Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 12:20   #1
BHPian

16-year old Bajaj XCD - Overhaul or Scrap?

Hi all,

In 2007, I bought my first bike, Bajaj XCD 125. After using it for 3-4 years as my primary transportation for about 30k kms, I bought my first car in 2010 and since, I have not been riding the bike as much as the car. Since 2014 or so, the usage was minimal for local shops and just a few kms here and there... Once in a while, I would use it for going to office but even after that, at most, I have traveled for 5-6k kms. Regardless, I used to get it serviced once in a while to keep it up and running.

then came COVID... I did not even touch the bike since 2020. Now, it is in a state of mess. Pre-covid, I did replace the battery and got it serviced once in late 2020 as well but did not use it. The registration of the bike expired in October 2022.

Here are some of the issues I have with the bike:
  • This was taken on a bike loan from Bajaj Auto Finance. I have given them cheques (back in the day before UPI or debit cards were the norm) for all the EMIs and they had cleared them too. I do not have an NOC from them as there was some conflict when they said there is still one more EMI due and long story short, I don't have an NOC from them.
  • Last few years of the usage, I always had the starting problem... It takes many kicks for the bike to start and it is probably not just battery. After a service, it works once or twice and it goes back to this issue. I just ignored as I have not been using it very often.
  • Expired registration needs renewal and follow-up with BAFL is cumbersome considering the time it consumes.

Now, I am in need of a bike/scooter that will take me to the nearby park and get some groceries more often than before. I was considering either buying a new bike (which is not possible as no HM permission) or to do a complete overhaul and re-use this XCD.

I am not sure if this is can be done or not. Please let me know your thoughts and I hope some neutral perspectives will help me make up a better decision.

Appreciate all that you do!

Regards,
Sri Harsha.
Old 1st February 2023, 12:58   #2
BHPian

re: 16-year old Bajaj XCD - Overhaul or Scrap?

Depends on the cost of overhaul.Two,i don't think they'll ever completely solve the issues. Even my bs6 dominar has engine shutting issues which they cannot solve for some reason since a few years now. If the overhaul amount is too much ,you may consider a second hand bike/scooter that's still in production. Like the Activa/Access line. Or the evergreen hero models . Spare parts availability and reliability matter. Go for Honda/Suzuki. Essentially I think you want a fill it-shut it-forget it 2 wheeler.
Old 1st February 2023, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
Please let me know your thoughts and I hope some neutral perspectives will help me make up a better decision
If you're emotionally attached, then, please restore the motorcycle to perfection

If you're not emotionally attached to XCD, then better to scrap for the below reasons:
  1. Spares are rare
  2. Technology has moved on & there're better motorcycles now
  3. For groceries & errands, a gearless scooter is much suited than a motorcycle today
  4. Even if you restore, cost will be nearly 1/3rd+ (for perfection) or ~1/4th (sufficient to run)of a new motorcycle
  5. Even after restoration, bike will not last long like a new because
    a. Restoration always includes new, old & near worn out parts
    b. Such a restoration will have wear & tear much faster
    c. If all the parts are changed no matter worn out or not, a new motorcycle will cost cheaper
    d. Only a perfect mechanic/ASC who's genuinely interested in keeping your XCD pristine can help for longer life

A new Pulsar 125 (suggesting an equivalent on capacity) should cost ~1 Lakh OTR (or Platina 110 for FE ~85K OTR); but can sustain very well, trouble free for next 5 years for sure & 8+ years if used sparingly & taken care well. Or Honda Shine 125 that easily sustain for 10 years under standard maintenance perhaps at the OTR < 1 Lakh.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know your thoughts and I hope some neutral perspectives will help me make up a better decision.
Clear the NOC issue with BAFL first. Once you have the NOC either decide on selling this bike and getting a new one from the proceeds or just take it to a FNG who will get in sorted out.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 14:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I am in need of a bike/scooter that will take me to the nearby park and get some groceries more often than before. I was considering either buying a new bike (which is not possible as no HM permission) or to do a complete overhaul and re-use this XCD.
If your requirement is strictly only for neighborhood grocery runs and sorts, then it might make sense to get the bare minimum done on the bike and use it till it lasts. A 16 year old bike in the condition like yours is not going to get any value in the market so no use going in that direction.

Battery and ignition issues are solvable - figure out a good local FNG mechanic and he'll be able to get the bike running and at not a large hit to the wallet. You don't need to do a complete overhaul - just get the basics running and you'll be fine for your local runs. We had similar issues with our un-used 2004 Activa and it was diagnosed to replacement of ignition coils and other minor repairs.

As for the expired registration (and by that no insurance or PUC) and the pending NOC, it's going to be a good amount of effort to go down that rabbit hole. See if you can get the registration done via an agent and/or online; atleast for the 3rd party insurance & PUC. But either way, the earlier point on limiting it to local neighborhood runs only would be the key point for your next decision (to retain or to buy).
Old 9th February 2023, 17:13   #6
BHPian

Re: 16-year old Bajaj XCD - Overhaul or Scrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you're emotionally attached, then, please restore the motorcycle to perfection

If you're not emotionally attached to XCD, then better to scrap for the below reasons:
I second aargee's suggestion.
If not emotionally attached, it is best to scrap for good, as it is not worth the time and effort for a very old commuter segment bike for which some spares required to get to pristine condition may be a headache.

Also, I'd suggest sorting out the last installment matter by sending out a written registered letter with some details of all cheques cleared as it may affect CIBIL score .
Old 9th February 2023, 17:41   #7
KPR
BANNED

Do you have valid papers? Even if you're emotionally attached, scrap it if you don't have valid papers. Last month I've retired my 2007 Libero G5 and brought home a new CT125x . It looks like built to last another 15 years. Let's see. If I'm correct CT125X has same XCD engine.
Meanwhile have some fun at commuter bikes today in 2023 in case you are going to get a new one. This humble bike is a mileage monster

Old 9th February 2023, 17:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This was taken on a bike loan from Bajaj Auto Finance. I have given them cheques (back in the day before UPI or debit cards were the norm) for all the EMIs and they had cleared them too. I do not have an NOC from them as there was some conflict when they said there is still one more EMI due and long story short, I don't have an NOC from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Clear the NOC issue with BAFL first. Once you have the NOC either decide on selling this bike and getting a new one from the proceeds or just take it to a FNG who will get in sorted out.
Please heed to BHPian srini1785's advice. It is just about one EMI, if you can not show them your records, then believe in theirs . It may show up in your CIBIL & bring the scores down, will hurt you if you ever need any financial aid from any bank / finance.

Just a small heads-up too to any one reading, close all non-operative accounts / any agent code (say an agent for insurance) or any account whose status would be open but it's non operational for whatsoever reason.

Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 18:02   #9
BHPian

I was a huge, huge fan of the XCD when I was a first class kid. Especially the one in blue.
Keeping this aside, I would suggest you to scrap the bike and go for a new one. If you are emotionally attached, then only consider restoring it. Or else, scrapping is the best option.

I had sold our beloved Scooty pep in October 2022. It had its registration expired at the time of sale, and I clearly mentioned the buyer to get the transfer done. Till date he hasnt got it done even after multiple followups.

This is the reason I would suggest scrapping if you decide to dispose the bike, instead of selling it.
Old 9th February 2023, 20:32   #10
BHPian

Well, there are a lot of comments to scrap the xcd. My question though is about how to scrap?

One simple way to 'scrap' is to simply sell to someone who may intend to use the vehicle without transferring (may be small towns/villages). In this case the vehicle is always going to be in your name forever (and it's a legal liability)

The right way is to scrap it by giving it to a scrap dealer and cancelling the registration. That may internally mean you need to clear the bank loan stuff first and do whatever needs to be done and get an NOC.

So, truly scrapping the vehicle is probably a more complex task than repairing it.

So, do consider if repair/re-registration costs are reasonable and you can use it for another 5 years.

We have an activa at home with an expired registration but we don't want to 'sell' it because most of the people buying a 15year old active with expired registration are going to use it without renewing the registration or transferring it.

Last edited by deep_bang : 9th February 2023 at 20:33.
Old 12th February 2023, 08:30   #11

I too have a 15 year old Bajaj XCD 125, that I purchased in 2008 and it was my first and only bike. It is still at my home and my brother uses it occasionally. Contrary to what many others have stated, the spare parts are easily available. It shares most of its spare parts with discover and platina so they are available in rural areas too. Even if you are facing starting issues, minor repair would fix the issue. The starting issue could be due to the electronic choke in the bike which ideally should automatically engage, but may have failed. I would suggest you to restore it to its former glory as these bikes are trouble free and would easily give you approx 65kmpl of mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks