 15 Ownership Review-img20220423184556.jpg
Grimlock is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 09:33   #17
BANNED

Hi, which crash guard are you using for Mt15, is it advisable to mount crash gurads in which manufacturers don't provide?
Old 9th January 2023, 10:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
Hi, which crash guard are you using for Mt15, is it advisable to mount crash gurads in which manufacturers don't provide?
It was this exact one -
https://www.amazon.in/Power-Yamaha-Crash-Guard-Black/dp/B07WZL1PRF. They don't seem to make this anymore, but there seems to be newer versions in the market now.

As long as it not interfere with the oil filter changes / cause any vibration issues and the service does not have any issues with it, you can go ahead.
Grimlock is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 10:34   #19

Just want to share my pathetic experience with YAMAHA here.

I own an 2023 MT 15. I previously owned a KTM DUKE 200 in the past and went with YAMAHA mainly because of it's reliability that the KTM failed to offer.
Right from the beginning of the ownership, I've been facing issues with the radiator fan. I have replaced the radiator fan 5 times and now, again the radiator fan has stopped working. Each time the dealer promised me that the part has been updated and that I wouldn't face the issue anymore. During the 5th time, I had escalated this issue to YAMAHA and a service engineer inspected my motorcycle and told me that the part has been updated again and that the issue would not repeat after the replacement. During all my previous warranty claims (5 times), I've had to wait 10 days for the parts to arrive. Will this issue ever get sorted? I have seen a lot of owners complain about the same issue on social media.

I am at a point where I am considering selling of the motorcycle instead of dealing with YAMAHA and their broken promises. This has been affecting my work life as I have to travel 25kms from home and now have to deal with public transport for the commute.
I will never ever touch a YAMAHA again in my life.
Cleatus Wesley is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 11:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus Wesley View Post
Just want to share my pathetic experience with YAMAHA here.

I own an 2023 MT 15. I previously owned a KTM DUKE 200 in the past and went with YAMAHA mainly because of it's reliability that the KTM failed to offer.
Right from the beginning of the ownership, I've been facing issues with the radiator fan. I have replaced the radiator fan 5 times and now, again the radiator fan has stopped working. Each time the dealer promised me that the part has been updated and that I wouldn't face the issue anymore. During the 5th time, I had escalated this issue to YAMAHA and a service engineer inspected my motorcycle and told me that the part has been updated again and that the issue would not repeat after the replacement. During all my previous warranty claims (5 times), I've had to wait 10 days for the parts to arrive. Will this issue ever get sorted? I have seen a lot of owners complain about the same issue on social media.

I am at a point where I am considering selling of the motorcycle instead of dealing with YAMAHA and their broken promises. This has been affecting my work life as I have to travel 25kms from home and now have to deal with public transport for the commute.
I will never ever touch a YAMAHA again in my life.
Hi there.

I'm so sorry for the issues you're facing, that too with a product from a reputed Japanese company. The issue often faced with the radiator fan not spinning when required is the RELAY which operates these fans. Please do find which relay is responsible for the fan to not turn on when required, and replace it promptly. I'll share my case with you.

My CBR250R back home had a similar problem. The temp gauge would go to the last bar and start blinking, and I could feel the heat on my legs. I decided to find out what could be the potential issue and narrowed it down to 3 components : the thermostat, the relay, or some spirit living inside the wiring. I decided to try the simplest solution first and decided to replace the relay. Hunting for the relay from Honda dealerships was a TASK. I could hunt actual animals easier compared to finding smallest of the components from Honda ASC's (please don't hunt animals, even if you can). Given the fact that I do understand that this is not a consumable or a fast moving part, but it can be understood on the basis of common sense that this relay would be shared among other bikes too, if used.

So i decided to search for the alternatives using Google, and I came across a relay which was typically used in Maruti Cars. The diagram on the relay was same, the pins were same, its just that the relay was taller in size compared to the one that was actually on my bike. I purchased it for 100rs at my nearest Maruti parts distributor, came home, removed the old one and installed it. I fired up the bike, waited for it to get to running temp and there you go. The fan turned on.

So please, get down and dirty with your bike, see where the relay is, and try replacing it. I suggest this because given your ordeal, this is one of the easiest and cheapest things you can do with your MT-15.

Hope to see the solution for this problem soon enough.
saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks