Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 15:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Humble '97 TVS 50 - Restored

We had one which my mom used to drop us kids to school. This thread brought back those memories and I cannot thank you enough.

All your threads are incredible and I like reading them. They have nice calming, quaint way about them just like the subject scooters/mopeds. Excellent.

I am so glad that someone out there is going to lengths to restore them.
Pretty sure your restoration threads have struck a chord with way more readers than any other here.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 15:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

The moment I saw the title of the thread in the "Hot Threads" section, I knew it was you. Another wonderful restoration thread of another iconic vehicle. Congratulations on acquiring and restoring this beauty. Few of my primary school teachers in the early 90s used to come to school in TVS 50 before they were replaced by Bajaj scooters. There used to be a steep gradient near my school and I still remember few of the teachers who used to use the pedal. You also chose some wonderful places of Bengaluru to photograph this icon. Thanks for this awesome thread.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 16:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

- Dr. Srikanth Narayana, for helping me find this TVS 50.
- Mechanic Raju who restored and maintains it regularly.
- Prince garage for tinkering and painting. Painter Muthu who painted it.
- Friends Arun1100 and Greenday are always around for anything I need.
- Team-bhp is an excellent platform for we enthusiasts to express ourselves and allow to share our experiences with others!
Congratulations Funkykar and happy driving.
Yours is an inspiring thread, motivating others to follow suit and own a moped in their collection. Having owned a TVS 50 (1st generation) since 1983 (first owner), I have been doing all sorts of tinkering and mechanical jobs on it very soon after the three free services were availed at their dealership. I must say that it has been my teacher too, as I learnt so many things mechanical while working on it. More than 99% of the nuts and bolts are TVS made and seldom fail. Even as on date, I am yet to spot any rust on these galvanised iron nuts and bolts. It's engineering is extremely rudimentary and the machine is built to tolerate too much abuse and overloading. Just can see the so many self employed folks Loading their goods on it to earn their living.

In the earlier days, my moped with its superb 0-30 kmph acceleration would be the first, post the traffic signal turning green to move out of the traffic ahead of all. Being gearless was a great advantage. Slowly, we had other brands launch much more peppier models.

My moped lying unused since about eight years, with only regular starts periodically is being readied again to be fit and healthy. I will be updating its thread soon. With a little efforts, spares are coming by even as on this date. I prefer to do most of the jobs myself as there could some unknown, few mechanics surviving here in my city who have expertise in its jobs. Most have quit the scene and the newer generation doesn't know or touch such old machines.

I believe Funkykar has had a regular supply of expertise and spares supply since many of these still run in Bangalore and other cities down there in the South.

The thread waiting for updation :-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...coming-up.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th January 2022 at 16:17.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 17:02   #19
BHPian

Wow! This thread reminds me of the time when I was in high school and then in 10+2 at AMU, Aligarh. I had started noticing mopeds few years back but TVS Champ and Hero majestic VIP were the ones which really started the trend of not only good sporty looking models but also ones with claim to some performance as well. TVS was very popular with college going students and had a nice exhaust sound as well. It reminds of fun and romance time to my generation. Imagine a youngster in blue denim and a T shirt or a girl with bright suit and a colorful free flowing Dupatta in the wind, astride the TVS. Actually it was a sort of empowerment for them especially the girls. Thanks funkykar for letting me relive those mopments.

Last edited by fawad0222 : 13th January 2022 at 17:09.
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 19:04   #20
BHPian

Such a lovely little motor. Brings back so many happy memories. Growing up in Bangalore I have seen and used plenty of these during the 90's. Congratulations on the acquisition and restoration.

Happy miles ahead.
SedanGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 19:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I had the aspiration of getting a TVS 50 moped ever since I restored my Suvega moped.

Then one day, I made up my mind and visited. Went prepared to get it home if it was good. The doctor's known mechanic had purchased from his customer and had for resale.

Really enjoyed reading this thread. We still have a 1999 TVS50 at home and is not a garage queen. My dad still uses it daily for his runabouts. May be some day I need to do a full restoration.

Would you mind sharing the total cost of this project?
Everlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 00:44   #22
BHPian

This was my most favorite ride in my childhood. We had a Luna at home but I always liked the TVS. The best part of it was that it could also be pedaled like a bicycle. Loved stealing a few rides among relatives even not having grown a mustache

@funkycar - your restorations are always awesome to read. It was very moving to read the Suvega thread as well. That was the first moped in our family and I have both fond and painful memories of it. Imagine two adults and two kids riding it! If ever we meet, please allow me a ride on the Suvega. Please!
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 07:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting. The TVS50 brings back memories of my uncle’s place in Coimbatore in the 1980s - where our family priest used to show up on one. I must say all of us kids used to find it very funny - since our priest was a very large man, who had various parts falling off from the tiny bike. Interesting to see this has a key start - his bike required you to pedal hard to get it going. Amazing to see the love with which this has been restored. Thanks for posting.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 16:09   #24
BHPian

Excellent, very detailed story of one iconic moped of our times.

Recently i am seeing more of TVS mopeds in Mumbai driven by milkman, coconut sellers. Of course they are new ones.

I also restored my 1997 हमारा बजाज.

Hope our generation of restoring & keeping our old iconic beauties in शोरूम condition continues by millenials after reading such inspiring posts.
Attached Thumbnails
A Humble '97 TVS 50 - Restored-20220114_155824.jpg  

A Humble '97 TVS 50 - Restored-20220114_155847.jpg  

Vijay T is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 16:11   #25
BHPian

Excellent, very detailed story of restoration of one iconic moped of our times.

Recently i am seeing more of TVS mopeds in Mumbai driven by milkman, coconut sellers. Of course they are new ones.But युतीलतंय of such 2 wheelers is immense.

I also restored my 1997 हमारा बजाज.

Hope our generation of restoring & keeping our old iconic beauties in showroom condition continues by millenials after reading such inspiring posts.
Vijay T is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 17:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Interesting to see this has a key start - his bike required you to pedal hard to get it going. .
It was an after-market mod. The locking on the original TVS used to be only for steering - and we used to use a Navtal. Yes, you read it correct. When TVS gave a factory fitted ignition key, that came in the speedo console.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 19:38   #27
BHPian

As always, a very tasteful and detailed restoration work and writeup from you. Am just surprised how you could devote so much time and resources for all your acquisitions and for the restoration. Kudos!

Like every Indian and especially from south, I too have nostalgia of owing a TVS moped. My first moped which was purchased by my dad when I was in my 9th or 10th. Obviously a lot of memories around that.

My only digital photo of it!

Name:  My XL Super.jpeg
Views: 536
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by vshankarhere : 14th January 2022 at 19:49.
vshankarhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 21:45   #28
BHPian

TVs-50 brings back memories. We had purchased the initial TVS-50 (not XL, the original initial version, just TVS-50 with round headlights) in 1982. I learnt driving two-wheelers on it, and also got my first DL at 16 years for gearless vehicles on it. In Karnataka they had started giving DL for gearless vehicles at age of 16 years then.

It developed some engine issues and the local mechanic said we had to do rebore of engine etc, and even though we got parts from TVS service center and got it done, it was never the same and seemed to lose power frequently. Finally sold it in 1992. But it was a good workhorse, and had driven it from Jayanagar to Kengeri etc. Its top speed was 40kmph at that time. But those were times of less traffic and more leisurely riders! Good times, good memories!
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 14:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread, Karthik. In this age of fast cars and bikes, glad you bought a historical moped and restored it to full glory!

I loved reading and seeing the pics of TVS 50 being assembled again in front of your home. Should be so satisfying experience for you!

Thanks for sharing the video of me riding it. I loved riding it so much! Those days of old skool technologies were so simple and reliable.

Wish the govt supports the owners of Classic cars and two wheelers by easing the fitness procedure.

Enjoy and safe riding!
arun1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 19:58   #30
BHPian

Thank you Karthik for once again a beautiful share of your life giving process! Look forward to visit your garage someday soon
RenuKumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks