Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2022, 19:10   #1

Excessive vibrations from my motorcycle

Hi all, I m a new member to this esteemed forum. Very happy to be posting my first post!!

I am a 23-year-old engineer from Mysuru. My first and the only bike is the Pulsar 135 LS BS-IV. I have ridden it for around 10k kms. The only reason for the low usage is the lockdown and the subsequent online classes and WFH.

I had done the break-in and have periodically serviced my bike. The current engine oil used is the Motul 20W50 fully synthetic. However, I am facing vibrations, which start from 2k RPM all the way to the redline in almost all of the gears. I have faced this issue the entire time and have tried to neglect it. However, it is becoming tiresome. My bike redlines at 10k RPM and reaches 90 at 7k RPM and can do it all day, except for the vibrations. I like to ride hard, yet within limits. I do not rev past 7k-8k RPM most of the times. Currently getting an FE of 45 (tank to tank method).

Is anyone facing similar issue? The bike becomes perfectly normal, without vibrations for a few days after the service. The vibrations start after a few hundred KMs again. I get my bike serviced at Bajaj ASS.

At one time, I considered getting a new bike, under 2 lakhs on the road. However, I could not find a single bike which matched the value proposition, nimbleness, agility and the real-world FE of my bike. I can hold the bike with my thighs, corner decently, go up to respectable speeds and stand on the pegs to avoid getting my back hurt by rogue speed breakers and potholes in my machine. My daily commute is around 36-40 km. I shortlisted Xpulse, RTR200, Pulsar 250 twins, FZ25 and Hornet 2.0 and test rode them. Nothing seemed to be as all-round as my machine for the price.

Please suggest what I should do. Thanks in advance .
Nadapriya.auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 21:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Excessive vibrations from my motorcycle

I would look at the engine mounts and the rubber bushings holding them. Unlikely that they have given up so quickly. Secondly, where do you feel the vibrations? Handlebars, footrests, under the seat or the sides you grab the tank. That could give further info on how to isolate the problem.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 08:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadapriya.auto View Post
I had done...have periodically serviced Motul 20W50 fully synthetic...facing vibrations...2k RPM all the way to the redline...perfectly normal, without vibrations for a few days after the service. The vibrations start after
I'm sorry to break a profound truth that, there's nothing that can beat Japanese & German engineering out of which the value proposition being the former. If you get used to this truth, then, life can ease up a little.

Quote:
At one time...Nothing seemed to be as all-round as my machine for the price
Please suggest what I should do[/quote]
Kindly guide if my understanding is incorrect here:
You're looking a VFM replacement for your Pulsar 135 LS for a budget under 2L OTR to have a vibration free rides up to 100 Kmph, light weight, flickable matching 45 Kmpl & meeting respectable speeds (quantifying to 100 Kmph for now) for a distance of ~40 Km everyday

If my understanding above is right, then, again, I'm sorry to joke here that, another Pulsar 135 LS will certainly match your requirements to close

Point being, no 2 products are identical (barring a few like W800/Bonneville, ZX6R/GSX500R/CBR500RR etc) in the market. However, if you may kindly elaborate what kinds of roads you undergo, all of us here can suggest some options that might result in agreeable terms.

That said, if you can compromise or adapt to being flexible a little here & there, then I'm more than positive you will certainly find a motorcycle to meet your requirements. KTMs are certainly a good choice & KTM 125, although sounding a little downgrade, which is entire different in real world comes to my mind on reading agile, nimble, price, FE, stand on foot-pegs

Last edited by aargee : 14th November 2022 at 08:53.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 08:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome aboard.

Pulsars are not butter smooth. There will be some vibrations. Please share where you are facing vibrations - Footpeg, seats, handlebar?

For starters, try this engine oil:

https://www.amazon.in/Valvoline-Prem...s%2C380&sr=8-5

I found this oil to suit the Pulsars best. The engine vibes reduce significantly. It is hard to find in local stores so you may have to hunt around a bit. Yes it is 20W50 against the required 20W40 for the 135LS. But should not cause you any issues.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2022 at 21:33. Reason: typos
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 09:58   #5

The vibrations start at the tank at the lower RPMs, creep into foot pegs and seat around 4k-5k RPM and handlebar starts to vibrate after 6500 RPM.

Regarding the new bike, I am willing to compromise on FE. The traffic is not very bothersome in Mysuru. I drive primarily on good to decent roads, with occasional very bad patch of roads.

If the vibration issue cannot be resolved, I am willing to purchase a new bike. My requirement is near upright seating posture, vibration free motor till 100 KPH and decent GC with some agility. Not looking for my Pulsar 135 level agility and can compromise on that. However, a dual channel ABS is much appreciated.
Nadapriya.auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:59   #6
BHPian

If the vibrations improve after service and stays controlled for a few hundred kms., the problem is with drive chain. Either it has hardened/misaligned at some joints or there is less lubrication.

Clean it throughly and use a gear oil for lubricaton and see if vibrations go away.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the new bike, I am willing to compromise on FE...My requirement is near upright seating posture, vibration free motor till 100 KPH and decent GC with some agility...dual channel ABS is much appreciated.
First thing to pop on mind was R15, but then, upright seating posture!! So MT-15 wasn't too hard to guess.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:23   #8

Thank you all for your valuable insights and inputs. I will change the oil and also look into the drive chain for a few hundred kilometres.

If the situation doesn't improve, I will look into buying a new bike and will update the thread.
Old 16th November 2022, 20:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:

If the vibration issue cannot be resolved, I am willing to purchase a new bike. My requirement is near upright seating posture, vibration free motor till 100 KPH and decent GC with some agility. Not looking for my Pulsar 135 level agility and can compromise on that. However, a dual channel ABS is much appreciated.
You only have Honda bikes left with this requirement.
Old 15th January 2023, 15:13   #10

Re: Excessive vibrations from my motorcycle

The vibration problem could not be solved and started to bother me more. So, decided to buy a new bike in Dec 2022. Took a test ride of Honda 300F and RE Hunter 350. The Honda surprisingly felt a bit front heavy, and the test ride bike started to vibrate post 4k-5k RPM, which was very much surprising. The overall weight balance felt a bit off too. The handlebar of both the Hornet 2.0 and the 300F seems to be twisted in an outward way, which felt awkward to me. Then, took a test ride of Hunter 350 on the same day. The proportions, weight balance and its agility impressed me. Took a longish test ride and the seat and posture felt very good in terms of both comfort and handling. I was pleasantly surprised by the refinement levels of the RE J-series motor. The bike felt eager to move and turn too. The clutch too was not very bothersome, and I got used to the heavy clutch in a couple of minutes. The overall experience was top notch. Booked the Metro Dapper White Variant on 17th Dec 2022 and got the delivery on 19th Dec 2022. Did a quick PDI using the Interceptor PDI Checklist that was available in the forum.

Completed around 300km and very happy with the purchase. The bike is way more refined and vibe free when compared to my old P135. The handlebar's reach felt adequate while standing on the pegs. Overall, very much satisfied with the purchase. Got an offer of 10k worth riding gear too . So, bought the RE Street wind V2 Jacket, Roadbound gloves (CE Certified) and an RE ECE certified helmet.
Nadapriya.auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 23:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
The clutch too was not very bothersome, and I got used to the heavy clutch in a couple of minutes.
Congrats on the purchase!

Incase the clutch becomes too bothersome then maybe you can look into getting an easy clutch installed.
https://prospec.co.in/easy-clutch

From my experience of riding my friend's Meteor for over 1000km trip, the torque available in the low-rev range of the J-series engine does not make you reliant on using the clutch, unlike something like KTM ADV 250. You get used to the slightly heavy clutch and only need to use it in case of slow upshifts and downshifts.
advstreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, I m a new member to this esteemed forum.....
Welcome friend.

I face a similar issue with my Classic 500 (2016 model). Post service, the engine and gear shift is very smooth for a 1000 kms or so. Post that the vibrations creep in and the gear shifts become increasingly hard. I experimented with both semi-synthetic and mineral oils. The result is more or less the same in city condition (vibrations were noticeably harsher in the semi-synthetic oil). Regular oil change and servicing has helped in mitigation the severity of the vibrations. Might be similar in your pulsar case.

As for your new purchase, congratulation!. The newer generation 350s are a lot better in terms of vibration. Happy riding.
ReventonLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 17:31   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReventonLover View Post
Welcome friend.

I face a similar issue with my Classic 500 (2016 model). Post service, the engine and gear shift is very smooth for a 1000 kms or so. Post that the vibrations creep in and the gear shifts become increasingly hard. I experimented with both semi-synthetic and mineral oils. The result is more or less the same in city condition (vibrations were noticeably harsher in the semi-synthetic oil). Regular oil change and servicing has helped in mitigation the severity of the vibrations. Might be similar in your pulsar case.

As for your new purchase, congratulation!. The newer generation 350s are a lot better in terms of vibration. Happy riding.
The Classic 500 will have vibrations due to big bore and stroke, though it should ease a bit of a couple of services. Do not keep changing oils frequently or it will upset the system, stick to one type. Try to change gears at a little higher rev range.
Old 22nd January 2023, 21:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
The Classic 500 will have vibrations due to big bore and stroke, though it should ease a bit of a couple of services. Do not keep changing oils frequently or it will upset the system, stick to one type. Try to change gears at a little higher rev range.
Yes, the 500 does have vibrations that you may not feel in 350s at similar performance level. I had the cylinder rebored, but the local technician did not do a good job of assembling the engine again, so I have been suffering from oil losses as well. That may also be a contributing factor. But my primary concern is the harshness of the engine (I have already made my peace with the thumping associated with the bigger piston, it has kind of grown on me). Thinking about getting the entire engine dismantled and set up again, hence looking for a good OEM/FNG service center in Hyderabad. Maybe that helps me in diagnosing the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks