Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 19:23   #1
BHPian

Fuel-efficient BS6 Touring Bikes

Hi all

I have the theory that 250-350 cc class bikes at 80-100 kmph highway touring speeds will be the most fuel efficient giving out 35+ kmpl mileage.

Now I am really interested which class will have the lesser carbon footprint while touring at 100-120 kmph. Obviously the bikes that can do this should not be only judged on this parameter alone but I feel its a good effort to be as ecological as much as possible while still trying to feel happy in life.

Please share your experience regarding the same.

For reference: during my break-in ride on the KTM ADV 250 from Bangalore to Salem and back (400 KM trip) I got 39 kmpl. As it was break-in period I was varying speeds from 60-100 using all the gears and smoothly using all the rev band.

And recently on Yercaud trip ( 450+ km) it gave 38 kmpl at the average speeds of 80-110 kmph.
Old 14th October 2022, 07:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Fuel-efficient BS6 Touring Bikes

My Highness gives me 35 kmpl on highway runs where I am mostly sitting around 100 kmph. I’m fairly sure if I reduce it to 80-90, it should drive the mileage up to 40.
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 13:00   #3
BHPian

Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your bike. Your 250cc consumes less fuel on average than the cheapest car. Even if you upgraded to a KTM 390 or the Honda 500, it would still consume less fuel than the cheapest car. So, go for a mid-sized upgrade if you want.

If you're still worried about your carbon footprint, then think very hard about buying your next bike. Try to retain this one for atleast another decade and learn to use what you have to the fullest extent. I mean, even if your current bike returns 30 kmpl while going at 100-120, that's still a lot less emissions and overall monetary expense than what entails buying a new bike.
Old 17th October 2022, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
My Highness gives me 35 kmpl on highway runs where I am mostly sitting around 100 kmph. I’m fairly sure if I reduce it to 80-90, it should drive the mileage up to 40.
Yes a long stroke with a very lean tune like that of CB350 should be in that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your bike. Your 250cc consumes less fuel on average than the cheapest car. Even if you upgraded to a KTM 390 or the Honda 500, it would still consume less fuel than the cheapest car. So, go for a mid-sized upgrade if you want.
I feel comparing the fuel efficiency of a bike to a car does not make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
If you're still worried about your carbon footprint, then think very hard about buying your next bike. Try to retain this one for atleast another decade and learn to use what you have to the fullest extent. I mean, even if your current bike returns 30 kmpl while going at 100-120, that's still a lot less emissions and overall monetary expense than what entails buying a new bike.
Yes. It took me 3 years to decide on the KTM ADV 250. That was due to multiple reasons and not just me thinking too much .

The point of this post is to gather data from a more personal perspective and not gather data points to justify a decision just based on fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks