Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 13:04   #16
BHPian

Cool write up. It's a great bike for touring. I agree with the seat being a little too soft, but now it's boxer shorts for long distance touring for me, saves the back side from elastic imprints!

I like my bike - it's a 05 Zma and I have clocked about 19500 kms on it (a 20k report coming up!), including a couple of Mumbai - Bangalore rides, lots of trips down south and now it's my regular office steed with weekend Badlapur - Pune rides (about 120 kms).

Quick question - how do i know the Cam shaft chain tensioner has gone bad? My bike is a little harsh lately in the top gear at about 60-75 kmph, and i normally upshift to top gear at about 40-45 with gradual acceleration.

superavi
Old 19th December 2007, 16:32   #17
BHPian

If the tensioner is worn that means on cold engine, your cam chain isnt tightened up.
That will lead to clatter from the headgear. Do you hear it? Especially when you blip throttle(while the revs are coming down?)
Old 19th December 2007, 17:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

ZMA normally has some vibrations in the 65-70 kph band in 5th gear, you referring to this or any extra harshness which you have started feeling recently ??
Old 19th December 2007, 18:52   #19
BHPian

Scary Skulls - there is no vibration or clatter on a cold start.

Techno - it's getting extra harsh - or atleast that's how i feel. Any chances of checking my bike out, i work at Hinjewadi.

Bunny - sorry for hijacking your thread!
Old 19th December 2007, 21:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures and good write up. The bike looks good.
Old 19th December 2007, 23:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

well what can i say, i am impressed! the write up made me go bananas, especially the 1600+ kms in 31 hours, and all the trips you mentioned!

i was awestruck for a moment there!

congrats, and feels really nice to see a guy with this kind of passion for touring!

i was just wondering if a unicorn can with stands such touring if ridden at say, 60-80kmph on the highways?, for i am planning a trip from here to chennai or bangalore!
Old 20th December 2007, 11:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

@rider60: All the modern day bikes are pretty tough & can take lot of abuse its just that the slower(less powered) the bike is the more you will get fatigued & hence lesser distance. 70-80 should be fine with sufficient breaks for a Unicorn

@superavi: I would love to help out if I can, let me know when can we meet I stay near Hinjewadi but my Office is in DP road in city.

Lets not hijack this thread more & switch to PMs :-)

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th December 2007 at 12:01.
Old 21st December 2007, 12:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Scary Skulls - there is no vibration or clatter on a cold start.
Then maybe I'm not being able to comprehend what you mean when you say harshness. I hope some existing ZMA rider from the forums checks it out and lets us know.

As far as I can speak by my personal experience, clatter from headgear on cold engine = slack chain = worn out tensioner.
If that isnt happening, then good.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ technocrat

thanks for the info.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:15   #25
BHPian

yo
thanks all

me shifted to Pune and the bike has been lying idle for a while (blame it on the p220 and the RTR Fi!)

as for seat : i got it done in Delhi. they cut some of the original foam, put in new one, made the seat a little thicker too (to distribute the butt weight evenly). Seat feel quite soft now

unicorn touring : its a good bike for long trips and holding it at 85-90 all day wont be an issue for the machine at all.

tensioner : when the bike is cold, the engine will make a unique song which may go away once warm
Old 25th December 2007, 23:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

all right the touring suggestions go for the stock bike not a modded one i suppose?

well i will be done with modding my bike by next week, i making the camshaft lobes 1mm thicker all round the diameter, that welding is going to last me like 20000 kms at most, and the tappets will be set like wise, well with this kind of mod is the touring still suggested?

Most Viewed