Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2022, 18:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kinetic Luna to return in an all-electric avatar

Kinetic Group plans to resurrect the ‘Luna’ brand. The popular moped is set to return as an all-electric model.

Name:  D7jhjA8UEAAQ6Fu.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  145.3 KB

According to media reports, Kinetic has commenced production of the chassis and other assemblies. Components such as the main stand, side stand and swingarm are also ready. Technical details of the E-Luna are still unknown.

The Kinetic E-Luna will be manufactured at the brand’s assembly unit at Ahmednagar. The company has installed a new assembly line comprising of over 30 welding machines, a new paint shop as well as press and fabrication units. The facility is said to have an initial capacity of 5,000 units per month.

The Luna is one of the most iconic mopeds that was launched in 1972 and went out of production in the early 2000s. It was powered by a 50cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled engine.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 09:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Kinetic Luna to return in an all-electric avatar

Good move by Kinetic. See a lot of these Chinese mopeds on road so the Luna should get off to a good start. Would love to see Kinetic's ZX, Marvel and Blaze models in the e-avatar in near future.
Old 27th December 2022, 09:13   #3
BHPian

I just hope that they sell at realistic price and do not do price inflation just for subsidy pilfering.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 09:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kinetic Engineering Commences E-Luna Chassis & Component Production.

Press Release

Kinetic Luna to return in an all-electric avatar-20221227_092324.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th December 2022 at 09:30.
Venkatesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 09:42   #5
BHPian

Luna does certainly have an emotional pull for people who may have used it during the 80's.
For brand recall to work, it must be a purchase for individual use. However the ELuna seems to be aimed at the delivery sector. If that's the case, brand recall does not matter as it will be purely driven by economics of cost to buy/cost to maintain/ease of maintenance.

Although I would love to see this succeed, my thought is that the only way they can succeed is by the merit of the product - nothing else.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

WOW! I remember my father had one LUNA back in the early '90s. Have a lot of memories of it since it was our first upgrade from the cycle (we can also paddle it like a cycle).
I will be glad to see it again on the road in an electric avatar.
satish.gawai is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 10:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah luna, beings back childhood memories along with hero puch. This also was the first automobile that I crashed in my life by running directly into bushes while trying to turn left!

Hopefully it does well, it can actually do well in small towns compared to big cities where it will mainly be used by delivery channel partners.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 10:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
WOW! I remember my father had one LUNA back in the early '90s. Have a lot of memories of it since it was our first upgrade from the cycle (we can also paddle it like a cycle).
I will be glad to see it again on the road in an electric avatar.
Regenerative power option via pedalling again? I jest !

But yes, the emotional pull means it should sell well, at least early on.
deovrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 21:58   #9
BHPian

My very first own motor vehicle, back in 1984! Aaah!
Old 29th December 2022, 10:18   #10
BHPian

We had a 1982 model luna during my chid-hood days, in fact it was the first two wheeler I drove. it was fun at that time, a basic functional machine.

But, today's landscape is very different, e-vehicles offer much more than the ICE ones and Luna's conventional approach will not work.

Even thought i was success back then, I do not think the brand luna has the positioning to attract buyers in the current market . It offered the same product even in 90s when market had Kinetic Honda / TVS Scooty (1st gen)/ Hero Puch. Luna brand was never aspirational and not something an owner was proud of.

And if they are planning to target the delivery/ ecom space then it will be a low margin utility play with no USPs, rather than a brand play. You only need to develop chassis and motor / battery is contract manufactured / white labelled form China. There is no barrier and 50 other players are doing the exact same thing.
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 16:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Kinetic Green founder and CEO Sulajja Firodia Motwani has confirmed electric version of Luna would be called the e-Luna.

Kinetic Luna to return in an all-electric avatar-smartselect_20230531163811_twitter.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 17:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is a very smart move by them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
I just hope that they sell at realistic price and do not do price inflation just for subsidy pilfering.
+1

Hopefully the additional components needed, to keep it relevant to the market now, does not add too much of a cost to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Regenerative power option via pedalling again? I jest !...
They will just solve one pain / risk of having a EV! And also the health benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Kinetic Green founder and CEO Sulajja Firodia Motwani has confirmed electric version of Luna would be called the e-Luna...
Still no release date given.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks