Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Generally, which are more comfortable?
Motorcycles 117 70.06%
Scooters 50 29.94%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 21:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Motorcycles vs Scooters from a comfort-oriented perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingpossum View Post
How do you manage groceries on your bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Don't know about others but I use my tb350 for grocery runs too and use the hook on the side to sling a bag. The saree guard plays perfect in guarding the bag from touching the wheel. I can actually use simple white cloth based bags too - nothing fancy. They usually rest a little on the saree guard foot rest thus enabling even heavier loads to not completely hang only by the handle of the bag - which may be flimsy.
Motorcycles vs Scooters from a comfort-oriented perspective-img_20200313_183054.jpg

Sorry if it's OT. Similar to how deep_bang has explained above, I use a heavy canvas shopping bag. I take the handles of the bag and loop it on the left side grab area of the tail rack from top and into the circled hook in the picture above. The saree guard makes sure the bag doesn't touch the wheels. I'll PM you a pic the next time I go shopping.

Last edited by shady : 11th May 2022 at 21:21. Reason: spelling correction
shady is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 23:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

To a certain extent depends on the bike/scooter in question, for me short rides = scooter, long ones = motorcycle. Have done 100+km on my Access125, but that is probably the comfortable limit for me. On Duke 200, it's 250+km easily.
Old 12th May 2022, 00:07   #18
BHPian

Motorcycles are better but do rigorous test rides. FYI, cruisers have stiff rear suspension because of shorter travel.

Since you have back pain, do not prefer used mototcycles. It is better to choose new, some thing like Xpulse 200 should suit your budhet. If you can stretch a bit try new RE classic and Honda Highness.
Old 12th May 2022, 12:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

I actually prefer motorcycles with rearset footpegs for comfort as that allows one to stand up easily for all bumps and undulations
Old 12th May 2022, 13:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Although you are young, basic fitness in the form of stretches/core exercises can help in a small way to mitigate pains and pulls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Most motorcycles will certainly be better, especially on bad roads. Since you mentioned you are a student, I assume you're still pretty young. So like a couple of posts have already said, back issues at that age indicate some deeper issue. Check with a doctor/physiotherapist as well. Could be as simple as some basic stretching exercises, lifestyle/diet changes, or if it's something more, that certainly needs to be diagnosed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Now, having said that, I get an impression that you are pretty young, may be around 20's. At that age, any sign of back pain indicates a possible deeper problem. Do get to a doc and if you are anything like I was long back, may be it's a few simple lifestyle changes to strengthen your back and you should be good to go.
Thank you all for your responses and for your concern! I did get my back checked out by the doctor who has said that there is no problem with it per se and it was just the result of the terribly stiff suspension coupled with the bumps and undulations of Indian roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post

You didn't mention your daily riding distances.

1> Since you mentioned you're sitting slightly towards the back of the seat, I'm assuming you're resting more on the curve of the seat than the flat of the seat. Am I correct? If yes, this could possibly be causing your pain. Even a slight angle can make a difference to how and where your body receives the shocks. So, try riding while sitting on the flat of the seat and see if it makes any difference to in the pain.

2> As one of the others mentioned, a slightly forward set riding position helps. Your scooter may not seat you like this naturally. But if you can lean your torso a bit forward as you ride, this makes it so that the jolts don't directly transfer to your spine, they get spread out over your torso.

3> Again, as one of the others mentioned, lift yourself up from the seat as you go over bad patches. You don't have to stand up. Getting your bum up off the seat even slightly means the impact of a hump or pothole doesn't transfer to your body.

4> This doesn't need saying, but, riding a bit calmer helps you see and anticipate the bumps and dips better and maneuver accordingly.
I do apologise for not mentioning the distance earlier. The average daily distance I cover is 25 - 30kms totally and the highest I've covered is around 82 kms. I have tried standing up over bad patches but it isn't very comfortable to do that on an Ather because it is smaller than other scooters. With regard to the seating position, I did try what you suggested on the stock seat but it didn't help so I had the seat redone but that hasn't really helped either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post

As for changing to bikes:

Stiff sprung bikes like the RTR, MT15, Hornet, Duke may not help the issue. It may just shift the recurring pain from one spot to another. ADVs may give the impression of comfort, but the grass is not always greener here. For example, the Himalayan's rear shocker is actually setup a bit stiff. And though the seat is nice and soft, it didn't help me with my back pains. But I'd suggest checking out the xpulse, the xtreme 200 and the new pulsar.
Absolutely agree with you. However I must mention that the roads aren't that bad. Its just that the Ather's suspension feels like a Duke's suspension to me because it is just ridiculously stiff and rattles even for the smallest undulations. So much so that the mirror housing bolts loosen every two months or so just because of the uneveness of the cement roads. The Himalayan's long travel suspension and fairly upright seating position would be a boon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
Bike is safe in terms of big wheels and handling. Can jump the small speed breakers.
In the TVS, I fell more comfortable in terms of seating, my bag and tiffin goes in boot so I feel light, shoes are taken care of, evening groceries can be carried easily, easy to make U turn.l, my wife can also use.
Scooter handle wobbles on bad roads, back takes a beating on bad roads ....that's it.
Thank you for your reply! I do agree that there is the practicality element that is present in the scooter. However in my case, I am the only person who uses the two wheeler and I don't really mind changing gears. We do have a car that we use for occasional grocery runs and we use Swiggy Instamart most of the time anyway Considering I'm only 21, a vehicle causing a back problem now would only lead to more complications in the future and that is why I don't want to take that risk and would prefer a comfortable motorcycle over a scooter. Cheers!

Another question I had was, do dealerships in Bengaluru sell their test ride vehicles for a discounted price? And if so, is it worth doing it?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th May 2022 at 15:37. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 16:30   #21
BHPian

Bikes like Meteor 350/ CB350 are great do it all bike, comfortable in the city and very competent on the highways. Running costs are not astronomical and upkeep is not a challenging task. You can go for a test ride. Initially, since you're riding a scooter, you might find these bikes a little heavy and may be not as flickable, but they are good handlers once you gel with it. I ride Interceptor 650 to my office on some weekdays and its a very comfortable and fun ride.
I have a scooter too but I never commute on it as my commute is 12kms one side and soft seat doesn't help. Its mostly used to get groceries or for a ride to barber etc. Backpain at your age should be dealt with proper medical attention. Take care and ride safe.
Old 13th May 2022, 09:22   #22
BHPian

If comfort is key, NOTHING I’ve had beats the Suzuki Intruder 150 for a plush ride. If 155cc would do, (it's the awesome gixxer suzuki engine so far more potent than other 150s) and you can get past the oddball look reputation, I’ve found it hands down better for comfort (upto 12 hours riding with just 2 stops) than my Mojo/Highness/Gs310/Xpulse. Only the Inazuma and Impulse I had was equal in comfort.

Do test ride it for sure, highly under rated but definitely qualified if comfort is priority!

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th May 2022 at 11:04. Reason: Poorly drafted post with SMS language. We request you to please read the Forum rules before proceeding.
AnAntinspired is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th May 2022, 10:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its obvious that motorcycles will be comfortable due to better suspension and bigger wheels.

But if comfort = CVT transmission, easy to park, easy to store things, easy to maneuver, easier for fairer sex to ride, then the answer is scooter.
Scooters rule in tight urban spaces where traffic is thick. i have voted for scooter since these things are of more importance ( give me comfort ) to me than ride quality.

I have shifted from bike to scooter since i feel its the ultimate thing in urban environment.
Scooters are getting better each day and also getting bigger wheels ( 14 incher in some cases ), so the difference in ride quality is also getting ( albeit slowly narrower ).

Last edited by silverado : 13th May 2022 at 10:27.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:38   #24
BHPian

If you ask me, for an average Indian city dweller a scooter is an absolute must in the list of automobiles that one would want to own. Cannot fathom myself navigating through Bangalore without my Suzuki Access, an absolute ease to ride with ample space for daily groceries and weekly chores. However, if one prioritizes comfort over convenience, I would a bit skeptical- especially for long distance runs.
Old 13th May 2022, 11:21   #25
BHPian

It totally depends on the context.
Riding in city traffic over short distances- Scooter is the more comfortable option.
Riding over highways for longer distances- A motorcycle with relaxed ergos would be more comfortable.
Old 13th May 2022, 12:15   #26
BHPian

For back, Bike (any, even cheap commuter ones) will be thousand times better than Scooter. I suffered from similar issue, Activa was the main culprit. I switched to Jupiter as it has better suspension than Activa. You will feel its better but still not good enough for my back issue. Then after someone's suggestion test rode and bought Platina. God! suspension of that bike is gem. After accustomed to scooter for nearly 10 years, riding Platina felt like I am floating on the road. It made so much difference to my backpain issue as well.
Old 13th May 2022, 18:57   #27
BHPian

I too have ridden many bikes and a moped and a scooter.

First ride of mine was the venerable Kinetic King100 DLX, a moped with 4 gears and a 4-stroke engine. Looked and felt like riding a TVS XL. But versatility unmatched - load carrying, low-end torque and a very good seat, adding to it a consistent, mind blowing ~90 KMpL.

Next was a TVS Sport 100cc bike, which I had to scoop out its seat to adjust to my height. No problems at all.

Sold it and upgraded to a currently active 220cc Avenger BS4.

Next came my brother's FZ. The sporty, forward leaning stance feels the scariest of all. Probably due to my 5'2'' height. Had to literally search for the gear pegs.

But let me tell you with all my heart, nothing comes close to the ride quality and seating comfort of the Avenger. NOTHING. The car-like laid back seating posture is definitely some next level. Have done 3 long distance trips [~3 hour long journeys]. Cannot imagine this on any of the other 2-wheelers that I have rode/owned in my life.

Next is my wife's TVS scooty pep. I can somehow manage riding it, but not being on the pillion, even for a minute.
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 21:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Took me back to the college days, my dad gifted an Activa to me and the suspension was horrible to say the least. Used to have a sore back and aching pain at the bottom tip of my spine (monkey bone I guess they call it).

Having ridden many bikes, can say the most comfortable (not necessarily fun) are the usual commuter bikes like the Unicorn, Pulsar 150, Splendor, Passion etc.

The trick is to make sure your back has a little bit of curve and slight bend towards handlebar, so the spine acts as a natural shock-absorber. Also, make sure the tail bone is little away from the seat, that is, don't rest your entire bum on the seat. Flat, soft seats like the one of Jupiter or Activa make you 'sink' inside the seat thereby hitting your tail- bone hard when going over bumps. Any bike or scooter that makes you sit upright is going to cause problem.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 08:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
it was just the result of the terribly stiff suspension coupled with the bumps and undulations of Indian roads.
Suggestions :
1. Do join a gym and do a complete body workout plan, nothing fancy just plain old PT and weights. It helps.

2. Get a motorcycle, scooters are meant for smooth roads and their USP is them being gearless and having on board storage.

Of the motorcycles IMO the XPulse should fit your needs well without being too heavy on the pocket.
Himalayan is also an option but the weight will be an issue while maneuvering in city traffic.

Since I had experienced a sore back due to constant scooter usage over bad roads some motorcycles I found comfortable are :
- TVS Star City : still available, unbelievable FE
- TVS Victor : Sofa like but wallowy suspension, not sure if the current iteration has that
- Honda Unicorn: it should be the XBlade now but check for any "sportiness" added to the suspension
- Suzuki GS150R : not available but the Gixxer 160 could work although I haven't ridden the Gixxer.

Same holds true for any bike in the 110-160cc range.

Do TD them over bad roads though and shortlist the one with the best riding comfort for your needs.
Sometimes the best option isn't the most popular or obvious.

Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 14th May 2022 at 09:05. Reason: rearrange
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 10:02   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have backpain, get a motorcycle. Period. Scooters are as good (or you can say worse) as auto rickshaw's. On our kind of roads where the potholes are deep and the speed bumps are tall, a scooter is not an ideal 2 wheeler. You can pretty much feel every pothole on your shoulder and back. And the worst part is that if you encounter a surprise pothole, you cannot brace yourself and stand to minimise the impact.

I ride a Suzuki Access and a Hero Xpulse - and I really hate getting onto the Access. Agreed its a very practical 2 wheeler and can carry 2 people with decent amount of luggage. But if you are going to be riding solo for the most part of it, get a motorcycle.

Do try out the Hero xPulse... it's a damn good motorcycle. Cheap, reliable, comfortable, light. It will not cure your back pain, but it will make damn sure that you wont feel it.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks