Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2023, 10:10   #16
BHPian

Re: 1978 Yezdi Model B 250 | Can't help but fall in love

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan12 View Post
Has this been converted to CDI or does it run on its original Point System?
BTW you should consider joining the Jawa and Yezdi Club of Hyderabad
It is on the original Points. Thanks for the group recommendation - will look up.
Old 28th October 2023, 00:29   #17
MVM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitinfinitive View Post
After almost two years of waiting for parts and general mechanic and my laziness, she's come home! Looks stunning even now, and boy is that engine ever so reliable - starts with one kick and smooth like butter.
That's a lovely bike sir , the efforts that have gone into restoring it are very evident. If you don't mind could you post a video of the start up, I'm sure it will be a treat for many.
Thank you for sharing
MVM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 18:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Quiz - Who knows about this kind of cylinder head

Attachment 2400076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVM View Post

If I'm not wrong this cylinder head is called the Flower head (also called the porcupine head) as opposed to the more common head with parallel fins. This cylinder head was sold stock on the Yezdi B 250 and on the Oilking.
Some more trivia on the flower head; Ideal Jawa apparently stopped making them as they kept breaking drill bits while machining these heads. Given the angle of the fins they needed to use thin stem bits that would fit between the angles gaps of the fins . I also recall an old Jawa racer telling me these had slightly higher compression than the standard heads too.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 22:18   #19
BHPian

Folks,

I'm hoping to add a Yezdi Classic to my garage.

I test rode what seemed like a reasonably well maintained bike but was left with one big concern

The brakes seem to really weak - I've previously owned a CI 350 bullet of a similar vintage but found the Yezdi's brakes to be much weaker. Stopping from 30 kmph seemed like an exercise. Both the owner and the mechanic said that the Yezdis do have weak brakes and that the brakes on this were decent by yezdi standards. Would love to get your thoughts. The mech also mention that i could get better braking by replacing the cable type brake with the rod type as soon on other commuter bikes.

Are the brakes really that weak ?
Is the modification to a rod type brake that effective ?

Im hoping to test ride other prospective bikes as well, so will be able to tell in due course, but wanted to poll the collective knowledge base of this community!

Thanks !
M
Old 15th January 2024, 07:30   #20

Quote:
The brakes seem to really weak - I've previously owned a CI 350 bullet of a similar vintage but found the Yezdi's brakes to be much weaker. Stopping from 30 kmph seemed like an exercise. Both the owner and the mechanic said that the Yezdis do have weak brakes and that the brakes on this were decent by yezdi standards. Would love to get your thoughts. The mech also mention that i could get better braking by replacing the cable type brake with the rod type as soon on other commuter bikes.
That is not true. I have toured most of South India on my 83 Classic. Have done Ghats, Highways, off-roads, Everything. That should tell you something about the brakes. They don't work like Disc Brakes but they get the job done once you get the hang of it and they do it really really well.

Quote:
Stopping from 30 kmph seemed like an exercise.
The brakes are shot, Either the drum/hubs needs resurfacing or the bike needs new Brake Shoes or a combination of both. Either way, that's not how a well prepped Yezdi Brake setup works

Quote:
Is the modification to a rod type brake that effective ?
I feel its the same, Any changes would be marginal. However you eliminate the dependency on the rear break Cable when you shift to the Rod Type. However i have never had problems with the cable, Ever. The Accelerator Cable, yes! The Brake Cables, No!

I also have a Side-Car Rig setup on a Yezdi, The Stock Brakes work fine on that as well. Never had problems stopping. It just comes down to prepping your brakes well. Hubs, cables, Brake Shoes, Every thing needs to be checked and replaced/Reconditioned etc.

Quote:
I'm hoping to add a Yezdi Classic to my garage
If i can suggest, do get a Roadking Instead.

Cheers.
khan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan12 View Post
They don't work like Disc Brakes but they get the job done once you get the hang of it and they do it really really well.

The brakes are shot, Either the drum/hubs needs resurfacing or the bike needs new Brake Shoes or a combination of both.

If i can suggest, do get a Roadking Instead.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply, confirms my suspicion. Now i'm wondering what the mechanic was on that day

Agree - Logic dictates that i be open to the Roadking, Lots more choices with the roadking. There are other factors in play and thus the hunt for a classic/model B / classic II

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks