Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2022, 15:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ather 450 Plus Detailed Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Hey Guys!
I just had a few queries with regard to my Ather and i was hoping some of the owners here could answer them.

1) Has anyone been able to find a mobile phone mount for the ather?
I had the below RAM mount for Action cam. same thing can be used for mobile phone.
Ather 450 Plus Detailed Review-20190703_193117.jpg

Quote:
2) Does removing the saree guard void the warranty?
No, I've seen many Ather employees themselves removing that. However, since the saree guard is a regulatory requirement, some clever policeman can fine you

Quote:
3) Has anyone upgraded the tyres on the Ather to a bigger size? If so how much did it cost?
Many people have upgraded but after removing the wheel the belt tension has to be adjusted. Recently Ather have published that tyre change to a different size will void warranty. so you might want to be careful there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
Hi WhiskeyTangoFox,

Thanks for the detailed and insightful ownership review, this was quite helpful. I am relocating to Bangalore, and I would be needing a two-wheeler for my daily commutes and in-city rides. I've been seriously considering Ather's options and your take on choosing the 450 Plus over the 450X was indeed eye-opening. My only concern and query are about the housing societies' negative attitude towards charging setup, so I'm wondering how owners get by if they have to live in such a society and are not allowed to install the home charger? Ather grid has not covered every nook and corner of the city, if I'm not wrong. Otherwise, I've nothing wrong against going for an EV scooter.

Would you care to clarify my concern please?

Insights and replies from other Ather owners would be most welcome too, thank you.
Some Apartment associations are resistant to change no doubt. If you need help in convincing any association, there is some nice inputs from this topic.
Alternatively there is a list of EV friendly apartment complexes. You can possibly look to shift to one of these depending on your preferred location. This is the best option IMO

Ather grid is not covering the city well but it is also not recommended to use the grid regularly. the fast charging degrades the battery. moreover with the increase in EVs, most of the times the grid is occupied. not recommended for regular use.

In some apartment complexes Ather has also setup common charging points for residents only.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 20:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
2) Does removing the saree guard void the warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
No, I've seen many Ather employees themselves removing that. However, since the saree guard is a regulatory requirement, some clever policeman can fine you
This mornng while going out I saw an Ather showroom at Guindy and dropped in. I didn't have time for a test ride but had a good look at the scooters and also the stripped down piece. I noticed the saree guard but no side footrest. I suppose there is no way to mount one to the frame. It can't form part of the current saree guard which is flimsy and seems to hang from the panels. Women won't just rest their feet on it, they will use it as a step to climb on to the seat.

My query is precisely about this. Has anyone carried saree clad women on the pillion? Are they able to rest their feet on the regular pillion footrest? Else how safe is it to ride pillion sideways with feet dangling in the air?

Last edited by Gansan : 15th June 2022 at 20:27.
Old 16th June 2022, 18:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This mornng while going out I saw an Ather showroom at Guindy and dropped in. I didn't have time for a test ride but had a good look at the scooters and also the stripped down piece. I noticed the saree guard but no side footrest. I suppose there is no way to mount one to the frame. It can't form part of the current saree guard which is flimsy and seems to hang from the panels. Women won't just rest their feet on it, they will use it as a step to climb on to the seat.
True, there is no footstep for climbing up and sitting on one side. Definitely can't form part of the current saree guard.

Quote:
My query is precisely about this. Has anyone carried saree clad women on the pillion? Are they able to rest their feet on the regular pillion footrest? Else how safe is it to ride pillion sideways with feet dangling in the air?
some owners have used collapsible foldable plastic stools to help in climbing and many use the road kerb to climb up and sit one side. Some have fixed aftermarket footsteps that are fixed to some point on the chassis using screws but that voids warranty.

The current footrests are good only for people sitting facing forwards only. It's almost unreacheable and too uncomforatble for people sitting sidewards.

It's definitely not safe with feet dangling in the air.

It's a different matter of fact that it is dangerous to ride pillion facing sideways even with a proper footstep and it is illegal in many countries. Of course in our country we give two hoots to safety on the road and people have been riding facing sideways since time immemorial.
Old 18th June 2022, 21:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a different matter of fact that it is dangerous to ride pillion facing sideways even with a proper footstep and it is illegal in many countries. Of course in our country we give two hoots to safety on the road and people have been riding facing sideways since time immemorial.
I think Chetak and Iqube have the footrest, but I don't like them. I think many of the Chinese knock offs with Indian/japanese sounding names offer it too. At least Ola S1 is a straight lift from the Netherlands where this sideways seated pillion is absent. But Ather is an Indian design and they should have thought of it.

I drive/ride for over 50 km every single day and my wife accompanies me half the time. She and a lot of ladies in that age group are not going to change their attire just for riding pillion. I know at least four more friends in the same situation. We are sceptical about Ola but like the Ather. This one feature prevents us from buying it. Else if we do buy it, we will have to keep another ice scooter for riding double.
Old 11th September 2023, 13:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having owned a 450 since 2019, I'd like to tell you to keep an eye on the boot light. They are known to turn yellow after some time.
Mine has turned yellow. I have asked the SC to order a replacement for me.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks