Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2023, 20:55   #16
BHPian

Re: 8 months with a Royal Enfield Himalayan (Lake Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
there is significant wind noise on this, especially on a tall bike > 80kmph. Also, some others offer a wider view from the visor. Otherwise it's a great VFM product, if you can tolerate the wind noise or have a great windshield or use motoring earplugs.
What you have said is exactly what I have observed. I was curious to know if other Apex users also experience the same. The wind noise is unbearable once the bike crosses 70kmph. I first thought it was because of the windshield on my Himalayan. Have been riding it for the past few hundred kms with the windshield removed. Now I have to bear the windblast in addition to the wind noise. I am seriously thinking about changing to a quieter helmet when possible. Experts please chip in. Also like you said, the Apex helmet has somewhat limited visibility. Otherwise it's a VFM product considering it has pinlock by default and good padding.
Old 17th February 2023, 22:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole_rider View Post
The wind noise is unbearable once the bike crosses 70kmph. I first thought it was because of the windshield on my Himalayan.

I am seriously thinking about changing to a quieter helmet when possible. Experts please chip in.
I was generous in stating >80kmph . The noise does indeed start ~70 onwards.

After a good amount of research I zeroed in on the LS2 FF800 Storm and changed to it. Here's what I felt in comparison after first hand use of both for many months.

Whats better: Much MUCH lesser wind noise, good bit lighter, much wider field of view, easier visor removal system, high quality micrometric buckle instead of D ring(ease of use), a better Pinlock Max 70 antifog and in general better build quality.

Whats the same: ISI, ECE 22.05 certified (ISI printed on helmet), Double visor system with external operation, vents/cooling, padding etc

Whats worse: 2X+ price of Axor Apex. I see this as a once in 5+ years spend and was fine with it considering safety, practicality, comfort and my usage.

I know other folks who also like MT helmets at similar price points, but I was sold on the FF800, especially the classy (and slightly sober) Jeans Titanium color/design.
P.S. I'll reserve my comments regarding some of the outrageous colors and designs of today's helmets in general for another thread, another day
Game_of_Roads is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 00:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
I zeroed in on the LS2 FF800 Storm and changed to it. Here's what I felt in comparison after first hand use of both for many months.

Whats better: Much MUCH lesser wind noise, good bit lighter, much wider field of view, easier visor removal system, high quality micrometric buckle instead of D ring(ease of use), a better Pinlock Max 70 antifog and in general better build quality.
Thank you for the suggestion, Game_of_Roads. I will add this to my shortlist when I am shopping for my next lid. Lesser wind noise is one of the top priorities for me now in my next helmet. Real life experience like yours after using the helmet for some time really help people scouting for a good quality helmet since the wind noise cannot be tested when we are trying our new lid in a shop like the fit and finish.

Quote:
I know other folks who also like MT helmets at similar price points, but I was sold on the FF800, especially the classy (and slightly sober) Jeans Titanium color/design.
That jeans titanium shade is really a unique and attractive design.
sole_rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks