Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 08:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar N160 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Yes and I will be honest about my extreme bias on this due to my riding RE for so many years.

@bblost, if you can add this point to the original comment, it can help even out the comment there. Overall, this looks like a balanced bike.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 08:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Could this review have been done when the weather conditions were a little more conducive for such extensive and comprehensive review?
Riding a bike in itself is a quite risky on our roads. Given the amount of rains and water on the road made it only more dangerous.
Not taking away from everyone involved in coming up with such a great review, however my honest and humble request, utmost respectfully - do share such reviews, but when the conditions are more normal and conductive.
Team-BHP was invited by Bajaj for this test ride. We had to go by our allotted date, which was fixed well in advance. If it rains hard on an allotted day, we have to live with it (unfortunately). Hope we get drier days for future rides.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th July 2022 at 08:25.
Aditya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 09:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

@bblost, if you can add this point to the original comment, it can help even out the comment there. Overall, this looks like a balanced bike.
@condor,

The bike did have an issue with low end. Buyers must check it out and decide for themselves.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 10:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review. But as an ex-Pulsar owner (for over a decade), I would have loved to see reviews to have a comparo if Bajaj has improved on faults/issues known previous iterations (not aware if they improved on the recent iterations) or what other competition products offer currently. For example, the Honda Unicorn improved on every aspect with regards to my Pulsar 150cc (2004 model), which took time for Bajaj to improve in its future iterations over several years. I know that information is heavily dated, but that's exactly the information I'd like to see on official review threads like these.

Perhaps recent bike owners of Pulsar or other manufacturer based options that compete with this 160cc model would be able to add to this thread over time.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 10:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Though I am not in market for a new bike for the next 10-12 years, I like to keep a watch on what new bikes have to offer. So it is always nice to see official reviews of bikes as well!

On the low end torque, I think it has got to do with all Pulsar's inherent problem of being obese. At 154 kg the power specs are exactly same as what the original FZ16 I had back in 2012--2013 (It was the ~164cc engine then before they switched to blue-core ~149cc engine with reduced power and torque figures), BUT the weight, if I remember correctly, was just about 135kg. That made the bike extremely lively at low and mid range as the peak torque was produced at much lower rpms compared to other bikes. It was much fun to ride in cities.

As much I like Bajaj's strategy of saving costs by using the same design and components for all bikes of a family, as a owner, I feel that it takes away the individuality of a bike. In my opinion, each bike should look different and should not have similar looking siblings. As my dad likes to put: "They all look like men playing instruments in a band-party, in an Indian wedding procession"

Last edited by NiInJa : 18th July 2022 at 11:03.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:34   #21
Team-BHP Support

After being completely away from the bike scene in India all these years, I checked out the review out of sheer curiosity, just to see what Pulsars look like these days. I have/had a first gen Pulsar, now called the Classic.

First glance, it's amazing to see how the bike has evolved in looks and features. To my layman eyes, I would have no idea what bike it is on first glance. Then the rear quarter pic said it all - the familiar tank and brake lights as seen on the DTSi when it came out. Definitely a Pulsar!
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Too little. I write about this in more detail in the review.

From standstill, the second gear is just too damn lethargic for me. I hit this issue multiple times as I was riding in heavy traffic.
Don't understand why you will be in second gear from the standstill? Unless you mean when slowing down to a crawl, let's say for a speedbreaker, and then unable to proceed smoothly unless you downshift.

Also, I owned the first generation Pulsar 180 and I am unable to comprehend that in almost 2 decades Bajaj has been unable to figure out this false neutral nonsense. It's 2020 for "insert your favourite god"'s sake.
forty6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Finding an official TBHP review of the Pulsar N160 was a pleasant surprise. The overall feedback on this motorcycle from the media, seems to be largely positive. One of the journalists (Shumi maybe?) mentioned that the other platform shared Pulsars were going to be smaller than this 160. So, that probably leaves us with the updated lineup of the Pulsar N125, N160, N250 and F250.

As for the N160, its looks to be a competent product. Everything looks good, except for that hideous underbelly exhaust. How in the world did Bajaj's design team sign off on that? The Pulsar brand has lost its lustre a long time ago. Hopefully, the N160 can inject some fresh blood into it.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:32   #24
BHPian

One aspect I have always liked about the pulsar range is the component sharing between different models leading to lower overall cost of maintenance or repairs.
Old 18th July 2022, 17:05   #25
BHPian

Crisp review
Out of curiosity, how is the calibration of the self-cancelling indicators?

This is one of the things that keeps me from riding my bike (2011 Pulsar 150).
It has so unpredictable calibration of this feature -
it turns off the indicators when I'm in my most vulnerable position to get rear ended (being in the fast lane in bike and slowing down for a right turn).
So whenever I am slowing down to take a right turn/am waiting to take U-turn, I have to keep 1 eye on the console to ensure my indicators are still on.

Like a lizard whose eyes are pointed in two directions
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Pulsar N160 Review-screenshot_20220718170231_chrome.jpg  

electro-monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 09:23   #26
Team-BHP Support

Rains played a dampener, but still, couldn't dampen your & libran's spirit.

While you couldn't exploit its handling, are the new Pulsar's still front-heavy or is it agile now? Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 12:10   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Rains played a dampener, but still, couldn't dampen your & libran's spirit.

While you couldn't exploit its handling, are the new Pulsar's still front-heavy or is it agile now? Thanks.
I did not have any issues in handling. The bike is very well balanced.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 00:04   #28
BHPian

For those looking out for this bike
One of the most unbiased first ride analysis on YT -
You can always rely on Sarge's review!
vzvish91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:01   #29
BHPian

I might be a minority but I hate the look of these new headlights. I believe Yamaha started this trend and hasn't really caught on with me. They only look good from a very particular angle and something that would please a rather young audience than a somewhat more mature one.
siren373 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks