Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure - Ownership Review

Congratulations on bringing home an amazing motorcycle!

A close friend has the Yezdi and I have had the good fortune of clocking many a miles on this machine. So much so that the wife now prefers the Yezdi Adventure over the Mojo!

The suspension just gobbles up anything you throw at it! I am especially a fan of how well this thing handles despite the 200kg kerb weight and larger tyres.

I find it much easier to push it around in parking lots compared to the Mojo, which is probably because of the lower Cg and lower seat height vis a vis the latter.

My cousin owns a Dominar. I can tell you straight up, the Domi doesn't hold a candle to the Adventure's handling (both in curves and in the city) !

IMHO, besides the fit and finish and refinement, another area where the Yezdi misses out is in mid range and top end engine performance. Despite claiming the same power figures (30 BHP and 29 Nm) as my BS3 Mojo and a larger bore (334 cc vs 293 cc), the Mojo still outruns the Yezdi on the open highway!

Despite these minor shortcomings, I can't help having thoughts of replacing the Mojo with the Adventure (Such blasphemy, I know! ).

The Yezdi is more effortless to live with on a daily basis. It handles bad roads and ghats much better.

Yes, for long stretches of open highway, the Mojo is less tiring (due to the better top end and refinement). But once the roads turn bad, all attributes of the Yezdi take over!

Here's a pic with the two on a recent ride to Pawna Dam. We went two up on both bikes and the ladies simply refused to get on the Mojo's pillion seat thereafter!

Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-img_20220812_19084801.jpeg
AlQuazi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:34   #17
BHPian

Re: Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
Congratulations on bringing home an amazing motorcycle!
Thank you, grandpa! (since the Yezdi has the Jawa Perak engine which is based on the Mojo engine).

You should probably hold on to the Mojo even if you get the Yezdi, for the possible investment appreciation factor. I have to agree with you, the turning radius of the Yezdi is unbelievable, just like some 150cc bike compared to the Dominar, which feels like a small car in comparison. The pillion refusing to get on the other bike is the ultimate stamp of approval.

I know it sounds kinda stupid but I have to ask, am I worrying too much about the top speed? Not that I am going to ride around at those speeds at all times but I do want it to have that capability when I find myself on a long open highway.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:34. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Boringrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 20:49   #18
BHPian

Re: Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review

Thank you for the insights mate. Like your philosophical take on problematic issues
Hope Classic Legends improve on their fit and finish for their otherwise reasonable offerings.

I have a CB 350 and found the service and support from Bigwing Network amazing. The only issue is that they are few and far between and non City dwellers do have a problem of accessing one.
On test ride, the Yezdi Adv felt like a 'ready for the rough and tumble' offering. But it was a tad too heavy and unrefined for my liking.

Looking forward to your updates after long trips and post service experience when you can rip the bike a bit more.
ram1kv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringrider View Post
I know it sounds kinda stupid but I have to ask, am I worrying too much about the top speed? Not that I am going to ride around at those speeds at all times but I do want it to have that capability when I find myself on a long open highway.
The bike will touch 130ish kph easily, beyond which things slow down and it might eventually touch 140 kph. What this also means is 110 kph to 120 kph is something it will do all day. IMO this is sufficient for Indian highways of even the best type.

On the few occasions I've done Bangalore to Pune on the Mojo, those are the speeds I've stuck to.

Hope this helps!
AlQuazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of bikes have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-ya.png
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
What this also means is 110 kph to 120 kph is something it will do all day.
Whaaaat? 110 to 120 easy? I start doing 80 and the vibes already feel a bit much. I want some more opportunities to test out these claimed figures. Is something wrong with my bike?

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:35. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts. Thanks!
Old 9th September 2022, 14:15   #22

Hey

I also own the Yezdi Adventure in Silver and I have listed my pros and cons.

Pros
  • The bike takes all bumps very well.
  • Service Cost are relatively well priced.
  • Bike comes with Soft Luggage Stays (I Replaced with the Panniers one).
  • Engine is nice and revvy (You need to get used to the Power band).
  • Service Intervals are well spaced.
Cons
  • Meter and Navigation could have done better (wishlist Android Auto).
  • Tube Tyres are a pain to repair especially since there is no Centre Stand (when out of city).
  • Fuel Filler Cap could have been more Modern (non detachable).
Accessories
  • Mad Dog Lights and Wiring (without Splicing wiring).
  • JDR Plastic Top Box (I recommend getting the Aluminium one).
  • OEM Hand Guards.
  • OEM Tank Cage.
  • Generic Meter Scratch Guard.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:36. Reason: LIST added. Typos.
diaslemuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 22:54   #23
BHPian

Here's a little update on the bike after having done 1st service and riding a bit more.

You will be an instant celebrity wherever you go. People of all ages love giving long stares of admiration. Nobody has asked anything about the bike to me yet except for one RE Classic guy who enquired about the fuel efficiency. I happened to stop next to a guy driving a commercial mini truck and he instantly started off with the "The real gems were the old Jawas & Yezdis. The modern ones have lost that feel." Yeah ok, at least don't trash my brand-new bike in front of me but whatever. My office watchman told me about his dad owning a Yezdi around 25-30 years ago. Instant stardom and exclusivity are guaranteed when you ride a Yezdi, something which if you think about it, they have managed to retain from their olden days.

There was a time where I was having doubts over my decision of purchasing this beast because the engine felt rough around the edges even at speeds as low as 40kmph or above and the whole top speed issue. Well, safe to say, all that has vanished as the engine is opening up more & more with every passing kilometre and I am now a happy owner, all smiles. How do I know this? Because I am trying to find excuses or rather opportunities to ride it like a young boy who has got his hands on his first prized ride.

Took the bike to OMR for some "spirited riding" and boy, this thing can blast down the roads covering stupid distances all while keeping you comfortable. The entire nature of the engine itself has changed and how. The gear ratios are now wider, if that makes sense. First gear is no longer useless, and I can take it up to 20kmph, then shift up. Similar story follows with each gear, the speeds which you can now pull up to in gears have all increased a bit. The refinement is getting better but some amount of vibes are ever present at the top of the rev band.

Service Costs
Time for first service was up and the odo reading was just 650 kms. The usual engine oil, oil filter, chain clean & lube and some other minor consumables were used. No labour was charged. Total Bill - Rs. 2,081. Pretty reasonable for a bike this size, I guess. Saw an interesting promotional campaign in the service centre where they say if you ride to Ladakh, they'll take care of the service costs for you. I didn't enquire about the detailed T&C's but that's something if true. Also, they provided me free 1 year RSA even though I opted out of it at the time of delivery. Another goodwill gesture from the brand - well done!

There is one weird persistent issue which they haven't been able to resolve. Whenever I push the bike backwards from standstill, there is a squealing noise from the rear end. Also, if you push down hard on the rear seat, it makes that noise. I raised this issue and they claimed to have fixed it but it does reoccur on it's own randomly. The good difference is now that sound doesn't occur when pushing down hard on the rear seat. I was worried that the suspension might be problematic, but it doesn't seem like that. The service guy there told me it's due to dirt on the rear disc/pads and another friend of mine also suspected the same. They gave it a nice blast of compressed air to clean out any dust and it seemed to work for a few kms but by the time I was home, it happened again. I was told not to worry as it should get better with time as the brake pads bed in. No issues are observed in braking performance whatsoever. If any of you could suggest a potential fix for this, it would be wonderful.

I am enjoying every ride on this and have no regrets at all. Been taking it out for some night rides and weekend rides. The torque pull is addictive, pulls like a train! It won't scare you like a KTM or an Interceptor but that's not a bad thing either. Yes, there are times though where it masks the speeds well and I have caught myself doing speeds I normally wouldn't. Now that is a sign of a good engine to me. Some pictures to follow:
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-img20220917202247.jpg
Headlight seems adequate for now and brights up the roads well. Haven't tested out on highways though. Low Beam light
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-low-beam.jpg
High Beam Light
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-high-beam.jpg
Got my first proper bike helmet from Gears - The Helmet Boutique, Thousand Lights. The SMK Stellar, costed me Rs.4,800. Fits me nice and tight, the visor opens in a 2-stage action and requires effort. I can hear the wind noises as if I'm sitting in a theater and hearing it in a movie. Cool dramatic effect, I don't mind it. In fact, enjoy it!
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-img20220903193441.jpg

The first ride I went on was to Joe's Cafe, Mahabalipuram on a Saturday morning along with my sales advisor, his friend from another Jawa dealership and a fellow Yezdi owner (Yezdi Roadster). This was the first stereotypical biker thing I did and it felt amazing parking up the bikes in a line outside the cafe. I felt cool and like a "real biker". Some pics from the ride:
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-img20220918090956.jpg
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-inkedimg20220918091138.jpg
Saw a lot of early morning bikers riding, SBK's, RE 650 groups roaring on the ECR, a Ferrari 458 Italia, Mercedes AMG A-Class. Out of everyone, only 2 exhaust notes really stood out to my ears - one was the Ferrari which was audible from a kilometre away and the other was a Honda CBR650R which had some custom exhaust. Others were also excellent but these two clearly stood apart.

While coming back home, we took a small detour on to a side road and reached this spot for clicking some pictures, making Instagram reels and the like.
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-inkedimg20220918104433.jpg
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-inkedimg20220918104457.jpgBlessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-img20220918104554.jpg
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-inkedimg20220918104652.jpg
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-img20220918110013.jpg
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-inkedimg20220918110134.jpg

General Overall Characteristics
  • Got the clutch adjusted in the service and now it's even better. Almost like I can never stall the engine unless deliberate. I can now let the clutch go almost till the end point and then take off smoothly like any other bike.
  • Engine feels much more freely breathing now and can only get better with usage. Current reading is close to 1000 kms and it's a joy to rip the throttle wide open.
  • Comfort is good. While doing the ECR ride, I just wanted to ride endlessly and never return home. Perfect weapon for long distance touring. I need to start making more plans
  • Fuel efficiency is around the 26-27 kmpl mark I estimate. I can push it till the last drop and get an exact reading but I haven't done it yet simply out of laziness. However, it does give the mental comfort to ride quite some distance even after all fuel bars are empty on the display. Can easily do maybe 1.5-2 kmpl more if ridden till the last drop.
  • The bike is best used on open roads and for touring/off-roading, this is a properly sized ADV. Not that it can't ride in the city. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to put this behemoth in bumper-to-bumper traffic with lots of clutch action and heat up. Although heating is considerably improved now, it still shows up in heavy traffic. Not a deal breaker for it's engine size though.
  • I have to really readjust my riding behaviours on this. While riding on city roads, I keep forgetting that other mere mortals do not have the same suspension as I do and I have found myself making real good last minute braking when vehicles slow down to tackle bad roads/potholes. I keep thinking in my head why are they slowing down that much, it's not a big deal and then it clicks in my head, "Yep"!
  • Enjoying this machine is simply getting used to it a lot. I am slowly learning the tricks of the gearbox and have found a small "hack" to avoid shifting from 2nd to 1st, back & forth in slow moving traffic. I have learnt that you can easily keep it in 2nd and maintain the revs past 2000rpm, give it a slight bit of throttle and let it go to ride around with no fear of stalling due to being in the wrong gear. In fact, even did some 2nd gear starts from standstill.
  • Exhaust note has also opened up a bit. I can hear subtle and minute burbles while decelerating from higher speeds. It's very subtle though and only if you listen closely, you can listen to it. A very muted and thick heavy sound cutting through the air! Just love that feel.
  • I'm a stock guy and have not planned any mods neither will look into any. Just got a Bobo phone holder as the directions on the console via the yezdi app is not my cup of tea. I want a proper Google map display so that renders the entire Bluetooth connectivity feature meaningless. The MapmyIndia directions don't feel right, the app is clunky to use and I have lost my way by making quite a few wrong turns so it's a no-go from me. Some people can use it effortlessly though, just not me.
  • The RUST - oh yeah, did you read that right? On a less than 2 month old bike? Yep, I can't leave this part out despite all the praises as it would be dishonest then. There is some rust on the inner threading of the screws at one part of the tank cage. The service center guys admitted this fault and it's somewhat of a commonly known issue among the newly launched Yezdi's as well. For now, I am spraying WD-40 on it, cleaning the rust out and spraying black paint on it again. This is the only solution for now. The saving grace (if you will call it that) is there is nothing on the bike itself and since the cage is an accessory, it can be replaced if it gets really worse. I did take the extended warranty for peace of mind in such situations and hopefully I don't have to use it for anything.

Final Verdict - Fully satisfied with the product and everyone is sleeping on this. Really, keyboard warriors who have never ridden or experienced these machines but will reject the bike based on negative online reviews have no business telling you what it is and isn't. The current crop of Jawa/Yezdis have insane potential to be the cult they used to be again. But it's also nice to know that what I own has a very high chance of remaining an exotic and a good one at that.

And then, don't complain that the Indian market is lacking and it's all the same cliche stuff all over again across brands. Yes, that is true from an enthusiast perspective but then if the crowd refuses to reward the actual bikes with character, who dare to do something different, then it's not entirely the brand's fault either. If you're ready to look past the initial sales disaster and experiences, these are good products in their current avatars.
There is nothing like this in the market and it has its own character. After all, it's a Yezdi. You can take it inter-city touring/or to Ladakh/Himachal right from the showroom if you have the essential accessories (and if you can bear the first 1000 kms with the engine). I don't see many other bikes actually capable of this.

Yes, hold the manufacturer accountable where they're at fault and have design flaws but there seems to still prevail a lot of negative sense about Jawa/yezdi in general. They're seriously not as bad as people online make it to be otherwise, they would be dead on arrival and an utterly miserable business flop. Either way, you have the chance to own something niche and that niche has never been so accessible which is kind of a paradox. I'll keep updating my journeys on it and have some real good long-distance destinations in mind.

Bonus Trivia
The bike has something called Limp Mode. What it does is when the engine temperature overheats or something goes wrong in the engine, the engine will restrict itself to 4000rpm and won't rev past that until you get it fixed. Honestly, I don't think anyone would have the guts to continue riding an overheated engine. Our instincts tell us to stop on the side and let it cool down but hey, this is something for all you bravehearts.

The newer batches are now produced with the engine stickers/branding as displayed on the Yezdi website. I have ordered a set to install on mine as well but no update on when it will reach or did they even place the order. It costs a negligible Rs.100.

A final, parting shot of 2 rides - both having sky high levels of sentimental value to me. One being the ride to introduce me to the world of 2 wheels and one being my first actual "big bike". (please don't fight me on the definition of big bike again, it's big to me haha)
Blessed are the curious for they will have the Yezdi Adventure | Ownership Review-inkedimg20220828155712.jpg
Boringrider is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 12:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaslemuel View Post
Cons
Meter and Navigation could have done better (Wishlist Android Auto)
Tube Tyres are a pain to repair especially since there is no Centre Stand (When out of city)
Fuel Filler Cap could have been more Modern (non detachable)
Congratulations on picking an awesome bike! I agree with the cons you have posted. I got a mobile holder as I prefer Google maps over anything else. Maybe asking for Android Auto in this price segment is still a few years away.

My sales advisor told me there is a solution available, some kind of paste which they'll apply inside the tyres and convert it into a tubeless effectively. So you can check those out.

I don't mind the fuel filler cap, retro feel all the way!
Boringrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 19:40   #25

Quote:
Maybe asking for Android Auto in this price segment is still a few years away.
Actually Android Auto as an accessory is not a expensive affair. You can find Android auto on Aliexpress (wish it gets unbanned) for as low as 12K.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=Snkuy5GmPrVr

The Conversion thing i checked with some and due to coating on the rim or the type of rim the sealant isn't as good as they want (Spoke with HDT customs and also another mod place) if you find something let me know.

Fuel Filler I also don't mind but a little stow away while you fill would be a attention to detail but so much better.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
diaslemuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 01:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaslemuel View Post
Actually Android Auto as an accessory is not a expensive affair. You can find Android auto on Aliexpress (wish it gets unbanned) for as low as 12K.
For 12k, you could buy a cheap Android phone and use that as your navigation device if you're concerned with your primary phone being on there. Or you could get a standard phone mount, like the rest of us.

For the tyre sealant, you can check out Formula X. It costs around Rs.2,000 and has good reviews online.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 26th September 2022, 09:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
For 12k, you could buy a cheap Android phone and use that as your navigation device if you're concerned with your primary phone being on there. Or you could get a standard phone mount, like the rest of us.
On that off-topic of mobile used for navigation :
True that. For navigation purposes, its better to use an older phone or buy a cheaper one, which could be mounted on bike. Avoid using your primary phone (mostly an expensive, used for photography), because over time the vibrations would damage the some sensors. On this forum and outside I've come across people complaining the camera stabilization not working or battery not holding much, etc.
Another issue is - seen several cases that phone fell-off from bike - either got damaged or lost ! This has happened even with using best of mounts, accidents happen !! So instead keep the primary phone secured in tank-bag or inside jacket's zipped pocket.
For Internet on that cheaper phone, two options :
a) Put a SIM from different provider than your primary one - to get better overall coverage.
b) Simply enable Wifi hot-spot from primary phone - battery of both would drain bit faster.

Regards,

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:38. Reason: Spacing, typos.
pcpranav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 13:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Avoid using your primary phone (mostly an expensive, used for photography), because over time the vibrations would damage the some sensors.
As far as I've read online, that is only an issue with iPhone. I've not seen Android phones complaining and these Swiggy/Zomato/Dunzo guys regularly use it on a daily basis so it shouldn't be an issue on Android I guess.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:38. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
Old 26th September 2022, 17:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I've read online, that is only an issue with iPhone. I've not seen Android phones complaining and these Swiggy/Zomato/Dunzo guys regularly use it on a daily basis so it shouldn't be an issue on Android I guess
Many of those delivery guys use basic android phone, which itself is not a complicated system. On other side, we tend to use high-end phones, hi-res photography capable - so I'll protect it likewise .

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2022 at 20:37. Reason: Typos.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 12:56   #30
BHPian

Wow. Loved the way you have modified your Mojo's faring. It looks nicely integrated and with the color combination I was reminded of BMW's Funduro 650 that had been introduced in India way back in 1996 if my memory serves me well.

I have heard stories of Mojo owners swearing by their bikes but I wonder what went wrong with such a lovely product, especially after a fairly good effort been put by Mahindra. I thought they should have endured a bit before deciding to shut their two wheelers business all of a sudden. In future if they were to get any good bikes, I am not sure many like me would trust them. Same case I feel for Jawa and now Yezdi, although I loved how the bkes look, especially the Yezdi bikes.
samee_arian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks