Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2023, 23:58   #16
BHPian

Re: My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience

An update on the Interceptor.

The Xpulse Pro has taken over daily commuting duties from the 650.

After contemplating on them for the last 3 years, I have finally added the stainless steel slip-ons from Powerage.

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230827-10.12.01-pm.jpeg

Just as expected, they made the bike fun to ride again, adding character and a sweet exhaust note. Even feels faster, maybe that's just in my head. This exhaust sounds stock at idle and starts to open up around 3k rpm. I do not intend to take off the baffles to know how they sound. Fit and finish seem great, could have saved some bucks with the mild steel but I dig the look of brushed stainless steel. Damage to the wallet 17k. In the future, I will probably get the big bore headers from Powerage in the same stainless steel finish. Hopefully, turn it into a bore bore as well :P

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230827-10.12.00-pm.jpeg

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230827-10.11.54-pm.jpeg

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230827-10.11.58-pm-2.jpeg

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230827-10.11.55-pm.jpeg

I also picked up an air filter from Schrol but I have not installed it yet because I am worried about leaning out the fueling, if I install it now. Damage to the wallet 2.8k

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230827-11.52.47-pm.jpeg

I've noticed the oil level has dropped to the lowest mark on the oil window so I topped it up with about 300-400 ml of Motul 7100, it is now at the mid-level mark. I've also ordered 4.5 litres for my next change with some extra for top-ups. Damage to the wallet 4.5k

So far, I've done around 5k on this oil which was last changed in August 2022. I think I can run it for another 1500-odd km.

Should I be looking at the Fuel X Pro?

Before I get into mods, I must tell you that the ABS light which used to flicker at idle now does not come on. Sometimes the battery light comes on while riding the motorcycle but when I put off the headlight or give it some revs, the battery warning light goes away. Some electrical gremlins I need to sort out. Maybe the rectifier or battery needs to be replaced or maybe the relays. Don't know yet.

Coming to the mods, my experience with the Xpulse Pro has led me to start looking at footpeg extenders and controls for the Interceptor. The stock footpegs now seem a little rear-set to me with a tighter angle on my knees to ankles making me sit in an angle that I feel is not completely upright, transferring shocks to my spine over bad roads, though I've never faced the issue of the stock footpegs banging into my shins like almost everyone complains about. Way2Speed makes footpeg and control extenders but I will not be able to straddle with them. Anyone suggestions?

I am also looking for suspension upgrades from Way2Speed for the front and rear - anyone who has them, please post your feedback. Should I only go for the front or does it make sense to do both front and rear?

Oh yes, and my tires also probably need to be replaced, I have done around 15k km on the stock Pirellis. I am looking for tubeless tire options. Please suggest tubeless tires that offer good grip, durability, and are also good with soft-roading for the occasional ride off the tarmac. The Way2Speed tubeless kit installed a year ago is holding strong.

So in the list of things, the first fix needs to be to sort out the electricals.

Second the tyres and then the footpegs extenders and suspension.

I'm keeping the air filter and fueling for the last. What do you think?

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 28th August 2023 at 00:10.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 06:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
I also picked up an air filter from Schrol but I have not installed it yet because I am worried about leaning out the fueling, if I install it now.
I think we're both riding the same generation of the Interceptor (Mine is late 2019). The ECU is capable of adapting to a certain degree or tolerance to which the manufacturer has set as limits. I wouldn't worry about leaning out fuel delivery. If it does that, you'll feel it at the throttle. You can always switch back to stock.

I use a similar filter with the open bracket from way2speed. I'm also running with a AEW TE102 exhaust. There is a slight reduction in torque and you do notice it. On the plus side, it took away some of that snappy throttle response which I find annoying at city speeds. When you wring open the throttle, there is a nice intake note. Its a great pairing and I enjoy riding the bike more than I ever did.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 09:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before I get into mods, I must tell you that the ABS light which used to flicker at idle now does not come on. Sometimes the battery light comes on while riding the motorcycle but when I put off the headlight or give it some revs, the battery warning light goes away. Some electrical gremlins I need to sort out. Maybe the rectifier or battery needs to be replaced or maybe the relays. Don't know yet.

So in the list of things, the first fix needs to be to sort out the electricals.
If the battery light comes on when you're stationary and idling (at say a traffic light), it could indicate that the RR unit is on its way out. Had similar symptoms before my RR unit had to be replaced.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 10:42   #19
BHPian

So, a small update on the 650.

I've been using the bike on a regular basis for short commutes and rides since installing the Powerage slip ons. The 650 wasn't getting used as much since the Xpulse Rally came home.

I try to use this motorcycle as much as I can in the day time so I don't have to use the headlight and with that the battery indicator light issues seems to have gone away. Maybe it just needed to be charged?

I did take the motorcycle to a couple of mechanics to find out if there was an electrical issue but they were reluctant since they said the battery is located deep inside the bike and it requires alot of work, etc among other excuses.

Long story short, the problem seems to have resolved itself and since my last post I've not seen the battery light come on or have the motorcycle stall on me even on the nights when I use it with the headlight on. I guess the motorcycle just needs to be used more.

I have shelved my plans of footpeg relocation after confirming with Melwin that it would not be advisable to saddle the motorcycle with them as they are not built to take that kind of weight. Suspension upgrades have been put on the backburner too for the moment.

I have however come across a seller for a used Fuel X Pro for less than half the price of a brand new one, the product is still under warranty and I plan to meet him, install and purchase it if all goes well this weekend. While I am at it, I also plan on swapping out the air-filter to the the Schrol aftermarket air filter I purchased earlier. Not really sure what to expect after this - I've read some posts saying it turns the motorcycle into a rocket and others seem to claim a big hike in milage and torque. But its something I've had on my mind for a while now and since I am getting it at a good price I hope it is worth it.

I have also noticed a slight leak on the slip-joint on the Powerage slip on exhaust but have not had much luck on finding a fix, if anyone has been able to plug this leak please suggest what I can do. As you can see my order of priority of mods has changed:

Fuel X Pro
Air Filter
Plug Exhaust leak

In the near future I will look at:
Front and rear tyres from Vredestine
Front suspension dampners from Way2Speed
Front suspension oil change
Rear suspension springs from Way2Speed

And if the electrical gremlins come back then:
Battery, RR unit and Rectifier replacement/ fix.

An oil change and regular service is also due in another 1500 kms.

Let me know what you think about the mods I have lined up and if you have any suggestions. Am I setting myself up to throwing money unnecessarily on this machine because of a case of too much riding between the ears and not enough on the road? Its a thought that I do ponder at times.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 21st September 2023 at 10:49.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 13:17   #20

The seats look large and comfortable. How is the pillion comfort on it? Is it a custom made one? I have a similar one which I got from Sahara seat but they aren't waterproof. Can you share more details on this particular seat that you have installed.
Old 21st September 2023, 14:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrikanth G View Post
The seats look large and comfortable. How is the pillion comfort on it? Is it a custom made one? I have a similar one which I got from Sahara seat but they aren't waterproof. Can you share more details on this particular seat that you have installed.
The few pillions i have taken are not very comfortable. I guess they need a back rest which I have not installed and the rear pillion footpeg extenders.

The seat is custom made to my requirement and dimensions from Rao seats in Bangalore.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 15:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
So, a small update on the 650.

Fuel X Pro
Air Filter
Plug Exhaust leak
Hi there,
I recently got myself a 2021 pre loved interceptor orange crush which has done 7k kms.
Being in a similar boat, i opted for a remap instead of fuel x, the bike runs much cooler and doesn't have a snatchy response.I have a feeling the fuel x works only on closed loop and not so very much helpful, does not optimize real time.
I went with AEW stainless steel exhausts which were running at 15k and purchased them directly from shakil. Infact when i had a long conversation he guided me on just keeping the stock filter and upgrading the slip on mufflers, he was not keen on the front bend pipes also as he has had feedback of CEL light coming on.I do not know the rationale behind this but something to do with the O2 sensor i believe.
I have kept the stock filter and i think you should go the same way.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I've noticed the oil level has dropped to the lowest mark on the oil window so I topped it up with about 300-400 ml of Motul 7100, it is now at the mid-level mark. I've also ordered 4.5 litres for my next change with some extra for top-ups. Damage to the wallet 4.5k

So far, I've done around 5k on this oil which was last changed in August 2022. I think I can run it for another 1500-odd km.
I have the same bike as you do, I'm running on a moto wings slip on + air filter combo. My oil consumption is quite high, and yours seems to be the only other bike that I have come across on the forum that is reporting some oil consumption. Do keep track of it.
Mine needs around 400ml every 1500 kms or so. Consumption is lower during highway runs and jumps up during city commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi there,
I recently got myself a 2021 pre loved interceptor orange crush which has done 7k kms.
Being in a similar boat, i opted for a remap instead of fuel x, the bike runs much cooler and doesn't have a snatchy response.
Could you share details on the remap - what maps were changed? by whom? what is the cost?
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 17:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi there,
Being in a similar boat, i opted for a remap instead of fuel x, the bike runs much cooler and doesn't have a snatchy response.I have a feeling the fuel x works only on closed loop and not so very much helpful, does not optimize real time.
I went with AEW stainless steel exhausts which were running at 15k and purchased them directly from shakil. Infact when i had a long conversation he guided me on just keeping the stock filter and upgrading the slip on mufflers, he was not keen on the front bend pipes also as he has had feedback of CEL light coming on.I do not know the rationale behind this but something to do with the O2 sensor i believe.
I have kept the stock filter and i think you should go the same way.
FuelX runs the system just like stock, except that the rider has the option to change the fuel mixture on the go, in case of Fuel X Pro. It works on a closed loop system and pumps in more fuel depending on the setting you are on. (1-10, lean to rich). When you are on full throttle, the system goes into open loop, just like stock. And yes, it DOES optimize real time which is the USP of it. There is no power gain here, just rideability improves.
I have been using it for a while now and I leave it at the 8th setting for city and reduce it on the highway. The engine is super smooth and there is no hint of heat. The best part is that it feels like driving a diesel vehicle in low revs. There is no snatchy throttle and I can open up from low to mid revs with a pillion, effortlessly in higher gears.
I have a slip on muffler and a performance air filter as well, but with the stock cover. The performance filter helps for sure since it gets in more air for that fuel to burn and hence better efficiency. No major hit to fuel efficiency, I still get 32 kmpl on the highways keeping speeds around 100 kmph and in city it is around 23-24 kmpl.

I am also keen on the map you have since you mentioned FuelX works on closed loop system, so does the map you have not take the O2 sensor feedback into consideration? Also what kind of fuel efficiency do you see in city and on the highways?

WolfMoto does have a remap for the 650's , but with the rest of the bike stock, I decided not to go for it as that is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by tharian : 21st September 2023 at 17:36.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 20:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
And if the electrical gremlins come back then:
Battery, RR unit and Rectifier replacement/ fix.
And the battery warning light came on again today on a short ride with the headlight on

So first priority is to get this fixed tomorrow.
Old 22nd September 2023, 06:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Could you share details on the remap - what maps were changed? by whom? what is the cost?
I opted for wolf moto remap for interceptor.I am running their map.
It costed me 22k.
The bike revs freely,is much more fun to ride then stock bike.Pulls effortlessly.
scorpian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
And the battery warning light came on again today on a short ride with the headlight on

So first priority is to get this fixed tomorrow.
Have you looked at novatronix aho switch. It switches off the headlight within a few seconds rather then keeping it on all the time.
Not promoting the company but seems like a good product.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am I setting myself up to throwing money unnecessarily on this machine because of a case of too much riding between the ears and not enough on the road? Its a thought that I do ponder at times.
You should ask Powerage on why there is a leak. If it was designed to be a straight fit, there should be no leak. Worse case, cut a coke can or slip a piece of tin in between. Thats the only way.

Lazy mechanics is all I can say. Takes 5 minutes or less to get to the battery. They should be able to get to it quicker as they work faster.

My riding pattern is such that I do one long trip and the bike goes into hibernation for weeks. Before I head out again, I charge the battery. I've left a battery tender cable which allows me to charge the bike without taking any panels off and more important, allows to check voltage with a multimeter easily. You can do the same.

I have ignored the low battery light issue for two years now. It comes and it goes. Once in a while the bike takes a second or two longer to crank. Does not bother so much as I'm not straining the starter to low voltage situations as often. You can change the battery. I would not waste money on the Rectifier or Regulator Rectifier unit without confirming that it is actually faulty.

I can't comment on suspension as I have no experience with after market units. I am sure it can be improved. I like the front soft as the roads are uneven and bouncy in New Zealand. The rear can be better dampened and for now I want to meddle with their settings before pulling them out.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 19:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Have you looked at novatronix aho switch. It switches off the headlight within a few seconds rather then keeping it on all the time.
So I am running the BS3 headlight switch on the right side of the handlebar from the classic 350/500 I think, it is a straight fit with some stock RE couplers, no wire splicing required. Every time the battery warning light came on, this allowed me to switch off the headlight, and like magic that battery warning light would go away and I would be able to get back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You should ask Powerage on why there is a leak. If it was designed to be a straight fit, there should be no leak. Worse case, cut a coke can or slip a piece of tin in between. Thats the only way.

Lazy mechanics is all I can say. Takes 5 minutes or less to get to the battery. They should be able to get to it quicker as they work faster.
Well, I finally found the time of a good mechanic close to home to help me address the electric issues and the exhaust leak. If someone has the contact of Powerage I would be glad to complain.

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230922-7.36.48-pm.jpeg

He checked the battery with a multimeter and all was well - showed above 12 volts and would crank at around 11. After this basic check, he couldn't find any issue with the battery or rectifier but I insisted that he give it a once over, so he scrubbed the battery terminal leads with sandpaper, cleaned the grease out of the relays with an electric contact cleaner, pulled out and checked all the fuses, and cleared an error code that showed up on the OBD scanner. And with that, the electrical gremlins seem to have gone away. It's not a lot of work to check these things out, I guess some mechanics just need the motivation or are plain lazy. His work saved me money on a new battery and a rectifier that I was expecting to buy.

The exhaust leak was really bad, Powerage claims that it is a straight fit requiring no gasket of any kind and this is not true. There were leaks around the mounting flange, making air leak and it was loud.

Managed to convince the mechanic to figure out a fix, he cut up an old aluminum can and used it as a gasket. Thanks for the tip! The exhaust note is a lot more muted now, I can hear the whine of the motor, and the throttle response is much better - just feels tighter and more responsive.

Road back home with the headlight on and enjoying the subtle exhaust note and throttle response. All seems to be well. No battery warning lights so far.

Tomorrow I head to Race Dynamics to get the Fuel X Pro and the Schorl air filter on. Hope all goes well.

Also, I did some reading up about open-loop VS closed-loop FI systems and found this link interesting. I do not plan to turn the Interceptor into an all-out racing machine, just one with a little more oomph than the standard ones out there.

https://motofomo.com/open-loop-vs-cl...0and%20so%20on

I also hope the Fuel X Pro does not cause any electrical complications since I just seem to have gotten over one.

Surprisingly for a product that is marketed so aggressively and with plenty of videos on YouTube, I have yet to find a proper professional review or content that speaks with numbers - a dyno chart - and expected results to clearly explain in layman's terms why the Fuel X Pro is better than stock, the Fuel X Lite or the Booster plug.

Essentially from this article, the Fuel X Pro is a glorified Booster Plug that helps bump up fueling on a closed-loop circuit which is active during low to mid-level throttle openings. Does that mean that when I go WOT the Fuel X pro setting gets negated and it switches to Open Loop? Will I feel the benefits of the extra fueling only at small throttle openings? I am clear on the fact that I need to bump up fueling since I am running a slip-on and will be installing the Schorl air filter which will lean out the standard air-fuel ratio which is why I am going ahead. I hope in the future the Fuel X Pro will also help with fueling if and when I switch to big bore headers and/or a high lift cam. I also understand that the Fuel X Pro can be used in tandem with the Powertronic ECU which is an Open-Loop system.

My limited understanding so far tells me that the Fuel X Pro addresses Fueling - like tuning a carburetor - more efficiency - not full power.

https://powertronicecu.com/product/f...650-2017-2023/

The Powertronic ECU addresses Ignition timing and keeps the motorcycle on an Open Loop Fuel Map - less efficiency - full power.

https://powertronicecu.com/product/p...teor-650-2023/

Together the Fuel X Pro should address fueling in the closed loop and the Powertronic ECU should address ignition timing and a fuel map during Open Loop. Am I right?

If there is anyone who has done these mods to their Interceptor in a step-by-step process or can break this down into layman's terms that would be great to read.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 22nd September 2023 at 20:11.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 19:27   #30
BHPian

Quick update:

After trying in vain to book high-security registration plates online last night, I eventually took the easy way out and booked the mandatory HSRP license plates from a RE showroom close by. I had not opted for the HSRP plates offered for an extra price during purchase. With the new law now in effect, I went to place my order for them and was told that the order had already been placed during my purchase of the motorcycle and they would have to place an order for a replacement. I don't know how this is possible since I haven't ordered HSRP plates for the Interceptor before. Anyway, paid 700 bucks, the plates should be ready by the first week of October.

Came back home and tried to get off some oxidization off the left side engine casing, unluckily for me, the motor was hot and my knee touched the header for a fraction of a second which peeled my skin off immediately - so I'm now nursing a small burn on my knee. Ah, the pleasures of touching the Interceptor after it runs even for 5 minutes - I've lost count of the number of burns this motorcycle has caused me. I'm secretly hoping that one of the benefits of the Fuel X will be fewer burns since it claims to make the engine run cooler.

After some Burnol and silver nitride my next stop was Race Dynamics in Koramangala for the Fuel X install. I bought this as a used product at half price from the owner, the product is still under warranty and I preferred getting the product installed at Race Dynamics to ensure that I'm not buying a lemon. The installation was done in less than 30 minutes and the installation cost was 900 bucks - a little steep if you ask me but peace of mind is priceless right? I now have the invoice of purchase, a valid warranty, and an invoice for the installation at RD. Dealt with Jawaad and Sommaiah and the experience was pleasant.

A small hick-up was when they were trying to install the Schorl air filter - the metal mesh cut through the silicone that holds the ends in place. I didn't expect this product to be so fragile and of such cheap quality. The product quality does not even match that of the OEM RE paper air filter which is far more rugged and durable. I am extremely disappointed with this purchase what with the tall claims of 1,00,000 km warranty, high filtration, washable and reusable, etc. The silicone used is extremely brittle and the product finishing is extremely poor. The stock RE air filter costs less than 400 bucks and is far better built than the filter from Schorl that cost me 2,800 bucks that's just gone to waste. Honestly, I got conned into buying it because it had a German-sounding name, I then found out it was made in Pune by some company called Small Spark and had a Pune-based dealer on a 650 WhatsApp group list out some lengthy filtration tests and certifications the product had to I was convinced. Anyway, I have reached out to Amazon, so I am hoping for the best which would be a refund in this case. I will probably just buy a BMC air filter.

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230923-6.38.51-pm.jpeg

I couldn't make out too much of a difference with the air filter and the Fuel X Pro installed today in terms of outright performance. The engine revs out a little more but does not seem to be going too much faster, I might have lost a little bit of torque with the air filter. The sound seems to have changed and is a little more rumbly now, I noticed an improvement in torque and the motorcycle seems more responsive. All these gains are marginal and not earth-shattering. The motor seems to be running cooler on the way back than when I riding to Race Dynamics. I am running the Fuel X Pro right now on its 8th setting. Will play around with it and see what I like best. It's a cool little gadget, something to play around with fueling.

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230923-6.38.50-pm-1.jpeg

I also have noticed alot of Interceptor owners selling their 650s and buying the 390 Adv, infact the chap who sold me the Fuel X also moved to a 390 adv after clocking close to 50,000 kms on the Interceptor. I'm not sure what to make of it. And which the Xpulse Rally as my other ride I think I've got my needs covered.

On the way back home, I stopped to hang out with fellow TeamBHPian Tharian to show him the bike. We swapped rides and road to a tea shop close to my place. Overall, other than for the hick-up with the air filter I am pretty happy with how the Interceptor is turning out. It sounds great and looks good to me. The seat may be a little ugly but more importantly it suits my riding style and my rear end. The touring seat on Tharian's 650 looks sweet.

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230923-6.38.50-pm-2.jpeg

I've just ordered the NGage air filter from BikeNBiker. Costs 3100 with delivery. They were recommended by RD.

Will be using the air-filter with the snorkel cover since I do not want issues of water ingress during the rains.

https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...wins-650-ngage

I will look at the suspension, tyres and Powerage headers later - a progression of small steps along the way.

My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230923-7.26.29-pm.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
My Royal Enfield Interceptor Mark III BS6 Ownership Experience-whatsapp-image-20230923-6.38.50-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 23rd September 2023 at 19:50.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks