Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2022, 18:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Need a comfortable commuter with great ride quality | Is Unicorn still worth buying?

Have been using NS200 BS6 for the past 8 months to commute 40km (20km 1 side) through the busy Trichur Irinjalakuda state highway. Have put an extra layer of cushion for the seat and changed the chain and now I have got a smooth commuter with the power needed for those explosive overtakes required in our Kerala roads. Also there is a minimum guarantee of 40kmpl mileage in whatever mode you drive the bike��
Old 4th July 2022, 09:48   #32
BHPian

Re: Need a comfortable commuter with great ride quality | Is Unicorn still worth buying?

Dear TBhpians - not sure if the OP got his bike but I have a similar requirement and thought i would use the same thread rather than starting a new one.

I just crossed 40 a couple of years back and the last time I rode a bike was a decade back - a Splendor and prior to that a Caliber during my college days (which I enjoyed more than the Splendor). Have never nearly ridden the Enfields and the higher CC bikes - hence a little anxious as to if I can live with them.

My usage - will be a mix of city (couple of kms to 20-30 km trips to meet family / shopping / pick up better half etc.) and the occasional highway (breakfast rides - not more than 200 - 300 kms a day round trip). I don't intend to use it for longer multi day trips - for that it will be our car. Also no scooters as better half has no inclination to ride them and longer rides and on bad roads I have found are quite painful - even within the city.

No regular daily usage. Will be taken out twice / thrice a week. A weekend or two to nearby areas. Not much off roading but riding in Bangalore these days seems like off roading.

With that context looking to shortlist based on the following parameters

- comfortable and easy, relaxed ride (smooth clutch and gears) plus good ergonomics for me and pillion (very important)
- Good looks (retro preferred - round headlamps a la Caliber plus do not prefer the overly sporty or ostentatious designs)
- Good low and mid end for city riding. Highways - I won't go beyond 80-90 kmph (auto speed limiter will be sitting on the pillion) so something that can do 80 kmph for an hour or two with no fuss / no vibrations / heating.
- Light weight (am 5'7" and with a slight build so i prefer a light and not too tall bike for easy city rides / parking etc.) - approx 150kg max.
- Reliable and fuss free maintenance
- 40+ kmpl Mileage (nice to have but not a deal breaker)
- Budget: less than 2L OTR incl accessories (Can extend if there is a worthy contender and can make a solid case to my better half - who thinks all this is a fool's errand).

To TD - I have shortlisted the following (and a dumb question, should I buy a helmet now itself so that I can use it for TDs?)

- Yamaha FZ-X (ticks almost all boxes)
- Hero Xpulse 200T
- New TVS launch on July 6
- Honda Highness (overshoots budget and a few other considerations but lot of recommendations to atleast TD).

Anything else I should be considering for my usage / needs? Thanks much.

Nimz
Nimz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Dear TBhpians - not sure if the OP got his bike but I have a similar requirement and thought i would use the same thread rather than starting a new one.

Nimz
Yes, get a helmet and gloves. A decent Studds helmet at least. To begin with.

You’d like a nice upright riding posture, so I’d suggest you look at the Gixxer 250 and FZ-25 too. These have got more grunt than the other bikes in your shortlist, and are equally reliable too, being Japanese and all.

Do check out the X-Blade and Hornet 2.0 also. I personally didn’t like the X-Blade much, but that’s just me.
TheHelix0202 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 10:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Nimz
I did start this thread, and haven't yet bought the bike. Currently I am waiting for TVS Ronin launch. Other than that, only bikes that I felt comfortable are Unicorn (Which my wife is against stating it is too old ) , FZ X and H'ness but H'ness is an overkill for my requirement. If Ronin is priced between 1.5 to 2 lakh on road and have a supple ride quality, would be going with that. Xpulse is good choice too, but the pillion seat is too tall and small.
sreejithkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
I did start this thread, and haven't yet bought the bike. Currently I am waiting for TVS Ronin launch. Other than that, only bikes that I felt comfortable are Unicorn (Which my wife is against stating it is too old ) , FZ X and H'ness but H'ness is an overkill for my requirement. If Ronin is priced between 1.5 to 2 lakh on road and have a supple ride quality, would be going with that. Xpulse is good choice too, but the pillion seat is too tall and small.
I feel the same with Highness - an overkill. What are your views on the FZ X? This seems to tick all boxes on paper but yet to see it in flesh and TD with pillion. Any reason you are not going for it?

On Ronin - for some reason only using "zeppellin" as a search word takes you to the TVS launch site. If zepellin is going to big like their concept vehicle then that will be a bummer for me.
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I feel the same with Highness - an overkill. What are your views on the FZ X? This seems to tick all boxes on paper but yet to see it in flesh and TD with pillion. Any reason you are not going for it?

On Ronin - for some reason only using "zeppellin" as a search word takes you to the TVS launch site. If zepellin is going to big like their concept vehicle then that will be a bummer for me.
Here is the latest leaked image of Ronin: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...-july-6-424982

This do not looks like zeppellin. I was almost decided on FZ X but then the news of TVS ronin came out. Also FZ-X is costly over regular FZ by 20000 and the price is almost similar to that of other 200 cc bikes. So I decided to wait for new launches, till the end of monsoon. After September only I will be using the bike for commute due to continuous rain here in kerala. Looking at the image, TVS Ronin looks similar to FZX. So waiting for the specifications and price of the same.
Old 4th July 2022, 11:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
Here is the latest leaked image of Ronin: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...-july-6-424982

This do not looks like zeppellin. I was almost decided on FZ X but then the news of TVS ronin came out. Also FZ-X is costly over regular FZ by 20000 and the price is almost similar to that of other 200 cc bikes. So I decided to wait for new launches, till the end of monsoon. After September only I will be using the bike for commute due to continuous rain here in kerala. Looking at the image, TVS Ronin looks similar to FZX. So waiting for the specifications and price of the same.
Yes. Following the other Ronin thread as well. Let's hope and yes 200 cc at less than 2 L OTR does sound good. Fingers crossed.
Old 5th July 2022, 08:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Yes, get a helmet and gloves. A decent Studds helmet at least. To begin with.

You’d like a nice upright riding posture, so I’d suggest you look at the Gixxer 250 and FZ-25 too. These have got more grunt than the other bikes in your shortlist, and are equally reliable too, being Japanese and all.

Do check out the X-Blade and Hornet 2.0 also. I personally didn’t like the X-Blade much, but that’s just me.
Thanks for this. Will check out the FZ-25 when I visit Yamaha. My wife is not too kicked about the "pulsar type looks" of these bikes and feels they are not for us.

However I did look up reviews of the suggested bikes and FZ 25 gets good marks for pillion comfort so I will TD it.
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:10   #39
BHPian

The old CB Unicorn was a great commuter, with decent amount of low and mid range punch for the occasional speed-run. However, it also had a terrible, terrible cold start problem. You simply could not start the bike without choke, and then you had to let it warm up for atleast 3-4 minutes in order to get it to function normally. I own one, was my daily driver for over 5 years, and even in the month of June if you tried to pull away right after starting the engine it would stall.

I cannot agree with the FE figures that others are giving here. I never got more than 44 kmpl but I also like to ride fast so maybe that was a factor.

Other than these two issues, neither I nor any other family member ever faced a single issue with the Unicorn. Infact I am still running the 10 year old cables, and clutch plates, zero issues.

I cannot comment on the engine related issues of the new Unicorn 160 because I haven't ridden one. But posture wise its a solid and comfortable bike. You can go for it.
Old 6th July 2022, 14:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
The old CB Unicorn was a great commuter, with decent amount of low and mid range punch for the occasional speed-run. However, it also had a terrible, terrible cold start problem. You simply could not start the bike without choke, and then you had to let it warm up for atleast 3-4 minutes in order to get it to function normally. I own one, was my daily driver for over 5 years, and even in the month of June if you tried to pull away right after starting the engine it would stall.

I cannot comment on the engine related issues of the new Unicorn 160 because I haven't ridden one. But posture wise its a solid and comfortable bike. You can go for it.
Hi! There,

Cold start.
1.Carburetor: Check throttle brass needle jet position check it's 2nd from top.
Tune for smooth engine idle when engine is warm, by Air Fuel mixture Jet
Remove inspect clean Slow jet and Main jet
Use copper strands to clear any clogged jets and ports.
*If the inside of the carb has fuel tar or looks muddy*
Get a full carb repair kit from the OEM spares shop.
Do a full carb clean , dry and refit.
Use new gaskets and O rings.
2.Replace Air Filter
3.New Spark plug (OEM)

Take Care
Old 6th July 2022, 15:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

The other day I was chatting with my two wheeler mechanic as he was attending my Splendor. I was casually talking to him about buying a new bike for my son, and said my choice was a new Unicorn. Because I have been using my Splendor for 22 years, and my brother his unicorn for 15 years. My son doesn't want a 100 cc bike.

But the mechanic said not to buy a new Unicorn thinking it will be the same. He said the Unicorn is "gone" after BS IV, whatever that means! According to him it will be better to buy a preowned BS IV or earlier Unicorn and recondition it.

It will also be a good idea to buy a decent GS 150R if one can be found and restore it, if spares are available.
Old 7th July 2022, 07:36   #42
BHPian

Has a weird experience at the Yamaha showroom. There was no display or TD bike for FZ-X. And as usual no sales person approached me. I spotted a FZ-X kept for delivery and a service mechanic standing next to it said I could sit on it, switch it on etc. When asked if there was any TD bike he said he will see if any FZX has come for service.

Is this common in 2W showrooms? I am scared to think what would happen to my bike when I give it for service.

FZ X has a waiting period of 45 days it seems here in Bangalore.
Nimz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 09:11   #43

Interesting thread! I am in similar needs rn in Visakhapatnam and scoring for used and new bikes. Would be daily commute plus occasional weekend trips. What's the update from OP?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks