Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2023, 04:33   #1

Honda CB350 rusting under the tank

Hey guys

Few days back I found rust under the tank of my CB350 the bike few months old can you guys tell me any solution and is it a common issue with other CB350 as well? Also I have shared the pics below

Honda CB350 rusting under the tank-d7caa75f522b4fe9a2356e62169decce.jpeg

Honda CB350 rusting under the tank-e4555e6bfa324edfa2a1a2c9f3619dfa.jpeg
Captain Cactus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 16:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda CB350 rusting under the tank

Hi Captian Cactus, I assume this bike is only a few months old. If yes directly take it to Honda service and ask them to handle this, was the machine exposed to much moisture and rain??
Old 26th February 2023, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Im using Loctite Marine paste on any rust I find. Once treated, the same section never catches rust
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 19:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc89 View Post
Hi Captian Cactus, I assume this bike is only a few months old. If yes directly take it to Honda service and ask them to handle this, was the machine exposed to much moisture and rain??
Hello tc89, I rarely ride on rain might have ridden just twice or thrice and washed it immediately after reaching home after the engine is cooled. I took it to a dealership nearby as I was out of town I couldn’t take it to the dealership I bought the bike from but the response given by the dealership guys was quite weird they said me that it’s a common issue and it is caused due to welding and another reason is there is a rubber kind of material placed under the arc of the tank for support you can see it in the image they said me that it can also be due the water absorbed by it during washing and nothing could be done. I mean the bike is just months old and started rusting under the tank I can hardly put a finger in it I wonder what the condition of the bike will be after a year or two also I’m yet to take it to the dealership I bought it from will show them this issue once I reach back home I wonder what kind of low quality materials are used by Honda if this is the case I don’t think Honda will survive much in the segment I mean their sales of 350CC have been slashed after the launch of Hunter 350 and also RE has increased the quality of their 350 a lot
Captain Cactus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 19:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Im using Loctite Marine paste on any rust I find. Once treated, the same section never catches rust
Rusting is happening under the tank I can hardly put a finger in it any idea how to remove it?
Old 26th February 2023, 20:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cactus View Post
Rusting is happening under the tank I can hardly put a finger in it any idea how to remove it?
Get hold of a paint brush (the thin one that the kids use for painting). Dip it is a rust converter solution and treat the part. If you are more confident with your mechanic skills, remove the tank, remove the rust using a sand paper and paint the part.

OT : A new Honda Motorcycle rusting...not even a post bashing Honda. Had it been a motorcycle with Royal Enfield written anywhere on it, this thread would have reached 10 pages with Royal Enfield bashing, vibrations and parts falling off

regard Adrian
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 20:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Get hold of a paint brush (the thin one that the kids use for painting). Dip it is a rust converter solution and treat the part. If you are more confident with your mechanic skills, remove the tank, remove the rust using a sand paper and paint the part.

OT : A new Honda Motorcycle rusting...not even a post bashing Honda. Had it been a motorcycle with Royal Enfield written anywhere on it, this thread would have reached 10 pages with Royal Enfield bashing, vibrations and parts falling off

regard Adrian
Hello adrian, Actually the rusting is happening under the tank deep inside also I can hardly put a finger inside and as far as I know we need to remove the rust first before applying the paint else the paint won’t stay there for long even if it did it will be still rusting from inside also I agree people in India have a lot of misconceptions that a Japanese motorcycle don’t rust and have the best build quality in the world.
Captain Cactus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 10:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello adrian, Actually the.... people in India have a lot of misconceptions that a Japanese motorcycle don’t rust and have the best build quality in the world.
If you read my post carefully, I had mentioned "Rust Converter" with the tank in place and "sand paper and paint" with the tank removed.

Rust converter is available in spray can and basically what it does is to convert iron oxide (Rust) to a more stable ferric tannate which forms a protective barrier as well preventing further rusting.

The best method always is to get the vehicle to the service centre, get them remove all the rust (ensure this) and get the parts painted.

If you don't want to take the things to the service centre, get a can of rust converter and spray on the rusted part. No need to scrape off the existing rust.

regards adrian
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 19:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
If you read my post carefully, I had mentioned "Rust Converter" with the tank in place and "sand paper and paint" with the tank removed.

Rust converter is available in spray can and basically what it does is to convert iron oxide (Rust) to a more stable ferric tannate which forms a protective barrier as well preventing further rusting.

The best method always is to get the vehicle to the service centre, get them remove all the rust (ensure this) and get the parts painted.

If you don't want to take the things to the service centre, get a can of rust converter and spray on the rusted part. No need to scrape off the existing rust.

regards adrian
Hi Adrian!
Thank you for the reply. I haven’t taken it to the dealership I bought it from, but, have taken it to the nearest dealership and in the above posts, I’ve mentioned what they’ve said to me. I will update once I take it to the dealership I bought it from.

Mod Note : Please go through our Posting Etiquettes before making any further post on Team-BHP.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th March 2023 at 08:52. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Old 28th February 2023, 19:45   #10

I'd suggest taking it to the service centre.
Get it checked thoroughly Under Your Supervision and check the depth of Rust.Please check the entire area at the service centre ,ask to remove the Tank if it helps.If it's a small part that's replaceable under warranty push for replacement.
Also I'd suggest getting it done at the Service Centre Over DIY because of the warranty mainly.Once the warranty is over you can do this kind of Minor Stuff at Home.I don't know if it voids the warranty, better not to risk in case there's any more rust damage.

On a side note yours is not the first CB350 I've seen Rusting.A Friends CB350 bought immediately after launch has developed Rust along the Entire Exhaust Pipe Stretch.
ICE_Swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 02:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_Swift View Post
I'd suggest taking it to the service centre.
Get it checked thoroughly Under Your Supervision and check the depth of Rust.Please check the entire area at the service centre ,ask to remove the Tank if it helps.If it's a small part that's replaceable under warranty push for replacement.
Also I'd suggest getting it done at the Service Centre Over DIY because of the warranty mainly.Once the warranty is over you can do this kind of Minor Stuff at Home.I don't know if it voids the warranty, better not to risk in case there's any more rust damage.

On a side note yours is not the first CB350 I've seen Rusting.A Friends CB350 bought immediately after launch has developed Rust along the Entire Exhaust Pipe Stretch.
Hi ICE_Swift, thanks for the reply I took it to the dealership two days back from where I bought it they removed the tank and said me that it’s not a manufacturing defect and cannot be replaced under warranty and the manager was telling me that it is a common issue and nothing to be worried of when I said him to at least remove the rust and apply a coat of paint he said me that they don’t get claim from Honda and had to do this from their pocket literally had argument with him for 10 minutes later he agreed that he can get the rust removed and a can apply a coat of paint for free he had asked me to come on week days of next week or after that will update it once it is done
Captain Cactus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Just one question -

Is this the Honda quality ?
Riding TVS Apache since 2015 not a single part has this kind of rust on it.
Have driven it like hell in rain, muddy road etc etc..

Was planning on selling it and getting a CB 350 for more comfortable ride.
I don't think these kind of posts give me enough confidence on Japanese quality control.
Old 24th April 2023, 08:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys

Few days back I found rust under the tank of my CB350 the bike few months old can you guys tell me any solution and is it a common issue with other CB350 as well? Also I have shared the pics below

Attachment 2422719

Attachment 2422720
Hey Captain Cactus, my two cents on this. The part which has rusted is the mount of your fuel tank in the front (probably left hand side, judging by the image). Structural failure of this part due to rust may cause the tank to tilt on one side. If you let the rust spread, it will eventually eat up the spot welded joints and enter the inside of the tank as well.

Do not go for rust removal and repaint as these parts are already chromate coated (if of good quality). It is better to get your tank changed under warranty (if it is still running). Escalate this to the service manager and the official customer care website. This usually helps to kick start the things in a faster manner.

If you are asking why the extreme caution I have suggested, it's because I have experience in mass manufacturing of these tanks and have seen the rust problem up close eating up into the tank. Has happened with my Gin kun (Classic 500) as well. Completely rusted from inside.
ReventonLover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks