Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2022, 19:50   #1

Advice needed | Upgrading from my Yamaha MT-15

Hello, I've been riding my 1.5 year MT-15 BSVI around the state and feel like it's time to get something with more oomph for long highway journeys. I'm planning on keeping the MT for local commute and using the new bike for touring on weekends (300-500 km per day trips, maybe more).

The MT is great to ride in the city and acceptable in short highway stints but seriously lacking when it comes to longer journeys. The top speed took a hit from the smaller driven sprocket, 120kmph being pretty stable and maxing out at about 130. The other big issue is comfort at those speeds, affected by poor seat comfort, riding position for my height (just under 6 feet) and importantly, wind force.

The bike gets super light at the front end when riding through crosswinds or passing large vehicles. It also sways unpredictably sometimes because of aforementioned conditions. The force on your body and helmet also gets to you after a while. I have tried windscreens and riding in a comitted position but the ergonomics just don't work and my head becomes the leading edge of the front.

I plan on upgrading by the second half of this year or early next year, so unreleased motorcycles are also in the cards. All my friends own similar capacity bikes or just drive cars so I am looking for advice on a good stepping stone for a more powerful motorcycle. I'm comfortable with speed and riding\driving in a safe manner on the road but not with fast maneuvers on bikes. (I have a lot more milage cars than bikes)

Here are my requirements:
Price: Under 5 Lakh rupees and preferably around 3L
Power: Something around 50BHP give or take
Features: Good dynamics, ABS at the front at least, Slipper clutch, Luggage capacity, Exceptional brakes and a nice engine note would be appreciated
I'm okay with not having a pillion seat or a poor one and also harsher ride quality at low speeds.

Some help would be appreciated, thanks.
neshga is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 12:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Advice needed | Upgrading from my Yamaha MT-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshga View Post
...Here are my requirements:
Features: Good dynamics, ABS at the front at least, Slipper clutch, Luggage capacity, Exceptional brakes and a nice engine note would be appreciated
I'm okay with not having a pillion seat or a poor one and also harsher ride quality at low speeds.

You seem to be keen only on a brand new bike. The only bikes I recollect close to 50ps under 5L are R3 & Ninja 400, out of which Ninja is already discontinued.

If you look at pre-owned, am sure few options will pop up, Ninja 650 being a top contender. All 150cc+ bikes come with ABS as standard and at 5L, anyone better give a dual channel one. For dynamics, KTM still rule, least comfy probably amongst all.

Since you are not too worried about pillion, fared bikes are good options.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 12:51   #3
BHPian

I think you should go the used route for a well maintained Ninja 650. A good and recent example can be found for 5 Lakhs easily, with availability also being high. For new bikes, the RE Twins are almost 50hp, but are ergonomically not the best, and need a few changes for them to be better for a long drive. As for the KTM, it is one beast of a vehicle, its the most powerful vehicle I have personally experienced and it is excellent, except for comfort, engine note and luggage capacity. You can try getting the Adventure 390 if you are okay with touring bikes if possible.

But based on your requirements, I think the best bet is a Ninja 650. Also, see if the Honda CBR 650 is within your budget too.
TorqueMonster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 14:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

So many bikes suit your wide use case.
Around Rs 5 L : Honda CBR650F *
Rs 4 - 5 L : Kawasaki Z650 * / Kawasaki Ninja 650 * / KTM Adv 390
Rs 3 - 4 L : KTM Duke 390 / Royal Enfield 650 twins
Below Rs 3 L : Kawasaki Ninja 300 * / Yamaha R3 * / KTM RC 390 *

* denotes preowned

Go take test rides of these bikes and see what you like. The Interceptor 650 is a pretty popular choice on this forum though you cant go wrong with any of these bikes.
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 15:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:

If you absolutely want a brand new bike:

1. KTM Duke 390 Adventure - If highway touring is what you want, good in the city as well, it can go offroad but it's not a full on offroader like the Himalayan or XPulse. Pretty popular model so aftermarket should be good. Around 3.8 Lakh on-road Chennai.

2. KTM Duke 390 - Not as much as tourer as it's Adventure cousin but still a fantastic bike all things considered, whack on a windshield and you should be good to go. IMO The craziest bike brand new bike under 5L. Great international and domestic seller for KTM, aftermarket support should be plenty. Around 3.35 Lakh on-road Chennai.

3. Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 - Arguably the best bike to come out of the Royal Enfield stable in a really long time, only brand new twin cylinder on the list means the Interceptor effortless chugs along the highway in a clam manner but can also keep up with the R3's and Duke 390's in the twisties. Around 3.3-3.55 Lakh on-road Chennai depending on colour.

If you don't mind used bikes:

1. Kawasaki Ninja 650 - The Ninja 650 is one of the best choices on the used market, you pick up an older model for as low as 3.5 Lakh but I'd personally shell out about 4-4.5L to get a newer model.

2. Kawasaki Verseys 650 - Now if your main focus is Highway/Touring then I'd shill the extra 80k-1 Lakh over the Ninja 650 to get a Verseys 650. Both of them are great bikes.

Get the Ninja 650 if you want an allrounder or get the Verseys 650 if you want a focused touring bike.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 19:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You seem to be keen only on a brand new bike. The only bikes I recollect close to 50ps under 5L are R3 & Ninja 400, out of which Ninja is already discontinued.

If you look at pre-owned, am sure few options will pop up, Ninja 650 being a top contender. All 150cc+ bikes come with ABS as standard and at 5L, anyone better give a dual channel one. For dynamics, KTM still rule, least comfy probably amongst all.

Since you are not too worried about pillion, fared bikes are good options.
Thank you for the insight. It's not a deal breaker if a new bike isn't feasible for my requirements, I simply prefer to know a machine from the beginning. I feel it helps taking it slow, learning all of it's quirks.
I will try to get TD of the bikes you've suggested. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
I think you should go the used route for a well maintained Ninja 650. A good and recent example can be found for 5 Lakhs easily, with availability also being high. For new bikes, the RE Twins are almost 50hp, but are ergonomically not the best, and need a few changes for them to be better for a long drive. As for the KTM, it is one beast of a vehicle, its the most powerful vehicle I have personally experienced and it is excellent, except for comfort, engine note and luggage capacity. You can try getting the Adventure 390 if you are okay with touring bikes if possible. .
Thank you for your advice, I have been eyeing the KTMs for a while now. I will look more into the bikes you've mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
So many bikes suit your wide use case.
Around Rs 5 L : Honda CBR650F *
Rs 4 - 5 L : Kawasaki Z650 * / Kawasaki Ninja 650 * / KTM Adv 390
Rs 3 - 4 L : KTM Duke 390 / Royal Enfield 650 twins
Below Rs 3 L : Kawasaki Ninja 300 * / Yamaha R3 * / KTM RC 390 *
Go take test rides of these bikes and see what you like. The Interceptor 650 is a pretty popular choice on this forum though you cant go wrong with any of these bikes.
Thank you for the detailed information. I will checkout all of these for feasibility. The interceptor was never in my mind but now I've been hearing a few good things about it.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th January 2022 at 23:13. Reason: Mod Note inline
neshga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 01:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the insight. It's not a deal breaker if a new bike isn't feasible for my requirements, I simply prefer to know a machine from the beginning. I feel it helps taking it slow, learning all of it's quirks.
I will try to get TD of the bikes you've suggested. Thanks. ...
Just to add, if it's all about cruising at 100-120 kmph, you can definitely bring in more choices from 25-30 bhp as well. My CBR 250 could hit 1.5 ton without straining, while 120 kmph is very easy.

A new touring version of Dominar has been released, if you want to take a look at it, few friends mentioned the 2020 model hits 100 kmph without the rider knowing it.

KTM adv twins are also good option for a reasonably comfortable touring, but both are quite tall bikes (855mm seat height). There's a CB 300 /350 Highness / RS from Honda, you can check it out as well.

FYI, Kawasaki service / parts are not cheap, especially for the 650 cc segment.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th January 2022 at 01:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 14:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KTM Duke 390
Suzuki Gixxer 250 SF
Yezdi Scrambler

If you stick to you 50 bhp criteria, then only the first one qualifies. But really, from an MT-15, all these 3 would be a big jump up for the monies spent.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 09:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

KTM Duke 390 or Suzuki gixxer 250 sf

It is still light weight like the MT15 but the jump in performance is a leap!

Best sensible choice would be a Suzuki gixxer 250sf. It is refined, has enough power to keep munching miles at 120 kmph. It is no where as exciting as a KTM 390 though.

If you want to be doing crazier speeds, the Suzuki will disappoint, not by inability to get there, but the reluctance with which it gets there, unlike 390s or other 400cc bikes.

There is no replacement for displacement.

If budget permits, go for the Ninja 650

PS: Stay away from RC390. It's a terrible bike for touring.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th January 2022 at 09:50.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 12:30   #10
BHPian

Re: Advice needed | Upgrading from my Yamaha MT-15

I see your main issues with the bike seem to be the top speed, high speed stability and ride comfort in long rides.

For the first one, a switch to R15v3's sprocket could do the trick, my bike does 150 pretty easily and 100-120 cruising is a total non issue.

For the second point this is very curious indeed, my bike stays absolutely planted at 150 giving me total confidence, sure it has better aerodynamics thanks to the fairing and aluminium swing arm in the rear but is otherwise a totally identical bike, infact my brother's Duke 390 felt much more twitchy and much less confidence inspiring than my bike post 100-120, windblast would also be a given with naked bikes.
This raises the question do fairings and a better swingarm + driving position make such drastic difference in dynamics?!
You should then be looking at something in this zone only, something like RR310 which is less committed than R15 but otherwise a proper sports bike in its dynamics.

For ride comfort once again, even if you go for a naked you will get wind blast, and other issues you are facing in the MT, regarding high speed stability, I have already mentioned you need a sports bike for that, your options seem to be limited here.
Rocketscience is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Just stepping into your shoes and thinking what would I upgrade to if I was riding the MT-15 and was planning to upgrade.

Honda CB300R : https://www.hondabigwing.in/cb300r
BMW G310R : https://www.bmw-motorrad.in/en/model...ter/g310r.html
BMW G310GS : https://www.bmw-motorrad.in/en/model...re/g310gs.html

These are around the 30 bhp mark but should do the trick of upgrade.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 21:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest getting something also heavier than the MT and recommend the following, in order :

1. 390 Adventure : seems like a good bike to have anyway for touring, should offer better wind protection while matching your power category. The optimal stepping stone to bigger bikes, IMO.

2. Interceptor/Continental 650 : heavy and stable, the Continental has been favoured over the Interceptor in riding reviews. Although the issue with windblast would remain.

3. Dominar 400 : Do take a TD just for reference although not in the league of KTMs but heavy and with the touring accesories available now it will be competent on the highway. This won't be a good stepping stone to bigger bikes though as say the 390.

Last edited by shancz : 18th January 2022 at 21:59.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 10:25   #13
BHPian

If the 50 Bhp figure is arbitrary, then I would definitely suggest the Kawasaki Ninja 300. It fits into all your requirements except for the power. But, from personal experience (5 yrs, 50,000km) I can tell you, you can hit upwards of 160 kmph, with no loss in stability, no vibration. It has a can do attitude, (mine has done leh ladakh and spiti). It is comfortable, tho with a slightly forward stance, but not as race biased as the KTM RCs.
The smoothness itself is enough to blow you away.
Plus you have exceptional brakes, slipper clutch, ABS as well.

TD it, you will not be disappointed.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 11:38   #14
BHPian

I've been riding a 1st gen duke 390 for about 8 years now. Honestly it's all the bike I ever need. I installed a tall Puig screen meant for an FZ-1 and haven't had any windblast issues till it's too speed. It's a bit pricey at 10k but is worth every penny.

As for stability at speed any bike south of 170-180 kilos is going to be twitchy and will get tossed around in crosswinds or by passing trucks. Heavier bikes will be stable but will come at the cost of flick-ability. It's always a compromise. I, personally value flick-ability to stability due to our glorious unpredictable highways and anything that helps avoid those unforseen obstacles can save one's limb or life.

Cheers and happy choosing.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 20:26   #15
BHPian

I own an interceptor and xpulse bs6, used both of them on the highway, both have heavy drawbacks when it comes to highway riding. Interceptor's puny tires are the biggest drawbacks, they feel unsettled even on the white markings, and not to mention tube tires and lousy suspension and wierd ergonomics. While xpulse scores on everything the Interceptor dosent, it maxes out at 110. Expecting 50bhp at 5 lakh I'm not sure is reasonable. If you are stuck at 5 lakhs and New bikes here are some bikes I know will do well on the highway
Honda CB300R- I hear it does 170 and wants you to push more
Yezdi Adventure does 140 which should be sufficient for highway and the suspension will keep you comfortable
BMW 310 GS- positives are suspension, decent engine performance. Some YouTube videos suggest it is better than 390 adventure
I would also consider Ninja 300, the only thing that scares me is the after sales
SamuraiJack is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks