Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market

China-based bikemaker QJMotor is planning to enter the Indian market. The formal announcement is expected to be made later this month.

Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market-d75ca336afaeee8e32440c8fd74eb00e.png

QJMotor is part of the Qianjiang Group, which also owns Benelli. According to a media report, the brand could launch four models, including a retro-styled roadster and a cruiser to get things rolling.

QJMotor has an expansive product line-up. The company has a selection of roadsters, adventure tourers, sports bikes and retro cruisers. They also offer scooters, electric scooters and step-throughs.

In India, QJMotor bikes are expected to be sold through Moto Vault dealerships owned by Adishwar Auto Ride.

Source: Autocar India
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 21:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market

I feel that the QJMotor 500 pictured above is a straight ripoff of the Kawasaki W800. One look at the engine and, Voila!

And also, there's one cruiser that they're planning to launch. It's called the SRV300. Apparently, its a rebranded Benda 302C, or more familiarly the Keeway 302C, which is making rounds on the news for being called a "Mini Harley". It's finally becoming a "Where's Waldo" like game for us consumers. That Keeway sportsbike was launched as a Benelli product, this cruiser as something else. Atleast we'll let the aftersales support do rest of the talking.

Attaching a few pics for comparing all of them.

Similarity 2 : that SRC500 is a Benelli Imperiale 400, maybe a little bit more bored out. Most components are visually same. Wait. Hold on. BRUH its the same! Same exhaust, same engine casing! What is going on?!

Pictures Courtesy : PowerDrift and Google
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market-312539963_5618366028246143_6960295288989871268_n.png  

Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market-313423634_5618366561579423_7816032705274466936_n.png  

Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market-keewaybendav302crearsideview.jpg  

Chinese 2-wheeler brand QJMotor to enter the Indian market-20210727092827_benelli_imperiale_lt_1.jpg  

Attached Images

saitvsk23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 23:44   #3
BHPian

No one asked for this brand, and I hope no one will take one home. I doubt if Benelli or its parent company does any market research before launching products.
saikishor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I won't comment on the product as I know nothing about motor cycles.

Given China's belligerent geo-political stance I can understand apathy against Chinese products. But I would be on the side to encourage Chinese companies to set up manufacturing facilities in India and create jobs here and pay taxes here. Their companies need an outlet for investments and we are the largest fast growing economy. Geo-political positions can change but the fact that they are the second largest will not change for a very very long time.

If they are only planning to import and sell then that's not interesting.
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Given China's belligerent geo-political stance I can understand apathy against Chinese products. But I would be on the side to encourage Chinese companies to set up manufacturing facilities in India and create jobs here and pay taxes here. Their companies need an outlet for investments and we are the largest fast growing economy. Geo-political positions can change but the fact that they are the second largest will not change for a very very long time.
I don't agree. If the second largest is not going to change, there is no reason to believe that its belligerence will also change. In fact, this belligerence attitude of China (since the '80s & '90s) is way older than its second-largest position (after the 2000s).
There is no dearth of 2-wheeler brands in India, where we need our hostile nation to set up a facility to generate tax income and jobs. Oppo/Xiaomi is one classic example of what happened with the tax thing. Job creation will also not be significant enough to justify their investment and business revenue afterward. In fact, we are already approx. $80billion trade deficit with China. This will only increase the deficit.

I am against this Chinese (our most hostile nation - even worse than Pakistan) brand, introducing a new 2-wheeler brand in India. This should stop immediately. If we don't have something that only this Chinese investment can bring, then so be it. Let us not have it. I obviously don't want us to become another Srilanka.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I believe there were similar rumors sometime around 1998 - 2002 where these bikes were rumored to be 50% cheaper than the then Indian models (Hero Honda CD 100, SS, Suzuki Samurai, Max 100 R and other models). Not in favor of this. In the name of job creation, there will be a huge mess that these Chinese investments will create.

There are some delicate geopolitical items that are best left untouched. If they want to import these junks, then whoever wants to own them can pay the import duty and buy. For these companies coming into India and manufacturing these vehicles, is a huge risk. The Chinese have had a history of espionage, spying and eavesdropping on delicate matters. I doubt these centers will turn hubs for anti-national activities. My honest opinion, you don't have to agree with me.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th November 2022 at 05:06. Reason: Politics
Raghu M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 11:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
In the name of job creation, there will be a huge mess that these Chinese investments will create.

There are some delicate geopolitical items that are best left untouched.

For these companies coming into India and manufacturing these vehicles, is a huge risk. The Chinese have had a history of espionage, spying and eavesdropping on delicate matters. I doubt these centers will turn hubs for anti-national activities.
If all these risks are so obvious to us keyboard warriors, then surely they must be obvious to the Indian government. So why are they allowing the entry of these Chinese manufacturers then? It's not like they are coming in by stealth, they seem to be entering the market openly.
am1m is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:34   #8

As a consumer I want the best value for money product - it doesn’t matter if it is Chinese/American/Italian/Indian.

As a concerned citizen, I want Indian products and services to be the best in the world.

It’s our responsibility to be world class in our profession.

Blaming/banning the Chinese won’t get us any far. It is unfair to consumers. Why should an average middle class consumer pay an higher price for an Indian product? (In addition to income tax and GST)

We must demand our government to make best use of tax money to build infrastructure and environment that will let us shine in the global arena. Until then, ‘Make in India’ will remain as ‘Tax them so that they at least get assembled in India’.
madrasmandayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 12:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
If all these risks are so obvious to us keyboard warriors, then surely they must be obvious to the Indian government. So why are they allowing the entry of these Chinese manufacturers then? It's not like they are coming in by stealth, they seem to be entering the market openly.
I am sure they do. It's like our vehicle reviews. We point out something so obvious that we think the OEMs have not thought things well. They will sure have their reasons. I am sure the GOI has given enough thought on these but there are always items that go unnoticed. That is why you have governments collapsing. Wrong business practices or foreign policy can make or break a country. In this case, I think the news may just take a lot longer to materialize. I am positive that these vehicles won't make it to the Indian market. Or if they do, they will partner with a reputed brand and GOI will have things under tight scrutiny.

Last edited by Raghu M : 3rd November 2022 at 12:55.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 13:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Or if they do, they will partner with a reputed brand and GOI will have things under tight scrutiny.
A lot of things have been left out of the narrative here. Foreign companies cannot enter India under the radar. The products have to be declared to customs, importer has to get a MSDS and LMPC certificate, the company has to set up a proprietorship and declare itself to RBI and to various Indian government bodies and regulators.

However you may think, Indian government has robust safeguards and checks in place.

This incessant China product bashing will not help anyone. China is here to stay for the next millenium and we have to accept it and play in our favor.
no_fear is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
This incessant China product bashing will not help anyone. China is here to stay for the next millenium and we have to accept it and play in our favor.
It will definitely help our Government to take appropriate actions and more obviously the Chinese brand about how it is perceived in India and what can they expect out of this market. Media bashing is the new non-violence movement. We already know what media bashing can do with a tonne of examples.

I am sure that China will stay a superpower compared to India (for many years now) and we cannot change that. But I am also sure that we are meticulously trying to reduce that gap. By making brands like this successful in India, we are only widening the gap instead of reducing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasmandayan View Post
As a consumer I want the best value for money product - it doesn’t matter if it is Chinese/American/Italian/Indian.

Blaming/banning the Chinese won’t get us any far. It is unfair to consumers. Why should an average middle class consumer pay an higher price for an Indian product? (In addition to income tax and GST)

We must demand our government to make best use of tax money to build infrastructure and environment that will let us shine in the global arena. Until then, ‘Make in India’ will remain as ‘Tax them so that they at least get assembled in India’.
Can you please elaborate and justify how an average middle-class consumer pays a higher price for an Indian product compared to a Chinese product in this case?
The Indian government is not going to ban this 2-wheeler brand, and neither we expect them to do so. This is our part as consumers that we don't buy these products.

We cannot completely eliminate Chinese dependency. But at least progressively reduce the dependency every day while also developing alternatives internally or by importing from other countries.

There are a lot more things about it which is for another topic/day for a detailed discussion. But this Chinese brand (and others as well) should not succeed in India. Period.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I don't agree. If the second largest is not going to change, there is no reason to believe that its belligerence will also change. In fact, this belligerence attitude of China (since the '80s & '90s) is way older than its second-largest position (after the 2000s). In fact, we are already approx. $80billion trade deficit with China. This will only increase the deficit.

I am against this Chinese (our most hostile nation - even worse than Pakistan) brand, introducing a new 2-wheeler brand in India. This should stop immediately. If we don't have something that only this Chinese investment can bring, then so be it. Let us not have it. I obviously don't want us to become another Srilanka.
Quote:
Not in favor of this. In the name of job creation, there will be a huge mess that these Chinese investments will create. First, they set up shop and employ people. Then they escalate tensions on the border, if the Indian forces react, the left wing in India will start accusing the govt. of threating job loss. Gives good fodder for many urban naxals to play mischief. This is a poor move if it goes ahead at all.

There are some delicate geopolitical items that are best left untouched. If they want to import these junks, then whoever wants to own them can pay the import duty and buy. For these companies coming into India and manufacturing these vehicles, is a huge risk. The Chinese have had a history of espionage, spying and eavesdropping on delicate matters. I doubt these centers will turn hubs for anti-national activities. My honest opinion, you don't have to agree with me.
Geo-politics, urban naxals, trade deficit, investments becoming a hub for anti-national activities, employment linked to border tensions!!!! My head is reeling.

China is a powerful nation and so is India. Time we outgrew our persecution complex and sulky sue temperament and dealt with them with strength and confidence. That in fact is the manner in which our Ministry of External Affairs is dealing with them - encourage FDI into India so they have a bigger stake to peaceful relations, try and stem the trade deficit by encouraging manufacturing in India*, develop our Armed Forces and reorganize them out of their World War II structures, re-inforce the infrastructure at the borders, hold our ground in Govt to Govt talks. All told our firm hand with China is better today than it has ever been. We cannot wish away our geography of being neighbours nor can we wish away the fact that China is the largest importer-exporter in the world. The magic word is 'engagement' not sulking. Thank fully the EAM knows that.

Chinese FDI inflow into India stands at $2.3 bn over 2013-2021 and the trade between the two economies was $90bn in 2021 albeit skewed in favour of China. If we wish to boycott Chinese goods lets toss out our mobile phones and laptops to start with.

* This will take a long time given that we invested 30 years from 1991 to systematically destroy our manufacturing base with WTO driven import loosening and the inspector raj. Before 1991 we only had the inspector raj

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd November 2022 at 15:54.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Time we outgrew our persecution complex and sulky sue temperament and dealt with them with strength and confidence.
The magic word is 'engagement' not sulking. Thank fully the EAM knows that.
I disagree. You're talking about wise external affairs engagement by the Govt of India (GOI). The other gentlemen, whom you've picked on, are private individuals speaking straight from the heart. And they take after my own heart as well.

It's a free market (to an extent) where people make their own choices.

Please respect our choices.

On the other hand, I hope the duty-bound MEA and the GOI keep their wits about them (their duty is to act in the supreme national interest) and choose how best to engage the Chinese, unlike us free souls.

And this brand and its offerings don't ring a bell with me anyway. There's no need for them right now. Royal Enfield have upped their product quality, there's Jawa, there's the Honda H'ness...I just don't see them making a dent in the cruiser bikes segment.

We'll see.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I disagree. You're talking about wise external affairs engagement by the Govt of India (GOI). The other gentlemen, whom you've picked on, are private individuals speaking straight from the heart. And they take after my own heart as well.

It's a free market (to an extent) where people make their own choices.

Please respect our choices.

On the other hand, I hope the duty-bound MEA and the GOI keep their wits about them (their duty is to act in the supreme national interest) and choose how best to engage the Chinese, unlike us free souls.
Dear @locusjag, they are free to write from their heart and I am free to write from my head. I'm not picking on them. And assuming they are full grown men others don't need to rush in to rescue them :-) I am not disrespecting their choices anymore than you are mine! Comparing a Govt of India approved FDI with a Sri Lanka style run away belt & road debt crises and comparing building factories to urban naxals indicates the confusion quite amply. We are welcome to write our thoughts. But is it too much to expect that two parts of a sentence make sense.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd November 2022 at 16:42.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:39   #15
BHPian

Guys, looks like this thread is going same way as any thread which has the magic word "China" in it.

The moment this word is written, it becomes a bipartisan free for all, forgetting that this is a motorcycle discussion. So let me try to bring this derailed discussions back to track by saying that there is no mention of price for the models in the link (anyone clicked it?) and that the specs are (IMO) not up to the mark for every engine capacity mentioned.
srini1785 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks