Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 13:28   #1
arb

Buy a decent 650cc motorcycle now, or save for something bigger?

New query, perhaps not! More like old wine in a sparkling new bottle, nevertheless I am ready for some Team-BHP enlightenment and so here goes my predicament.

To buy a decent motorcycle now or save for bigger?” Before you slice and dice to give me some Team-BHP style honest, stark opinions with no ounce of blarney, here is the thought process that led to my predicament.

I have not ridden a bike since 2013, not accounting a spec or two of test rides, friend’s bikes that I may have casually taken for a quick spin. Prior to that I have ridden few commuter bikes and scooters available within my circle of family, friends. I was also stupendously naïve to annoy my parents into getting me a Pulsar 180, which at that point was a bit stretched. No, I didn’t realize then. I did say naïve right, okay I’ll settle for being self-centered stupid young man, afterall I did root for P220, while my father used a grand old Splendor all his working life. Cut to the chase, I got a P180. So this P180 of mine, straddled along me through the west coast of the country primarily in northern Karnataka, Maharashtra and Goa. It clocked around 80k kms in the 10 years I had it with me. I know some of you with a keen sense of time may have already figured the timelines don't add, well almost all the mileage got clocked in first 5years of ownership and the remaining adding may be thousand odd kms. My P180 went from my daily ride to garage queen to damsel in distress to be rescued by a friendly shop owner who happily continues to ride till I last checked. To summarize my ridding years, I rode a lot while I was not working, did very little while working and absolute zero in recent years.

Time to change a gear, let me introduce my better half. She can ride, ride well I must say, had her share of biking adventures with her friends and would be absolutely fair to say we both enjoyed riding equally but never shared the experience together. Now comes the sudden shove, “Should we not create some biking experience together and if not now, when?” This is 8:30am in morning, after dropping our kid to bus stand while sipping tea. Time to leave the tea and pick remote, youtube to rescue and RE SuperMeteor reviews queued up for play. I did say I am regular to Team-BHP and knew exactly what's the automotive scene, so when the time presented I clicked right to what could be a bike I like. By evening made the booking and voila, peace! Plans galore to create the shared experiences.

Now the spanner in plans, RE with best of their wisdom chooses not to start the test rides. Waiting starts, day 1, 2, 3 and in the meantime youtube keeps rolling. By end of the week ready to check more options, remember Super Meteor booking was on reflex, RE allowed me to research and so did I. Finalized baselines –
  1. Must satiate the want to create our shared experience – implies equally comfortable to both rider and pillion.
  2. Average running to comprise some office drives and some short day drives around Bangalore (Again, to squeeze some shared experience while we navigate the Bangalore traffic) – implies no more than 1000 odd kms running per month
  3. Larger engine – simply put, why not? Baseline set as multi-cylinder, a minimum of 650cc around.
With above baselines, we went straight to Kawasaki. Inquired for Vulcan and Versys 650, neither available for test rides, not that the showroom folks were interested had there been one available for test ride. Nonetheless, looked around with self gathered knowledge, Versys 1000 caught our fancy and we asked for quotes, exchanged whatsapp number and left. In hindsight, I must have asked them to send the quote wrapped in scroll, tied with golden feathers. And I am sure the salesperson is seeking special permissions from Kawasaki Japan to cater to my request and therefore the unending time to send the quote.

Next comes Triumph, the brand holds some additional brownie points for being our golden apple at one point of time. Went straight in for the V650 equivalent and had a proper test ride in Tiger660, discussed at length on Bonneville range, exchanged quotes and headed home to soak in our indulgence of buying a bike, buying a mid range bike, then jumping on to 1.2L , 15L buying intent. All because RE will not give me a test ride and let me close my indulgence then and there.

Next in line was pragmatism, it is indeed interesting how with time in hand we can traverse all the possible emotions in one hand and reasoning on the other. So our pragmatism led to this –
  1. Enough of loans, buy with spare cash. Okay can do SuperMeteor now, anything more add some months. Not much worried with wait, but right now-right away type indulgence goes for a toss.
  2. We buy SuperMeteor, and also start ridding equal to or more then what we are currently expecting. In that case, SuperMeteor is going to be 'less' with ‘Want’ kicking in. GTO’s thread on buying the bigger, better choice comes to play.
  3. We wait and buy bigger, but the enthusiasm goes down and I am sitting on a depreciating asset. May happen with SuperMeteor as well, but possibly easier to digest.
Now that you are aware of my riding background, the need, the want, the logic or ill-logics I again present my predicament “To buy a decent motorcycle now or save for bigger?

Thank you for reading through and even happier to have your insights, opinions. Thanks!

~ArB
arb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 09:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buy a decent 650cc motorcycle now, or save for something bigger?

Welcome to TBHP

Answer to your question isn't that easy. On one hand "if not now then when" implies going with what you like be it the Triumph, Kawasaki or the Royal Enfield but how long will the interest last forces one to look at the financial hit you're going to take once the initial excitement subsides.

Logic dictates getting a easy to own RE which can be used to service local needs and runs without burning a hole in your pocket in maintenance costs. The 650 twin won't leave you wanting on highway performance but how it feels on the heavy super meteor is something I haven't tried so you'll need to check that out yourself.

But, we haven't got to the most important part, what would both of you like to ride or rather dream to own ?
If it's a Triumph or Suzuki then be wary of the ASC and spares issues reported on the forum etc. My point being that if going for "big/imported" bikes be wary of what you're signing up for.

If there's nothing that you really dream about then try out the easier options to live with and that would mean both of you

Also try out these in addition to the ones you've already tried :
- Honda CB 500X
- Suzuki VStrom 650 XT
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buy a decent 650cc motorcycle now, or save for something bigger?

I always believe to take it easy and make incremental upgrades when it comes to bikes, stick to smaller bike when you are just getting into the game of getting to riding again. Get used to the power and ride aroud, 650 is all the bike you need for touring this country, but start atleast here if not lower.

RE hold there value well in the market, think of the depreciation as investment gone into getting used to riding again and also checking your interest, if it stays and you want more go for a bigger bike. You can also pick a pre owned Interceptor 650 to get the ball rolling, that way when you sell it depreciation will be even lesser.

You have rodeen P180, not sure what your wife has ridden as you did not mention but if it was also not a big bike, please avoid them for now. The bigger bikes mask there speed really well, and if you are just getting used to it, they might get scary then fun in initial few days. Rest you are the best judge, stay safe, ride long!

Last edited by AtheK : 2nd March 2023 at 15:42.
AtheK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 18:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are resuming riding after 10 years and your last was a P180, I would strongly suggest you to NOT restart with the Litre class or equivalent. Stick to the 650 segment or near-abouts and give yourself time to adapt to riding a big, powerful motorcycle. These are just not as forgiving as smaller bikes and you don't really want to have this realisation at the last instant!
roy_libran is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 19:11   #5
BHPian

Imagine this question in 2010.

An affordable 650 twin would have been a dream.

Get what you can now. There will be something new around the corner always. You can upgrade at sometime in the future if the need and the chance comes.
Mafia is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 01:11   #6
BHPian

You are the best to judge the requirement, and then consider other aspects like service and maintenance, and whether to buy one now and upgrade later. But I can suggest some models.
Since you are checking out bikes across various ranges, with 650cc being your baseline/ choice, you could just check the CB650R.

The Triumph Tiger 660 is a triple, whereas the Kawasaki 650s are 2 cylinder bikes. How much did you like the Triumph after the test ride?

You can check out the BMW F900XR or the F850GS (850GSA has a larger fuel tank), which are also well equipped and sufficiently powerful.

The Honda CB500x would probably suit you, with a balance of comfort and power, but it is currently unavailable.
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 06:01   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Incremental upgrades are the way to go. Your last motorcycle was a 180 cc. Go for the 650 now. There has been a gap too without riding. Get used to the power of the 650,and, then decide if you want to upgrade at all. Many have gone to the litre bike category straight and have suffered due to inability to handle the power. You take a financial hit too when you realize you cannot handle those bikes and try to dispose them off. Have fun!!
rajeevsulu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 08:20   #8
BHPian

Like others have said, you coming from a P180 and 10 years ago, I highly recommend starting off smaller. That said,

- the RE is a good choice but after sales is questionable. Do not expect any special treatment (That's reserved for sales ONLY ).

- I personally use the KTM, I understand you are looking for big bikes, but the 390 is a very decent starting point and will never leave you wanting more. Personally I stopped thinking about 650cc upgrades, Tho I dream of one and I can buy one but doesn't make sense, since my 390 is more than powerful enough for my highway/city/track/everything. Take a look at the ADV version. or even the BMW ADV.

- I'd stick with the Kawasaki 650, they're proven and reliable. Triumph is also an amazing bike and I love their 650, but dropping either will cost a pretty penny. Not that Kawasaki costs anything less but it'll be more expensive to fix.

- Third option, try pottering around on the Hero XPulse (yes it's a 200cc) or even the Himalayan, BUT, it'll give you an idea and warmup of how it would be with pillion riding. Riding pillion actually adds a LOT of fatigue if the bike is not made right. It will also give you a starting point since 10 years is a lot of time (I'm assuming you didn't touch a bike since 10 years, not counting scooters).

The reason I highly recommend KTM/Bajaj is their vast service network and cheaper to fix parts in case of a drop. If you're not happy, one email to Bajaj and they'll come running to you for your satisfaction.

I'm not saying you should drop bikes, but considering you're coming back after 10 years, I'll reiterate to take it easy and slow. Probably start with a used 200cc Pulsar to get the hang of it again and once you're confident, pick up bigger bike.

Either buy two bikes and ride together, use a headset for comms. It's a fun on its own, has lower fatigue OR buy one single powerful enough of a bike and spend on the accessories like saddles etc.

The ultimate decision is yours. This is a tough heart vs mind situation. The heart wants what it wants.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2023 at 17:21. Reason: Typo
AjayV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 14:08   #9
arb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Welcome to TBHP
If it's a Triumph or Suzuki then be wary of the ASC and spares issues reported on the forum etc. My point being that if going for "big/imported" bikes be wary of what you're signing up for.
Thank you and agreed, I will get what I sign up for. Happy to add, my accounting both mental and otherwise is well laid out in terms of investment, maintenance, running and gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Also try out these in addition to the ones you've already tried :
- Honda CB 500X
- Suzuki VStrom 650 XT
Honda CB 500X is a definite no, one I am not keen on adv and for the money it asks I will rather put a few more and pick a Versys.
VStrom 650, I have no qualms trying, wife not so much. Could it be the yellow colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
You have rodeen P180, not sure what your wife has ridden as you did not mention but if it was also not a big bike, please avoid them for now. The bigger bikes mask there speed really well, and if you are just getting used to it, they might get scary then fun in initial few days. Rest you are the best judge, stay safe, ride long!
Thanks, my dilemma remains and seemingly I must invest and see how the enthusiasm lasts. But yes, incremental upgrade does sound more reasonable. By the way, my wife rode Thunderbird, Avenger and Apache for her share of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
If you are resuming riding after 10 years and your last was a P180, I would strongly suggest you to NOT restart with the Litre class or equivalent.
Agreed, while I did not ride any litre class, I did have super fun with Tiger660 test ride and can imagine how a 1000+ might react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Get what you can now. There will be something new around the corner always. You can upgrade at sometime in the future if the need and the chance comes.
Thanks, this is exactly what I would prefer, but mind is a mysterious tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLearner View Post
The Triumph Tiger 660 is a triple, whereas the Kawasaki 650s are 2 cylinder bikes. How much did you like the Triumph after the test ride?
Liked the Tiger660 to ride, sound character was definitely high/pitchier in comparison to SM650. Kawasaki test rides are elusive. But, like I shared in my first post while Tiger660 seemed fantastic entry we ended up liking Speedmaster. Tiger is not in the list anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLearner View Post
You can check out the BMW F900XR or the F850GS (850GSA has a larger fuel tank), which are also well equipped and sufficiently powerful.
The Honda CB500x would probably suit you, with a balance of comfort and power, but it is currently unavailable.
Thanks, but not really keen, perhaps don't want my first German to be a bike. Honda CB500x neither available nor works for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Incremental upgrades are the way to go. Your last motorcycle was a 180 cc. Go for the 650 now. There has been a gap too without riding. Get used to the power of the 650,and, then decide if you want to upgrade at all. Many have gone to the litre bike category straight and have suffered due to inability to handle the power. You take a financial hit too when you realize you cannot handle those bikes and try to dispose them off. Have fun!!
Thanks and agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayV View Post
I personally use the KTM, I understand you are looking for big bikes, but the 390 is a very decent starting point and will never leave you wanting more. Personally I stopped thinking about 650cc upgrades, Tho I dream of one and I can buy one but doesn't make sense, since my 390 is more than powerful enough for my highway/city/track/everything. Take a look at the ADV version. or even the BMW ADV.
Thanks, KTM /advs in general do not find much favour with me or my better half. Not a comment on their capability, more of a personal non preference.

Quote:
- I'd stick with the Kawasaki 650, they're proven and reliable. Triumph is also an amazing bike and I love their 650, but dropping either will cost a pretty penny. Not that Kawasaki costs anything less but it'll be more expensive to fix.
True, just that Kawasaki acts to snob to get my business and Triumph leads to my dilemma in the first place. Hoping will figure soon.

Quote:
This is a tough heart vs mind situation. The heart wants what it wants.
Heart wants what it wants, atleast a midsize cruiser if not more.

Thank you for the awesome insights, took me some time to read on multi-Quote posting and so the delayed response. Was also trying to sleepover my excitement, have been told earlier 'sleep over your wants, you won't end up repenting'. True to heart, didn't help in this case.

~ArB
arb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arb View Post
VStrom 650, I have no qualms trying, wife not so much. Could it be the yellow colour?
White is the other option.

Going by what I have read so far, I would suggest to get one of the RE 650 or something in the sub 5 lakh OTR range that you guys prefer which leaves room and cash to upgrade to the liter class if you guys enjoy it and decide likewise.

Good Luck.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:42   #11
BHPian

I would say look at the used bike market. There are some sweet deals out there and the best part is that you can always sell it at very less depreciation in case you don’t like the bike or decide to upgrade further.
If I was coming back to biking after 10+ years I would just buy a Honda CB350 and happily cruise around in it but buying a big bike is a heart decision so go by what your heart says.

I personally ride a Duke 390, been contemplating upgrading to a 650 but most of the 650s provide only fractional upgrade as far as riding fun is concerned. Heart say buy a litre class naked (read Suzuki Katana) before the bikes go electric purely for their aural pleasure. Hopefully will pick up a used Katana or Z900 someday.
Zanskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 15:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you are aware of my riding background, the need, the want, the logic or ill-logics I again present my predicament “To buy a decent motorcycle now or save for bigger?
Arb, it’s now or never mostly, buy what your heart is set on, but it should also be one which you can comfortably own. Don’t go overboard with the buying price because bigger bikes need more maintenance outflow in every way.

If the purpose is local running also with having the need to park anywhere then any big superbike should be out, as in India you just cannot leave the bike unattended. Some or the other fool will come to touch it, try to sit on it and what not.

Buy one of the Royal Enfield’s for now and see how things feel after some time in your biking journey.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 5th March 2023 at 15:08.
Old 5th March 2023, 19:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Heart wants what it wants, atleast a midsize cruiser if not more.
A cruiser is probably the worst choice to buy given our road conditions. Please buy an ADV even if you might initially be put off by the looks. Beauty is only skin deep. You will understand why ADVs make sense after your first ride. I've ridden the Meteor. While that's a pretty decent bike, the foot position is pretty horrendous. Your back will feel every pothole.

Please do not blow up a ton of money right now, before you have firmly established that you will continue riding after you have got your new bike. It's common to be very excited by the purchase. You might then find that your bike is a garage queen a year down the line because priorities have changed. Or biking is just not what it made out to be. I know this sounds unexciting, but consider starting off with something like a KTM 390 ADV and upgrade later. That bike will keep up with every bike on the road without a problem and can be sold without much damage.

Please do not listen to your heart, especially when it comes to motorcycles. A bike is just a tool. What matters is what you do with it. Best of luck on your purchase.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 5th March 2023 at 19:54.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 01:32   #14
BHPian

Whichever motorcycle you pick, please pay attention to ride comfort. Engine heat and radiation for example can be very uncomfortable. 2 days back, I took a test ride of Super Meteor. While it is very impressive when it comes to power, balance and handling but then you'll feel lot of engine heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I've ridden the Meteor. While that's a pretty decent bike, the foot position is pretty horrendous. Your back will feel every pothole.
I own it since 2 years and it is a very comfortable bike. Foot position is cruiser like and takes some time to adapt.
Old 6th March 2023, 10:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I own it since 2 years and it is a very comfortable bike. Foot position is cruiser like and takes some time to adapt.
I should have been clearer. I was talking about the Super Meteor. The footpegs are very forward set. Therefore it transfers pressure onto your tailbone and compromises on the ride and handling. I would have preferred a far more neutral position.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks