Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 17:07   #16
BHPian

Re: What bike/scooter for a middle-aged touring enthusiast?

Does the Honda cb200x meet the requirements?
Old 28th August 2022, 17:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you go back to the new RE's and look at the Meteor or the new Classic 350. Nothing will beat their comfort levels in the city or their touring abilities on the highway. Happy hunting.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 20:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would suggest you go back to the new RE's and look at the Meteor or the new Classic 350. Nothing will beat their comfort levels in the city or their touring abilities on the highway. Happy hunting.

Cheers...
+1 - Meteor is perfect for the amount of kms you put on your bikes. Another option is Himalayan - it has a really good ride quality mostly unmatched by anything in that budget range.

As you age, you can't survive compromises if you truly plan to ride on. The bike has to feel comfortable and ergonomically right else you will either lose your motivation to ride or damage your posture / back or even worse - end up with both.

Scooters are absolute no! If you are particular about the budget, go the pre-owned route. And do make sure you take meaningful test rides - sometimes all your biases disappear when you ride a bike and you end up with (happy) decisions that leave you surprised.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 28th August 2022 at 20:09.
Old 28th August 2022, 20:47   #19
BHPian

Going against the tide here and also against what you have mentioned in your opening post. However, I mean no offence and just a friendly, unwarranted advice.

I too have herniated disc in the cervical region. Have long stopped riding and even today, when the pain gets triggered it is nothing short of a nightmare.

You have already ridden a lot and I personally feel, a car would be a better option any day. Riding with spine issues and onset of arthritis for 60+ km each day can have its own adverse effects. We aren't growing younger anyway.

Do buy a bike ( would stick with the hero stable here) for shorter rides and one of those pleasure rides. But for anything more, a car might be a better option.

All the best!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 09:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
Hi,

To give an introduction I am 44 years old, working professional out of Delhi/NCR, have a cervical shoulder, and lower back, with slowly developing arthritis in the knees. Five feet eight inches and eighty kilos of weight.
However am looking to bring a new vehicle to the stable. My RE is aggravating my spondylitis
My requirements is comfort to my ageing torso, I keep speeds between 80-90kmph on highways. Am looking for a vehicle which can do the tarmac and probably carry me to Ladakh/Spiti this year without pillion and minimal luggage.
Budget is 1,80,000 INR max

My shortlisted vehicles:

Hero XPulse 200 4V - -..

Pulsar N160 - ..

Yamaha Aerox - ..

Vespa 150 -..

Aprilia SR and SXR 160 - ..

Suzuki Burgman - ..
Any Scooter may not take you safely to Leh Ladakh due to their limited range, low GC and small sized tyres.

Xpulse is very comfortable due to long travel of from suspension and soft rear ones. It is suited for Leh Ladakh also especially for solo riders.
Old 29th August 2022, 12:37   #21
BHPian

RE Meteor or Honda CB350 will be most suitable for you I think. I'm 57, and 175cm in height, and have been touring on these two bikes for a combined mileage of about 18,000 kms over the last two years in reasonable comfort.
Old 29th August 2022, 13:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If you can stretch your budget by 80K I suggest the V-STROM 250. Meets all your requirements
Thanks Sebring, however my budget does not permit till the SF. Overall its the Gixxer 250 with different body, ergonomics, but totally worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
2. Used Himalayan(If you can buy new, better wait for the 450 coming soon): It gobbles potholes and undulations like no one does. Get a recent model used Himalayan even if you have to stretch your budget by some 20k, it will be worth it.
Hmmmm 450 will be out of budget and going down the pre owned option might still be. Also anything pre-owned will be a bashed up product, barring the BS 6 versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post
Happy shopping.
I would love to get the AVJ. It's been around since I started biking seriously. If I were to replace the TB it almost has the same riding posture, a better engine (have toured on a P220, hence know the DTSI block very well), and with single channel ABS sorts the front wheel skidding issues. I still consider the Avy looks even in today's market the best true cruiser look. The only gripe is the future of AVJ with Bajaj moving to new products. The Avy is definitely going to be axed in the near future. The Avy comes the closest 2nd to the xpulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Having said all of which, given your particular requirements, you may be best off finding a lightly used Honda CBR250 - wonderful ergonomics, beautiful engine, bombproof build quality and hallmark Honda reliability. You’ll spend half the money up front, and keep the rest for any part swapping over time. And even if it lasts you just half the miles (it’ll do much more and quite easily I’m sure), you can re-evaluate options a few years down the line.
The CBR 250 is a legend, I have toured some time on this, nothing can beat it handsdown even today in my opinion. Sadly parts availability will be an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
You've answered your own question. Literally nothing else in that list or budget will satisfy your requirements more aptly than the Xpulse 4v. If my Zma that ran 80k kms without any issues is a comparison, the xpulse 4v will definitely do 120k if you keep it well. Forget everything else and buy this. None of those scooters will keep you as happy as the xpulse. Not even close.
I am looking for a long timer since do not think my bones will endure biking more than ten years at the utmost. Hence am looking to fulfill all my desires till time,money,and health permits. Regarding maintenance my TB is running at 1,20k without to the engine opened as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
Does the Honda cb200x meet the requirements?
I really liked this product and still do. I had hoped this model to be a success, as I had hoped for the AS 200 with the NS block which is a hoot to ride. The CB 200 x meets what I am looking for, upright posture, the engine can do 80-90 all day long, and Honda reliability. I am okay with the Hornet being slapped on with a semi fairing and positioned as an ADV. Actually this never was an ADV, this was more of a relaxed long distance tourer. The company and media pitched this against the ADV's which led to its failure. Have not seen a single one on the road, Honda will axe this soon hence spares and service will be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Cheers...
My budget is strictly below 1.85lacs OTR, the new RE's are above my budget, and am not interested in the Hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
+1 - Meteor is perfect for the amount of kms you put on your bikes. Another option is Himalayan - it has a really good ride quality mostly unmatched by anything in that budget range.
Thank you for sharing. New RE's are above my budget and am not planning the pre-owned route. BTW 44 is not exactly that old, unless you are in your 20's then makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Going against the tide here and also against what you have mentioned in your opening post. However, I mean no offence and just a friendly, unwarranted advice.
I feel you brother and thank you for the advice. I do own a Zest Quadrajet which too is at above a lakh on the odo in 6 years. Have run it extensively on trips. Sadly car ownership has sky rocketed above means of middle class working people like me. Just as I speak my Harman audio head unit went kaput today, and i am quoted 20k for repairs. Being on a two wheeler makes sense to me in all aspects, though i know it is not exactly a wise decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
RE Meteor or Honda CB350 will be most suitable for you I think. I'm 57, and 175cm in height, and have been touring on these two bikes for a combined mileage of about 18,000 kms over the last two years in reasonable comfort.
Thank you sir, but both are out of budget. If I had the money would have gone for a Yezdi Roadster. CB kind of does not pull heart strings, however i know it's an excellent product, the Yezdi pulls faster on the highways and is slightly more comfortable than the CB

I am also considering the NS 200 in the picture now. Though an old product, the top end/sixth gear on the NS is tempting. Yes it does have a single channel ABS and obnoxious color scheme on the current variants, also it lacks most of the technology available on competition, no LED on offer, etc.
However I purchase products based on engine performance rather than gizmos on offer, this is where the NS trumps. The 24ps is fantastic on the highways and can keep 100kmph all day long, the seating is not that sporty, with a central tachometer revving to glory right in the middle of the console (where the current generation expectation is a Bluetooth console which can show notifications), the perimeter frame was a flagship for the company and is in a class of its own.
It can do seamless city duties as a street fighter combined with being an excellent highway machine when needed.
Just not sure if Bajaj will also axe this product. The N & F lineup anyways have not taken off, it makes sense for them to update the current hot selling products.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th August 2022 at 22:07. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
SidharthaN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 22:06   #23
BHPian

Considering your requirements, I'd say get a bike with ergonomics that put you in all-around control of the bike: upright seating and neutral placed or slightly rearset pegs.

I personally find sitting upright is just a more conducive position for relieving various stresses while riding longer distances.

And neutral peg position would allow you to stand up or slightly lift yourself with ease to avoid hits from bad road conditions. The forward set pegs on cruisers makes the sitting posture very comfortable, but also makes it difficult to lift yourself to save your back\butt over bad roads or dirt.

So, I see 3 good options for you within your budget.

Xpulse 4V> This seems to be a trial-and-error platform for Hero, but they've been making confident strides with every update. Unless I put it to the rigours of competition, I don't think I'd be worried about the engine on this. Hero's 5-year warranty is also there.

The sloping seat has been an issue for me on this and the Impulse. But you can get the flat seat from the rally kit to save you some hassles if you can handle the extra height.

Pulsar 250 N> I never liked the DTSi era pulsars and never expected to like any pulsar, but the 250 ended up getting me to respect Bajaj after checking it out and testriding a few kms. It seems to be a thoughtfully made bike with just the right compromises.

This is a low-tech bike featuring technology Bajaj is extremely familiar with. So, personally, I'd not worry much about on this. Suspension and brakes felt excellent for our road conditions. And unlike the other 250s nakeds, the seat is not sloped. I think, ergonomically, the only thing wanting on this is a taller handlebar for an easier reach.

Ronin> Seems to fit your requirements almost as if tailormade. The downside is it's a new product, but it looks like a confidence inspiring effort by TVS. Seems like they went all in on this and it shows in the robust-looking build and refined ride quality.

The seating position is very comfortable. The footpeg is slightly forward set. It's not cruiser-like, but doesn't offer a good position for standing up either. But it felt good enough for easily getting yourself off the seat momentarily if need be. I think the soft seat and the fairly soft suspension will mitigate that need quite a bit though.

Since you were also looking for the convenience of a scooter, this offers that to some extent with the promise of needing minimal gear changes because the torque is spread evenly all across the revrange and you can pick up from very low speeds even in higher gears.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 29th August 2022 at 22:15.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 23:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Pulsar 250 N> I never liked the DTSi era pulsars and never expected to like any pulsar, but the 250 ended up getting me to respect Bajaj after checking it out and testriding a few kms. It seems to be a thoughtfully made bike with just the right compromises.

This is a low-tech bike featuring technology Bajaj is extremely familiar with. So, personally, I'd not worry much about on this. Suspension and brakes felt excellent for our road conditions. And unlike the other 250s nakeds, the seat is not sloped. I think, ergonomically, the only thing wanting on this is a taller handlebar for an easier reach.
Between the N and F250 I will choose the F, due to the added weight of the semi-fairing for better stability on the highways. Also the clip on's of the F250 are higher than the N250 handle, making seating on the F more upright. Remainder of specifications are same. The dealer at Noida mentioned they do not have any stock of F250 since the company has not released the model here, not sure if that is a bluff. Am waiting for a longer test ride on the F250.
Apart from the DTSI maybe you have not ridden the shared KTM block Pulsars, NS/RS 200, they have an altogether different fun element which is missing in the current 250's.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2022 at 06:12. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 30th August 2022, 02:13   #25

You may try driving Hunter 350 as well :
1. Its a looker imo
2. Weighs lesser vs T
3. Much lesser vibrations compared to older 350 engines below 100kmph
4. Price quiet close to the budget you are planning

Though ride seemed stiff when I did a TD.
nimz_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 20:26   #26
BHPian

So this week I visited the Hero dealer or a second time to check on the Xpulse. A different dealer this time, quoted me a lower price. Also asked for an extended test ride. Was made to sign up with Freedo (rental company which is owned by Hero) and got an Xpulse free of charge for 3 days.

The bike provided was new at 200kms on the odo, but felt a bit abused. So took a long test ride for around 100kms through highways and traffic.

Observations - I did not push the Xpulse above 85 on the expressway. I am used to a 80-85kmph on the TB and was comfortable with that. The free and high revving motor seemed a bit delayed reaching 80kmph. I used the same throttle inputs/riding style I follow on the TB. I noticed my TB reaches 80kmph faster and with less effort than how the Xpulse behaved. In city traffic there was not much difference either, except the different tractability was fun and kept me more engaged. The suspension absorbs tarmac undulations fairly well, except with bigger potholes and speed breakers there was a thud sound from the front end. The seat is narrow, hence my backside after 50 kms started paining which crept through my back to my shoulders by the end of the ride.

Overall I felt my 1 lac plus TB does 95% of what the Xpulse was doing in a slightly laid back manner. Does not make sense to put my money there. Maybe I am too used to the UCE motor character, and the cruiser feel of the TB. Had also test ridden the Jawa 42 2.1 when I had visited the Hero showroom. It felt a lot of power which I am not used to, but will get used to if I own one. The Jawa Forty Two and Classic in maroon is discontinued as per them. Also the accessories on the Jawa albeit fly-screen, headlight grill is not provided by the company. Wanted to test ride the Roadster, but sadly the errand boy had taken it to fetch lunch. Sitting on the Roadster felt more comfortable than the Jawa. For these two I have to extend my budget to 70k and break a bank. The Dominar 250 falls in this category with same power ratio and sixth gear configuration and cheaper by 70k.
A random call to RE showroom near me for enquiry, they offered me a Standard 350 with the original color scheme available without waiting periods. Does it make sense to pick up the Standard UCE. I know the J-series bullet is around the corner, but one look at the OG standard is convincing enough if someone is a retro freak like me. Again my TB will do 100% of what the Standard will do except I begin on a fresh UCE. Am not a big fan of how the J-series sounds, the sound of the UCE/AVL/CI is music to ears, and the OG Standard 350 is a collectible piece. Not sure if RE will continue with the black-golden original paint scheme. As mentioned earlier lack of gizmos is okay with the bare bones Standard, at least they have FI and single channel ABS now, and a few sensors.

Or should I check out the Dominar 250. Definitely will deliver more than expected. I can possibly look at streching my budget till there.

Last edited by SidharthaN : 1st September 2022 at 20:52.
Old 10th September 2022, 14:00   #27
BHPian

Finally got a red xpulse!!!
Attached Thumbnails
What bike/scooter for a middle-aged touring enthusiast?-img20220907160321.jpg  

SidharthaN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 16:26   #28
BHPian

Solid pick. Happy riding.
Old 15th September 2022, 14:12   #29

My dad who was in perfect harmony with your height and weight, who had two hip joints replaced, who had chronic arthritis rides an Avenger 150 Street for the last 6years and the odometer reading stands around 60,000Kms. He never complains on the comfort front at any point of time. He is using it extensively for short to long city runups ranging over 30minutes to 2hours. He found it to be the comfortable motorcycle. Add Avenger 160 Street/Avenger 220 Cruise to your list and do checkout the same. In a reliability perspective, do note that it comes with 5years/75,000Kms warranty.
If you could stretch your budget, you can get a Meteor Fireball which will be a chiseled companion for your use case.
Old 15th September 2022, 20:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirubakaran_G View Post
My dad who was in perfect harmony with your height and weight, who had two hip joints replaced, who had chronic arthritis rides an Avenger 150 Street for the last 6years and the odometer reading stands around 60,000Kms. He never complains on the comfort front at any point of time. He is using it extensively for short to long city runups ranging over 30minutes to 2hours. He found it to be the comfortable motorcycle. Add Avenger 160 Street/Avenger 220 Cruise to your list and do checkout the same. In a reliability perspective, do note that it comes with 5years/75,000Kms warranty.
If you could stretch your budget, you can get a Meteor Fireball which will be a chiseled companion for your use case.
Already bought a Xpulse

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks